Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zereth posted:

I think we haven't passed over it because I think she's still hiding the nature of her power from him.

It came up in her flashback. It is indeed a few hours, where most people take something in the range of once/twice a day tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I meant the conversation with Dick about it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, no, he still doesn't know. In fact, this next post involves more people teasing that poo poo.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, it's worth remembering that even though nominally we used electricity for the vast majority of our home power, we generate that electricity mostly with fire.

And power 99% of our cars with fire also.

The 'no fire' thing is insane.

You're missing the point. It is insane, even within the context of the story. But the people will accept it as it destroys their quality of life because of their feels and something something communism

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Shota offers Richard one request. Because he is a moron, he asks she not murder Kahlan, rather than WHERE THE ITEM THEY NEED TO SAVE THE WORLD IS.

quote:

"Richard," Shota asked, while she held Kahlan's stare, "would you be able to kill her if you had to? If she was a threat to your success, would you have the courage to kill her? If it meant the lives of everyone else? The truth, now."

Despite the disarming tone of Shota's voice, her words went through him like an ice dagger. Richard met Kahlan's widening eyes, then looked to the woman beside him. "She is my guide. I need her," he said simply, offhandedly.

Big almond eyes stared back at him. "That, Seeker, is not the question I asked."

Richard didn't say anything; he tried to betray nothing with his face.

Shota gave a smile of regret. "As I thought. And that is why you made a mistake with your wish."

"I made no mistake," Richard protested. "If I hadn't used it as I did, you would have killed her!"

"Yes," Shota nodded grimly, "I would have. The image of Zedd was a test. You passed the test, and as a reward, I gave you a wish, not that you might have something you want, but that I might do an onerous deed for you, because you lack the required courage. That was your second test. That test, dear boy, you failed. I must honor your wish. That is your mistake; you should have let me kill her for you."

See, as I mentioned, Shota can basically see down every possible timeline. They couch it in some other nonsense and this is incredibly inconsistent, but that's basically the gist of what she does. So she knows that she DOES need to help Richard to win (Rahl kills her otherwise), and only Richard CAN win, but then she starts spitting truth.

quote:

"Shota, what are these things you know?"

"The easiest first," she sighed. "You know the way you stopped the wizard's fire with the sword? Practice the move. I gave you that test for a reason. Zedd will use the wizard's fire against you. Only the next time, it will be for real. The flow of time does not say who will prevail, only that you have a chance to beat him."

Richard's eyes widened. "That can't be true.…"

"True," she said, clipping off his words, "as a tooth given by a father to show the keeper of the book, to show the truth of how it was taken." That rattled him to his bones. "And no, I don't know who the keeper is." Her eyes burned into him. "You will have to find him yourself."

Richard could hardly draw a breath, could hardly make himself ask the next question. "If that was the easy part, then what is the hard?"

Auburn hair tumbled off her shoulder as Shota looked away from his eyes, to Kahlan, who stood stone still while the snakes writhed on her. "I know what she is, and how it is she is a threat to me.…" Her voice trailed off. She turned back to him. "It is obvious you do not know what she is, or perhaps you would not be with her. Kahlan has a power. Magic power."

"That much I know," Richard offered cautiously.

"Richard," Shota said, trying to find the words for something she found difficult, "I am a witch woman. As I said, one of my powers is that I can see things as they will come to pass. It is one reason fools fear me." Her face drew closer to his, uncomfortably close. Her breath smelled of roses. "Please, Richard, don't be one of these fools; don't fear me because of things I have no control over. I'm able to see the truth of events that will come to be; I do not dictate or control them. And just because I see them, that does not mean I'm at all happy about them. It is only by action in the present that we can change what otherwise will come to pass. Have the wisdom to use the truth to your advantage, don't simply rail against it."

"And what truth do you see, Shota?" he whispered.

Her eyes had an intensity that halted his breath, her voice the sharp edge of a blade. "Kahlan has a power, and if she isn't killed, she will use that power against you." She watched his eyes carefully as she spoke. "There can be no doubt of the truth of this. Your sword can protect you from the wizard's fire, but it will not protect you from her touch."

Now, let me break this down here with the power of spoiler-vision.

If Zedd knew Richard was a living copy of the Book of Counted Shadows (hey, remember that?), he would have saved a lot of time, and kept Kahlan away from him at all costs. If Richard knew Kahlan was a Confessor, he would understand like... 90% of the BoCS' prophecy about the Boxes of Orden. If Kahlan... no, Kahlan really can't do anything here with the knowledge the boys have.

This plot right here is the climax of the novel, and it is duuuuuuuumb.

quote:

"Queen Milena has the last box of Orden." She spoke in a voice barely more than a whisper. "But heed this warning: she will not have it for long. If, that is, you choose to believe the truth, as I see it." She turned to her companion. "Samuel," she said gently, "guide them out of the Reach. Do not take anything that belongs to them. I would be very displeased if you did. That includes the Sword of Truth."

Richard saw a tear run down her cheek as she turned without looking at him and began walking up the road. She stopped in midstride and stood a moment; her beautiful auburn hair lay upon her shoulders and partway down the back of the wispy dress. Her head came up, but didn't turn back to him.

