Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought X-Treme at least started out positively, it just went off the rails really really fast (when Lifeguard shows up, basically). It seemed like Claremont had a plan to finally close some of those 15 year old C plot threads but lost it in the process of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

They already pointed out his weird fetish stuff, so they don't portray him as a saint.

I'm probably just being pessimistic.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rick posted:

I thought X-Treme at least started out positively, it just went off the rails really really fast (when Lifeguard shows up, basically). It seemed like Claremont had a plan to finally close some of those 15 year old C plot threads but lost it in the process of writing.

The first story arc wasn't bad at all, and thematically setting the team apart from New X-Men's mission statement was a nice little touch. But then it segued into that awful alien invasion storyline and it just kept getting worse from there.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Blockhouse posted:

I was going to start listening but how often is the Wolverine bagging? If I want to hear people complaining about him I'll just. Y'know. Look at a message board.

I've only listened to the first dozen episodes, but it hasn't gone beyond "We're not fans of Wolverine, but at this point (early Claremont) he's new and they do interesting things with him." I'm sure it will get worse as they get into the later series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hope and vaseline posted:

The first story arc wasn't bad at all, and thematically setting the team apart from New X-Men's mission statement was a nice little touch. But then it segued into that awful alien invasion storyline and it just kept getting worse from there.

They introduced Lifeguard and her brother and it all went to hell. It got away from the diary plot and became unreadable.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

They introduced Lifeguard and her brother and it all went to hell. It got away from the diary plot and became unreadable.

Did we ever find out what the diaries were predicting anyway? I vaguely remember Mike Carey retconning it away to refer to the birth of Hope in Messiah Complex, or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Did we ever find out what the diaries were predicting anyway? I vaguely remember Mike Carey retconning it away to refer to the birth of Hope in Messiah Complex, or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

It was the vague future, or whatever Claremont wanted to do that week. In his run there did not seem to be a plot in place. If I remember correctly it just dropped in the middle, sort of brought up at the end, and never mentioned again in Uncanny.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm pretty sure at some point they just said "Oh, what's written in the Diaries can be changed anyway so who cares", and then they all went back home.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

It was the vague future, or whatever Claremont wanted to do that week. In his run there did not seem to be a plot in place. If I remember correctly it just dropped in the middle, sort of brought up at the end, and never mentioned again in Uncanny.

The diaries plot died during the story where aliens invade Madripoor and Rogue either kills or doesn't kill Vargas (I think it turned out she didn't but I honestly haven't the foggiest). It then switches to them hanging out in Rogue and Gambit's house in San Francisco, there's something about mutants moving in and taking all the best jobs and houses from the humans, some other stuff I don't care about, and then we get to a Storm solo story.

Basically, Claremont had wanted to do a Storm miniseries, but I think the plug was pulled on it so he folded it into X-Treme as that ghastly "The Arena" storyline. After that he didn't go back to the diaries; he did this bollocks sequel to "God Loves, Man Kills" where Shadowcat joins the team (of course) and spends the whole time quoting the Old Testament at Stryker. Then they have to save a captive mutant who's being possessed by a guy from the Hellfire Club (who's apparently a big deal but I'm pretty sure basically comes out of nowhere), and it turns out to be... Rachel Summers? I still have no clue how or why that happened, if I'm honest.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

The diaries plot died during the story where aliens invade Madripoor and Rogue either kills or doesn't kill Vargas (I think it turned out she didn't but I honestly haven't the foggiest). It then switches to them hanging out in Rogue and Gambit's house in San Francisco, there's something about mutants moving in and taking all the best jobs and houses from the humans, some other stuff I don't care about, and then we get to a Storm solo story.

Basically, Claremont had wanted to do a Storm miniseries, but I think the plug was pulled on it so he folded it into X-Treme as that ghastly "The Arena" storyline. After that he didn't go back to the diaries; he did this bollocks sequel to "God Loves, Man Kills" where Shadowcat joins the team (of course) and spends the whole time quoting the Old Testament at Stryker. Then they have to save a captive mutant who's being possessed by a guy from the Hellfire Club (who's apparently a big deal but I'm pretty sure basically comes out of nowhere), and it turns out to be... Rachel Summers? I still have no clue how or why that happened, if I'm honest.

Yeah the storyline was him just getting ready to use her on Uncanny, and the God Loves sequel was complete poo poo I am pretty sure it was editorially mandated since it came out at the same time as X-2

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah the storyline was him just getting ready to use her on Uncanny, and the God Loves sequel was complete poo poo I am pretty sure it was editorially mandated since it came out at the same time as X-2

I think the best thing that can be said for the Uncanny run you mentioned is that a substantial part of it has art by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer. Beyond that, it's Claremont going back to what's more or less his favourite well; Captain Britain by Alan Moore and Alan Davis (by way of a 30-year old plan he had for the original "Mutant Massacre"/"Fall of the Mutants" era). I didn't think it was great when I read it (although I enjoyed the art, obviously) but having gone back and read said Captain Britain stories, I find that I like it even less.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the best thing that can be said for the Uncanny run you mentioned is that a substantial part of it has art by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer. Beyond that, it's Claremont going back to what's more or less his favourite well; Captain Britain by Alan Moore and Alan Davis (by way of a 30-year old plan he had for the original "Mutant Massacre"/"Fall of the Mutants" era). I didn't think it was great when I read it (although I enjoyed the art, obviously) but having gone back and read said Captain Britain stories, I find that I like it even less.

