Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Catapult orders in. Carefully standing, facing 1531 and shooting 8 SRM4s at the Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Ops! Giving out the wrong info. This is why thread tactics is better than the goggle docs.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Congrats on your guys retaining. Jinx continues to be the greatest heel in the business.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hey PTN can I get a double check on the Warhammer's heat? I want to make sure I know what I have before posting orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

Hey PTN can I get a double check on the Warhammer's heat? I want to make sure I know what I have before posting orders.

You're at 6. I thought you fired the infernos too, but it was just the lasers.

-1 MP, no ToHit penalty

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
By my count 0928 is medium range (6+) for the Awesome. is that right?

at this point I just don't have anywhere to go that won't take me out of the fight for 2+ turns. Might as well keep shooting that Shadow Hawk.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You only have enough heat to fire two SRMs this turn and nobody else is going to be in the area to soak fire with you. Doing like eight damage is not worth sticking your neck out in front of an Awesome with no movement modifier. It's going to be another turn before the Charger is ready to commit again and the rest of us are still standing up / regrouping so you'll have time to get into a more aggressive position before the fight ends. Sal is also a huge liability for getting knocked over in general so I wouldn't worry too much about her running away from you.

If it reassures you at all, I solemnly promise not to focus down the least dangerous enemy mech on the table before you've had a chance to tap on her for your achievement.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 22, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Psion posted:

By my count 0928 is medium range (6+) for the Awesome. is that right?

at this point I just don't have anywhere to go that won't take me out of the fight for 2+ turns. Might as well keep shooting that Shadow Hawk.

Another option is to simply move backwards and put a few buildings between the Awesome and you. Sal and the Shadow Hawk aren't that dangerous.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kial posted:

Another option is to simply move backwards and put a few buildings between the Awesome and you. Sal and the Shadow Hawk aren't that dangerous.

That would be my recommendation. Just back up into the buildings behind you; it'll break LoS with the Awesome and still leaving facing the right direction to run back into the fight next turn.

(remember, you pay MP for entering a hex, not leaving one; it won't cost you any movement to start your next turn in rough terrain)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kial posted:

Ops! Giving out the wrong info. This is why thread tactics is better than the goggle docs.

I'm all for discussing orders in the thread but google docs does make it a lot easier to double-check if anyone is trying to move into the same space as you rather than trying to parse the info from posts all over several pages of thread. Especially if you're in one of the larger scenarios in terms of player count.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

^ well if there's a google doc for this fight I don't have it soooo. A doc where you can check everyone's confirmed orders would be great, for just the reason you point out, though.

Voyager I posted:

That would be my recommendation. Just back up into the buildings behind you; it'll break LoS with the Awesome and still leaving facing the right direction to run back into the fight next turn.

(remember, you pay MP for entering a hex, not leaving one; it won't cost you any movement to start your next turn in rough terrain)

sounds good. I'll back into 1226. Orders in. also firing a ML at the shadow hawk because it won't matter if I generate 4 heat vs 1, I'll be at zero next turn anyway. who knows, it might hit! (probably not)

Voyager I posted:

If it reassures you at all, I solemnly promise not to focus down the least dangerous enemy mech on the table before you've had a chance to tap on her for your achievement.

I can just see everyone off fighting the Crab and I'm like "yeah hang on guys, gotta hit this thing with a wrecking ball"

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 22, 2014

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Chameleon here - anyone have any advice for the next turn? I don't want to end up in a position where I can get my sword arm finished off by the Dragon.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Does it have line of sight on you right now? Those buildings are ...maybe covering you? You seem to be in good position to run up and laser the poo poo out of it next turn. or do it this turn. Carpe diem.

(this may not be GOOD advice)

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Hobo posted:

Chameleon here - anyone have any advice for the next turn? I don't want to end up in a position where I can get my sword arm finished off by the Dragon.

You just need to be a more difficult target than the Catapult. He'll be hit on 7s. If you jump next to him in you'll 2031 then you'll be on 8s.

Or just jump behind some buildings.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kial posted:

You just need to be a more difficult target than the Catapult. He'll be hit on 7s. If you jump next to him in you'll 2031 then you'll be on 8s.

Or just jump behind some buildings.

I'd favor aggression myself. The Dragon already has a pretty good shot on the Catapult, so there's not much point in have everyone else play passively while the Truckasaurus gets wrecked. The good news is that the Dragon will start overheating pretty badly thanks to his engine hit.

I'm probably going to jump to 1227 and put some pressure on the Shadow Hawk en route to loving with the Awesome.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Yeah, I was leaning more towards the aggression side myself, especially after what PTN said a few pages back.

Sending in orders now - jumping to 2031.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a heads-up, Thanksgiving is a high-stress time for everyone so as usual orders deadlines will be relaxed for the next week or so. I know people are going to be traveling, updates will come when they can.

