Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

SubG posted:

Reeds are cheaper than strings, though.

I'm having a hard time believing this, but I play bari sax so everything is automatically five times more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah. The guitars I play the most cost me US$200 and US$120, plus about an equivalent amount in new pickups. I also play tenor sax, and my two main saxes cost me around US$2700 and US$1500, and the mouthpiece I use the most was about US$400.

Reeds are cheaper than strings, though.

I've got one of these in a box somewhere. I can't play it for poo poo but it sounds pretty cool
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xaphoon-Pocket-Sax-Black-Finish/dp/B0002ODPDI

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

sout posted:

Huh, these kits are drat cheap actually, I know you get silly pimped out guitars with lasers and handles or whatever but guitars are really relatively cheap instruments from what I heard, a friend of mine plays Bassoon and that has an entry level price of like at least £1000.

Speaking of lasers...

Laser shooting banjo ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gIitdhXTdY

e:quote

crashdome fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 22, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ElectricHeir posted:

I'm having a hard time believing this, but I play bari sax so everything is automatically five times more expensive.
I usually pay around US$2 a pop for `real' reeds, and a reed lasts me longer than a set of strings (assuming the same playing time). But I usually actually use Légère synthetics which cost like US$20 but last forever (or at least until you gently caress 'em up somehow).

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've got one of these in a box somewhere. I can't play it for poo poo but it sounds pretty cool
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xaphoon-Pocket-Sax-Black-Finish/dp/B0002ODPDI
It's like a sopranino with even less cred.

The completely stupid woodwind thing I kinda want but not for the money is a Yamaha WX5 or one of the Akais. They're the keytars of the woodwind world.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
um
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loaded-Sugar-Pine-Telecaster-body-with-burnt-finish/281505258116

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
wrong thread, in fact you should have just pm'd it to me.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
:circlefap:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Give me that guitar I want to rock it

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i play cello so replacing my strings costs like $200

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Stux posted:

the real winner in the price war is bass, as bass guitar is even cheaper than electric

There's a bigger used market for electrics, and better cheap aftermarket parts. Having gone the moneygrubbing route with both I think electric wins, but then I guess if you do the metho thing with your strings bass is probably cheaper in the long run because they last for ages despite that initial cost.
Still, I think you can get a better electric setup for less than an equally good bass setup.

Ferroque posted:

i play cello so replacing my strings costs like $200
I wanted to learn Cello, but that worries me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
no one will look at you weird if you have a solid state bass amp

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

muike posted:

tbh i dont really even notice what amps most ppl have unless its really nice or a line 6.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
probably cause im not the kind of jackass sperg who lurks over gear at a show and can't talk about anything else

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i like seeing what stuff other people use from time to time, though usually it's the same tubescreamer/line 6 delay/boss chorus/tuner combo

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
do you nerds like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSQW5MfeRrQp

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Passable.

muike posted:

Yeah but a giggable bass rig isn't much cheaper than a giggable tube guitar rig anyway.
e: though maybe I don't know poo poo about what is/isn't giggable for bass.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

what about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B2D2gwms0

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Eh, not really for me.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Sleepflower posted:

Eh, not really for me.

i love the lyrics. wtf is the creep in this song talking about

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sleepflower posted:

Passable.

Yeah but a giggable bass rig isn't much cheaper than a giggable tube guitar rig anyway.

ive got a 100 watt acoustic bass amp, its loud as gently caress for small venues and bigger venues usually mic it up or line out anyway no matter the amp. "loud enough for a house show" is pretty much the only specification that matters imo.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

shiksa posted:

ive got a 100 watt acoustic bass amp, its loud as gently caress for small venues and bigger venues usually mic it up or line out anyway no matter the amp. "loud enough for a house show" is pretty much the only specification that matters imo.

I was under the impression that it took 200-300 to keep up with a drummer, so that's good news.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sleepflower posted:

I was under the impression that it took 200-300 to keep up with a drummer, so that's good news.

i mean theres probably people who would say that to justify the money they dropped on a 500 watt bass head, but yeah ive totally made do with a 100 watt amp, un-miced, in loud rear end bands

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

did you guys in the music scene wear earplugs, or are earplugs still considered uncool

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i wear earplugs and my hair covers my ears anyway so whatever

jokes on those dummies who are going to be deaf at 35.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
deaf as gently caress

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

I've been asked about burnt pine a LOT lately, I guess I should buy a blowtorch and give it a go. Any one know why it's become so popular?

muike posted:

Yep, this is why I ended up buying a cheap valve amp (Harley Benton GA5, basically a re-branded Epihpone Valve Jr mk2 with an 'eq' knob that does nothing), I had a nice 30w vox-copy transistor amp that sounded great with everything. A lot of snobbier guitar players wouldn't like testing things out through it though, so I got a small valve amp to keep them happy.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Well, no QC pics, but tracking says my chickenbacker is on its way. To quote the Chinese EMS tracking page:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Sleepflower posted:

Passable.

The bassist can plug straight into the mixing board and it sounds great. I think Bassists should spend most of their attention on getting the nicest bass they can afford.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Let me know if you do! I'll be happy to talk you through it. It's pretty easy tbh, but a little help never hurts.

Thank you blessed eggs. I'll buy it around this time next month when the relatives send me cards with either 20 quid or one of those tiny bags of Haribo.
I should probably start with something basic: What sort of paint should I buy?

