Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Factor Mystic posted:

Quick poll: for people who use a mobile device to listen to music a) how much do you use playlists and b) what format are your (mobile or otherwise) playlist files, if your playlists are files (and not 'whatever spotify is').

Never, I shuffle all always.

Except in Harmony Music, where I usually have to use a genre because it doesn't have shuffle all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Tivac posted:

Never, I shuffle all always.

Except in Harmony Music, where I usually have to use a genre because it doesn't have shuffle all :(

I do the same, which in hindsight is kind of dumb because I end up skipping a lot. But I never know what I'm in the mood for until I hear it, so I am doomed to a life of shuffle. :( I too only use playlists to back up my downloaded music list.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Chasiubao posted:

Turns out a 0h 0m sleep session will cause the Health app to crash when you tap the sleep tile :saddowns:

On the band itself, or in the app? The app crashes if you select to see your sleep pattern... This doesn't happen on Android, so I hope there's an update on the way to fix this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OldPueblo posted:

I do the same, which in hindsight is kind of dumb because I end up skipping a lot. But I never know what I'm in the mood for until I hear it, so I am doomed to a life of shuffle. :( I too only use playlists to back up my downloaded music list.

What I miss from my old Creative Zen mp3 player is a random album button. I haven't seen anything else that has that, either in Windows software or mp3 players or phone app. I'm an album listener and not keen on shuffling individual songs, but popping up a random album was a great way of listening to things I haven't heard in a while.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Tivac posted:

Heh. I am strongly considering adding that in in the next version. I actually have already added it in the debug version on my device.

Uthor posted:

What I miss from my old Creative Zen mp3 player is a random album button. I haven't seen anything else that has that, either in Windows software or mp3 players or phone app. I'm an album listener and not keen on shuffling individual songs, but popping up a random album was a great way of listening to things I haven't heard in a while.

A better way of listening to do that is Zune's implementation of autoplaylists (which I'm sure isn't unique), where you can build a query that says 'include <3 or neutral rated songs that I haven't played in the last 90 days'.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

On the band itself, or in the app? The app crashes if you select to see your sleep pattern... This doesn't happen on Android, so I hope there's an update on the way to fix this.

App. Didn't notice if it crashed for all sleep patterns or just 0h 0m ones.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The guys on xda found a new way to run homebrew in 8.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8/development/xap-source-registry-tool-little-t2933964

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Chasiubao posted:

App. Didn't notice if it crashed for all sleep patterns or just 0h 0m ones.

DOn't know if it does it on all Lumia phones - but most of the complaints I've seen, is from people with a Lumia 1020. Would it be something you could test and see if it happens, if you haven't got a 1020?

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
Has anyone run into error code c00d36c4 when trying to play podcasts? Suddenly, new episodes of podcasts I've been subscribed to for months won't play after being downloaded from Microsoft's store. Running WP 8.0 (thanks, Verizon!) on a Lumia Icon.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

DOn't know if it does it on all Lumia phones - but most of the complaints I've seen, is from people with a Lumia 1020. Would it be something you could test and see if it happens, if you haven't got a 1020?

I don't have access to a 1020, but an app update yesterday fixed the issue for me. I'm on a 920 right now, running dev preview (and had the issue on a 920). After the update I was able to go in and delete the 0h 0m sleeps.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

identity49 posted:

Has anyone run into error code c00d36c4 when trying to play podcasts? Suddenly, new episodes of podcasts I've been subscribed to for months won't play after being downloaded from Microsoft's store. Running WP 8.0 (thanks, Verizon!) on a Lumia Icon.

Lol Verizon. Did the recent Podcast app update only apply to 8.1 phones?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Quick poll: for people who use a mobile device to listen to music a) how much do you use playlists and b) what format are your (mobile or otherwise) playlist files, if your playlists are files (and not 'whatever spotify is').

the beauty of modern smartphones is all the functionality in a single device, it would literally kill me to have to carry around a media player in addition to my phone.
I'm also an always-shuffle type of person but I do always keep a playlist or two, mainly because genre information in my library is nonexistent.
I know I had to make a m3u last night for the flash drive in my GMC, I tried syncing wpl right from Windows Media Player to my 1020 and it behaves very oddly. Only some of the songs will be on the list, but on the list of playlists it will say there are as many songs in that playlist as there should be, but when I go into it, it will just be the first 15-20 or so over and over. That xbox music app is one of my biggest gripes.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Just got my first WP, the HTC One. I also switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, and it's been an upgrade all around so far.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I might get poo poo on for this because this is a thread for people who like Windows Phone, but I just went back to Android (a Moto G) after two months with a Lumia 521, and god drat, I am so happy. First off, I know the Lumia is an older budget phone to start with, but I managed to jump through the hoops to get it on the Developer Preview and WP 8.1. That mitigated some of my initial reservations about it (adding Swype-like keyboard and notifications were the big ones), but the more I used it the more I longed to go back to Android.

