Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Canemacar posted:

I saw a flood of weapon and armor mods available, but most seem to suffer from the common fantasy trope of having the best gear look ornate and tacky as gently caress. I've always preferred the simple look of your starting gear like the iron and steel tier since it actually looks like something people would fight with. Are there any mods that keep that sort of aesthetic? Or keeps the basic gear viable throughout the game?

This guy has some really nice weapons that look like actual swords. Most of the weapon mods linked in the OP are pretty good for realistic looking weapons that keep a fantasy aesthetic. I particularly like the swords in the Lord of the Rings collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Oh, anyone have a good house mod suggestion for a witchdoctor character? My Perkus run so far has been as a female Redguard named Nansi. The name came about when I was looking through the presets and found a model with her particular warpaint, but as I played it made a lot more sense. You see Nansi spawned as a Stormcloak soldier just in time to hear, "Think you're in the wrong place, friend." She took that to heart. And his heart, too. After deserting, she ran afoul of some Forsworn where she picked up a headdress that, well:

It kinda ties the whole character together, and she hasn't taken it off once in fifteen levels. So this poison-brewing curse jockey needs a place for her and her beloved bonemen to relax when they aren't romping around marshes.

Edit: vvv Now I need to find a band shirt mod for when I finally get the ability to dress my skeletons.

There's a mod that lets you use the wooden mask from Labyrinthian to zap back to the magical dragon mask room from anywhere and adds some storage chests to it. Makes a nice storage home for magical characters.

e: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9001/

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, for those of you who were asking for a while about mods that would let you assign followers to guard places and such, there's My Home is Your Home, which has apparently been around for a while, but I've never heard of it.

Anyhow, regarding followers: I was going to try Amazing Follower Tweaks, but I just couldn't get it to work.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, for those of you who were asking for a while about mods that would let you assign followers to guard places and such, there's My Home is Your Home, which has apparently been around for a while, but I've never heard of it.

Anyhow, regarding followers: I was going to try Amazing Follower Tweaks, but I just couldn't get it to work.

What do they guard against? Do NPCs gently caress with your house while you're out?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What do they guard against? Do NPCs gently caress with your house while you're out?

The Hearthfire-added homes will get skeever infestations in the basement, and sometimes giants/wolves/bandits will roll up outside and whack your livestock. I even had bandits inside Lakeview once. :argh:

I know NPCs will snag food and drink off table normally ("Hey, that was *my* sweetroll, you dick!" :ese:), and while I don't know if Skyrim followers will do it, in FONV parked followers will not only consume poo poo you leave out, sometimes they'll poke around your containers for more. <:mad:>

I don't think Skyrim has anything as... "amusing" as in FO3, if you don't catch Clover before she finds both a Fat Man and a live nuke. :supaburn:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have a weird problem with my Skyrim where all the physics interactions are turned up way too high. If I get whacked by a frost troll and I die I get thrown across the map. If I walk into a pile of bones or something they go flying and I take damage. :wtc:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have a weird problem with my Skyrim where all the physics interactions are turned up way too high. If I get whacked by a frost troll and I die I get thrown across the map. If I walk into a pile of bones or something they go flying and I take damage. :wtc:

Are you running at higher than 60fps? That will cause wacky physics in Skyrim.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Reminds me of Fallout 3 where every time I'd enter a new room or area every item would hover a few centimeters off of the ground/surface and drop back down after a second or so. Similarly kicking a nuka cola bottle would start a catastrophic chain reaction of junk flying everywhere. Getting killed by a flying armour piece was a highlight, as was a robot returning from orbit with a humongous BANG right next to my character at 2am.

Mods helped, particularly a couple of anti-crash/extra RAM enablers. Apparently the problem was my computer being a slow piece of poo poo :shrug:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Alright, I'm about ready to get this mod train started, hopefully I haven't cobbled together something hugely unstable.

One last question; I have this Alchemy overhaul mod that changes the effects of ingredients, and a different mod that adds more ingredients to alchemy shops and gathering points. These shouldn't conflict in theory, right? If an Item gets modified, that should mean that whenever it gets called it'll be the new item?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a bug with launching SKSE where my mouse will exit the game at the edges. So I'll get a white mouse from my desktop and the normal mouse in the game as well. It's super annoying because it will minimize or exit out of the game if I accidentally click then. I am running it as an ADMIN. That used to stop this bug but now it doesn't help.

