Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

nutranurse posted:

Part of the reason Hong Kong's gripped by protests is because, historically, they enjoyed a fuckton of freedoms that mainland Chinese polities didn't.

Yeah I can assure you that Chinese people don't consider Hong Kong part of China. I always thought that was odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

McDragon posted:

And I guess watching this episode right after the 4th of Flash threw me off a bit. Barry needs to get his salmon ladder on. I really need some kind of timeline guide thing or I will be so confused. Especially when the full-on crossover episodes start happening.
Actually, because of the full-on crossover episodes unless one or both shows explicitly contradict it I'm assuming that any given episode of one show happens on the same week as that episode number of the other show, with Flash happening first. As an example, episode 4 of Flash (Oct 28) ends with Felicity going back to Starling City, and episode 4 of Arrow (Oct 29) ends with Felicity returning from her trip. Granted I don't know how airing schedules might affect this (if at all), but for now I'm content to let my timeline guide be the episode numbers.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
So I am stuck at work and don't have the time to comb every post to see if it was officially mentioned or not but is the woman in the Hong Kong flashbacks suppose to be Katana?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Writh posted:

So I am stuck at work and don't have the time to comb every post to see if it was officially mentioned or not but is the woman in the Hong Kong flashbacks suppose to be Katana?

I believe she is Katana, yeah. Here's an article about it: http://screencrush.com/arrow-season-3-katana-tatsu-rila-fukushima-devon-aoki/

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Very much appreciated. I love how the whole DC universe is slowly unfolding from Arrow. Honestly, when I first started watching this I said to my wife that the way Arrow is setup would have made an amazing Batman story, you could have had the flashbacks and everything. They are doing a great job with both this and The Flash, Arror for you dark gritt and Flash for your comic book fun.

DC should just keep their movies as unconnected one offs (I want a Red Son movie drat it) in my opinion and focus more intensely on this shared TV universe because they are off to a great start.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Writh posted:

Very much appreciated. I love how the whole DC universe is slowly unfolding from Arrow. Honestly, when I first started watching this I said to my wife that the way Arrow is setup would have made an amazing Batman story, you could have had the flashbacks and everything. They are doing a great job with both this and The Flash, Arror for you dark gritt and Flash for your comic book fun.

DC should just keep their movies as unconnected one offs (I want a Red Son movie drat it) in my opinion and focus more intensely on this shared TV universe because they are off to a great start.

One thing I do like about DC is how it has all their different universes and how they remain separate from each other. Keep the tv movies and cartoons the same. They can have connected universes in the same media, but keep tv with tv and movies with movies. I like Shield but it shows how having a tv show being depended on a movie can negatively effect the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, between Ollie and Schmidt ain't no one know how to do laundry this week!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

I caught that too, weird theme.

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Well, now I want a scene where Nick Miller teaches Oliver how to slap a bowl of water.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I want a scene where Ollie tries to teach Nick how to slap a bowl of water.

"Slap it."
"Slap what?"
"The bowl of water."
"What? Why? Why am I gonna slap a bowl of water?"
"Just do it."
"No."
"Do it."
"No, I don't wanna do it! I don't wanna slap the water!"
"Slap the water, Nick!!!"
"I don't wanna slap the water, the water never did anything to me!"
"Just do it, slap the damned water!"
*Nick slaps the bowl off of the table and there is an awkward pause*
"Do I know kung fu yet?"
"Get out."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

But they do know how to throw a boomerang. I hope we get a scene with the Captain, Waller, and Slade. Maybe Waller and Slade like each other and hate Slade. I miss Spartacus.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Wahad posted:

Wait, really? That's kind of rad. Maybe we'll get more YJ actors on the show in the future just like we're getting a Spartacus round-up :haw:

Deathstroke was voiced by the guy playing Captsin Cold in Flash

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone know how many days after airing it takes to be able to watch Arrow or Flash on Hulu? (without Hulu plus)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know how many days after airing it takes to be able to watch Arrow or Flash on Hulu? (without Hulu plus)

Does it have to be Hulu? It shows up next day on the CW's website.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JohnSherman posted:

Does it have to be Hulu? It shows up next day on the CW's website.

