Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Len posted:

I've played a laundry list of games and the closest I came to painted was a primed army. I play because I find miniature games more enjoyable than card games. I'd be okay with prepainted and plastic if those games were as fun as the ones that require assembly.
Honestly, I have a ton of models I just can't be bothered painting too. When I do get the motivation to start painting, I do it properly though and put in some effort. I just think it's pointless getting your paints and brushes ready only to throw on the minimum 3 colours and call it a day.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please consider posting at least one image a page, thanks in advance.

Honestly, I like the Eldar Solo Cup. Its crude, but for some quick-and-dirty terrain, it isn't terrible. Better than felt squares over books for hills. And books for all other terrain. Like when I was in college.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

thocan posted:

Honestly, I like the Eldar Solo Cup. Its crude, but for some quick-and-dirty terrain, it isn't terrible. Better than felt squares over books for hills. And books for all other terrain. Like when I was in college.

It has some alright freehanding on the otherside but the entire thing feels like wasted effort because it still looks like a spray-painted cup.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

HiveCommander posted:

Honestly, I have a ton of models I just can't be bothered painting too. When I do get the motivation to start painting, I do it properly though and put in some effort. I just think it's pointless getting your paints and brushes ready only to throw on the minimum 3 colours and call it a day.

3 Colors (and a wash for shading) is fine, if you don't just slap it on like a moron.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

Ditto on the unpainted poo poo. Playing unpainted is like playing a video game without textures (that has happened a few times in the past). I don't like painting and I'm not good at it (yet?), but God-drat do I not want to play with unpainted minis. Painting might be an rear end to get into ("trimmed mold lines, basecoated, painted... what, highlights? Dry brushing? Is shading the same thing as washing? The hell is blending? What kind of sorcery is this?") and full of nasty surprises (so I wanted to paint some guys black...), but it's still better than the all plastic show.

Watched a Japanese 40K club play a few weeks ago. The Japanese, of course, have their stuff painted. The foreigners... all white Tau (one missing head...and arms) and an Eldar force that's clearly using non GW minis (judging by the color). Wasn't too pretty.

EDIT: that ork basilisk reminds me of the time I sprayed my Chimera Mica Red. That was a surprise.

Maybe if you only play one game you can get by with not having anything unpainted, but I play like 5-10 different minis games in your average month and I wouldn't get to play if I spent all my time painting.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Numlock posted:

3 Colors (and a wash for shading) is fine, if you don't just slap it on like a moron.
That's what we were talking about earlier (the "Ddoes Devlan Mud count as a colour?" crowd).

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Maybe if you only play one game you can get by with not having anything unpainted, but I play like 5-10 different minis games in your average month and I wouldn't get to play if I spent all my time painting.
This is why I started playing skirmish games. Painting a force of 10-20 minis is far more manageable than painting whole squads of 10-20 of them.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Hopefully with some pictures for the rkajdi method of getting armies painted quickly and decently (i.e. dip the poo poo out of it and choose a good color scheme)

As someone who has used the Army Painter method before (minus the dipping, but used Devlin Mud soooo... kind of the same thing?), I can say that three colors is enough as long as you understand basic color theory.

I almost have my faction army collection complete and none of it is painted. The ONLY reasons why I haven't painted them yet is because I've been too busy building the models. Thankfully, Christmas is next month and I'll finally be getting my hands on some airbrushing stuff and I should be starting my terrible painting ideas first month of 2015.

It's been almost five years since I've painted anything. It's all going to start off like poo poo at first until I get my groove back.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Have a Slaaneshi Land Raider (scroll down a bit)...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?167723-Mantis-Warriors-or-the-long-way-into-darkness/page

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

rkajdi posted:

It's not someone getting jumped on, it's drinking from the firehose. When you're starting out, the best advice isn't all this wet pallet or thinned paint stuff, it's more getting a good color scheme that you can pound out for the 100-200 figures in your army, and getting enough technical know-how to allow for it to look good on the tabletop. I envision the noob thread as a way to get people from zero to competently done army in as short a time with the minimal amount of pain possible.

