Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I have one of these for each of my keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

don't? i just pull it off as far as is necessary to get all the dines out.

This is the most-correct answer. I'm not even sure I have the requisite upper-body strength to fully de-lid the Trader Joe's Sardines in Harissa. Never tried, cause it's not necessary.

also.

Also.

ALSO.

In the primitive days, someone plugged these bad boys. None of my grocers carried them, so I mostly forgot about it.

Then I flew to Chicago for family in August. Randomly saw a can of these in Jewel. Bought it and flew it home for whenever.

Just cracked the tin.

My god.

I almost want to say they are better than Bela. That might be euphoria and the fact that these are about $2 a tin (and they're bigger than the average tin!), so I'll stay conservative.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Made that sardine and spinach soup from a while back. drat good soup!

http://asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

numberoneposter posted:

lets talk about pickled herring for a bit

The happiest day of my life was when I realize I could by them by the case

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

This is the most-correct answer. I'm not even sure I have the requisite upper-body strength to fully de-lid the Trader Joe's Sardines in Harissa. Never tried, cause it's not necessary.

also.

Also.

ALSO.

In the primitive days, someone plugged these bad boys. None of my grocers carried them, so I mostly forgot about it.

Then I flew to Chicago for family in August. Randomly saw a can of these in Jewel. Bought it and flew it home for whenever.

Just cracked the tin.

My god.

I almost want to say they are better than Bela. That might be euphoria and the fact that these are about $2 a tin (and they're bigger than the average tin!), so I'll stay conservative.

Riga sprats are the best smallfish I have ever eaten. Better than King Oscar. I just wish they weren't so hard to find

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I saw those Riga sprats on Amazon for cheap and I was doubtful because of the one review that said Baltic waters are too polluted. :ohdear:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Glad to see this thread still going strong. I had King Oscars in tomato sauce with cracked black pepper and salt on rye bread for lunch.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

numberoneposter posted:

lets talk about pickled herring for a bit

It always makes me sad to hear about the hundreds of ways Scandinavians can enjoy pickled herring, but here in the US I only get a choice of pickled herring in white cream sauce or a clear brine with herbs. :( Clear-brined on a Triscuit with an onion slice on top with a beer and a bunch of cornichons on the side is the way to go. drat good way of getting your omega-3s.

e:

Decrepus posted:

I am a manbaby retard, what is the best way to prevent flinging microscopic dine particles all over the counter when I daintily pull off the last lip of the tin?

Pull the lid most of the way off until the last bit is still attached, then flex (and don't pull) the lid up and down until the thin metal at the seal fatigues and falls right off. Works for lots of seafood canned in oil stuff.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 22, 2014

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insane Totoro posted:

I saw those Riga sprats on Amazon for cheap and I was doubtful because of the one review that said Baltic waters are too polluted. :ohdear:

Some other goon in the thread said sardines are plankton feeders? If that's true, then I doubt sardines would have any sort of problem even if the waters were polluted, since all of the heavy metals that build up in fish like salmon and tuna only do so because they're at the top of the food chain. :eng101:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

In elementary school (primary school for you common wealth dudes?) I used to bring a sack lunch on occasion with sardines. I liked them a lot, I'd bring saltines and sardines and not only would this make my class, who had to sit at one large table to eat, poo poo some loving bricks because this was rural texas, but it also annoyed the poo poo out of the faculty who felt some obligation to make sure I would open the can properly. It was the boneless variety for the record. I don't get them as much anymore, but bringing those things to school was 25% me enjoying them and 75% immensely enjoying how much it upset everyone without them being able to stop me. Some of my better elementary school memories.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Zeno-25 posted:

Clear-brined on a Triscuit with an onion slice on top with a beer and a bunch of cornichons on the side is the way to go. drat good way of getting your omega-3s.

Yuuuuup!
One of the benefits of growing up in a heavily nordic populated area was ordering pickled herring and saltines at the bar and one of my grandpas like to pickle the walleye he'd catch ice fishing. :iia:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anyone like sprat?

