Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Wipfmetz posted:

The day I learned that honking cannot be heared by other players was the day my heart broke.
what the hell, seriously?! I've been honking my heart out. If that's true, I'd really wanna know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wipfmetz posted:

The day I learned that honking cannot be heared by other players was the day my heart broke.

Wait, what? Whose honkings am I listening to every time I spawn, then?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I think it's only the Jeep honk you can't hear

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Level 5 Driver, loving that +75% Unlock boost. By the time I get to level 7 I should have enough saved for my Thompson and the motorcycle.

I got a chance to try out the Thompson today, a teamate having dropped it. I read that it wasn't all that impressive, but as a Grease Gun user I found it to be fantastic at throwing down lead fast at mid ranges.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I think it's only the Jeep honk you can't hear
Might be. We only tried it with the Kübelwagen.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It makes no sound for people you are grouped with otherwise I think it works.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

It makes no sound for people you are grouped with otherwise I think it works.
Because those are that last guys I'd want to signal, ok.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone reading this thread played the game for longer than 4 months?

You'll find that generally many of the "bugs"/poor design changes that seem to linger well beyond any reasonable length of time are the ones that overcharge/steal warfunds, credits or gold. But it's beta, right?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wipfmetz posted:

Because those are that last guys I'd want to signal, ok.

No need. You can make "Honk, Honk" noises on the VoIP server of your choice.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man, I cannot believe how close this game toes the line in the "Am I having fun?" test.

It's probably the goddamn derpiest FPS that I've played since 2005 and is rage inducing at times.

It's the closest experience to walking to the bathroom at 2:00 am through a messy room, poo poo everywhere that you stumble over and get blocked by.

I also played Airfield in fog this afternoon and it really, really highlighted just how bad hacking is in this game. About 45 minutes of getting head-shot sniped from enemies I could never see. The entire room was upset in chat over the blatant cheating.

I ended up just quitting another Airfield match because 15/18 players on each time were playing sniper... that isn't fun and just makes for long stalemates.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Most people crying about hackers are full of poo poo and bitter tears. Oh no, someone shot 3 people in a row with head shots. Better run to the report forums and make your case, you junior ace detective you! I am the guy, getting those head shots. 4 in a row is my record. With PPSh pre-fired at eye level while walking into a point mid-cap. 4 out of 5 idiots were just standing there, ignoring the door. They went down in under 2 seconds. But I got to hear about how much of a hacker I am in chat for the next 5 minutes.

People firing tank shells out of sniper rifle are hacking. Tank dispensing shells at machinegun rate may just be an obvious hacker. Full auto pistol with a bottomless magazine may also be a suspect. I've personally witnessed that poo poo, took a screen shot, and quietly submitted a report later.

Catching a bullet from the dense of fog is you sucking at the game and failing to understand how visibility works, not a work of hacketry.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Playing this game reminds me of all the tedium or WWII online with worse armor play, less combined arms, and less stuff that you actually get to use.

The graphics are nicer and you can ride bikes I guess?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Do not insult the bike.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Most people crying about hackers are full of poo poo and bitter tears. Oh no, someone shot 3 people in a row with head shots. Better run to the report forums and make your case, you junior ace detective you! I am the guy, getting those head shots. 4 in a row is my record. With PPSh pre-fired at eye level while walking into a point mid-cap. 4 out of 5 idiots were just standing there, ignoring the door. They went down in under 2 seconds. But I got to hear about how much of a hacker I am in chat for the next 5 minutes.

People firing tank shells out of sniper rifle are hacking. Tank dispensing shells at machinegun rate may just be an obvious hacker. Full auto pistol with a bottomless magazine may also be a suspect. I've personally witnessed that poo poo, took a screen shot, and quietly submitted a report later.

Catching a bullet from the dense of fog is you sucking at the game and failing to understand how visibility works, not a work of hacketry.

No I'm pretty sure it's a well known and wide spread problem, but it's a terrible game so I just consider it part of the experience.

Third World Reggin posted:

Do not insult the bike.

Speaking of which, I'm very close to getting my Sharkcycle, my only fear is that it'll be harder to run Germans down

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 21, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrox posted:

Congratulations on being good at a free to play shooter. That doesn't invalidate the fact that people are cheating like hell in the game.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You would actually have to be playing an entirely different game to not notice the cheating in H&G or dumb as poo poo, it's hilarious.