There were some things I liked. I liked that I didn't have to "root" to remove the built in apps I didn't want. The Nokia Drive app is better than Google Maps. Live Tiles are kind of neat I guess, and the battery life was the best I've had in a smartphone, but even that ties into my main complaint: the way WPs [don't] handle multi-tasking. Let's just say if I don't see the word "resuming" again for another 10 years I'll be a happy man. I am a flipper. I will flip between the Kindle app, Facebook, messenging, web browser, etc, constantly. Getting better battery life but having to wait a half second to switch between apps is one thing to trade off, but it doesn't actually "resume". Let's say I'm browsing SA and I get a text from the wife. I switch to messaging, reply, then go back to SA. It says "resuming..." for a second and then loads the app as if I'd never been in it at all, not right where I left off, unless I switch back to it REALLY quickly. I loving hated the everloving poo poo out of that bullshit, god drat. Now someone might say this isn't WP's fault but the developer not making their app right blah blah blah, I don't care, the result is the same for me, and it was consistent between apps. I like Android's way of multitasking, and I'm used to having to charge my phone mid-day. I would've just liked a choice between "Keep everything running in the background and drain the battery, or close everything when you exit it and save the battery" so you could do it the way you wanted.

It's hard to explain, but WP's swype-like keyboard also didn't quite cut the mustard. It never suggested words that you'd taught it (like curse words), and it didn't seem to suggest the NEXT likely word in a sentence properly. I did like the suggesting emojis though, because I'm fruity like that.

I did like Cortana. I'm not sure it's better than Google Now or Siri, but seems equivalent, with the coolness factor of being Cortana and calling you O Captain My Captain or whatever you want.

But most of all, and it's been said a million times but can't be said enough, apps. Sure, you can find third-party knockoffs of most major apps, but do you trust Jim Bob's Derpbox app with your Dropbox password, since there's no official Dropbox app? And good luck finding an app for local bank's online banking. I use Simple.com for banking, and that was a big dealbreaker that even their mobile site sucks on WP. The way that things can't run in the background also killed the functionality of a lot of apps, like podcast apps. I paid for three podcast apps, but never did find one that could reliably download podcasts automatically in the background without loading the app first. I remember one day distinctly going out of my way to find a wifi hotspot, loading my podcast app so it would start to download, then switching to Facebook or something. Fifteen minutes later, assuming all my podcasts would be done, I hit the road, only to then find out that they'd all stopped downloading the instant I'd switched to the Facebook app. That blows.

I like a lot of WP's ideas, and I like a third player besides Apple and Google, but I'm happy to be rid of it.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 21, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I might get poo poo on for this because this is a thread for people who like Windows Phone, but I just went back to Android (a Moto G) after two months with a Lumia 521, and god drat, I am so happy. First off, I know the Lumia is an older budget phone to start with, but I managed to jump through the hoops to get it on the Developer Preview and WP 8.1. That mitigated some of my initial reservations about it (adding Swype-like keyboard and notifications were the big ones), but the more I used it the more I longed to go back to Android.

There were some things I liked. I liked that I didn't have to "root" to remove the built in apps I didn't want. The Nokia Drive app is better than Google Maps. Live Tiles are kind of neat I guess, and the battery life was the best I've had in a smartphone, but even that ties into my main complaint: the way WPs [don't] handle multi-tasking. Let's just say if I don't see the word "resuming" again for another 10 years I'll be a happy man. I am a flipper. I will flip between the Kindle app, Facebook, messenging, web browser, etc, constantly. Getting better battery life but having to wait a half second to switch between apps is one thing to trade off, but it doesn't actually "resume". Let's say I'm browsing SA and I get a text from the wife. I switch to messaging, reply, then go back to SA. It says "resuming..." for a second and then loads the app as if I'd never been in it at all, not right where I left off, unless I switch back to it REALLY quickly. I loving hated the everloving poo poo out of that bullshit, god drat. Now someone might say this isn't WP's fault but the developer not making their app right blah blah blah, I don't care, the result is the same for me, and it was consistent between apps. I like Android's way of multitasking, and I'm used to having to charge my phone mid-day. I would've just liked a choice between "Keep everything running in the background and drain the battery, or close everything when you exit it and save the battery" so you could do it the way you wanted.