"When this is over," she said in a voice that broke with emotion, "and if you should happen to win… don't ever come here again. If you do… I will kill you."

There is no single line that Shota says more in this series beyond a variation of "if I see you again, I will kill you". It's a traditional witch-woman greeting, sort of like the multiple nuanced meanings of "aloha".

We then cut back to Giller, Rachel, and the Two Fat Ladies. The big issue: Darken Rahl is now coming tomorrow and so they need to move their "get the box and get the gently caress out" plan into overdrive.

quote:

"Rachel," he said, squatting down close to her, "listen carefully, this is very important, this is no game. We must get out of the castle, or we will both get our heads chopped off, just like Sara told you. But we must be smart about it, or we will get caught. If we run away too quickly, without doing the right things first, we will be found out. And if we are too slow, well, we just better not be too slow."

She started to get tears in her eyes. "Giller, I'm afraid to get my head chopped off, people say it hurts terrible bad."
Giller hugged her tight. "I know, child. I'm afraid too." He put his hands on her shoulders, holding her up straight while he looked in her eyes. "But if you trust me, and do exactly as I say, and are brave enough, we will get away from here, and go to where no one ever chops off people's heads, or locks them in boxes, and where you can have your doll and people will let you, and they will never take Sara away from you or throw her in the fire. All right?"

Her tears started to go away. "That would be wonderful, Giller."

"But you must be brave, and do just as I tell you. Some of it will be hard."

"I will, I promise."

"And I promise, Rachel, that I will do whatever I must to protect you. We are in this together, you and me, but a lot of other people are depending on us too. If we do a good job, we will be able to fix it so a lot of other people, innocent people, won't get their heads chopped off anymore."

Her eyes got wide. "Oh, I would like that, Giller. I hate it when people get their heads chopped off. It scares me fierce."

I really dig Giller as I reread these books. He's basically the unsung hero of this first novel. The two of them basically engage in a risky plan to have Rachel get the jewel room key from Violet while Giller secures their escape and meets here there to abscond with the girl and the Box.

Rather than see how this plays out, Goodkind assumes we want to hear about how Kahlan has taken Shota's prophecy to heart and become suicidal.

quote:

Richard didn't know how much more of this he could take. She would only talk when it was required, wouldn't listen when he tried to make conversation, and backed away whenever he got close. She acted as if his touch would be poison, but he knew it was really her touch she worried about. He had hoped that the way she was talking when they had spotted the gars signaled a change, but he was wrong. She had quickly reverted to her dark mood.

She had reduced herself to a prisoner on a forced march; had reduced him to a reluctant jailer. He kept her knife in his belt. He knew what would happen if he gave it back to her. With every step, she was drifting farther and farther from him. He knew he was losing her, but didn't have the slightest idea what to do about it.

At night, when it was time for her watch, for him to sleep, he had to tie her hands and feet to prevent her from killing herself when he wasn't watching. When he bound her, she endured it limply. He endured it with great pain. Even then, he had to sleep with one eye open. He slept by her feet so if she saw or heard something, she could wake him. He was dead tired from the strain.

Some poo poo is chasing them too but eh, we know they have plot armor. BACK TO THE HEIST. Giller sneaks the box into a loaf of bread, gives it to Rachel, and tells her that Darken Rahl is a monster ten times worse than the royals, and he cannot have this box. But in kinder terms. Rachel is actually a bright kid and catches on quick, probably from dealing with Violet for ages.

quote:

She started twisting her finger in the hem of her dress. She started to get tears in her eyes. "Giller, I'm scared to touch the Queen's box."

"I know you're afraid, child. But remember? It's not the Queen's box. You do want to help keep all those people from getting their heads chopped off, don't you?"

"Yes," she whined. "But, couldn't you take it away from the castle?"

"If I could, I swear to you, Rachel, I would. But I can't. There are some who watch me, and don't want me to go out of the castle. If they found me with the box, then Father Rahl would get it, and we can't have that, now, can we?"

"No…" Then she got real scared. "Giller, you said you were going to run away with me. You promised."

"And I mean to keep that promise, believe me. But it may take a couple of days for me to sneak out of Tamarang. It's very dangerous for the box to be here another day, and I can't get it out myself. You must get it away. Take it to your secret place, your wayward pine. You wait there for me, until I can cover our escape, and I will come get you."

"I guess I can. If you say it's important, I'll try."

Giller moved up and sat on the stool. He pulled her up with his hands around her waist, and set her on his knee.

"Rachel, you listen to me. If you live to be a hundred years old, you will never again do anything as important as this. You must be brave, braver than you have ever been before. You must not trust anyone. You must not let anyone get the box. I will come get you in a few days, but it something goes wrong, and I don't come, you must hide with the box until winter. Then everything will be all right. If I knew of anyone else to help you, I would get them to do it. But I don't. You are the only one who can do this."

She watched him with big eyes. "I'm just little," she said.

"That is why you will be safe. Everybody thinks you are a nobody. But that isn't true. You are the most important person in the world, but you can trick them because they don't know. You must do this, Rachel. I need your help so much, and so does everyone else. I know you're smart enough, and brave enough to do it."

