Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Getsuya posted:

If someone on Youtube has the whole soundtrack for a game I want to LP posted is it cool to just link those videos in the thread for when I want to show off the music?

That's the standard practice for most people. Most content companies don't give a rip about video game soundtracks being up on YouTube, so they're very unlikely to get taken down or anything.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I posted about being contacted by the ~TGN GAMING NETWORK BRO, FOR BROS~ a while back in the crapshoot thread (in fact I think you and I had a conversation about it :v:). Not only is it headed by this guy (I love posting this image, check his GUNNAR GAMING SHADES):

But also they apparently did plan to do that with my videos to get me more exposure to the HARDCORE GAMING COMMUNITY which is hilarious and dumb.

Well, I realized I hadn't checked my Youtube inbox since they changed the layout, and check out who I have a message from!

Unfortunately Caroline seems to have been a spam account, and I couldn't check out the fast cats. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Unfortunately Caroline seems to have been a spam account, and I couldn't check out the fast cats. :(

Limp Bizkit has fallen on hard times it seems.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Getsuya posted:

If someone on Youtube has the whole soundtrack for a game I want to LP posted is it cool to just link those videos in the thread for when I want to show off the music?

Yeah, you won't get into any trouble with the companies that own the music (at least for 99% of video game music), but just be aware the person hosting the videos may take them down for whatever reason, so it can be a little risky.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Well, I realized I hadn't checked my Youtube inbox since they changed the layout, and check out who I have a message from!

Didn't Fred Durst try his hand at a Twitch channel or am I imagining things?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

HGH posted:

Didn't Fred Durst try his hand at a Twitch channel or am I imagining things?
You're not imagining things:
http://www.twitch.tv/freddurst/profile

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is my hell.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Neruz posted:

The only possible reason I can see for having gaming glasses is if you are in a tournament setting then maybe polarized lenses might help with glare from overhead lights.

Maybe.

Gunnars are hilariously oversold by hype but there are actual benefits to wearing something like them if you stare at a monitor for hours upon hours day after day without taking breaks. That does describe most pro gamers. :v:

so actually they really do something (not as much as THE HYPE would have you believe, sure) and overhead glare isn't the reason for them. But uh, you know what else works and has a lot more benefit? Getting up and walking around.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

oh right that exists

the family man is at it again

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What's the best way to present lines you can barely hear in an SSLP? I've got the subtitles for them, but I want to convey the abysmal audio balancing through text. Spolier or sub tags seem too much.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the best way to present lines you can barely hear in an SSLP? I've got the subtitles for them, but I want to convey the abysmal audio balancing through text. Spolier or sub tags seem too much.

Just mention it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

SelenicMartian posted:

Nothing says an SSLP can't have the occasional video. Thuryl did it from time to time in her Might & Magic 4 LP to show off some hilarious voice acting.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
YouTube still has the inbox? How do you find it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mraagvpeine posted:

YouTube still has the inbox? How do you find it?

I just guessed the URL would be https://www.youtube.com/inbox and it is.

e: "Community -> Inbox" from your dashboard. oh wait excuse me, "Creator Studio."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Huh, apparently the inbox will be removed by December 1st. Why they didn't do this anytime in the past year I have no clue.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I just now discovered that I have an inbox on youtube. Man, so many funny cat videos recommended to me. Gotta check em out some time.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm partnered with TGN.

I get 4 dollars a month instead of the 20 cents a month I was getting through google adsense so it's a net positive I guess?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Tell him the position has already been filled, and then link him to the Archives.

Considering I have no interest in monetizing my crap and a half videos I might just go this route.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I was looking to ask who my dad should talk to to get 60 fps videos working on YouTube, however, I stumbled across this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/10/30/youtube-60fps-video-is-here-and-it-looks-incredible/

"YouTube celebrities like ‘PewDiePie’ who revealed he is earning $4M per year from his views" that's a spicy meatball!!

Here's some additional information to put the spiciness of this meatball into perspective:
Over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree, $2.5 million. Persons with doctoral degrees earn an average of $3.4 million during their working life, while those with professional degrees do best at $4.4 million.

He earns in a year what most people will only earn 50% of their entire life!