Edit: Also, I made one of the players feel like an idiot in the last round of posts, so I won't be posting any more teasers for updates. Consider this a public apology to everyone in the thread if I've made you feel foolish. My comments were made with the intention of entertaining the thread readers without any consideration of the player's feelings, and I hope they'll forgive me for being a smug jackass.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 23, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The pre-update teasers are some of the most exciting posts in the thread. While we definitely shouldn't be amusing ourselves at the expense of an individuals feelings, surely neutral commentary like "Oh my, that's a lot of TACs" can still help build the anticipation without singling out individuals or giving anyone a reason to feel bad.

EDIT: also if you've started talking about physical attacks it means it's time to start f5'ing the thread harder.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 23, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I can't speak to the person who was offended, but I for one enjoy the teaser updates. There's no making fun of players by telling us hw badly you rolled the dice for one mech, or giving a wide-eyed smily and saying that you just rolled the dumbest possible crit.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The teasers are great. Please don't stop them entirely.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Echoing the teaser sentiment. You can still drive the :f5: for the thread without offending the players!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I appreciate PTN's dedication to making this as good of a thread (and game) as possible. I'm sure we'll all get it sorted out.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 24, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Teasers help build anticipation! But if you want to change teaser inclusion to an opt-in system that's your call.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think the problem was more that this particular "teaser" read like a call out and was unusually specific.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
*shrug* There's a bell curve to being sensitive like most personality traits, and some people will be on the high end and others on the low end. Not saying they don't have a right to be on either side, but I doubt anyone gives a gently caress about anyone's hilarious mistakes, as long as they try their hardest not to fail to send in orders (at least not more than once or twice).

My personal opinion is to carry on, just put in a line in the OP that asks people to opt out (it would be a bit much to require everyone to send in a PM that they're ok with ribbing) by PM and steam on - the teasers are great!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 24, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No, this wasn't a case of a player being overly sensitive. I was thoughtless and made them feel stupid. I'm hoping they're still willing to play but I also understand if they're not it's entirely my fault which undermines the entire purpose of the thread (to have fun together playing BattleTech).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, I made one of the players feel like an idiot in the last round of posts, so I won't be posting any more teasers for updates. Consider this a public apology to everyone in the thread if I've made you feel foolish. My comments were made with the intention of entertaining the thread readers without any consideration of the player's feelings, and I hope they'll forgive me for being a smug jackass.

Your teaser posts certainly DID entertain the posters and readers of this thread (which certainly number in the hundreds). One the one hand we're the forum community of a site with front page articles like this: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/advanced-warfare-funeral/. On the other hand it's very decent of you to consider your readers feelings. Though I don't recall that you ever made any post that made you come across as "smug jackass".

But basicall your thread - your rules.

P.S.
You have my permission to make me look like an idiot, it somewhat stops reduces the amount of smart assing I'm going to do.

EDIT
The new subforum name is awesome :).

P.P.S.
Please teasers! (maybe) Or put spoiler tags around them. Warning text: "Reading this might leave you feeling stupid".

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 24, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's cool of you to apologize. The teasers are still fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Guys, I don't think this whole opt-in thing is worth it, and it's dumb anyway. PTN's doing the right thing by being considerate for the players. Just let him keep going, learn from mistakes, and it'll be fine.

based on my own experience so far, I've got a few ideas on how to make "first time player" problems easier down the line, but I need to talk to someone who actually knows tabletop rules to really put it together. I think that might help a lot - remember the TT rules for this game are arcane as gently caress. Brand new people (hi, me) are routinely confused and that doesn't help anyone. Just have a little sympathy, ok :v:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I was under the impression that goons messing up their orders was a long and storied thread tradition. If this thread was your first exposure to tabletop Battletech and plotting out your movement for any given turn feels like trying to parallel park a Rubik's cube then don't worry; you're doing it right.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

Guys, I don't think this whole opt-in thing is worth it, and it's dumb anyway. PTN's doing the right thing by being considerate for the players. Just let him keep going, learn from mistakes, and it'll be fine.

based on my own experience so far, I've got a few ideas on how to make "first time player" problems easier down the line, but I need to talk to someone who actually knows tabletop rules to really put it together. I think that might help a lot - remember the TT rules for this game are arcane as gently caress. Brand new people (hi, me) are routinely confused and that doesn't help anyone. Just have a little sympathy, ok :v:

Feel free to PM or hop in #megamek on synirc, there's always a good collection of Mech nerds hanging around in there.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Voyager I posted:

I was under the impression that goons messing up their orders was a long and storied thread tradition. If this thread was your first exposure to tabletop Battletech and plotting out your movement for any given turn feels like trying to parallel park a Rubik's cube then don't worry; you're doing it right.

