Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If I remember right the body RCP file is for the randomly generated creatures. As for what it stands for, I'm guessing 'random creature parts'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

reading posted:

Can someone remind me what the difference is between body_default.txt and body_rcp.txt in the raws? What does RCP stand for?

Really Cool Parts. It's where the cool parts of the body are kept, like the zamzorch and kerlfushineeger glands.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've been poking around through google but haven't located a solution to a little, irritating bug I'm having with Dwarf Therapist in the latest Lazy Newb Pack for DF14. Every drat dwarf is showing up with 0 happiness constantly. While that would inevitably be accurate at some point, I don't think it's quite accurate from 0 seconds in all the way through the inevitable tantrum spiral in two fortresses.

Also, I'm pleased to report that the only were creature I've seen arrived during a necromancer siege and was promptly beaten to death by an undead human archer. I don't think I got an announcement of the creature's arrival, either.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

RedTonic posted:

I've been poking around through google but haven't located a solution to a little, irritating bug I'm having with Dwarf Therapist in the latest Lazy Newb Pack for DF14. Every drat dwarf is showing up with 0 happiness constantly. While that would inevitably be accurate at some point, I don't think it's quite accurate from 0 seconds in all the way through the inevitable tantrum spiral in two fortresses.

Also, I'm pleased to report that the only were creature I've seen arrived during a necromancer siege and was promptly beaten to death by an undead human archer. I don't think I got an announcement of the creature's arrival, either.

Are you using the most recent LNP? (Can't read, you are)

Dwarf Therapist has happiness "disabled" (forced to 0) while they rewrite it to support the new emotion system. DFHacks monitor plugin kind of works (with some assumptions on what good stress levels are), but DT is completely disabled for now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

necrotic posted:

Are you using the most recent LNP? (Can't read, you are)

Dwarf Therapist has happiness "disabled" (forced to 0) while they rewrite it to support the new emotion system. DFHacks monitor plugin kind of works (with some assumptions on what good stress levels are), but DT is completely disabled for now.

Thanks! :downs: Looks like I'm the illiterate. I didn't notice that in the documentation. I have experienced the new, uh, ~emotions~. Pretty sure half of my first DF14 fort became mummies.

Another stupid question. Is there any way through the menus to change the zoom in DF? My laptop trackpad is kinda nuts and doesn't mesh too well with DF. So far I've only managed to increase zoom, regardless of what I'm doing on the pad. I'm blind, but not that blind.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a way to make combat logs show dwarves' names instead of their titles?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

RedTonic posted:

Another stupid question. Is there any way through the menus to change the zoom in DF? My laptop trackpad is kinda nuts and doesn't mesh too well with DF. So far I've only managed to increase zoom, regardless of what I'm doing on the pad. I'm blind, but not that blind.

I think there's a keybind you can set... yeah, in data/init/interfaces.txt there are ZOOM_IN and ZOOM_OUT. Can't do it through menus, AFAIK. Check out the wiki on how to change bindings

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I just embarked on a really neat river formation. The river flows in from the north, falls about 10 z levels into a triangular basin, and splits off into 2 rivers to the east and south. I'm planning to build a warren of bridges and platforms across the gap and have an open air cliffside surface farm, but what other fun things should I do?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

CainsDescendant posted:

I just embarked on a really neat river formation. The river flows in from the north, falls about 10 z levels into a triangular basin, and splits off into 2 rivers to the east and south. I'm planning to build a warren of bridges and platforms across the gap and have an open air cliffside surface farm, but what other fun things should I do?

Trial by Waterfall.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

automated Shaft of Enlightenment

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there a way to make combat logs show dwarves' names instead of their titles?

Give everybody a custom job title.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I very specifically do not want to do that (it is very important to dwarf therapist management in my current situation)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Toady posted:

I cleaned up some crashes today. One of them involved a night creature that had wandered into a shop and killed the owner... the creature then somehow got assigned as the owner. The crash happened when the night creature tried to come up with things to say to potential shoppers, since it didn't have a civilization as a frame of reference. I fixed that part, but I still have no idea why it thought it should change professions in the first place...

The looming threat of gentrification.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tunicate posted:

The looming threat of gentrification.

Aww, the night creature isn't mean, it just has social anxiety. He just wants to be friends, but he doesn't know what to say. :3:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Apparently just seeing a captive werething triggers incomprehensible meltdowns. At no point can the Fisherdwarf werelizard get out of its containment.

gamelog.txt posted:

It has started raining.
Rig•th Stinth„dber, Fisherdwarf has transformed into a werelizard!
Minkot Berstul, Engraver cancels Carve Fortification: Interrupted by Werelizard Fisherman.
Minkot Berstul, Engraver cancels Detail Floor: Interrupted by Werelizard Fisherman.
Rig•th Stinth„dber, Werelizard Fisherman has transformed into a dwarf!
Rig•th Stinth„dber, Fisherdwarf cancels Pickup Equipment: Interrupted by Recruit.
L•r Rakustrag, Soap Maker cancels Construct Building: Interrupted by Fisherdwarf.
The dwarves suspended the construction of Wall.
Limul Zulbanem„th, Trader cancels Construct Building: Interrupted by Fisherdwarf.
The dwarves suspended the construction of Wall.
The Furnace Operator punches The Brewer in the neck with his left hand, bruising the fat through the (giant cave spider silk cloak)!
The Brewer punches The Furnace Operator in the left upper leg with his right hand, bruising the fat through the (dog leather cloak)!
Momuz Domasmshos, Brewer: I cannot just stand by. This might require an answer.
The Brewer misses The Furnace Operator!
The Furnace Operator punches The Brewer in the right upper arm with his right hand, bruising the fat through the (giant cave spider silk cloak)!
The Glazer attacks The Furnace Operator but He jumps away!
The Furnace Operator attacks The Planter but He jumps away!
Momuz Domasmshos, Brewer: In the midst of conflict... I laugh in the face of death!
The Furnace Operator punches The Glazer in the left lower arm with his right hand, bruising the fat through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
The Glazer misses The Furnace Operator!
The Planter misses The Furnace Operator!
The Furnace Operator punches The Glazer in the right upper arm with his right hand, bruising the fat through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
The Glazer punches The Furnace Operator in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle through the (giant cave spider silk hood)!
The Furnace Operator misses The Glazer!
The Glazer misses The Furnace Operator!
The Brewer charges at The Planter!
The Brewer collides with The Planter!
The Brewer is knocked over!