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 20, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's statistics like those that fool the average joe into thinking he can become a youtube superstar. It's like "if he can do it then I can do it too!" No you can't do it. No dude don't even try. Play professional chess or learn how to knit instead. Don't LP for the hot lp bucks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

Play professional chess or learn how to knit instead. Don't LP for the hot lp bucks.

You heard it here first folks! Start your professional youtube knitting channel quickly before someone else takes the idea! Then once you're good enough, branch out into LPs and knit items related to the games you LP. Instant cash money.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Kirby's Epic Yarn then?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Getsuya posted:

Personally I prefer tindeck links. Might change in due time, but tindeck accounts are far less likely to be deleted wholesale due to copyright violation.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for advice on what would be the best format for doing an LP of Mount & Blade. Battles are common enough to be repetitive, especially if you use the same general tactic over and over, so the idea of doing a purely VLP seems superfluous to me; however, a complete lack of video seems a bit dull since what's the point of a medieval battle simulator if you can't see some medieval battles taking place? In doing up what will probably be the OP and first couple of updates, I streamlined almost all of the video out of it: I have dozens of screenshots of character creation, interactions with NPCs, and the like, with 3 videos - each of which is between 30 seconds and 5 minutes in length - for the actual combat portions of the first quest. This seems to convey all the information I need, but my concern is going forward to future updates.

There are a lot of battles in Mount & Blade: it's an RPG, so you grind a lot to get the money to buy more and better things with which to accrue more money and accomplish whatever goals you set for yourself. Across a long enough game you could conceivably whittle everything down to stats and perhaps talk about what your character's overall goals in the playthrough are, but that's a lot of filler talk over the course of dozens, perhaps hundreds, of filmed battles. My thought is to do a mostly SSLP with some video especially in the early portions of the game where every fight involves the player character, discussing mechanics and the like, but I am worried that doing so from the beginning and then cutting off to entirely or mostly screenshots after the first couple of updates would set people's expectations up and then ruin them. My main point of concern here is that I simply don't think people want to see a video that consists of a battle with 3 bandits during which I discuss how keyboard input works, followed by a battle with 7 bandits during which I comment on how my horse is probably crippled for life now, and so on and so on, with each fight lasting a couple to several minutes. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a reasonable compromise between showing every random grind battle versus missing out on the whole feel of the game's focus on battles?

edit: Briefly using this post to check image size.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 22, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are we still posting weird Youtube messages

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

dscruffy1 posted:

:agreed:

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Wayne posted:

Had a question and figured this was the place to ask: is there a policy on using streams instead of traditional recording for LPs? For example, you're LPing an RPG and you make a thread to schedule updates, hold votes on which characters or items to use or whatnot, you know, normal stuff; but instead of recording and editing videos on your own you stream the "updates" and then edit and post those.

BrainWeasel posted:

Kaz chopped up his Diablo II streams and posted them as an LP too.

Other way around. Kaz streamed his Diablo II LP as he was recording it. I think if you kept the interaction with the audience to zero or an absolute minimum, you can get decent videos out of it. No one wants to watch you spin around in circles while you wait for audience votes to come in, or pause the game to kick people from the chat.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
My LP partner Travis is starting a new thread, and he wants to include our group name in the title to specify all of the people involved rather than just him. I'm not sure it's necessary; I've always been under the impression that viewers here care most about the quality of the LP itself rather than who specifically is doing it. But I wanted to ask here before we posted it with that title: thoughts on the matter? Need we not bother?

For context, here's the post as a test:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We're lovely People, Travis" - The Last of Us w/ TheStrawhatNO!

---Game Description---
Winner of literally some awards, The Last of Us is an acclaimed story/character-based Third-Person Shooter from Naughty Dog, fresh off the heels of their Uncharted series. We take the role of Joel, an old Texan grizzly bear, right as the apocalypse hits. People have become infected with a mind and body-warping fungus, effectively turning into rage zombies and sending the country into military lockdown chaos. After 20 years of hell, Joel is tasked with delivering a young teenager, Ellie, to a group across the country. They must face the mindless infected, the indiscriminate military, and the cutthroat outlaws that roam the landscape on their long journey towards character development.

---LP Description---
Because the game is so dialogue intensive, there will be two versions of each video: one with all of our commentary, and one completely without [RAW]. It's a standard playthrough - as much of the game will be shown as possible, but I'm not too hung up on missing things.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
For a start shrink the header image to something less table breaking.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

dscruffy1 posted:

i never thought Autumn Bowler would cheat on me with another let's player

wheres my shotgun

e: Serious question. How long is too long in terms of a Let's Play Episode? IMO over 30 minutes is pushing it.