She could see that his eyes were wet. "I'll try, Giller. I'll be brave and do it. You're the bestest man in the whole world, and if you say to do it, I will."

He shook his head. "I have been a very foolish man, Rachel, I have been far from the bestest man in the world. If only I had been wiser before, and remembered the things I was taught, my true duty, the reason I became a wizard in the first place, maybe I wouldn't have to ask you to do this. But just as this is the most important thing you will ever do, it is also the most important thing I will ever do. We must not fail, Rachel. You must not. No matter what happens, you must not let anyone stop you. Not anyone."

I don't think I'm spoiling a thing to say that Giller will not be out to take Rachel away. I'm sorry, Giller. You were too good for this world. Literally. You're one of the only good people in this entire world. At least he goes out like a boss.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Poor Giller. He was way more heroic than Richard.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So this is like the third premonition about the future that richard has been party to, and the third one in which they essentially said, "Yes, all of these things will happen or not happen based on what you, specifically, do." But Richard is not actually the only person fighting Darken Rahl, as made clear here. But apparently none of these characters' struggles or relevant at all, because the possibility of success or failure did not similarly cast the future into doubt.

I know, I know, the protagonists as the fulcrum point of history or only factor in question is not an uncommon thing where fantasy fortune-telling (or sci-fi time travel) are concerned, but drat if the entire trope isn't retroactively indicted by Goodkind's ideology. The idea that people can do bold and heroic things and make tough sacrifices to save the world but those don't actually matter unless they're chosen randian ubermensch is so hosed up and dumb. It also reinforces a certain cynicism toward real life heroism, which is weird because that's the opposite effect that good fantasy is ostensibly supposed to have.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The thread conversation was too good not to follow it up with this next post tonight, so:

Richard Cypher is a compassionate individual and our hero.

quote:

"I can't do this anymore," he whispered, looking down at her wrists in the light of the small fire. "Kahlan, you may be the one who wishes to die, but it is me you are killing."

Her green eyes came up to his; the firelight dickered in them. "Then let me go, Richard. Please, if you care at all for me, then show it. Let me go."

He lowered the rope and let it drop. With trembling hands, he slowly pulled her knife from his belt, and looked at it for a minute in the palm of his hand. The glint of the blade was blurred in his vision. He clenched the handle tightly in his fist and jammed the knife in the sheath at her belt.

"You win. Get out of here. Get out of my sight."

"Richard…"

"I said get out of here!" He pointed back the way they had come. "Go back and let the gars do the job. You may botch it with that knife! I'd hate to think you slipped and didn't finish it properly. I'd hate to think that after all this, you might not be dead."

He turned his back to her and sat on a windfall spruce that lay in front of the fire. She stood watching him in silence, then moved off a few paces.

"Richard… after all we have been through together, I don't want it to be finished like this."

"I don't care what you want. You have forfeited that right." He struggled to make the words come out. "Get out of my sight."

Kahlan nodded, and looked down at the ground. Richard leaned over, elbows on his knees, his face in his shaking hands. He thought he might throw up.

"Richard," she said in a soft voice, "when this is all ended, I hope you can think well of me, remember me more fondly than you do right now."

That was it. He came over the log with a boost of one boot on top. In a blink he had her shirt in his fists.

"I will only remember you for what you are! A traitor! A traitor to all those who have died, all those who will die!" Her eyes were wide as she tried to back away from him, but he held her with a vengeance. "A traitor to all the wizards who have given their lives, to Shar, to Siddin and all the Mud People who were killed! A traitor to your sister!"

"That's not true…"

"A traitor to all those and more! If I fail and Rahl wins, we will all have you to thank, and so will Darken Rahl. It is you who aids him!"

I almost want to just end this post here, because he seriously does let Kahlan walk off into the night, unarmed, to die. There is a lot more of him making GBS threads on her before she does, to boot. It's not even a "I'm going to snap her out of this", he really collapses and just sleeps after. But he really doesn't give her a knife, he knows they are being pursued by gars and other creatures, and he allows his guide to walk off in a suicidal funk.

Instead, Rachel.

quote:

All the lords and ladies were drinking their special drink. They all seemed happy to be doing it. Giller was standing behind the Queen with her other advisors. He was talking quietly to the court artist. She didn't like the artist, he scared her, he always smiled funny at her. And he only had one hand. She had heard the servants talking before, that they were afraid the artist would draw a picture of them.

The people started getting scared looks on their faces. They were looking at the Queen. They started to stand up. Rachel looked over at the Queen and saw that the people weren't looking at her, they were looking at something else, behind her. Her eyes got wide when she saw the two big men.

They were the biggest men she had ever seen. Their shirts didn't have sleeves but their arms had metal bands on them, with sharp things sticking out. The men had big muscles all over, and yellow hair. They looked like the meanest men she had ever seen, meaner even than any of the dungeon guards. The men looked around the room at the people, then went and stood on each side of the big archway behind the Queen and folded their arms. The Queen huffed and turned around in her chair to see what was happening.