Edit: figured it out. was an issue with Raptr.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 20, 2014

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

How is Skyrim's SLI support these days? I'd like to be able to play with graphics improving mods on my 1440p monitor, but it's an fps eating monster and there's no middle ground between what I have now and $2-3k bullshit, other than SLI.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are you using mods that make things do more damage? I started getting this after I installed Ultimate Combat and Combat Evolved. I think it's the same bug that makes giants launch you into space. Enemies are hitting you harder, so there's more extra damage to convert into force, which sends you flying.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is there a way to get ModOrganizer to work with both Skyrim and Oblivion? Older versions could be set up inside each game directory, but the latest one just installs to it's own directory.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

axolotl farmer posted:

Is there a way to get ModOrganizer to work with both Skyrim and Oblivion? Older versions could be set up inside each game directory, but the latest one just installs to it's own directory.
It doesn't seem to have changed. The "installer" just makes a folder and drops its files there, so you can install one for each game, or just download the non-installer version and unzip it yourself.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I was wondering, how much does Morrowloot conflict with other mods? I want to give it a spin because going back to the days of valuable loot being rare and hard to find sounds awesome. Gives you a reason to explore deserted ruin #326, and gives a real sense of payoff for finishing the more difficult dungeons.

But, I'm definitely planning to download mods to add in new weapons and armor, such as the Immersive mods, the Skyforged ones, some cloak and clothing mods, and maybe an individual piece of gear here and there. Would Morrowloot prevent them from spawning, have it's leveled list changes undone, or cause general instablity?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Canemacar posted:

I was wondering, how much does Morrowloot conflict with other mods? I want to give it a spin because going back to the days of valuable loot being rare and hard to find sounds awesome. Gives you a reason to explore deserted ruin #326, and gives a real sense of payoff for finishing the more difficult dungeons.

But, I'm definitely planning to download mods to add in new weapons and armor, such as the Immersive mods, the Skyforged ones, some cloak and clothing mods, and maybe an individual piece of gear here and there. Would Morrowloot prevent them from spawning, have it's leveled list changes undone, or cause general instablity?

Hmm, I don't think there should be much issue if you use a Bashed Patch. Now, I dont know exactly if LOOT sorts it properly (author recommends placing it after all mods that affect was it BELEV/DELEV lists). You may have to move it down a bit manually.

Burns fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 21, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Burns posted:

Hmm, I don't think there should be much issue if you use a Bashed Patch. Now, I dont know exactly if LOOT sorts it properly (author recommends placing it after all mods that affect was it BELEV/DELEV lists). You may have to move it down a bit manually.

Ok, cool. Never used Wrye Bash before, so I'm glad to hear there's some kind of solution. If nothing else, at least Morrowloot shouldn't affect the Dragonbone Ebonsteel mod since it doesn't affect your ability to craft Dragon-tier stuff.

One more question; has anyone had experience running Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases? I enjoy a bit of roleplaying; I always made sure to "camp" at a bed or safe location in New Vegas and played on hardcore mode to immerse myself. Would these two be up my alley? I like how they sound, but I'm curious how intrusive they are. I enjoy some roleplaying, don't necessarily want to spend more time not dying from cold/hunger/thirst than actually exploring and dungeon raiding.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Canemacar posted:

Ok, cool. Never used Wrye Bash before, so I'm glad to hear there's some kind of solution. If nothing else, at least Morrowloot shouldn't affect the Dragonbone Ebonsteel mod since it doesn't affect your ability to craft Dragon-tier stuff.

One more question; has anyone had experience running Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases? I enjoy a bit of roleplaying; I always made sure to "camp" at a bed or safe location in New Vegas and played on hardcore mode to immerse myself. Would these two be up my alley? I like how they sound, but I'm curious how intrusive they are. I enjoy some roleplaying, don't necessarily want to spend more time not dying from cold/hunger/thirst than actually exploring and dungeon raiding.

Frosfall and RND should run fine together. I use them both. You can modify both using the ingame MCM to suit it to whatever you want. If anything, RND makes diseases a serious issue if felt untreated. Others here may recommend iNeed but RND has new food recipes and other stuff. I dont know if same applies to iNeed.