Internet maleification is the idea that there's this rising standard, to the point that you can act like an internet male (i.e. she has a mole, would not date) about figures that would have been fine a few years ago. I remain unconvinced that the actual median of painting has improved much if at all, but the upper end has opened way up, to the point that basic 90s painting is now regarded as too crappy to ever actually use on the table. Net result I've seen is a lot more unpainted armies, and a lot of "Does devlin mud count as a color?" three color tournie armies. To the point that I've been to recent moderately-sized (20-30 person) events where I've done 2nd or 3rd painting with a dipped army. And not because it's great, but because so few people even get to the point of having a fully painted WFB army, much less one that's competently painted (no primer showing)

Thin your paints, drill ur bolters plz

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Living the good life, huh? I kind of envy you.

Also, why is Devlan Mud so infamous?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I must be missing something? I mean, besides using green, which is more a Nurgle color than Slaanesh. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

Living the good life, huh? I kind of envy you.

Also, why is Devlan Mud so infamous?
Washes are pretty much talent in a bottle, but Painting your Space Marine with blue armour, a metal gun and throwing a single wash over it is not going to make it look good (contrary to the beliefs of some). When someone doesn't put any effort into shading/drybrushing or any other methods of producing variance in colour, they're just staining it with a shade of brown.

BULBASAUR posted:

Thin your paints, drill ur bolters plz
Don't forget the bases! The megathread goons will hardly even look at your work if it isn't based (unless it's obviously a WIP, I guess).

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

I must be missing something? I mean, besides using green, which is more a Nurgle color than Slaanesh. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Yeah, link is a bit broken, posting from a phone. Go to page 2.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

HardCoil posted:

Yeah, link is a bit broken, posting from a phone. Go to page 2.

Okay, yeah, I see what you mean. Wish I didn't, though.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Headless, faceless, armless female torsos with bare tits, bondage corsets, and a couple of vaginas where vaginas shouldn't be, lovingly sculpted into the door openings of the purple Land Raider. Goddamnit and I was already thinking that was a good non-creepy (save for Chaos creepy) EC army. Fuckssake.

:nws:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2717_resize.jpg?t=1251652954
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2718_resize.jpg?t=1251652964
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2719_resize.jpg?t=1251652966
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2714_resize.jpg?t=1251652951

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

Headless, faceless, armless female torsos with bare tits, bondage corsets, and a couple of vaginas where vaginas shouldn't be, lovingly sculpted into the door openings of the purple Land Raider. Goddamnit and I was already thinking that was a good non-creepy (save for Chaos creepy) EC army. Fuckssake.

That is some hentai crap right there. Muffblasters, boob-surgery-gone-wrong boobs, firing cooches... I'd ask how do you masturbate to that, but I have seen quite few "globalized fetish" threads in my time.

(and wouldn't a Land Raider with demon vehicle upgrade lose carrying capacity?)

Although this gives me an idea: A Slanesshi boozehound gang! Just use rules for nurgle Marines (too drunk to feel pain/walk fast), paint it the Marines usual Slaneeshi/EC pink/black, model vine bottles and stills attached to Marines, and you're good to go.

Also, back on the "historicals can't paint track": I was looking for cheaper 1:100 T-55's, yet everything looks poo poo in comparison to what FoW have for sale.

To wit:
Sexy, expensive Kiwi armor
LOOK, IT'S A SMALL METAL TOY not-that-much cheaper alternative
Peter Pig's AK-47 Republic T-55 (unpainted!)
QRF's "Previously, in 'Fistful of TOWs' rulebook..." T-55
Another metal T-55

So, are FoW T-55s so far ahead of the curve (and thus expensive), or do they look better because some poor guy was locked in a basement before he painted the mini to look that good?

In a semi related matter, boy, do historical mini businesses hate updating websites and painting their own merchandise...

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HiveCommander posted:

That's what we were talking about earlier (the "Ddoes Devlan Mud count as a colour?" crowd).

Yeah, the example I was thinking of involved an Illyrian Reaver primed white with some blue and red applied, then covered in Devlan Mud. Exceedingly low effort, but done to let the guy into a 3 colors minimum event. It was pretty sad since the guy spent a decent amount of time getting good with his list, but felt the need to disrespect his opponents like that.

Really bad part is with a minimal amount of extra work, his stuff would have gone from crappy to actually passable. Part of what I want to get into is the places were you can cut a few corners and still have a good looking finished product.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

So, are FoW T-55s so far ahead of the curve (and thus expensive), or do they look better because some poor guy was locked in a basement before he painted the mini to look that good?