A man with blue eyes, and long yellow hair and white robes, and a gold-handled knife at his belt, came through the archway. He was the handsomest-looking man she had ever seen. He smiled at the Queen. She jumped to her feet.

"What an unexpected surprise!" she said in her nicest dog voice. "We are honored. But we weren't expecting you until tomorrow."

The man again smiled a pretty smile at her. "I couldn't wait to get here, to see your lovely face again. Forgive me for being early, Your Majesty."

The Queen giggled as she held her hand out for him to kiss. She was always having people kiss her hand. Rachel was surprised at what the nice-looking man had said. She never knew anyone who thought the Queen was lovely. The Queen took his hand in hers and brought him forward.

"Lords and ladies, may I introduce Father Rahl."

Father Rahl! She looked around to see if anyone had seen her jump, but no one had; they were all looking at Father Rahl. She was sure he was going to look at her, and see that she was going to run away with the box. She looked at Giller, but he didn't look back. His face was white. Father Rahl was here before she had run away with the box! What was she going to do?

She was going to do what Giller had told her to do, that's what. She was going to be brave and save all those people. She had to think of a way to get out.

This chapter, I will say, is actually rather tense. Rachel is constantly trying to balance putting on the innocent girl facade with not tipping anyone in the room off to her plans to flee, as Rahl immediately calls for the box and makes a scene, having Giller escorted off to be interrogated when he instantly spots the fake.

Her escape is haphazard and relies on her working the guards' fears of Violet, who actually tries to stop her at one point, before Rachel burns her with the fire-wand Giller gave her and then locks her in her "sleeping box". Did I mention Violet made her sleep in a lockable box? In the end, she manages to get outside of the castle walls (despite Rahl's orders, as the royal soldiers fear the bloodthirsty Princess Violet over "Father Rahl's" kindly image) and, well...

quote:

She could see the outline of the castle against the starry sky, the notched top edge of the wall, the towers with lights in them. She was never going back there again, never. Her and Giller were going to run away to where people were nice and they were never going to come back. While she was panting, she heard a voice.

"Rachel?" It was Sara, she realized.

She laid Sara in her lap, on top of the bundle. "We're safe now, Sara. We got away."

Sara smiled. "I'm so glad, Rachel."

"We're never going back to that mean place again."

"Rachel, Giller wants you to know something."

She had to lean close; she could hardly hear Sara's voice. "What?"

"That he can't come with you. You must go on without him."

Rachel started to get tears. "But I want him to come with me."

"He would like to, more than anything, child, but he must stay and keep them from finding you, so you can get away. It's the only way to keep you safe."

"But I'll be afraid by myself."

"You won't be by yourself, Rachel, you will have me with you. Always."

"But what am I to do? Where am I to go?"

"You must run away. Giller says not to go to your old wayward pine, they will find you there." Rachel's eyes got big when she heard this. "Go to a different wayward pine, then the next day, another, just keep running away and hiding until the winter comes. Then find some nice people who will take good care of you."

"All right, if Giller says so, that's what I'll do."

"Rachel, Giller wants you to know he loves you."

"I love Giller too," Rachel said, "more than anything."

The doll smiled.

All at once, the woods lit up with blue and yellow light. She looked up. Then came a sudden loud bang that made her jump. Her mouth dropped open; her eyes were wide as they would go.

A giant ball of fire came up from the castle, from behind the walls.

The ball of fire lifted into the air. Sparks dropped from it, and black smoke rolled away. The fire turned to black smoke as it went higher, until it was all dark again.

"Did you see that?" she asked Sara.

Sara didn't say anything.

"I hope Giller is all right."

She looked down at the doll, but she didn't say anything, or even smile back.

Rachel hugged Sara to her and picked up the bundle.

"We better get going, like Giller said."

When she went past the lake, she threw the key to her sleeping box as far as she could, out into the water, and smiled when she heard it splash.

Since from memory we will never see his half of the scene and just have it described by Rahl: know that Giller went out like a goddamn boss. He went all Goku and threw his lifeforce into a final deathblow of "Wizard's Life Fire". It's probably not ruining it to say it didn't work, but still, at least he went whole-assed into that attempt.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

"I said get out of here!" He pointed back the way they had come. "Go back and let the gars do the job. You may botch it with that knife! I'd hate to think you slipped and didn't finish it properly. I'd hate to think that after all this, you might not be dead."

Richard is a TCC mod?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Giller's death was probably the saddest part of the part of this series I read. He was, as far as I remember, a genuine, compassionate individual who kills himself to help save the world and a little girl. He was the only(? I think. It's been awhile) character whose death made me go 'oh man that really sucks', and I don't think it was all Goodkind's writing but the scene where Rachel is talking to the doll as it turns off was a really sad scene when I read this book as a kid.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

RIP Giller, you were too good for this universe. No, really, everyone else is a randian uberprick so you had to die. Sorry, man.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Wasn't Giller supposed to be trying to redeem himself for betraying Zedd or something, and doesn't that mean he died without anyone knowing what he did.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bucnasti posted:

Wasn't Giller supposed to be trying to redeem himself for betraying Zedd or something, and doesn't that mean he died without anyone knowing what he did.