Burns fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 21, 2014

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

Frosfall and RND should run fine together. I use them both. You can modify both using the ingame MCM to suit it to whatever you want. If anything, RND makes diseases a serious issue if felt untreated. Others here may recommend iNeed but RND has new food recipes and other stuff. I dont know if same applies to iNeed.

RND, Frostfall, and Hunterborn might as well be one supermod they work so well together.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Never tried Hunterborn once I saw all of the pop-up menus. There is just something I don't like about the presentation (and my general hatred of pop up menus in Skyrim's mods). I tolerate it in Frostfall but I'd wish that the pop-up menu that pops up when you sit or lie down in a tent was not there. The tent can already be activated with 'E' so its just annoying.

Anyway, I'm really thinking I'd like to see some things attempted with the game (there may be mods out there for this now that I don't know about). I would really like to see some enemies have different additional types of resistances to specific weapons or attacks. I cant imagine (for example) how Draug, who are essentially embalmed/semi-embalmed undead would be vulnerable to arrows. They have no organs that can be ruptured, they cant bleed out and they feel no pain. Ranged weapons would really only be able to slow them down and stagger them. Specific types of enchantments would still harm them, same for the appropriate spells. They'd likely be immune to Cold, etc (they are to a degree in the game anyway). Basically you'd have to approach fighting Draug differently, which means you'd have to switch up your gear/spells and tactics.

Then there are the Dwarven constructs. I can one-shot a Centurion with a bow (on every character Ive made in the game). They have metal flesh. Arrows would just bounce off, maybe bolts would penetrate depending on the thickness of their hide. Swords would have a hell of a time cutting through. They do have "blood" in the sense that they must be oiled in some way. They are a mix of magic and machine. Axes and swords would be less useful against them. Maces would likely be needed to crush through armor (I am unsure if the game assigns armor rating to Dwemer constructs).

Wildfire, such as wolves, bears, sabre cats and other such creatures. At a certain point in the game they become non-issues. They simply cannot harm you. There should also be some enemies that ought to be completely immune to normal weapons (remember the first time you ran into a Ghost in Oblivion?).

I use ASIS, OBIS and Immersive Creatures and the Skytest Animals and Predators mod and SPERG, I also use Ultimate Combat. ASIS certainly makes the NPCs in the game far more meaningful opponents. SIC certainly adds many creatures but only a few are unique.

On another issue the one thing I still hate in Skyrim is Potions and Alchemy. I have not found a mod yet that really changes this up to my liking and most of them seem more focused about the perk tree (which isnt the issue at all). Skyrim is still a potion chugging simulator. I'd like to see something like what Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul did for Oblivion's potions and alchemy (Drinking a limited amount of potions at one time, which you could raise from I think 2 to 4 depending on Alchemy and the effects weren't instant either). Also the effects only started when you exited the inventory menu. I think Skyrim's effects start even while in the Favourites menu or the inventory screen. Its almost like the game is letting you cheat.

Lastly, and this is something I'd like to kind of experiment in some way is to try is how health,magicka and stamina is handled. So normally if damage is done it subtracts a certain amount of points. Hit zero and you die, etc. But taking or causing damage has only that effect. There are no consequences except if you somehow hit zero (or get one-shotted, which is in and of itself another annoyance). Death Alternative sort of resolves this but the intent of that mod is different. In any case, a related example of what I'm rambling about is how Jagged Alliance 2 did this. Characters have max HP. If they are hit they lose a portion of that HP and further suffer bleeding effects that reduce total HP until they are patched up. However, if a significant degree of their health is affected they will have less action points overall. Translated to Skyrim, the more you fight and the more you take hits, your overall health pool decreases along with magicka and stamina ("action points"). I believe the 'Ravage' Health/Stamina/Magicka effect (which only occurs from poisons) actually does this. Anyway I hope you enjoyed reading this nonsense.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
So with the Riverside Lodge, how does the auto-sorting work? Do I just pile everything into one chest and flip a switch or something? I see there used to be a lever in the basement but that's gone in later versions and the book just seems to toggle options rather than actually doing the sorting.

e: I also can't get the 'Bless Home' spell from Hearthfire multiple adoptions to work in it despite it claiming to support this house - it just says 'this place is not suitable for my family'.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 21, 2014