It's hard to explain, but WP's swype-like keyboard also didn't quite cut the mustard. It never suggested words that you'd taught it (like curse words), and it didn't seem to suggest the NEXT likely word in a sentence properly. I did like the suggesting emojis though, because I'm fruity like that.

But most of all, and it's been said a million times but can't be said enough, apps. Sure, you can find third-party knockoffs of most major apps, but do you trust Jim Bob's Derpbox app with your Dropbox password, since there's no official Dropbox app? And good luck finding an app for local bank's online banking. I use Simple.com for banking, and that was a big dealbreaker that even their mobile site sucks on WP. The way that things can't run in the background also killed the functionality of a lot of apps, like podcast apps. I paid for three podcast apps, but never did find one that could reliably download podcasts automatically in the background without loading the app first. I remember one day distinctly going out of my way to find a wifi hotspot, loading my podcast app so it would start to download, then switching to Facebook or something. Fifteen minutes later, assuming all my podcasts would be done, I hit the road, only to then find out that they'd all stopped downloading the instant I'd switched to the Facebook app. That blows.

I like a lot of WP's ideas, and I like a third player besides Apple and Google, but I'm happy to be rid of it.

To each there own, but just fyi, dropbox isn't as secure as people think it is.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

To each there own, but just fyi, dropbox isn't as secure as people think it is.

Didn't say it was. Neither is email. Doesn't mean I want to give you my email password. Thanks for seizing on one tiny example there where I could've mentioned any app and just happened to mention Dropbox, though. Pretend I mentioned one of the other literally thousands of big apps for which there is no official Windows Phone version.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 21, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Didn't say it was. Neither is email. Doesn't mean I want to give you my email password. Thanks for seizing on one tiny example there where I could've mentioned any app and just happened to mention Dropbox, though. Pretend I mentioned one of the other literally thousands of big apps for which there is no official Windows Phone version.

DOn't get butt hurt, I don't care what phone you use, but you may want to switch to another storage solution if possible

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

DOn't get butt hurt, I don't care what phone you use, but you may want to switch to another storage solution if possible

Serious answer I only use Dropbox to transfer silly stuff, it's not my bank info or anything. I'd switch to Spideroak in a second if they figured out how to allow uploading/syncing upstream from mobile.

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Imagined posted:

... but even that ties into my main complaint: the way WPs [don't] handle multi-tasking. Let's just say if I don't see the word "resuming" again for another 10 years I'll be a happy man. I am a flipper. I will flip between the Kindle app, Facebook, messenging, web browser, etc, constantly. Getting better battery life but having to wait a half second to switch between apps is one thing to trade off, but it doesn't actually "resume". Let's say I'm browsing SA and I get a text from the wife. I switch to messaging, reply, then go back to SA. It says "resuming..." for a second and then loads the app as if I'd never been in it at all, not right where I left off, unless I switch back to it REALLY quickly. I loving hated the everloving poo poo out of that bullshit, god drat. Now someone might say this isn't WP's fault but the developer not making their app right blah blah blah, I don't care, the result is the same for me, and it was consistent between apps. I like Android's way of multitasking, and I'm used to having to charge my phone mid-day. I would've just liked a choice between "Keep everything running in the background and drain the battery, or close everything when you exit it and save the battery" so you could do it the way you wanted.

That isn't the developers fault or WPs fault, it's that you had the lowest of the low end phones and then upgraded it to 8.1 which for the 521 makes that resuming stuff worse on that phone because it is cheap. Even few year old mid range windows phone will perform far better, let alone one of the flagships. I agree though the resuming stuff is annoying but it's the trade off you make for getting a fully featured phone for very little.

The app situation I also understand, but that tends to come down to what you use. If you want the latest and greatest apps then it may not be for you, but the funny part about lack of official apps in some cases, it means that we get 3rd party apps that are sometimes better than official ones.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OneDrive and OneNote are two of my main reasons to stick with WP for another generation (well, if one arrives).

This thread is *anything* but blind to the rather poor case for WP as a general Android/iOS competitor though (smooth on low-end hardware, simple to use, and pure Nokia hardware/maps advantages tending to be the only clear-cut parts of the pitch). The thread is rather too negative a lot of the time, but the issues are real.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Imagined posted:

I didn't know what I was doing, didn't give it time, and was a cheapskate.