Apparently, selling your services like Giller did for the queen is taboo for wizards. Except, he secretly did it to protect the Box from Dark Roll. He's 100% a better person than every other adult human in these books, and he dies pointlessly near the beginning of the whole series.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Plague of Hats posted:

Apparently, selling your services like Giller did for the queen is taboo for wizards. Except, he secretly did it to protect the Box from Dark Roll. He's 100% a better person than every other adult human in these books, and he dies pointlessly near the beginning of the whole series.

I only read the first book, and I remember feeling pretty bad about Giller. Did anyone ever know what he did and why?

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014

Bucnasti posted:

I think that Zedd noticed that Giller gave his life for a good purpose, something like the residue left by the wizard's life fire being sweet, if memory serves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's got more impact because it's actually heroic. Here we have a compassionate wizard working against someone who is way stronger than him and who he knows can kill the hell out of him and the abused young girl who has to be brave and stand up to accept what she's got to do to keep said bad guy from getting a macguffin. Giller and Rachel aren't in control, they aren't super plot armored and 'ubermensch', and thus they have to display actual bravery and act like people. There's no smug righteous anger here or anything, just a kind old man sacrificing his life to save the world and a young girl he cares about while she has to improvise an escape and have the strength to move on. That's the stuff of an actual good story.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Since from memory we will never see his half of the scene and just have it described by Rahl: know that Giller went out like a goddamn boss. He went all Goku and threw his lifeforce into a final deathblow of "Wizard's Life Fire". It's probably not ruining it to say it didn't work, but still, at least he went whole-assed into that attempt.

Giller really is my favorite part of the book.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's all downhill from here :getin:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Night10194 posted:

It's got more impact because it's actually heroic. Here we have a compassionate wizard working against someone who is way stronger than him and who he knows can kill the hell out of him and the abused young girl who has to be brave and stand up to accept what she's got to do to keep said bad guy from getting a macguffin. Giller and Rachel aren't in control, they aren't super plot armored and 'ubermensch', and thus they have to display actual bravery and act like people. There's no smug righteous anger here or anything, just a kind old man sacrificing his life to save the world and a young girl he cares about while she has to improvise an escape and have the strength to move on. That's the stuff of an actual good story.

But isn't sacrificing oneself for the sake of others one of the ultimate evils of altruism in Randian philosophy?

Did Goodkind intend him to come off as a good guy who wasn't a strawman?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He made the mistake of not completely trusting Zedd right from the start. This is that mistake catching up with him.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah you have to realize in this series that not doing what Richard/Zedd say/want at all times is, itself, a HUGE MASSIVE SIN deserving of death. Like the further on you get in the series the more this is explicitly evident. Basically anyone who ever does a single thing that is not What Richard Wants suffers a heinous and violent death as a direct result, outside of a very, very select few plot-armoured characters who I think all die later anyway.

This is especially weird because Richard is shown to be wrong ALL THE TIME.

It's actually an interesting study in the good/evil paradigm of monotheistic religions. Is something good because there is inherent good in the universe, or is it good because it's what God wants?

Clearly Goodkind believes the latter.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

One wonders why Zed allowed the Boxes and the Sword to be distributed as trophies, when he seems perfectly willing to bilk people for petty reasons, and we later find out that he has the perfect treasure storehouse to keep all this ridiculous macguffin crap locked away. Of course, the answer is that he had to allow people to "learn from their own mistakes", even if that means letting the world blow up and shirking presumed duties of his post. It's like how you have to let children accidentally shoot themselves to teach them gun safety.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Plague of Hats posted:

One wonders why Zed allowed the Boxes and the Sword to be distributed as trophies, when he seems perfectly willing to bilk people for petty reasons, and we later find out that he has the perfect treasure storehouse to keep all this ridiculous macguffin crap locked away. Of course, the answer is that he had to allow people to "learn from their own mistakes", even if that means letting the world blow up and shirking presumed duties of his post. It's like how you have to let children accidentally shoot themselves to teach them gun safety.

Incoming Wizard Shotgun comic in 3...

A lot of that is probably laziness too - the spoilered stuff wasn't part of the world until later in the series, so then Goodkind has to retroactively justify Zed's actions given the new info. Since he's not a good writer, he does a lazy rear end-pull of "people have to learn from their mistakes," but the real answer is, of course, "[spoilers] didn't exist when I was writing Book 1."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
A lot of this series real issues seem to me to be down to the fact that Goodkind didn't ever seem to think beyond the book he was currently writing. There are a whole bunch of instances (though none spring to mind in detail) IIRC where he basically added something to a later episode which would have perfectly fixed a huge problem in earlier episodes and somehow no-one knew about it back then because

Or, for that matter, no-one remembered it later on (loving DRAGONS, HEART HOUNDS etc etc etc) because

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Plague of Hats posted:

Actually this is a very good question. The in story reason we have right now is that he allowed it to happen due to his grief over what happened to his daughter. But we know she survived. So it is a good question.