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
OBIS is one of the most broken unbalanced pieces of poo poo I have ever played. At least Requiem has the decency to tell you upfront it's broken and "hardcore". OBIS just throws crap at you until something breaks or you run into a bandit that is unkillable. Bleh. just awful.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I was thinking about trying my hand at the CK and making my first plugin. Nothing too fancy. I was going to remove dragonbone weapons and armor from leveled lists in the CK so that no NPCs wear it and it can't be found in a barrel somewhere. I've always liked the idea that the DB was the only one to actually be able to collect enough resources to make the gear. My question is: would making a simple plugin that removes dragonbone from leveled lists overwrite other mods that affect leveled entirely? Or would they be compatible as long as the other mod doesn't affect Dragonbone?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Red Mundus posted:

OBIS is one of the most broken unbalanced pieces of poo poo I have ever played. At least Requiem has the decency to tell you upfront it's broken and "hardcore". OBIS just throws crap at you until something breaks or you run into a bandit that is unkillable. Bleh. just awful.

OBIS is the worst most recommended mod I've ever seen. It is so bad and needs so many loving patches.

Immersive Armors' shields do pretty much the same thing without all the bloat, goddamn.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Gyshall posted:

OBIS is the worst most recommended mod I've ever seen. It is so bad and needs so many loving patches.

Immersive Armors' shields do pretty much the same thing without all the bloat, goddamn.

IA's shields add more random assholes to kill? Tell me more... :allears:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Canemacar posted:

I was thinking about trying my hand at the CK and making my first plugin. Nothing too fancy. I was going to remove dragonbone weapons and armor from leveled lists in the CK so that no NPCs wear it and it can't be found in a barrel somewhere. I've always liked the idea that the DB was the only one to actually be able to collect enough resources to make the gear. My question is: would making a simple plugin that removes dragonbone from leveled lists overwrite other mods that affect leveled entirely? Or would they be compatible as long as the other mod doesn't affect Dragonbone?

If two mods change the same thing, leveled lists in this case, one of them will overwrite the other. But there are a number of things you can do to mitigate this. The easiest is to simply make a bashed patch with the delev tag on your mod. When you make a bashed patch Wrye Bash checks all your active mods and combines the changes into a single plugin. Because the bashed patch comes after all the others it overwrite all the other mods (which is why its important to rebuild it if you add or remove mods). Bash tags tell wrye bash how to combine the changes: Relev means the levels of items are intentionally changed while delev means items are intentionally removed.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Burns posted:

I am unsure if the game assigns armor rating to Dwemer constructs
It doesn't. Only NPCs wearing armor have damage resistance.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ugh, I've got some bug in my current save where the game crashes when midnight rolls around. no idea how to avoid it. it even happens if I try to fast travel to get past midnight, and no useful info in the logs. :( :( not sure what to do, I rolled back to oldest save.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

pmchem posted:

ugh, I've got some bug in my current save where the game crashes when midnight rolls around. no idea how to avoid it. it even happens if I try to fast travel to get past midnight, and no useful info in the logs. :( :( not sure what to do, I rolled back to oldest save.

Get a Majora's Mask mod and never worry about time again.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Is there anything like a hitbox overhaul mod? I've had far too many arrows get stuck where they really shouldn't.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hurray for Mod Organiser! I had an old install of Skyrim through MO which I hadn't played for about a year. When my hard drive failed I lost all my games, but MO keeps itself in My Documents which were backed up and restored, so all I had to do was install Skyrim and then update MO and my mods and I could play again. Much faster than starting from scratch and trying to remember what I used.

What I wanted to ask about is a small annoyance I've got with SkyUI. Everytime I start up I'm getting a message for Error code 3 (SKSE scripts are outdated or not installed) which is bullshit because they are installed and they're the latest as I only installed them yesterday. Skyui looks to be working fine, anyone know what might be causing a false positive?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Helith posted:

What I wanted to ask about is a small annoyance I've got with SkyUI. Everytime I start up I'm getting a message for Error code 3 (SKSE scripts are outdated or not installed) which is bullshit because they are installed and they're the latest as I only installed them yesterday. Skyui looks to be working fine, anyone know what might be causing a false positive?