It goes on like this for awhile. And is still happening. I ended up making the Planter a squad and assigned him a ☼silver war hammer☼ to see if I can speed whatever is going on along.

Fake edit: Crazy planter is the dwarf werelizard's cousin and is reacting poorly to the rest of hammersquad trying to off his transformed relative. All of the planter's murders appear to be justice-free.

This game is amazing.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
How captive is he? If they can see him, they think it's a threat that can hurt them. Even if there's no way it can get to them from the bottom of that pit or through the fortifications or whatever. Lock him behind a door / floor hatch. Out of sight, out of mind.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

and with a grunt and a poot, a new version sees the light of day

Toady One, v0.40.17 release posted:

Here is another friendly little release.

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed collapsing shrines
  • Fixed army crash/bad behavior near the right/lower edge of the map
  • Fixed a conversation crash related to uncivilized people/creatures trying to sell something in the market
  • Made people only jump into actual conflicts, rather than animal encounters and training events

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Made stress levels drop faster the longer no stressors are applied
  • Made gathering plants from the ground add to herbalist skill properly again
  • Made plants that grow in winter-spring plantable at all proper times (Quietust)
  • Optimized flag checks for non-windows OSs (ag)
  • Fixed problem deleting stockpile links in the case that stockpile had multiple give/take settings
  • Fixed blinking behavior for stockpiles/zones vs. ramps/stairs
  • Fixed blinking behavior for designations vs. anything obscuring them
  • Fixed double untranslated name in thoughts screen
  • Fixed elf diplomacy typo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

and with a grunt and a poot, a new version sees the light of day

Or to quote the twitter

quote:

DF 40.17 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves
Less animal vengeance, better stress
Titans no longer crushed by shrines of well-meaning worshipers

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

GenericOverusedName posted:

How captive is he? If they can see him, they think it's a threat that can hurt them. Even if there's no way it can get to them from the bottom of that pit or through the fortifications or whatever. Lock him behind a door / floor hatch. Out of sight, out of mind.

Usual method for me is behind a construction. In this case I was experimenting with moon-cycled terror exposure for the military when werelizard's relatives went mental and started their murderspree. Setup was walled in behind a fortification.

This is from a seasonal save before the fortification was carved at the red arrow. After carving, at the next transformation back to dwarf is when the terror begins.

But time to ditch all that for DF 40.17

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
A compiler issue apparently broke some things resulting in .18 being released today.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Mifki's apparently had the TWBT updating on the back burner in favor of something new and neat that he's excited about.

After he farted out Text Will Be Text and Web Fortress pretty much spontaneously, I'm sorta curious myself.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Tunicate posted:

Or to quote the twitter

And then there is today's:

@Bay12Games posted:

DF 0.40.18 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves
This one might not have the error I don't understand

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2014: This one might not have the error I don't understand

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

New devblog:

quote:

(Toady One) Today saw the addition of an oft-requested feature -- the ability to geld! We stayed away from new parts, but there's a body part tag for it on appropriate male critters, as well as a job and so on. The job takes place at the farmer's workshop after the animal is designated in a way similar to slaughtering. The process is modeled with a wound within the existing framework.

All breeding also occurs within touch range now, though there isn't a new activity for it or anything. Some more tools for breeding and animal population control are now in place. Due to the raw changes, it won't be available in old saves without tweaking the raws.

To avoid having to create new bodies for the males, there was also a small addition to the raws to allow body part tags to be added/removed after a caste has bodies. It only works with the simple tags like LOWERBODY/STANCE/SIGHT/GUTS/etc. rather than tissue flags at this point, but it's useful for a few things. For example, after declaring the male caste, [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE].

the lengths he went to in order to avoid actually making animal penises is laudable

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

what the gently caress

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

what the gently caress

the scary part is it was apparently an oft-requested feature :gonk:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
well, spay and neuter your pets lol.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Dwarf Fortress 2014: Laudably Avoiding Animal Penises

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No more catsplosion.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I mean that's an easy and logical way to prevent catsplosions and stuff.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Does this mean that dwarves will now get to eat rocky mountain oysters?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I think people are going a bit too crazy in thinking its some weird bestiality fetish thing to control your animal's populations. Is it really that weird of a request to make animals stop breeding at a point?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah this lets you neuter kittens before they can breed and get a catsplosion going.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zereth posted:

Yeah this lets you neuter kittens before they can breed and get a catsplosion going.

Which is a much nicer and saner then killing all female cats, or killing all dwarfs that arrive with inconvenient pets. I just hope you can geld pets without the owners permission.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
yeah rip

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It seems dwarves (and other creatures) will no longer propagate via spores. A meme has died.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
However, soon you will be able to geld livestock at a farmers workshop. I see some uncomfortable modding in the near future.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

No more catsplosion.

Nice post/avatar combo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Trundel posted:

However, soon you will be able to geld livestock at a farmers workshop. I see some uncomfortable modding in the near future.

Surely someone will find a way to geld dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wonder if you can make things reproduce by the spore behavior again.