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
I guess..

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

bonestructure posted:

Take it for what it's worth, but I just had my yearly physical and since I've been on the 'dines regular, my good cholesterol has shot up more than ten points (HDL 62.)

are you eating them in olive oil or vegetable oil

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
a few months ago I tried eating beach cliff sardines on sourdough crackers and it was the most repulsive thing ever. god bless.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterOblivious posted:

Yuuuuup!
One of the benefits of growing up in a heavily nordic populated area was ordering pickled herring and saltines at the bar and one of my grandpas like to pickle the walleye he'd catch ice fishing. :iia:

I've spent a fair amount of time in northern WI and the UP but I can't say I've ever seen pickled walleye. Would try it if I could. Deep-fried is good enough until then.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i have this thick pumpernickel that is just loving asking for it

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

bonvivant posted:

a few months ago I tried eating beach cliff sardines on sourdough crackers and it was the most repulsive thing ever. god bless.

Beach Cliffs were the first brand I tried and I had to suppress my gag reflex. Give it another shot with Bumblebee in mustard (inexpensive)or any variety of Bela, or Seasons. On toast or crackers with hot sauce.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
Sardines are nasty and fishy.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

Yuuuuup!

I live in the Pacific Northwest so my grandpa pickled salmon he caught in the stream that went past his back porch. It was ok but his smoked salmon was a lot better.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Insane Totoro posted:

thats russian b.s., russia banned their import from latvia as punishment for a political decision and cited that as the reason

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

FaradayCage posted:

also.

Also.

ALSO.

Just cracked the tin.

My god.

gently caress it, just ordered 12 cans of these for $25 from Amazon, what kind of idiot buys canned fish in the mail?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Keith Atherton posted:

Beach Cliffs were the first brand I tried and I had to suppress my gag reflex. Give it another shot with Bumblebee in mustard (inexpensive)or any variety of Bela, or Seasons. On toast or crackers with hot sauce.

Beach Cliffs taste like the inside of a dog's rear end in a top hat. Bumblebee isn't much of a step up but the mustard sauce is very effective in making them (and other cheap dines... except Beach Cliffs) palatable.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Myron Baloney posted:

gently caress it, just ordered 12 cans of these for $25 from Amazon, what kind of idiot buys canned fish in the mail?

They are really good but quite finny the way the smoking process hardens the tailfins. The best cracker-served sardine. The oil is very smoky as well, and well used to cook with rather than draining into a sink.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Haverchuck posted:

thats russian b.s., russia banned their import from latvia as punishment for a political decision and cited that as the reason

Thanks! Will buy some.

Oh god only three left in stock on Amazon

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

bonvivant posted:

are you eating them in olive oil or vegetable oil

My go-to is King Oscar tiny tots in olive oil, along with Crown Prince kipper snacks in the regular and "natural" (lower in sodium) flavors. Also Matiz Gallego and Bela when I can get them, all flavors.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

I was just enjoying some Millionaires in Sunflower Oil. It was very delicious, a lot of meat, very little bones.

But, I was finishing up the oil and bits of sardine left by soaking and scooping with some naan. The hand that was holding the can slipped and I cut my pinkie. It's right at the joint too so it wasn't bad at first but then I bent my finger and blood just started flowing, not dripping.

Still finished the rest of the can though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I tried a brisling sardine cause that's what Alton Brown said is the best sardine for your healthy lifestyle and I do not care for the flavor one bit. It's not repulsive, just very fishy and and not good by itself. I bought two tins just in case so I can probably find some way to use the other one.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

What brand? Not all brands stand up.

Also, that segment of Alton Brown is a pro watch. I was lolling when the label fell off the can, revealing his dine duplicity.

naem
May 29, 2011

Forgot I had 12 cans of KO until this thread and had a midnight snack. Squirt some lemon on there

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

What brand? Not all brands stand up.

Also, that segment of Alton Brown is a pro watch. I was lolling when the label fell off the can, revealing his dine duplicity.