In the meantime... Sharkcycle has been obtained :getin:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Getting and upgrading my MG42 when I played regularly a couple of months ago made me feel like I was cheating.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Mans posted:

Congratulations on being good at a free to play shooter. That doesn't invalidate the fact that people are cheating like hell in the game.

There are people who are crazy good at the game. I was messing around with planes and I watched a messerschmidt get away by turning sideways and flying in circles through a forest under the canopy until I lost him because I wasn't crazy enough to try and follow him.

It's stupid to suggest that aimbots and other hacks aren't completely loving rampant, though - a quick google search will find you a pretty complete package, consisting of an aimbot, overlays, radar, and even a warning system to tell you when players are approaching you from behind. It's not exactly rocket science.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Professor Shark posted:

Man, I cannot believe how close this game toes the line in the "Am I having fun?" test.

It's probably the goddamn derpiest FPS that I've played since 2005 and is rage inducing at times.

It's the closest experience to walking to the bathroom at 2:00 am through a messy room, poo poo everywhere that you stumble over and get blocked by.

I also played Airfield in fog this afternoon and it really, really highlighted just how bad hacking is in this game. About 45 minutes of getting head-shot sniped from enemies I could never see. The entire room was upset in chat over the blatant cheating.

I ended up just quitting another Airfield match because 15/18 players on each time were playing sniper... that isn't fun and just makes for long stalemates.

On the other hand when it's good it's legitimately good. And every now and then it gets incredibly hilarious to play it.

That factory level with multiple squadrons of fighters and bombers duking it out is some of the most insanely chaotic poo poo i've seen in a WW2 game. Especially if you get unlucky and it's foggy out. No one in the air can see poo poo and the level is cramped enough that it leads to massive team killing as both teams have to make snap judgement calls on whether to open fire or not. The whole map becomes some sort of ridiculous guerrilla war as everyone tries to avoid their own side's trigger happy pilots.

The last time I was in a goon group that had that scenario we were all afraid to step outside given how bad the aerial fuckfest was. Wearing a headset was a constant auditory assault as like half a dozen bombers just carpet bombed the level any time they saw something as much as a tree move. I managed to convince a bunch of goons to pile into my jeep to make a run for a point only to get halfway to the factory itself (as everything exploded around us) before one of our own bombers made a bad judgement call and blew the entire group to hell.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 21, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That sounds like a boatload of fun. But I'm also one of those crazy persons who loves the fog.

Professor Shark posted:

You would actually have to be playing an entirely different game to not notice the cheating in H&G or dumb as poo poo, it's hilarious.

In the meantime... Sharkcycle has been obtained :getin:
Oh poo poo, what a clever spoiler. Too bad nobody has even remotely suggested that cheating is not a thing. However, attributing your lack of awareness to cheating is a whole different ballgame. Because if you got shot and didn't see the shooter, it's definitely the haxors. Yep.

For a change of pace, I'd love to see an option to purchase other faction's small arms or even vehicles. Maybe put a huge ceiling on it, like a level 12 weapon mastery or something. But trying different guns is fun, especially if it's the thompson :)

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 22, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nitrox posted:

That sounds like a boatload of fun. But I'm also one of those crazy persons who loves the fog.

Oh poo poo, what a clever spoiler. Too bad nobody has even remotely suggested that cheating is not a thing. However, attributing your lack of awareness to cheating is a whole different ballgame. Because if you got shot and didn't see the shooter, it's definitely the haxors. Yep.

lol you're the one that suggested that hacking wasn't a thing and that people who whine about it really must just suck at the game, as you're continuing to do.

Sorry that I besmirched your lovely F2P FPS and thus challenged your fragile ego, enjoy your continued denial until people just stop logging in, I guess.

Speaking of which, I'm deleting this game today, having just accessed the Sharkcycle. I used it twice it the condition went down to 90%, requiring money to fix, which I guess I should have expected from this game.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hahaha, that doesn't loving surprise me with how much it costs to keep a osk gun working (still gently caress those guys, gently caress them to hell) and the fact there's usually a couple of suspicious people per game I don't blame you, I regret the £15 I put into this game.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
No need for a meltdown. Vehicle repair costs are hardly noticeable. But uninstall as needed. More room for ...