Also for christmas I'm meant to be getting a 60 watt Peavey combo tube amp and I'm a bit worried about loudness being a bit too loud.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

IronLawnmower posted:

Thank you blessed eggs. I'll buy it around this time next month when the relatives send me cards with either 20 quid or one of those tiny bags of Haribo.
I should probably start with something basic: What sort of paint should I buy?

Also for christmas I'm meant to be getting a 60 watt Peavey combo tube amp and I'm a bit worried about loudness being a bit too loud.

Since you are in the UK I recommend Plasti-kote, it's £7 a can from Wilkinsons (I think B&Q sell it too, not 100% though) so it's not cheap, but it gives good results and it comes in lots of gross colours. The automotive spray you get at Halfords isn't too bad either, but the quality seems to vary between batches (some of the paints can be a bit thinner, it's not too much of a problem though). About 2 cans of paint should do you. For the finish you can buy a can of spray-on poly, or, buy some water based wipe-on poly (Wilkos' quick dry varnish is pretty good), a small tin should be enough. I'd say you are looking at about £17-£18 on paint and finishing. You'll also need wet/dry sandpaper (I'd recommend at least two sheets of 320, 400, 600, 800 and 1500), a sanding block, a buffing compound and something to buff with.

You could also go insane and glue vinyl sheeting over it. That'd work.

a 60 watt tube amp is LOUD AS gently caress. my 5w tube amp can just overpower my 30W stereo in terms of volume.

e: If it's a hybrid amp (Tube pre-amp with sold-state main amp) it won't be too bad, still loud though.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 22, 2014

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Since you are in the UK I recommend Plasti-kote, it's £7 a can from Wilkinsons (I think B&Q sell it too, not 100% though) so it's not cheap, but it gives good results and it comes in lots of gross colours. The automotive spray you get at Halfords isn't too bad either, but the quality seems to vary between batches (some of the paints can be a bit thinner, it's not too much of a problem though). About 2 cans of paint should do you. For the finish you can buy a can of spray-on poly, or, buy some water based wipe-on poly (Wilkos' quick dry varnish is pretty good), a small tin should be enough. I'd say you are looking at about £17-£18 on paint and finishing. You'll also need wet/dry sandpaper (I'd recommend at least two sheets of 320, 400, 600, 800 and 1500), a sanding block, a buffing compound and something to buff with.

You could also go insane and glue vinyl sheeting over it. That'd work.

a 60 watt tube amp is LOUD AS gently caress. my 5w tube amp can just overpower my 30W stereo in terms of volume.

e: If it's a hybrid amp (Tube pre-amp with sold-state main amp) it won't be too bad, still loud though.

It's gonna be this motherfucker. http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/740/116912/6505%26reg%3BPlus112

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

LOUD AS gently caress

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

ThePutty posted:

did you guys in the music scene wear earplugs, or are earplugs still considered uncool

Earplugs are way cooler than tinnitus

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Sleepflower posted:

LOUD AS gently caress

Tips to avoid demolishing my house? It's kinda already been bought and it's just sitting in my garage waiting till Christmas.
Have I done goofed?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

IronLawnmower posted:

Tips to avoid demolishing my house? It's kinda already been bought and it's just sitting in my garage waiting till Christmas.
Have I done goofed?

Play it in the garage. Cheaper to rebuild when you explode it with sick metal riffs.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

IronLawnmower posted:

Have I done goofed?

Be more worried about your hearing and neighbours. Get earplugs and/or keep the volume low, however the latter will sound kinda lovely because tubes are like that.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

IronLawnmower posted:

Have I done goofed?

They sound fine at house volume, don't worry. Tube spergs get really uppity when someone suggests playing an amp at low volume but gently caress, a man's got to practice and you don't need a second practice amp once you own something like a 5150/6505, DSL40, or whatever - they are perfectly adequate for practicing on and when you gig with them you'll be like "Holy poo poo!" You'll want to crank it somewhat to help get the speaker broke in, so send mom and dad to the movies sometimes. The Sheffields take some warming up.

You just need to figure out what pedals you're going to throw on there.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

ZombieParts posted:

They sound fine at house volume, don't worry. Tube spergs get really uppity when someone suggests playing an amp at low volume but gently caress, a man's got to practice and you don't need a second practice amp once you own something like a 5150/6505, DSL40, or whatever - they are perfectly adequate for practicing on and when you gig with them you'll be like "Holy poo poo!" You'll want to crank it somewhat to help get the speaker broke in, so send mom and dad to the movies sometimes. The Sheffields take some warming up.

You just need to figure out what pedals you're going to throw on there.

Pick-ups and pedals are the most confusing things for me even more than amps. God help me.
To stop this turning into "IronLawnmower is a stupid idiot please help him" thread I should probably post an ugly guitar.

What the hell kind of pattern is that and why did he think it'd be a good idea to play that thing in a metal band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sleepflower posted:

Be more worried about your hearing and neighbours. Get earplugs and/or keep the volume low, however the latter will sound kinda lovely because tubes are like that.

Granted I don't know too much about tube amps, but wouldn't turning the 'pre' knobs up get the valves running at a decent load without having to be turned up all the way? I modded my amp to have an extra pre-amp pot so I could get nice tube crunch without it being too loud.

• Locked thread