These guys: http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Prince-Brisling-Sardines-3-75-Ounce/dp/B000EF3E2W

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Got a big head of elephant garlic and a tin of Matiz Gallego, gonna make this.

Sardine and Roasted Garlic
Ingredients
1 head of garlic (about 10 cloves);
8 sardine fillets;
2 tbsp capers;
2 tbsp red wine vinegar;
12 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil;
A few extra dashed of olive oil for the roasted garlic;
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste;

Preheat your oven to 400F. Cut off top of elephant garlic bulb, skin garlic.Place the bulb on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking. Bake foiled garlic on a baking sheet for 30 to 35 minutes until the garlic is tender throughout. Pop out the cloves and blend the roasted garlic, sardines, capers and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and then slowly pour in the olive oil while blending.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Inspired by this thread, this was breakfast/lunch today:

Finn Crisp Crispbread (tasty with out having the industrial strength presence of Wasa or Ak-mak)
Ripe avocado
Light touch of celery salt
Crystal hot sauce
Trader Joe's smoked herring fillets in canola oil
more Crystal
a couple of daubs of sour cream

The TJ's herrings taste pretty fishy to me, but that's why I love them so.

Anyway, added together, this was an umami godhead moment.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I'm only on page 29 of the 'dine thread, so I guess if this has already been gone over tell me to lurk more. I'm a big fan of canned kippers, especially the Trader Joe's "Smoked Herring." Now that I have roommates I have dialed back my canned fish eating as a courtesy.

I live in a place where there are amazing world-spanning grocery stores, and one of them carries, for $7.59, fine French sardines in olive oil suitable for aging. The ones they had on the shelves were canned October 2012. I'm not a huge sardine fan, though. Are these appreciably better than, say, King Oscar brislings? Worth it at three times the price? I like KOs enough, but I'd rather have a kipper.

My canned herring meal is pretty basic, beer, preferably something bland like High Life or Budweiser, Carr's table waters (yes, there is a difference between that and just "water crackers") and good ol' Tabasco.

By the way, Trader Joe's "Smoked Trout" is pretty blah and overpriced at nearly $4 a can. Canned fish talk has got me thinking of cracking open some of my stockpiled kippers on the porch.

This same store also carries non-canned, refrigerated, smoked kippers from Canada. Worth a try? They're not that expensive. This is the stuff Supertramp (purest dad rock) talks about when they ask "could we have kippers for breakfast?" right?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

Now that I have roommates I have dialed back my canned fish eating as a courtesy. cracking open some of my stockpiled kippers on the porch.

What is this tyranny? Open the can, dump out sardines, rinse can under hot water for a second, prepare and eat sardines, rinse plate under hot water for a second. Its not like you are eating durian or Surströmming. And kippers are the least olfactory of all canned fishes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The Matiz brand is really good, very nice spices. They also do an octopus that is delicious.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Did you guys know that November 24th is :woop: :woop: :siren: NATIONAL SARDINES DAY :siren: :woop: :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPpFjl8qeM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKgs4BKajs

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

taste tested some TJ's lightly smoked sardines in olive oil with 3 different hot sauces on water crackers.

Melinda's Naga Jolokia

was good, but either I didn't put enough to really taste it against the 'dines, or it was way too spicy for this application. At least for me.

el yucateco caribbean habanero

too mild, not enough cut to really balance the sardines out.

Lao gan ma spicy chili crisp

Awesome. The oniony garlicky sweet and salt and spicy worked perfectly with these. Would eat again

Edit. The sardines themselves were kind of sloppily cleaned. There were a few scales and bits. Kind of meh on that

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 25, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

MisterOblivious posted:

Did you guys know that November 24th is :woop: :woop: :siren: NATIONAL SARDINES DAY :siren: :woop: :woop:

duh, everyday is sardine day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Sizone posted:

duh, everyday is sardine day

I didn't even have sardines yesterday. :smith:

• Locked thread