Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like Lilyhammer. I like to pretend that Sil from The Sopranos went into witness protection. Even had Sopranos jokes in S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GORDON posted:

I like Lilyhammer. I like to pretend that Sil from The Sopranos went into witness protection. Even had Sopranos jokes in S2.

Sil would never rat.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

precision posted:

Silent Running is improved immensely if you can grab 65daysofstatic's re-soundtracking of it and sync it up. Not the commercial release (which is only like 44 minutes long) but the actual live score they did of it.

Yessss

Here it is on youtube. The audio is not perfect but it makes a HUGE difference. It is seriously one of my favorite movies with the 65daysofstatic score.

65 vs Silent Running: http://youtu.be/6jxfO_wZYSQ

Seriously this is amazing and everybody should watch it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 22, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Silent Running really typifies sci-fi movies of the era, especially in Dern's big speech to his fellow crewmen about how fake and plastic and horrible the Earth is. That was what almost all movies in that genre were about for several years, it was always a future where either contemporary social problems overrun us (Soylent Green) or we've achieved stability but at the cost of our souls.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

A lot of those movies were also the product of space race era visions of push-button disposable utopias meeting the increased awareness of environmental issues and limited resources going into the 1970s. Our rad domed futurecities started either costing us all plant life on Earth or requiring us to be recycled at the age of 30.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just saw End of Watch as it left instant. Holy poo poo. Great movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Malloreon posted:

I just saw End of Watch as it left instant. Holy poo poo. Great movie.

Interestingly, Sabotage went up on instant at around the same time.

Now, watch Sabotage, and keep in mind that it is not a generic Arnie pick and is, indeed, an Oliver Stone-esque indictment of the War on Drugs.

Then everyone go out and see Fury.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fury is still in theatres too, so no excuses!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fury is still in theatres too, so no excuses!

my excuse, is i don't really like David Ayer. i might peep Sabotage now that it's on Netflix tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently Netflix removed LOL from streaming the same day that How Did This Get Made's podcast about it went up. That's some timing. I want to see this trainwreck now. :argh:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Diving Bell made me miserable when I saw it about three years ago. Lovely film.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sabotage has one of Arnold's best acting performances but the movie as a whole didn't do much for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it really didn't come together at all. I said this in the GenChat thread, but it feels like the screenwriters and the studio had very different ideas of what the movie was supposed to be and too many compromises were made by both.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I don't know about that. The film is thoroughly consistent in its portrayal of its protagonists as a gang of ruthless, borderline sociopath thugs and all the attempts at 'humanizing' them - well, humanizing Arnie, who basically plays a deadbeat dad to a bunch of action movie youngbloods who have clearly been taught too well by the old school - is consistently undermined by an omnipresent tone of cynicism.

A perfect example is the scene in the strip club. In a generic action movie, the strippers would just be hanger-on's, titillating formalities meant to coerce the spectator into accepting the inevitable violence as a kind of ecstatic, libidinal release. In Ayer's vision, the strippers are actually portrayed as people who can't stand these assholes. There's a 'blink and you miss it' close up that Ayer gets of one of them rolling her eyes, and I think this is absolutely the reaction he intends the spectator to have to these foul-mouthed, 'roid-raging stereotypes.

I think what some might of seen as compromise I accepted more readily as fairly overt subversion. Compromise, to me, would have been getting the suspicious feeling that Ayer wants us to sympathize with Arnie when he massacres the Mexican gin joint. Instead, I just felt both terrified and saddened by what he had become.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Apparently Netflix removed LOL from streaming the same day that How Did This Get Made's podcast about it went up. That's some timing. I want to see this trainwreck now. :argh:
Aww, those motherfuckers. That's a movie I probably never would have watched for any other reason, but since HDTGM announced they were doing it on the last minisode, I was gonna give it a chance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aww, those motherfuckers. That's a movie I probably never would have watched for any other reason, but since HDTGM announced they were doing it on the last minisode, I was gonna give it a chance.

They played the audio from a scene in the first 20 minutes that consists of Miley Cyrus trying to take a shower while her mother, Demi Moore, is taking a bath at the same time and Demi Moore asks "Is that a Brazilian?"

:stare:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a ridiculous movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

They played the audio from a scene in the first 20 minutes that consists of Miley Cyrus trying to take a shower while her mother, Demi Moore, is taking a bath at the same time and Demi Moore asks "Is that a Brazilian?"

:stare:
:stonk: What the gently caress?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Well? Was it?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

dik-dik posted:

Well? Was it?

I'm sure celebrity news journalists know and really care about this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sout posted:

I'm sure celebrity news journalists know and really care about this.

Wayne Coyne has undoubtedly written a song about it by now.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm watching this thing called whitey, about whitey bulger, a mafia type from Boston, and a man I knew very little about before now. Interesting film if you're into the crime documentary thing. Apparently Jack Nicholson's character in The Departed is based on this guy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Detention is flat-out the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. Thanks This Thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've been watching ABC's Agents of Shield, which apparently went up some time recently. It seems to be turning out like a mildly updated version of those mid-90s syndicated action shows for UHF Saturday afternoon, which is kind of fun. It really doesn't feel like a Whedon joint at all, and I notice that aside from his brother and his brother's girlfriend, he doesn't have any of his old crew working on this one--and even they only date back to Dollhouse.