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 22, 2014

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

spent all my money on my us guys, all my friends started playing as nazis and don't want to switch :(

Kinda stupid that you have to unlock things for both sides since most things have some kind of equivalent thing for the other side anyway (except I guess tanks)

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

organburner posted:

spent all my money on my us guys, all my friends started playing as nazis and don't want to switch :(

Kinda stupid that you have to unlock things for both sides since most things have some kind of equivalent thing for the other side anyway (except I guess tanks)

If all you really want is to be a tanker, the German side is the way to go. Germany has faster progression through their trees and more upgrades over the American side. Also, while the planes are basically equivalent in terms of performance, the Lightning is bigger and commensurately easier to hit, while the German plane gets their resupply faster (90s vs 120) at the cost of 1 fewer bomb on their bomb load. The bomb load thing might seem like an American advantage, but there's a badge that gives you extra bombs, so Germany ends up pulling ahead there (along with their bombs being easier to hit precisely, being center-mounted instead of dropping from the wings).

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Olesh posted:

If all you really want is to be a tanker, the German side is the way to go. Germany has faster progression through their trees and more upgrades over the American side. Also, while the planes are basically equivalent in terms of performance, the Lightning is bigger and commensurately easier to hit, while the German plane gets their resupply faster (90s vs 120) at the cost of 1 fewer bomb on their bomb load. The bomb load thing might seem like an American advantage, but there's a badge that gives you extra bombs, so Germany ends up pulling ahead there (along with their bombs being easier to hit precisely, being center-mounted instead of dropping from the wings).

nahh I had a ton of infantry stuff unlocked as well as tanks and planes.
Then again I played before you had to unlock different tank types and poo poo which was a very nice surprise.
loving mg tanks are useless.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah, no hackers here

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Jade Star posted:

Yeah, no hackers here

I have seen those sorts of numbers from really skilled pilots. Was he in a plane?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I had a guy put up similar numbers with only one death in my last game. He was bombing the absolute poo poo out of the Americans.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Triple A posted:

I have seen those sorts of numbers from really skilled pilots. Was he in a plane?

Recon

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. Is there anything I should know, so that I don't waste too much time banging my head against a wall?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
its a bad but fun bf1942 where planes rule it all and german poo poo is better

and don't listen to goons

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

In that case, he probably modded his bolt-action for maximum damage and found a good place to remove burger from.

Plan Z posted:

So I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow. Is there anything I should know, so that I don't waste too much time banging my head against a wall?

Don't make your first character a tanker or a pilot.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 23, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Triple A posted:

In that case, he probably modded his bolt-action for maximum damage and found a good place to remove burger from.

Dude, seriously, love you, but you're really really clinging to the inside of the closet here if you don't think there are hackers/aimbot users in H&G and that we can't spot them when they do.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reggin posted:

its a bad but fun bf1942 where planes rule it all and german poo poo is better

and don't listen to goons

Does that mean this game is good but unfun bf2142 where tanks rule it all and american poo poo is better? :smug:

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Jade Star posted:

Dude, seriously, love you, but you're really really clinging to the inside of the closet here if you don't think there are hackers/aimbot users in H&G and that we can't spot them when they do.

I've seen no evidence of people cheating beyond people I play the game with also having the hacks.

None whatsoever.

poo poo is super wide-spread.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Does that mean this game is good but unfun bf2142 where tanks rule it all and american poo poo is better? :smug:

No... Infantry kill tanks easier than other tanks can. Learning the few maps is important to doing well... Starting off in a tank will just end up with you getting killed constantly because you keep loving popping your head out to see where you are.

If you don't know the maps as a pilot, you won't know the routes people take and will have a hell of a time killing peeps on the ground.

Infantry first for sure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jade Star posted:

Yeah, no hackers here
There is absolutely nobody here who claimed that the game doesn't have hackers. Also, those kind of numbers are not too crazy for a dominant air force. But if recon, yeah. In my anecdotal experience, 90% of blatant cheaters are in recon class. No idea why. I've watched a guy fire tank shells out of sniper rifle from a mile away. And if you witness that poo poo, please take a screenshot and submit it here http://support.heroesandgenerals.com/ With the screenshots, the banhammer is swift and merciless. I've gotten "Action has been taken" response email in about 24 hours.

Plan Z posted:

Join the Axis, buy SMG, car, grenades. Do not upgrade your guns, save game cash. And play until you learn the maps. Get in mumble

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 23, 2014

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's hard to make WF in the RTS part of the game with anything other than guards and non-motorized infantry (tank hunting with sticky grenades).

I've made WF using my light tanks, but never have paratroopers been worth the cost. I've also failed to make WF with planes, as it really relies on having very few crashes and lots of enemy tanks.

Any tips here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
So I just discovered this and got all nostalgic for the old bf 1942 days. Unfortunately I went American before checking SA for a thread, how do I switch sides?

• Locked thread