First make sure the scripts are installed as well as the dll. Then make sure nothing is overwriting them. If you verified your install or installed the CK they probably got replaced with the vanilla ones. An easy way to check is open /data/scripts/source/game.psc and if it has ObjectReference Function GetCurrentCrosshairRef() global native as the last line its the SKSE version. Finally make sure you have some archive invalidation method set, MO does this by default unless you uncheck a box in options or profile.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, all sorted. The issue was that there were two copies of the script files. I'd manually installed SKSE to the Skyrim folder and somehow, somewhere along the way MO had created a duplicate copy of just the script files in it's mod folder. I spotted them by chance, deleted them and SkyUi no longer throws error code 3 at me on startup.
Can you now install SKSE through MO like other mods? because last time I modded and played Skyrim (about a year ago) I don't think you could, I thought it was always a manual install deal. I'm baffled as to how an extra copy of those files ended up there, but it's sorted now.
Also what programme are you supposed to open .psc files with? I tried and Windows said it couldn't and that it was a paint shop pro file, I tried Irfanview but that couldn't open it and now they are associated with it and it's not letting me un-associate them.

Helith fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 22, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

You have to install the dll manually since MO only manages things in the data folder and not directly in the skyrim folder. Same with enb or sweetfx. But some people will make a fake mod of the scripts in MO so they can see if a mod overwrites them and they won't be erased by verifying skyrim or the ck. You might have done that with an older version of skse.

Psc files are just plain text so you can open them with notepad or whatever. I use notepad++ for text editing since its lightweight but quite powerful.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Does anyone have any experience with the Tropical Skyrim mod? I've played through skyrim so much that it's too familiar. Looking for good mods to pair with it, critical patch poo poo, or any other advice on it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33017/

So far I've only downloaded the mod and its two listed patches. Also I encourage anyone brave to make a new mod profile and explore this parallel world with me. Group let's play.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good mods for multiplayer? I mostly want to play with my roommate. I found this mod: Skyrim Ophelia but I'm honestly a little scared to download anything that isn't hosted on the workshop or at least Nexus.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

LtSmash posted:

You have to install the dll manually since MO only manages things in the data folder and not directly in the skyrim folder. Same with enb or sweetfx. But some people will make a fake mod of the scripts in MO so they can see if a mod overwrites them and they won't be erased by verifying skyrim or the ck. You might have done that with an older version of skse.

Psc files are just plain text so you can open them with notepad or whatever. I use notepad++ for text editing since its lightweight but quite powerful.

Now that it's Sunday morning and not late Saturday night (when I have no business trying to fix Skyrim mod issues after a few glasses of wine) I've had a look at the duplicate SKSE files and they are dated to October 2013, so I obviously put them there myself and forgot that you could even do that. No wonder Skyui complained they were outdated.
psc files are now opening with notepad and all is hunkydory. Thanks for your help LtSmash!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Tropical Skyrim mod? I've played through skyrim so much that it's too familiar. Looking for good mods to pair with it, critical patch poo poo, or any other advice on it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33017/

So far I've only downloaded the mod and its two listed patches. Also I encourage anyone brave to make a new mod profile and explore this parallel world with me. Group let's play.

From my time with it, it was mostly stable, if a bit of a framerate hog, especially in the swamp north of Morthal (I'm talking a drop from over 30fps to the single digits here). WATER is an incompatible mod, causing sporadic CTDs when paired together. Also, this simply replaces default meshes without trying to fix the problems this causes, so you'll run into things like palm trees blocking your progress in caves. Disabling them individually in the console works well enough, though. I enjoyed it as a change of pace, though it's been a while since I used it and I don't remember if I used any other complementary mods with it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
In case anyone missed it, doesn't know about it, or hasn't been following it, the guy who made Improved Closefaced Helmets has finished them all now, which almost completely fixes a huge oversight and 'gently caress you' to the beast races in vanilla.

I think the only closed helmets he hasn't fixed are the Masgue of Clavicus vile and the cultist masks, and I gather he doesn't intend to do those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
So I ran Requiem for a while, with a few other things like survivalist mods and an alternate start, and the early game was really lovely - hunting wildlife around Winterhold, camping near fires at night to stay alive, saving up for a horse so I could go be an adventurer. The sense of place was great and I continued to refine my economic gambits right up until I got the horse.

Then the game turned into being about going into random dungeons and taking random quests, which was comparatively flat. Plus there was the extra ingredient thanks to Requiem that I had no idea which quests or dungeons would even be doable.

Are there any mods which can make the midgame more interesting?

• Locked thread