The whole thing feels really bland and kind of designed to serve as a means of keeping the Marvel franchise warm between movies, like Disney used their broadcast tv network to generate a low-cost vector to maintain word-of-mouth on their wholly-owned superhero wing. I can see small touches of the Mutant Enemy charm, but it really feels like a show designed by committee and built around gratuitous references to the movies. I know he's really only just another Hollywood cog, but I kind of thought Whedon's sensibilities would turn toward at least slightly subverting that kind of poo poo. I would honestly like the show a lot more if they quit dropping movie references into the episodes: I haven't seen one yet that seems even slightly natural or appropriate. It's like they're doing product placement for themselves.

Should I stick with it or does it fall off sharply from bland and campy to total garbage?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

I've been watching ABC's Agents of Shield, which apparently went up some time recently. It seems to be turning out like a mildly updated version of those mid-90s syndicated action shows for UHF Saturday afternoon, which is kind of fun. It really doesn't feel like a Whedon joint at all, and I notice that aside from his brother and his brother's girlfriend, he doesn't have any of his old crew working on this one--and even they only date back to Dollhouse.

The whole thing feels really bland and kind of designed to serve as a means of keeping the Marvel franchise warm between movies, like Disney used their broadcast tv network to generate a low-cost vector to maintain word-of-mouth on their wholly-owned superhero wing. I can see small touches of the Mutant Enemy charm, but it really feels like a show designed by committee and built around gratuitous references to the movies. I know he's really only just another Hollywood cog, but I kind of thought Whedon's sensibilities would turn toward at least slightly subverting that kind of poo poo. I would honestly like the show a lot more if they quit dropping movie references into the episodes: I haven't seen one yet that seems even slightly natural or appropriate. It's like they're doing product placement for themselves.

Should I stick with it or does it fall off sharply from bland and campy to total garbage?

Supposedly it gets better whenever Captain America 2 happens so maybe stick till then.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm watching this thing called whitey, about whitey bulger, a mafia type from Boston, and a man I knew very little about before now. Interesting film if you're into the crime documentary thing. Apparently Jack Nicholson's character in The Departed is based on this guy.

Off-thread-topic, but I believe the Showtime series Brotherhood (not currently on Netflix) models the central family on the Bulgers, specifically Whitey and his politician brother. Think Sopranos meets House of Cards. It never got much attention while on but was pretty solid.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I just noticed the original Conan the Barbarian is on Crackle.

Worth it for the Dino di Laurentis soundtrack alone.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Basil Poledouris did the soundtrack. You might also know it as the go to for a ton of commercials as well as Zelda Commercials.
Karate-Robo Zaborgar might be my favorite movie I have seen on Netflix for quite some time. I would describe it as Gonzo meets Ultraman.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jack Gladney posted:

Agents of SHIELD is not great television, but season two is better for whatever that's worth.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Junkie Disease posted:

Basil Poledouris did the soundtrack. You might also know it as the go to for a ton of commercials as well as Zelda Commercials.
Karate-Robo Zaborgar might be my favorite movie I have seen on Netflix for quite some time. I would describe it as Gonzo meets Ultraman.

Argh yeah was typing this as the credits were playing and juxtaposed the name. Dino wasn't a composer

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jack Gladney posted:

That's because it isn't a Joss Whedon joint. His brother and his brother's wife run the show. Joss Whedon himself only wrote and directed the pilot, and he occasionally gives notes on the overall storyline, but it really isn't his show in the vein of Buffy / Angel / Firefly / Dollhouse.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yeah I dropped AoS at midseason last year and came back for the Cap 2 fallout and it's been solid to very good ever since. One character in particular does a heel turn and becomes dramatically better as a result.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's worth it for the blend of an impossibly huge human wielding a giant sword in what somehow feels like a 70s art house film. Also every other thing about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conan the Barbarian is fantastic. It makes literally no sense. Conan fights a man who can change into a giant snake, yet he never turns into a giant snake to fight Conan. But also Conan fights a giant snake at one point. James Earl Jones has a breastplate that accommodates his distinctly un-barbarian paunch, plus blue eyes and a blonde wig. Conan is crucified and returns after three days. A magic lady uses sex to transform into a leopard.

Just watch it and love every minute.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Jack Gladney posted:

Conan the Barbarian is fantastic. It makes literally no sense. Conan fights a man who can change into a giant snake, yet he never turns into a giant snake to fight Conan. But also Conan fights a giant snake at one point. James Earl Jones has a breastplate that accommodates his distinctly un-barbarian paunch, plus blue eyes and a blonde wig. Conan is crucified and returns after three days. A magic lady uses sex to transform into a leopard.

And it answers what's best in life

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Contemplate this movie on the tree of woe.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Jack Gladney posted:

It also has an amazing soundtrack. Wish it was on Netflix...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Sarchasm posted:

Agents of SHIELD is not great television, but season two is better for whatever that's worth.

AoS gets much better about halfway S1 and continuous in S2. It's not innovative or amazing in anyway, but it's a fun watch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seeing a few episodes of Scorpion made me appreciate Agents of SHIELD a lot more. Scorpion is terrible. My stepmom keeps DVRing it and playing the episodes when I come to visit because she thinks I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Stretch was actually pretty fun. Thanks, thread.

• Locked thread