Yeah, Android is totally up your alley, succinct guy.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Dazzleberries posted:

That isn't the developers fault or WPs fault, it's that you had the lowest of the low end phones and then upgraded it to 8.1 which for the 521 makes that resuming stuff worse on that phone because it is cheap. Even few year old mid range windows phone will perform far better, let alone one of the flagships. I agree though the resuming stuff is annoying but it's the trade off you make for getting a fully featured phone for very little.

Well... it's a bit half and half. I can only speak for my forums app, but if I really really wanted it to perform better on those low ram devices, there are things I could do. The big issue is that, when I last tried it on my 521 months ago, is that my view models all lose state, so basically I have to recreate the exactly flow of what you're doing when you go back. On a higher ram device, this rarely happens. On the 520/521, this basically happens when you open any other app. Now, I could cache what your doing into storage and reload it (and the recent rewrite I did could make that a real possibility) but based on the stats I have for who is actually using the app, it's not the highest priority.

Judging from my newest stats, 209 people have downloaded it. The vast majority of which are on "flagship" hardware. Nearly all of the rest are on the 520/521, with only a handful left on "midrange" devices.

Also, I don't think "It's cheap, you get what you pay for" is a good enough excuse for the "Resuming..." problem. It's a bad user experience, plain and simple.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/microsoft-changes-windows-phone-developer-agreement-takes-bigger-cut/?utm_source=mainrss

FYI Microsoft is ditching it's developer friendly policy that once you make $25,000 dropping the rev share from 30%-20%. I'm not sure many people care but it kinda sucks.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Drastic Actions posted:

Also, I don't think "It's cheap, you get what you pay for" is a good enough excuse for the "Resuming..." problem. It's a bad user experience, plain and simple.

Yeah, I'd agree. 512MB devices are not a great experience.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, the Lumia 535 is probably a sign that the age of 512 MB is over. Not that sure it was ever that wise a tier to have.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah, the Lumia 535 is probably a sign that the age of 512 MB is over. Not that sure it was ever that wise a tier to have.

It was fine for launch devices but they should have stayed at 8, just like the 256 devices were fine for 7.5 but should have stayed on original software.

"Upgrades" to the OS always only really help flagships/future phones nothing else gets the polish required. Even non-current or last gen iPhones usually suffer from a worse UX from iOS upgrades.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd buy the argument that the specs were too low to expect mult-tasking to work properly if I hadn't had the experience of multi-tasking working much, much better (to my tastes) on the five or six Android phones I've had since 2008 when I bought the HTC Dream/G1. I do expect a phone that low-end to lag when switching between apps, to have some longer loading times, but I don't expect it to forget what I was doing entirely.

I will say that for $50, you probably can't get a better phone that isn't used/refurbished. I didn't want to spend more than that because I had broken my normal phone and a) just needed a new phone, any phone and b) I was skeptical of buying into WP already because I think Microsoft is going to take the whole thing out behind the shed sooner rather than later, no matter its objective quality, so I didn't want to shell out for some $500 flagship phone.

As far as not upgrading to 8.1... I guess an incremental update like that didn't give me pause as much as something like going from IOS6 to IOS7. 8.1 from my perspective just added a handful of necessary quality of life features (like I couldn't even have lived with the phone without a swype-like keyboard) and so I didn't think of it as a huge OS upgrade. That was possibly my mistake, but I'd have never bought the phone at all if I'd thought I couldn't get the features that 8.1 brought. Also possibly my fault for coming at it from the Android perspective of immediately ditching the ROM that came on the phone and getting better performance/more features/better value-for-money with developer ROMs, which until the last two years or so was basically obligatory on droids.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 21, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I'd agree. 512MB devices are not a great experience.

I'll add to this to say that I had a similar experience. The Lumia 521 was pretty serviceable on 8.0, but is very slow on 8.1. It was absolutely terrible with Cortana enabled, but it's still slower than 8.0 with Cortana disabled. I just tried to launch the podcast app and was met with a 5 second "resuming" screen followed by at least 10 seconds of really sluggish behavior.

I wouldn't suggest anyone buy a 512 MB phone at any price now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I understand you. I use both a Galaxy S4 (Google Edition) and a Lumia 925 with 8.1 Cyan. I love my Lumia because I love WP's UI, how it handles, live tiles and the camera but it's way slower when rotating the screen between portrait and landscape, apps (seriously, I want a proper video player) and battery life is more or less the same as my S4 (2000mAh vs 2600mAh) considering that it has a slightly smaller screen and a less power hungry cpu. My 925 sometimes goes to sleep and has a few long resuming moments every day, nothing annoying. I like WP overall and I think I'll upgrade my 925 next year if I see a smaller app gap and Windows 10 being plain better.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Guillermus posted:

(seriously, I want a proper video player)

VLC is coming really really soon. As an audio player, it will suck (trust me, I've seen and worked on that side of it, and uggghhhh Windows Phones APIs make it a pain) but the video player is legit great. Plays everything you can throw at it, just like how you would expect VLC to.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

How is the subtitle support? The last time I touched the Windows 8 version, it would only work with external and basic subtitle files which is useless to me since most of the stuff (fansubbed anime) I watch has an advanced subtitle file(s) muxed in .mkv files.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I switched to an LG G3 and the only thing I miss, oddly enough, is podcast support. It seems like Android doesn't have a baked in way to handle it and everyone wants you to pay for their app.