In a semi related matter, boy, do historical mini businesses hate updating websites and painting their own merchandise...

Battlefront (FoW) models generally look better from the outset, but like all companies run by former GW employees, they know the value of a good in-house painter. The person who painted the BF stock T-54/55 could make any of those other models look just as good, the only difference would be how much of the detail (and sometimes which details) is molded.

Also, about 90% of historical mini businesses are the same historical mini businesses that were running out of the same garage/tool shed/garden shed just outside of London in the 1970s, and have come great strides in their technological advances, such as now requiring you to place your orders by fax. You want pictures? You don't trust this fine craftsmanship? You can see the minis when you buy them!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, the example I was thinking of involved an Illyrian Reaver primed white with some blue and red applied, then covered in Devlan Mud. Exceedingly low effort, but done to let the guy into a 3 colors minimum event. It was pretty sad since the guy spent a decent amount of time getting good with his list, but felt the need to disrespect his opponents like that.

Really bad part is with a minimal amount of extra work, his stuff would have gone from crappy to actually passable. Part of what I want to get into is the places were you can cut a few corners and still have a good looking finished product.

I found the painting tutorial videos by TheApatheticFish pretty drat good. Dude clearly isn't a primary English speaker, but he does all sorts of cool paintjobs with a basic prime-basecoat-wash-highlight sequence - I knocked out a whole Dark Vengeance box for the local store's display case in about two weeks based on his color schemes. Simple powerful basic techniques that even a complete newbie should be able to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCWHT4okIU Crimson Slaughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW-mNDHeB24 Space Wolves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcb64k8KmwY Skaven

If we really want to start the 'basic painting/modeling' thread, this is the sort of stuff we'll want to promote, I think.

JcDent posted:

That is some hentai crap right there. Muffblasters, boob-surgery-gone-wrong boobs, firing cooches... I'd ask how do you masturbate to that, but I have seen quite few "globalized fetish" threads in my time.

(and wouldn't a Land Raider with demon vehicle upgrade lose carrying capacity?)

Although this gives me an idea: A Slanesshi boozehound gang! Just use rules for nurgle Marines (too drunk to feel pain/walk fast), paint it the Marines usual Slaneeshi/EC pink/black, model vine bottles and stills attached to Marines, and you're good to go.

I was toying around with the thought of making an EMperor's Children army based on sound - that is, a warband obsessed with finding the 'perfect sound' or something like that. Custom-built sonic weapons, cables and amps and loudspeakers in all sorts of improbable locations, Marines wired into their guns. Lots of eerie glowy pastel blues and purples. I always thought the basic idea of Slaaneshi marines was terricool - Marines given to obsession over detail and perfection - but of course nerds have to glom onto the 'heheheboobies' part of the god-thing of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

And for the record, a Land Raider with demon vehicle won't lose carrying capacity - however, whenever a unit embarks or disembarks, you get to roll a dice and see if the thing won't straight up eat a random passenger (and heal a lost hull point). lovely with something pricey like chaos terminators, hilarious if you intentionally start feeding cultists to it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

I was toying around with the thought of making an EMperor's Children army based on sound - that is, a warband obsessed with finding the 'perfect sound' or something like that. Custom-built sonic weapons, cables and amps and loudspeakers in all sorts of improbable locations, Marines wired into their guns. Lots of eerie glowy pastel blues and purples. I always thought the basic idea of Slaaneshi marines was terricool - Marines given to obsession over detail and perfection - but of course nerds have to glom onto the 'heheheboobies' part of the god-thing of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

And for the record, a Land Raider with demon vehicle won't lose carrying capacity - however, whenever a unit embarks or disembarks, you get to roll a dice and see if the thing won't straight up eat a random passenger (and heal a lost hull point). lovely with something pricey like chaos terminators, hilarious if you intentionally start feeding cultists to it.

Cultists are little shits and deserve what's coming to them.

Well, I don't want to harp too much about "but how about making sexy Slaaneshi right", but, like you said, out sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, only the last gets any sort of non-daemonic presence.

There should be a junkie Marine list, drat it, but it would probably be too :orks: for people who already whine about random Ld on Renegades and Heretics.

