Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah love losing all my money betting on Charizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Are there unlocks for the stage builder?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Metal Marth looks terrifying.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah 2000 gold, thank you anonymous Toon Link. Now: Two Falcos vs Two Warios, should be an easy 700.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why is there a song from Culdcept?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If I have one complaint about this game it is that too many characters and courses are available right off the bat. On one hand I should be grateful because I am an adult human being with a full time job and now I actually get to experience most of the game, but unlocking characters and stages is more exciting than getting a bunch of songs I will never listen to.

Not sure how much effort I will put into customizing my characters, either, since I will be doing virtually no local multiplayer.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Speaking of stages...

Kongo Jungle 64: Clear the "The Original Heavyweights" event in Solo. (It's the very first event)
PAC-LAND: Play all three maps in Smash Tour.
Smashville: Clear the "Playing Tricks" event in Solo. (From the first event, go right, then up)
Pokemon Stadium 2: Clear the "When Lightning Strikes" event in Solo. (From the first event, go right, then up, then right, then up)
Flat Zone X: Play alone and as Mr. Game & Watch and destroy 100 blocks in a single game of Trophy Rush.
Duck Hunt: Score at least 1 KO in a single Solo Cruel Smash.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the truth posted:

If I have one complaint about this game it is that too many characters and courses are available right off the bat. On one hand I should be grateful because I am an adult human being with a full time job and now I actually get to experience most of the game, but unlocking characters and stages is more exciting than getting a bunch of songs I will never listen to.

Not sure how much effort I will put into customizing my characters, either, since I will be doing virtually no local multiplayer.

You bought Smash for its single player?????

????????

??????????????

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I can't get enough of Captain Falcon's disapproving sneer when he doesn't win in Smash.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

noirstronaut posted:

????????

??????????????

I mostly play by myself and it's still fun. No one I know is really that into Smash and I find playing online to be too stressful for me for the most part.

Smash is still good.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

????????

??????????????

Not exclusively. I have dabbled in the laggy online multiplayer a few times today, but local will be tough as hardly any of my adult friends play games. Tried to get my significant other to try it and out and it didn't click, and I don't want to force it while we can still enjoy MK8 and SM3DW.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I find items actually make the game even more confusing for newcomers. Try turning the items off and let them get a feel for how the heart of the game actually plays.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Guys, the fire marshal said we can't play 8-Player Smash in all of the stages. :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Reiley posted:

I find items actually make the game even more confusing for newcomers. Try turning the items off and let them get a feel for how the heart of the game actually plays.

I can only bet that something like Smash Tour is super terrible for newcomers too, now that I think of it. Not only is it a confusing, ultra-fast-paced mess in battles, but there's a million items and you have to use a different character in each match, and each character is wildly different from the rest. So not only is it a really lousy attempt at putting Mario Party into Smash, but it's completely hosed up for people that don't know everything about the game already. :wtc:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I can only bet that something like Smash Tour is super terrible for newcomers too, now that I think of it. Not only is it a confusing, ultra-fast-paced mess in battles, but there's a million items and you have to use a different character in each match, and each character is wildly different from the rest. So not only is it a really lousy attempt at putting Mario Party into Smash, but it's completely hosed up for people that don't know everything about the game already. :wtc:

Apparently the characters you get are completely randomized, including their special moves? I got a Villager and tried to missile someone but the missile curved up into the air and I'm like, oh, it's extra jumbled.

The most frustrating thing for a newcomer in any game is being removed from the game without any clear reason for what just happened, and the more of that you can trim out the easier a time people will have picking it up.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I thought I'd be maining Duck Hunt or "Dr." Mario, but I am having way more fun with Zelda. She's so fun to play keep away with. Just running away and throwing and reflecting things. Duck Hunt is fun and weird, but he's not too great at smashing or finishing people off.

Anyway I've actually won a few games online, I'm quite surprised. I figured everyone would be better than me in both Fun and Glory modes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Reiley posted:

Apparently the characters you get are completely randomized, including their special moves? I got a Villager and tried to missile someone but the missile curved up into the air and I'm like, oh, it's extra jumbled.

Yeah, turn off customization to get rid of that effect.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it's the horrible lag or not but I haven't had a single kill in 5 games of 1v1. Are there only pro streamers playing glory 1v1 or what :confused:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I tried to play online just now and it locked me into Player 4, wouldn't let me choose a character and now it's just sitting there at the training stage without a character and the timer's at zero and nothing is happening.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

what nintendo character is that (not kirby)?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

oknope posted:

Pikachu?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

oknope posted:

I think that's Missingno. but don't quote me.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Guys, the fire marshal said we can't play 8-Player Smash in all of the stages. :(

Even Sakurai sets limits on our fun. We couldn't handle 8 player pokefloats

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im so happy that robin's coat is animated properly in this game

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That fanfare and video when you finish Classic :3:

I don't know why, but I really found that to be a fun and charming aspect of the whole thing from the earlier Smash games.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's been gone since what, Melee? I don't think it was in Brawl. But yeah, it's really satisfying. A welcome return.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I, for one, am deriving great enjoyment from being able to auto-smash people just by tapping the right-hand joystick. :unsmigghh:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Even Sakurai sets limits on our fun. We couldn't handle 8 player pokefloats
Wait Pokefloats is in the game? How do I unlock it!?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Man this thread exploded. Updated op with all nnids, hints and dickbutt

This game is great but my one main gripe is that when you lose in solo smash it forcefully nerfs the difficulty. I dont get better by playing it on an easier difficulty, Nintendo :mad:

Other than that its awesome.

Also there are no amiibos in abu dhabi :(

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
It appears everyone is on my friends list but Count and MapleLeaf so stop hiding heehee.

NNID EndgameN

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Oh yeah my NNID is Chaltab, in case anyone wants to use me as a punching bag.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
NNID: ZtotheWingley

I like Ike. :getin:

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

Wait Pokefloats is in the game? How do I unlock it!?

No

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my nnid is CakeAttack

please add me if you're pro anime swordsmen

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

My stupid amiibo is already better at this game than I am :smith:

nnid: bklyons

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
my nnid is toiletfish please punish me

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
NNID: FighterK

add me so I can whoop you while gently encouraging you to get healthy

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone want to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Smash tour is decently fun once you figure out what the gently caress is going on. Of course being that it was supposed to be a mario party/smash hybrid which sounds awesome it's a lot of wasted potential

• Locked thread