He doesn't forget about dragons! He kills them off-screen in the fifth book because he was tired of constantly being asked about Scarlet

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Magnificent posted:

He doesn't forget about dragons! He kills them off-screen in the fifth book because he was tired of constantly being asked about Scarlet

At this point no joke I personally started to hate Goodkind. Goodkind is anathema to all that is good, seriously. :mad:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Sadly, all good things must end, and just like Giller's life, so does Kahlan's exile. For some reason Richard wakes up and she's just sitting there on a log. Luckily, that whole episode FINALLY gets her to explain being a Confessor.

Poorly.

quote:

She nodded. "Remember when I told you that some who lived in the Midlands were creatures of magic? And that they couldn't give up that magic, because it was part of them?" He nodded to her. "Well, I am one of those creatures. I am more than a woman."

"So, what are you?"

"I am a Confessor."

Confessor.

Richard knew that word.

Every muscle in his body went stiff. His breath caught in his throat. The Book of Counted Shadows suddenly flooded through his mind. Verification of the truth of the words of the Book of Counted Shadows, if spoken by another, rather than read by the one who commands the boxes, can only be insured by the use of a Confessor...

His mind raced, as if flipping the pages in his mind's eye, scanning the words, trying to remember the whole book, trying to remember if Confessor was mentioned again. No, it wasn't. He knew every word in the book, and Confessor was in it only once, at the beginning. He could remember puzzling over what a Confessor could be. He hadn't even been sure, before, that it was a person. He felt the weight of the tooth hanging around his neck.

Kahlan frowned at the look on his face. "Do you know what a Confessor is?"

"No," he managed. "I heard the word before, that's all… from my father. But I don't know what it means." He struggled to regain control of himself. "So, what does it mean, to be a Confessor?"

Kahlan pulled her knees up, hugging her arms around them, withdrawing just a little. "It's a power, magic power, that is passed from mother to daughter, going back almost as far as there have been the lands, back beyond the dark time."

Richard didn't know what the "dark time" was, but didn't interrupt. "It is something we are born with, magic that is part of us, and cannot be separated from us any more than you could be separated from your heart. Any woman who is a Confessor will bear children who are Confessors. Always. But the power is not the same in all of us; in some it is weaker, in some, stronger."

"So you can't get rid of it, even if you wanted to. But what sort of magic is it?"

She looked away, to the fire. "It's a power invoked by touch. It's always there, inside us. We don't bring it out to use it; instead, we must always hold it in, and use it by releasing our grip of it, relaxing our hold and letting it come forth."

"And what does this power do?"

She twisted the corner of her cloak. "It does not reveal itself well in words. I never thought it would be this troublesome to explain, but to someone who is not from the Midlands, well, it's difficult to put into words. I have never had to do this before, and I'm not even sure it can be done, accurately. It's a little like trying to explain fog to a blind person."

"Try."

She nodded and stole a look into his eyes.

"It is the power of love."

Richard almost laughed. "And I'm supposed to be afraid of the power of love?"

Kahlan's back stiffened; indignation flared in her eyes: indignation and the kind of timeless look Adie and Shota had flashed him, one that said that his words were disrespectful, that even his small smile was insolent. It was a countenance he was not used to seeing her direct at him. He felt a cold realization that Kahlan was not used to having anyone smile about her power, and who she was. Her look said more to him about her power than any words could have. Whatever her magic was, it was definitely not something to be smiled about. His small grin withered. When she seemed sure he was not about to say anything else flippant, she went on.

"You don't understand. Do not take it lightly." Her eyes narrowed. "Once touched by it, you are no longer the person you were. You are changed forever. Forevermore you are devoted to the one who touches you, to the exclusion of all else. What you wanted, what you were, who you were, no longer means anything to you. You would do anything for the one who touches you. Your life is no longer yours, it is hers. Your soul is no longer yours, it is hers. The person you were no longer exists."

Gooseflesh tingled up his arms. "How long does this, this, magic, whatever it is, how long does it last?"

"As long as the one I touch is alive," she said evenly.

So, y'know. NOT ACTUALLY THAT HARD TO DESCRIBE.

We finally get the explanation of why Quads exist (they are "the most economical unit" for this sort of thing, direct quote), and how Kahlan isn't just any Confessor, she is GOD MODE CONFESSOR.

quote:

"How much time?" he asked. "How much time does it take to recover after a Confessor has used her power?"

"In every Confessor the power is different. In some it is weaker, and it may take several days and nights to recover. In most, it takes about one day and one night."

Richard looked over at her. "And in you?"

She looked up at his eyes, almost as if she wished he hadn't asked the question. "About two hours."

He turned back to the fire, not liking the sound of her answer. "Is that unusual?"

She let out a breath. "So I have been told." Her voice sounded weary. "Shorter time to recover the power also means the power is stronger, works more powerfully in the one touched. That is why some of the quad members I touch are able to kill the other three. It would not be so for a Confessor with a weaker power."

Now, let's bring up, and the text does this too, how much of a dick move this is. Richard killed a man for the first time protecting Kahlan, who did not need this assistance at all. In fact, offscreen, she already solo-killed an entire Quad without him! So he got roped into this whole shitshow on account of her never opening her mouth.