That works, thank you. I didn't realize episodes also went up there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's a lifesaver. I was able to cancel my cable TV subscription entirely and just watch the shows I like over the Internet.

Except HBO, that is.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Spacebump posted:

For both Hulu and the CW website it's next day, typically around 2am.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

JavaJesus posted:

Actually, because of the full-on crossover episodes unless one or both shows explicitly contradict it I'm assuming that any given episode of one show happens on the same week as that episode number of the other show, with Flash happening first. As an example, episode 4 of Flash (Oct 28) ends with Felicity going back to Starling City, and episode 4 of Arrow (Oct 29) ends with Felicity returning from her trip. Granted I don't know how airing schedules might affect this (if at all), but for now I'm content to let my timeline guide be the episode numbers.

Yeah, I was leaning towards that too.

It's weird being caught up to Arrow. For like a week there was always another episode for me to watch and now I have to wait. It sucks.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Writh posted:

Honestly, when I first started watching this I said to my wife that the way Arrow is setup would have made an amazing Batman story, you could have had the flashbacks and everything.

Season 1 is almost the exact plot of Batman Begins: billionaire travels the world, trains in combat, comes back to clean up city, starts taking out mob bosses, and, in the final act, has to stop the villain from destroying the city slums. That + Laurel/Thea/Oliver's Mom. But I do agree with you, because it worked pretty well for Arrow. I mean, nobody is winning any emmies, but the crew seem to have a fun time making the show, and the pacing moves quickly enough to keep me entertained. It's honestly so dirty with it's cheap effects, airport-novel romances, and absurd villains that I can't stop watching it.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 22, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I was leaning towards that too.

It's weird being caught up to Arrow. For like a week there was always another episode for me to watch and now I have to wait. It sucks.

Wait till the season is over. It's like the long dark of loving Moria

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Season 1 is almost the exact plot of Batman Begins: billionaire travels the world, trains in combat, comes back to clean up city, starts taking out mob bosses, and, in the final act, has to stop the villain from destroying the city slums. That + Laurel/Thea/Oliver's Mom. But I do agree with you, because it worked pretty well for Arrow. I mean, nobody is winning any emmies, but the crew seem to have a fun time making the show, and the pacing moves quickly enough to keep me entertained. It's honestly so dirty with it's cheap effects, airport-novel romances, and absurd villains that I can't stop watching it.

Just like Batman, except one was by choice - with purpose -, and one was through duress - with some sort of vengeance thing tacked on. Ollie was less about the 'city' initially and more just about loving dudes up who went against his dad.

But yeah, I like this show it's just lonely, lying, pity-party Ollie is getting tired and played out. He's also not that heroic this season, as far as superheroes go. He's like a cop now, just with arrows and poo poo. Bruce Wayne was batman's 'public good for the entire city' persona, alongside the whole Batman side. Ollie's just nickel & diming the streets nowadays. Even Ray is more heroic, what with helping turn the city around - and with that suit now. :allears:

I think this current Ollie's super boring - we may as well just have the Diggle and Felicity Power Hour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kinda hard to be a billionaire philanthropist when you're sleeping on your baby sister's couch.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Kinda hard to be a billionaire philanthropist when you're sleeping on your baby sister's couch.

At this point Ollie's slumming it as a millionaire.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Rhyno posted:

What language do they speak there? What nationality of people live there?

They speak Cantonese there and native Hong Kongers are actually pretty miffed that the mainland is trying to make Mandarin the main language.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

nutranurse posted:

At this point Ollie's slumming it as a millionaire.

This is what happens when you're megarich and you lose everything

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm already pretty attached to Ollie, but could take or leave anybody else except Diggle. If they want to spend a season building up secondary characters so there is a bit more emotional attachment that will probably be a good thing long-term.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hong Kong is also a surreal blend of Chinese, Hong Kong, and expat cultures. Sleeping Dogs, kinda a Hong Kong GTA, is a surprisingly nuanced take on the city. There's a lot of people who will rapidfire switch between cantonese and english, peppering their language with slang from both.