Do not forget it also involved all of Jean's family getting killed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SynthOrange posted:

So when's the funeral with the awkwardly shaped ridiculously heavy coffin?

Not for a while since Wolverines is about the "team" trying to keep people from getting the corpse/statue

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And we all know it'll end with them opening it and he's not there.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Gaz-L posted:

Or he's in there, with a bunch of empty beer cans, super pissed cause they didn't show up before he ran out of beer.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

He was inside us all along.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

He was inside us all along.

X-23:"CLAWS!"
Daken: "CLAWS!"
Sabretooth:"CLAWS!"
Deathstrike: "CLAWS!"
Deadpool:"SWORDS!"

Logan: "By yer powers combined, I am Captain Planet Wolverine!"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Did anyone else read Logan Legacy #4? I thought it was pretty awesome and a great Deathstrike story.

Number of great Deathstrike stories in the world is now at a grand total of one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Little Mac posted:

Number of great Deathstrike stories in the world is now at a grand total of one.

There's at least two; the one where she and the Reavers fight Wolverine in Central Park during a snowstorm is pretty good. Barry Windsor-Smith did it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

There's at least two; the one where she and the Reavers fight Wolverine in Central Park during a snowstorm is pretty good. Barry Windsor-Smith did it.
He speaks the truth, this is an awesome issue (Uncanny X-Men #205). It also features Katie Power. :allears:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I may have just been out of the loop but has the Cyclops solo space book been delayed? Or have I just had a stroke for a while?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's not delayed, it's solicited for November 26th.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I'm reading Nova and he just had a crossover with the X-Kids. Problem is, none of them were identifies and I have no idea who they are. One girl had antlers and talked to trees. Another guy was really tall and had what looked like a rooster's comb on his head. Who are these people?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I kinda liked it. In theory the school has always been a place for mutants, not just X-Men. It makes sense there'd be other characters there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Psychlone posted:

I'm reading Nova and he just had a crossover with the X-Kids. Problem is, none of them were identifies and I have no idea who they are. One girl had antlers and talked to trees. Another guy was really tall and had what looked like a rooster's comb on his head. Who are these people?

Nature Girl and Kid Gladiator, son of Gladiator.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't know how or why, but this contrived plot in Uncanny has actually hooked me really hard. Bendis is so weirdly inconsistent, but this is some good poo poo at this particular moment.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Is Uncanny still on the Xavier's will thing, or has something new started up?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Is Uncanny still on the Xavier's will thing, or has something new started up?

They're still working on the guy who Xavier's will asked them to deal with.

That might be resolved this week, I haven't read anything yet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's not. We got a really good Scott piece in the process of not resolving it, however.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Awwwwww poo poo they turned Fantomex into a Final Fantasy final boss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Storm and Beast saying "Scott Summers" each time is really weird.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

My LCS got shorted on X-Force. :argh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not a waitress.

Magik, when will you be more than Scott's taxi?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Aphrodite posted:

Storm and Beast saying "Scott Summers" each time is really weird.

Oh my god RIGHT. I had to read those pages twice. That is not how people talk.

Still. Really good issue aside, I thought. Scott Summers was loving cool in it. I dunno why I'm such a Scott Summers fanboy when he was such a wet blanket in the cartoon that pretty much introduced me to superheroes, but when Scott Summers is bring written as this self-assured, or-die-trying type, he really comes out as the character I feel like he was always supposed to become, which only makes me dread the idea of someone coming along and reverting Scott Summers to a stick-in-rear end boy scout again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was said earlier, but they say his entire name as a way of distancing themselves from him. You know how when your mom gets mad she says your whole name? It's like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He hasn't really been that for a long while now, so I don't think there's much risk of that.

Wolverine is the boring boy scout now.

Codependent Poster posted:

It was said earlier, but they say his entire name as a way of distancing themselves from him. You know how when your mom gets mad she says your whole name? It's like that.

It doesn't work when you say someone's name that many times in a short conversation.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dead people don't have much fun, sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine is still alive in like a half dozen books right now, including Uncanny.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Diet Poison posted:

Oh my god RIGHT. I had to read those pages twice. That is not how people talk.

Still. Really good issue aside, I thought. Scott Summers was loving cool in it. I dunno why I'm such a Scott Summers fanboy when he was such a wet blanket in the cartoon that pretty much introduced me to superheroes, but when Scott Summers is bring written as this self-assured, or-die-trying type, he really comes out as the character I feel like he was always supposed to become, which only makes me dread the idea of someone coming along and reverting Scott Summers to a stick-in-rear end boy scout again.

Honestly, I feel like the last decade or two of Cyclops has made me go from being indifferent about him to actively hating his presence. I feel like Cyclops has fallen victim to the Aquaman Effect, where a character gets poo poo on for so long that an entire generation of writers has made it their mission to overcompensate and show why Cyclops should be taken seriously.

"Cyclops isn't lame you guys! He's the biggest badass in the universe AND he's a tactical genius AND he can blow up cities with his mind AND all of his relatives are super special powerful badasses AND he's a rebel AND he never loses AND all the other characters have to apologize to him for thinking he's lame AND all the ladies love him AND etc."

Cyclops has turned into a massive Gary Stu over the years and his only character flaw at this point are "The haters can't handle how righteous and passionate I am" (which is not actually character flaw). For all the poo poo Wolverine gets, he at least has the semblance of character flaws and progression. Every appearance of Cyclops these days is just "Man Cyclops is so awesome, RESPECT HIM" and it makes me roll my eyes so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Weird how people can be aggressive about other people liking a character they don't.

• Locked thread