Let me also point out that this is page 506. The book is roughly 800 pages. Richard, the Seeker of Truth, let almost 3/4ths of his book go by without every bothering to press for this information, or intuiting it on his own. Meanwhile, we, the readers, have seen it spelled out in slightly less detail since the first 100 pages, when she uses her power on the assassins, a night wisp, and talks about it in-depth with Zedd one night.

But enough of my bitching. Let's find out how the Seekers are related to Confessors!

quote:

Richard didn't know what to do with his hands, so he picked up a stick and started drawing lines in the dirt. "I still don't understand, why are you called 'Confessors'? What does 'Confessor' mean?" He was able to look up at her only with great difficulty.

Kahlan took on an expression of pain that made him feel sorry for her. "It is what we do. We are the final arbiters of truth. It is the reason the wizards gave us the power, back in times long forgotten. It is how we serve the people."

"Final arbiter of truth," he repeated with a frown. "Something like a Seeker."

She nodded. "Seekers and Confessors are linked in purpose. In a way, we are the opposite ends of the same magic. The wizards of long ago were almost like rulers, and they became frustrated by the corruption about them. They hated the lies and deception. They wanted a way to prevent corrupt leaders from using their power to deceive and subvert the people. You see, these unscrupulous leaders would simply accuse their political enemies of a crime, and have them executed for it, at once dishonoring them and eliminating them.

"The wizards wanted a way to put a stop to this. They needed a way that left no room for doubt. So they created a magic, and gave it a life of its own. They created the Confessors from a select group of women. They picked the women carefully, because once brought to life in these women, the power had a life of its own, and would pass to their offspring—forever." She looked down at the stick, idly watching him draw lines. "We use our power to find the truth, when the truth is important enough. Mostly, now, it is used to make sure a person sentenced to death is really guilty. When a person is condemned to death, we touch them, and then, once they are ours, we have them confess."

"Once touched, even the most vile of murderers will do as we command, and will confess his crimes. Occasionally, the courts are not sure they have the right man, and so a Confessor is called in to find the truth. In most lands, the law states that none can be put to death without first giving a confession, so all can be sure they are putting the right man to death, and not letting the guilty escape, and that it's not an act of political revenge.

"Some peoples of the Midlands won't use a Confessor; the Mud People, for example. They don't want what they see as outside interference. But they still fear us, because they know what we can do. We respect the wishes of these people; there is no law forcing them to use our services. But still, we would force it on them if we suspected there was deception involved. Most lands, though, do use us. They find it expedient.

"The Confessors were the ones who first uncovered the plotting and subversion taking place on behalf of Darken Rahl. Discovering important truths, such as this, is the very reason wizards created Confessors, and Seekers, in the first place. Darken Rahl was not happy we discovered his scheming.

"In rare cases, someone who is to be put to death without the use of a Confessor will call for a Confessor to be brought in, so that he may give a true confession, and thus prove his innocence. In all of the Midlands, this is the right of the condemned."

Her voice became softer, weaker. "I hate that the most. No one who is guilty would call for a Confessor; it would only prove them to be guilty. Even before I touch these men, I know they are innocent, but I must do it anyway. If you ever saw the look in their eyes when I touch them… you would understand. So when we are called, and even though these men are innocent, they are left..."

They get turned into talking dogs! I swear to god that was this series.

Anyway, if y'all thought we were being weird about gender before, let's ratchet that up a notch.

quote:

"Why do you always say 'she,' 'her,' 'daughter'? Why always women? What of the men, don't Confessors bear male children?" He realized his voice sounded as if it were scraping over gravel.

He listened to the fire crackling for a long time as she didn't answer. He turned back to her when he heard her crying. She looked up and held her hand out for him to help her up. Once up, she leaned against the log, pulled her long hair back from her face, and then folded her arms below her breasts.

"Yes, Confessors bear male children. Not as often as in the past, but they still do." She cleared her throat. "But the power is stronger in them; they need no time to recover. Sometimes, the power becomes everything to them, corrupts them. This is the mistake the wizards made.

"They chose women for this very reason, but didn't give sufficient thought to how the power would take on a life of its own. They didn't foresee how the power would be passed on to the offspring, and be so different in men.

"Long ago, a few male Confessors joined forces, and brought about a terrible reign of cruelty. It was called the dark time. They were the cause of it. It was a time something like now, with Darken Rahl. At last, the wizards hunted them all down and killed them. Many of the wizards died too. From that time, the wizards withdrew from trying to rule the lands. Too many of them had been killed anyway. Instead, now they only try to serve the people, to help where they can. But they no longer interfere with rulers if they can help it. They have learned bitter lessons."

Kahlan looked down, away from his eyes as she went on. "For some reason, it takes the unique compassion of a woman to handle the power, to be free from its corrupting influence. The wizards don't know the reason for this. It is similar with the Seeker: he must be the right one, one found by a wizard, or he will use the power for corrupt reasons. That is why Zedd was so angry at the council of the Midlands for taking the naming away from him. Male Confessors, not all, but most, cannot retain their sense of balance with the power. They don't have the strength to hold it back when they should." She peered up at him.