Putty fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 21, 2014

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

ThornBrain posted:

My LP partner Travis is starting a new thread, and he wants to include our group name in the title to specify all of the people involved rather than just him. I'm not sure it's necessary; I've always been under the impression that viewers here care most about the quality of the LP itself rather than who specifically is doing it. But I wanted to ask here before we posted it with that title: thoughts on the matter? Need we not bother?

Not needed. Nobody looks at a Chip Cheezum thread and goes "man, he's a dick for not mentioning Ironicus would be co-commentating." Nobody looked at a Tipping 40s or Men Drinking Coffee thread and thought "that [whoever], always stealing the glory by posting the thread themselves." If you're watching LPs for a group rather than the games, you'll know who the group's members are and will probably at least check out any thread authored by any of them, to see whether it's the group or just the person. And even if it were just the person, you might stay to see if they've got the chops for solo too. The only two remaining reasons are either for the non-author members to be thinking they're not getting enough recognition, which is stupid, or for advertising that your group exists, which is even stupider. Neither of those are messages you want to send, so just don't bother.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just say who you are within the LP videos and if necessary say what you're doing. Usually the person who posts the thread is the one behind wheel of the LP but that's not always true.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Putty posted:

e: Serious question. How long is too long in terms of a Let's Play Episode? IMO over 30 minutes is pushing it.

There have been LPs where there were 1 hour/almost 1 hour long videos and no ones really complained. Like Bobbin's Deus Ex LP.
But I guess it depends on the game. If it doesn't make sense or feel right to cut at some point then don't.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

What I'd be interested in is how long the average view was for a 60 minute video vs a 40/30/20. Still, cut where you should cut, but I'd always err on the side of shorter if I could.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There have been LPs where there were 1 hour/almost 1 hour long videos and no ones really complained. Like Bobbin's Deus Ex LP.
But I guess it depends on the game. If it doesn't make sense or feel right to cut at some point then don't.

I agree that it depends on the game. Case in point, I have watched Phenwah's LP of Red Steel 1 two or three times now, where each video averages 20 to 25 minutes. But then Red Steel 2, which averages ten minutes shorter per video, I have tried to watch three times now and have been unable to stay interested past the first four videos.

Also, to jump on the dumb inbox messages bandwagon, here's a message I received back in late 2011 after posting a terrible video on the other LP forum's Sandcastle equivalent.

TrU3Ta1ent posted:

saw you on LPelitist.com

Basicly ignore what they say there idiots. They said my poo poo wqas bad and critted me, ure vid is nicely edited and not "too bright" god i hate them guys forcusing htere viwews of an enjoable video onto others. Check my poo poo if u want, tell me if u think its terrible and badly edited..etc like they said. Keep up the good work man!

His poo poo was terrible and badly-edited. He ended up registering a year later, and was gone within 90 minutes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Putty posted:

Depends on how invested I have to be while watching it. LP's that aren't heavy on visuals (like a turn based game or an LP where the focus is on informative commentary instead of the game) I'm fine with hour long videos because I can listen to/occasionally glance at it while doing other things. If it's an action game or something where I actually have to sit down and exclusively watch it, then yeah I start to get antsy around the 25-30 minute range.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Might, Magic and More! Let's Play King's Bounty: The Legend!

OP
Test Update

The first thing you'll notice is that this game shrinks abysmally, and lowering the in-game resolution doesn't help. As a consequence, I have no idea at all what to do with the screenshots. Should I go for more full-screen (or fullscreen with the UI cropped) images with a unified size? Shrink more and screw the incidental text? Shrink less? Be less anal and just use somewhat bigger images?

Also, the game's translation is more than a bit clumsy. Should I be doing more paraphrasing in the particularly stilted bits?

Crackhead Colin
Aug 2, 2005
I just got permission from 11bit studios to do an LP of their new game This War of Mine that came out about a week or so ago. It is a survival game where you control a small group of civilians during a war. It is sad and bleak. I am planning on doing a SSLP focusing on story - making journal entries for the civilians I end up controlling.

What is the current preferred image hosting site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
imageshack
(read the op)

Putty fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 22, 2014

• Locked thread