I'm always impressed by how the Arrow team stretches their budget, but the Hong Kong set is basically a Vancouver street market with a few lanterns thrown in and a yellow filter applied.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Gaz-L posted:

Leeching off of of his baby half-sister who's a full decade younger than he is...my god, I just realized that Oliver is Frankie Grande.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hong Kong is also a surreal blend of Chinese, Hong Kong, and expat cultures. Sleeping Dogs, kinda a Hong Kong GTA, is a surprisingly nuanced take on the city. There's a lot of people who will rapidfire switch between cantonese and english, peppering their language with slang from both.

I'm always impressed by how the Arrow team stretches their budget, but the Hong Kong set is basically a Vancouver street market with a few lanterns thrown in and a yellow filter applied.

Vancouver must be the most magical city in the world what with how many goddamned places it can be on TV.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm already pretty attached to Ollie, but could take or leave anybody else except Diggle. If they want to spend a season building up secondary characters so there is a bit more emotional attachment that will probably be a good thing long-term.

Honestly, I kinda wish Felicity was on the Flash permanently because the chemistry is better there (acting wise). Emily Rickards and Grant Gustin seem to have a great feel of the characters together.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So did Flash being off for a week mess up the alignment of the shows? Are we going to see Barry and co randomly appear next week, and then decide to visit Starling the week after that on Flash?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shakugan posted:

So did Flash being off for a week mess up the alignment of the shows? Are we going to see Barry and co randomly appear next week, and then decide to visit Starling the week after that on Flash?

It did, but Arrow's off next week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

Nah, I think arrow isn't on next time, and then they air together the the following week.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arrow is kind of losing me this season. It seems like it wanted to tone it down for a bit, I guess for when Ras shows up to crank it up again, but it also isn't really doing anything all that interesting either. The flashback sequences are in the same boring holding pattern as well so I don't even get that to stay interested. I don't really expect every episode to connect the overarching plot for the season - Season 2 of Arrow didn't and The Flash isn't either and both were/are great - but entire plot threads have been dropped for way too long to keep interest in them, Thea especially. We see her training as a ninja or whatever and now she's just back at the nightclub and dealing with CW's idea of a top notch DJ? Ugh. It's quite possible I might just be an impatient idiot because its only been 3 episodes since we've seen Ras but those 3 episodes haven't really been all that great, even as filler episodes go.

Hopefully the crossover picks Arrow back up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

Arrow is kind of losing me this season. It seems like it wanted to tone it down for a bit, I guess for when Ras shows up to crank it up again, but it also isn't really doing anything all that interesting either. The flashback sequences are in the same boring holding pattern as well so I don't even get that to stay interested. I don't really expect every episode to connect the overarching plot for the season - Season 2 of Arrow didn't and The Flash isn't either and both were/are great - but entire plot threads have been dropped for way too long to keep interest in them, Thea especially. We see her training as a ninja or whatever and now she's just back at the nightclub and dealing with CW's idea of a top notch DJ? Ugh. It's quite possible I might just be an impatient idiot because its only been 3 episodes since we've seen Ras but those 3 episodes haven't really been all that great, even as filler episodes go.

Hopefully the crossover picks Arrow back up.

I agree. So far this season has been worse than the S1 huntress arc. I said it :colbert:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Racist.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I think that the season will/might pick up once we get find out who is the season's main villain and the main plot starts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

I think that the season will/might pick up once we get find out who is the season's main villain and the main plot starts.

There, my thoughts summed up in one sentence. We don't have a villain, we don't have a plot, we just have really ham-handed character metaphors in filler episodes and Laurel training to beat people up (after the writers forgot she could already do that).

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The beginning of Season 2 was better because you had Brother Blood to pique your interest. Sara's death doesn't work the same way because no one is really able to act on anything as solving the mystery would advance the main plot ahead too far, so everything is either a red herring or a distraction.

edit: I am still enjoying this season however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

There, my thoughts summed up in one sentence. We don't have a villain, we don't have a plot, we just have really ham-handed character metaphors in filler episodes and Laurel training to beat people up (after the writers forgot she could already do that).

They didn't forget, she's taken self defense courses. If you take a lot of self defense courses but then all of a sudden you become an aggressor you're gonna have a bad time. Plus, she was blinded by rage or whatever the poo poo. Not that the writers care about that, but still.

But let's be honest, the dude was drunk AND she had a baseball bat or whatever. She deserved to get beat for loving that situation up.

• Locked thread