"When they wanted a woman, they simply used the power and took her. Many women. They had no restraint, no sense of responsibility for what they were doing. From what I have been told, the dark time was one long night of terror. Their reign lasted for years. The wizards had to do a lot of killing. They eventually killed all the offspring of this lust, to prevent the power from spreading, uncontrolled. To say the wizards were displeased would not touch it."

"So what happens now?" he asked warily. "What happens when a Confessor bears a male child?"

She cleared her throat again, swallowing back her sobs. "When a boy is born to a Confessor, he is brought to a special place in the center of Aydindril, where his mother places him on the Stone." She shifted her weight; she was clearly having difficulty telling him about this. He took her soft hand in both of his and rubbed the back of it with his thumbs, even though he felt for the first time that he had no business touching her in a familiar manner. "As I told you, a man touched by a Confessor will do whatever she tells him." He could feel her hand trembling. "The mother commands her husband in what he is to do… and he… he places a rod over the baby's throat… and… and he steps on both ends."

Richard released her hand. Running the fingers of both hands through his hair, he turned to the fire. "Every boy child?"

"Yes," she admitted in a voice he could hardly hear. "No chance can be taken that any male Confessor lives, because he might be one who could not handle the power, and would use it to gain dominance for himself, bring back the dark times. The wizards and the other Confessors watch carefully any Confessor who is with child, and do everything they can to comfort her if it is a boy, and therefore must be…" Her voice trailed off.

Richard suddenly realized that he hated the Midlands.

Also, I'm just gonna throw this out there: it seems like there are many more humane ways to do that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

thespaceinvader posted:

A lot of this series real issues seem to me to be down to the fact that Goodkind didn't ever seem to think beyond the book he was currently writing.

I am convinced that at least the first trilogy was planned. There's a lot of stuff in this book that he either retconned in and it worked somehow, or he really did plan to have war wizards unable to stand the taste of meat from day one. See: any scene where Rahl has a meal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Quads are known for raping confessors after they've spent their power right? Without getting love-bombed?

Makes the thing where Confessors can't have sex for fun really dumb, since we know sex is safe for their partner once the Confessor has spent her power.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"The ancient wizards decided they needed some sort of fool-proof lie detector to get around false accusations in court, because we never did the whole 'innocent until proven guilty thing'"

"So... They made a flashing light when you tell a lie? A glove that slaps you in the face? A room where you can't tell a lie?"

"Nope, a woman who touches you and then you're her mind-slave. And they forgot to stop her kids inheriting the power."

Edit: "or giving her any real way to control it! It seemed like the best option at the time."

Double-edit: actually, thinking about it, it seems whenever a wizard had a problem in these things, his go-to solution is "Hey... Hey, you guys, listen. What if... What if, are you with me, we enchanted a woman?"

Elfface fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 21, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'd say "every wizard ever is an idiot" except I'm pretty sure every being with enough intelligence to think beyond "swim swim hungry" is an idiot in this series.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Given how horrible everyone else is, I had this terrible feeling that Giller was going to turn out to be another child molester. :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fortunately for him he died before anything like that could show up.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The wizards specifically chose women to hold the power and knew that it would be passed to their children, but somehow forgot that women give birth to men about half the time. Also Confessors can't have sex for love because they release their power, but nobody ever thought about dumping their power into a goat or something and then having sex during the cooldown.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Should probably stick the Wizard's Shotgun comic in the OP.

So...the Confessors basically Bene Gesserit or Honored Matres, right? But without all the other abilities, or the constant political scheming.

The writing seems really stilted. Is that all a direct transcription? It sounds sort of like the way people write on RP forums. Or worse, how I write.
How much cash does he make doing this.

edit
^Or into a Wizard :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo like this makes me happy I spent more time consulting dictionaries trying to follow the plot than actually trying to understand the implications of all of this back then when I was reading this series.

The only good thing the Sword of Truth books have done for me was upgrading my English grades from a perpetual D into B-C range. On the other hand, now this fact is an endless source of embarrassment...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think the ethics of this series are summed up nicely by its take on emotions: anger is good, love is bad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Rockopolis posted:

Is that all a direct transcription?

Anything in quote tags is direct from the books barring me adding a [...] to signify I cut some poo poo.

You'll notice I'm rarely cutting poo poo. I am abridging heavily! Some of these chapters would take forever otherwise. But I am not editing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If you think the writing's awkward and awful now, just wait until we get to the gross sex poo poo (i.e., the last quarter of every book, and sometimes the beginning and middle, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Holy moly, we're over halfway through? In my mind, the rest that's still to come seems like at least two thirds. There's going to be a whole lot of good (meaning bad) poo poo coming really fast if I'm remembering right.

I picked up this book basically at random while volunteering at a book sale thing. I think I just saw the word "wizard" and figured that sounded good enough. Somehow, I ended up reading at least the first three or so in the series before I realized they were bad. And it took even longer before I made the connections with Rand. I still read the whole series because I couldn't stand not knowing how this lovely story ended. :smith:

On a lighter note, the show was actually sometimes decent. I was considering rewatching it and doing a similar commentary thing if the OP is cool with it, probably focusing on differences from the book, but I don't know how much material would be there since it's not as hilariously bad (or my memory is just being generous).