Very true. Any cock-up can be forgiven as long as you don't act like a certain sanguine individual.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Feel free to PM or hop in #megamek on synirc, there's always a good collection of Mech nerds hanging around in there.

Ditto here. I really enjoy being as close to a living Battletech rulebook as I can.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Lucha-charger makes me really want to play a gimmick game of mech jousting. I'm thinking this cheesemachine, a 12 hex charging nutjob, featuring TSM, a supercharger, nipple flamers, cigar laser, and a tarcomp because why not:

Charger "Supercharger" CGR-1A1s

Mass: 80 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 25,536,690 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,914

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 400 Light Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h (64.8 km/h)
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h (129.6 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Light Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
3 Medium X-Pulse Lasers
2 ER Flamers
1 Small Laser

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 122 points 4.00
Internal Locations: 4 LT, 3 RT, 3 LA, 4 RA
Engine: Light Fusion Engine 400 39.50
Walking MP: 5 (6)
Running MP: 8 (12)
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Gyro: Standard 4.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
TSM Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Armor: Light Ferro-Fibrous AV - 247 15.00
Armor Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 2 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 25 38
Center Torso (rear) 12
L/R Torso 17 26
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 13 26
L/R Leg 17 34

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small Laser HD 1 1 0.50
Medium X-Pulse Laser CT 6 1 2.00
Supercharger CT - 1 4.00
Medium X-Pulse Laser RT 6 1 2.00
ER Flamer RT 4 1 1.00
Targeting Computer RT - 2 2.00
Medium X-Pulse Laser LT 6 1 2.00
ER Flamer LT 4 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 7

Sure you could use MASC and get 13 running MP, but hey, TSM also lets you kick legs off at the drop of a hat or play rock em sock em robots while firing your flamers in the air.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I see your SuperCharger and raise you Crabby Balboa, the toughest, meanest, most determined boxing King Crab you ever did see.

code:
Crabby Balboa EI-0f-T1Gr
IS experimental
100 tons  
BV: 2,534
Cost: 37,907,000 C-bills

Movement: 3/5(6)
Engine: 300 Compact (armored)
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Cockpit: Small Cockpit (armored)
Gyro: Heavy Duty Gyro (armored)

Internal: 152 (Reinforced)
Armor: 307/307 (Heavy Ferro-Fibrous)
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso               31       42
Center Torso (rear)                 20
Right Torso                21       30
Right Torso (rear)                  12
Left Torso                 21       30
Left Torso (rear)                   12
Right Arm                  17       34
Left Arm                   17       34
Right Leg                  21       42
Left Leg                   21       42

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Laser AMS (armored)             LT     7
TAG                             HD     0

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Supercharger (armored)          CT
Angel ECM Suite (armored)       RT
Blue Shield Particle Field Damper (armored)  CT
Chameleon Light Polarization Shield (armored)  RT
All the joints and internal components are armoured as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scintilla posted:

I see your SuperCharger and raise you Crabby Balboa, the toughest, meanest, most determined boxing King Crab you ever did see.

code:
Crabby Balboa EI-0f-T1Gr
IS experimental
100 tons  
BV: 2,534
Cost: 37,907,000 C-bills

Movement: 3/5(6)
Engine: 300 Compact (armored)
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Cockpit: Small Cockpit (armored)
Gyro: Heavy Duty Gyro (armored)

Internal: 152 (Reinforced)
Armor: 307/307 (Heavy Ferro-Fibrous)
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso               31       42
Center Torso (rear)                 20
Right Torso                21       30
Right Torso (rear)                  12
Left Torso                 21       30
Left Torso (rear)                   12
Right Arm                  17       34
Left Arm                   17       34
Right Leg                  21       42
Left Leg                   21       42

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Laser AMS (armored)             LT     7
TAG                             HD     0

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Supercharger (armored)          CT
Angel ECM Suite (armored)       RT
Blue Shield Particle Field Damper (armored)  CT
Chameleon Light Polarization Shield (armored)  RT
All the joints and internal components are armoured as well.

Because I'm not an idiot clanner I'd just ignore it other than making sure it's not within 6 hexes of anything important.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's all about the Steiner Rules, yo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

It's all about the Steiner Rules, yo.

How can you steiner rules without a flamer :colbert:

e: So how do armored components work rules wise? I've never actually used a mech with them.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Pssh, there'll be plenty of fire once his mentor Apollo Crusader launches Incendiary Arrow IV's into the arena.

Armoured components work as a one-time crit nullifier. The crit destroys the armour rather than the component, giving your mech a bit more longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh please, we all know the BLOODFIST and DEATHKILLER (scroll down) are the only things that should show up in the game.

• Locked thread