Oh, and for some non-titty unspiration, here's my "how hard can working with greenstuff be" stuff:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JcDent posted:

It's been a point of contention in the Historicals thread many a time.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: Slaaneshi Land Raider.

Going for a possessed vehicle with some aspect of body-horror, it's not horrendous. Bodies continuously melting, stitching, seeping and burgeoning through the hatches and the inside of it, you just know the passengers are going to have a swell time! It's like a sexy Dead Space :v:
He actually did an alright job, green-stuffing those things to look like they're melded to the hull. Although, would it have killed him to have equal representation? It takes two to tango, people!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Irate Tree posted:

Re: Slaaneshi Land Raider.

Going for a possessed vehicle with some aspect of body-horror, it's not horrendous. Bodies continuously melting, stitching, seeping and burgeoning through the hatches and the inside of it, you just know the passengers are going to have a swell time! It's like a sexy Dead Space :v:
He actually did an alright job, green-stuffing those things to look like they're melded to the hull. Although, would it have killed him to have equal representation? It takes two to tango, people!

The concept is sound but it's just completely tasteless.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
In my opinion, it's very true to the premise, and executed with skill. It's hella gross, though, which is why I would just never want to do Chaos.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Apollodorus posted:

In my opinion, it's very true to the premise, and executed with skill. It's hella gross, though, which is why I would just never want to do Chaos.

It is "true to premise" which is why I can almost forgive the tits. But the random green stuffed vags are right out. It's body horror, but being a table top game, it's probably best to leave the rated-R/NC-17 stuff at home. And there are other ways of showing this body horror. How come there are no faces? The best way of getting the same point across is to show the twisted, contorted, almost inhuman faces caused by the constant pain and pleasure being felt by the damned souls who have succumbed to this evil. Think of that one horror Japanese manga with the "This is my hole, it was made for me" except more about 'pleasure' than some weird suicide cult. The only reason this guy did t'n'a instead of faces and bodies is because he wanted to green stuff women's cootches instead of challenging himself in making humans look inhuman.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

How come there are no faces? The best way of getting the same point across is to show the twisted, contorted, almost inhuman faces caused by the constant pain and pleasure being felt by the damned souls who have succumbed to this evil.

So leave the default faces sexy miniatures comes with? :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

So leave the default faces sexy miniatures comes with? :v:

And to think we criticized GW for their man faces, when in reality they were right all along.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

(Wo)man faces on Slaanesh demons make sense if you think about it. ;)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Post 9-11 User posted this in the 40k thread:

I checked the linked DeviantArt and it's pictures of him crossplaying as someone from Evangelion and My Little Pony photos.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What the hell is the medic holding in his hands?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A helmet from a different unit and what I assume is a medkit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TIMG for cartoon tits

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 23, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tekopo posted:

TIMG for cartoon tits

If it ain't Twi'Lek boobie, it don't rate!

I'd say that he's good at painting naked chicks... but not the actual spaceship. What gives?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That strikes me as strange as well. The ship itself is sloppy and looks like rear end, but the freehand is actually quite good.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

He probably painted the ship himself and then paid somebody else who knew how to thin paints to do the anime girls.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasslefree-painted-miniature-cute-sexy-Female-Harem-Girl-in-Lingerie-/400808935874?pt=Games_US&hash=item5d521301c2
Anybody looking for a cute sexy harem girl in lingerie? How about one that looks like Steven Tyler? For only $95 this beauty could be yours!

This eBay seller has tons of other figs in the same vein if you have tons of money and no taste/soul.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

head58 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasslefree-painted-miniature-cute-sexy-Female-Harem-Girl-in-Lingerie-/400808935874?pt=Games_US&hash=item5d521301c2
Anybody looking for a cute sexy harem girl in lingerie? How about one that looks like Steven Tyler? For only $95 this beauty could be yours!

This eBay seller has tons of other figs in the same vein if you have tons of money and no taste/soul.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400777744097?nav=SEARCH please tell me that isn't an actual miniature and is instead something the guy modified.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Len posted:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400777744097?nav=SEARCH please tell me that isn't an actual miniature and is instead something the guy modified.

No words really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Len posted:

It is converted-- It doesn't have the rape tentacle still attached.