I am going to roll with this phone for a while and see what WP has up it's sleeve. I do miss my tiles.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Stick100 posted:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/microsoft-changes-windows-phone-developer-agreement-takes-bigger-cut/?utm_source=mainrss

FYI Microsoft is ditching it's developer friendly policy that once you make $25,000 dropping the rev share from 30%-20%. I'm not sure many people care but it kinda sucks.

It only sucks for people making more than $25k on their apps ie nobody. Seriously, a 5% incentive or whatever doesn't matter. It wasn't particularly "developer friendly" before, and it still isn't. No change. This policy isn't a story, it's just an excuse to pick on the 3rd place player.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Edward IV posted:

How is the subtitle support? The last time I touched the Windows 8 version, it would only work with external and basic subtitle files which is useless to me since most of the stuff (fansubbed anime) I watch has an advanced subtitle file(s) muxed in .mkv files.

Nah, I made sure that won't work just to spite Anime people like you :smug:

But seriously, that should work, as far as I know (I'll check later when I get back to my 1020). It should also be in the newest Windows 8.1 release too I think. If not, I'll ask about it.

Fun fact: I partially translated them both into Japanese (because they kept hard coding everything into English and not using resource files. I basically gave up because they kept screwing around with the naming conventions and did not keep them up to date...) and, as a result, gave them screenshots of the Japanese version for the store. On the English version, the screenshots they took it has some anime being shown (some of the guys on the team really like it, I'm indifferent).

Since I don't really watch it, my screenshots that I gave them had episodes of Downtown and some J-pop bands :3:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 22, 2014

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I love playlists. I create many playlists on my computer.

I can't seem to get them on my loving phone.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

JPrime posted:

I love playlists. I create many playlists on my computer.

I can't seem to get them on my loving phone.

If you don't say what format, you're probably just going to keep being disappointed.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is the resolution on the 830's screen slightly worse than the 920? I checked it out in the store today and it seemed, for lack of a better description, sub-retina (i.e. some of the icons and text within the tiles was noticeably pixelated). For all of the other "side-grade" specs on that phone, it would be truly disappointing to move to a phone with a screen that's worse than the iPhone 4.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

Nah, I made sure that won't work just to spite Anime people like you :smug:

But seriously, that should work, as far as I know (I'll check later when I get back to my 1020). It should also be in the newest Windows 8.1 release too I think. If not, I'll ask about it.

Just ran the Windows 8 version and drat is it so much better now. Videos no longer peg my processor like crazy and there is indeed quick access selector for audio and subtitle tracks. Unfortunately, it looks like only .vobsub files and sometimes .srt files work properly. Sometimes .srt files don't show up for selection and .rear end subtitle files (the most common and modern format) and sometimes .srt files won't render or show up. Fixed .rear end support is more important than .srt support though it would be nice to have for legacy reasons. I have a poo poo ton of anime with some pretty old and esoteric formats.

Until the .rear end support is improved, I'm sticking with Media Player Classic even on my Venue 8 Pro.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Edward IV posted:

Just ran the Windows 8 version and drat is it so much better now. Videos no longer peg my processor like crazy and there is indeed quick access selector for audio and subtitle tracks. Unfortunately, it looks like only .vobsub files and sometimes .srt files work properly. Sometimes .srt files don't show up for selection and .rear end subtitle files (the most common and modern format) and sometimes .srt files won't render or show up. Fixed .rear end support is more important than .srt support though it would be nice to have for legacy reasons. I have a poo poo ton of anime with some pretty old and esoteric formats.

Until the .rear end support is improved, I'm sticking with Media Player Classic even on my Venue 8 Pro.

Yeah, I'll ask um', and if it's baked into the VLC library I'll try and expose it. If not, I'll bug them until they add it. It'll probably be after in WP 8.1 release though, since that's where all the effort is going into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Windows Phone - Don't buy one until the .rear end support is improved