Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it super bad to use a wii-u controller vs a GameCube controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

VelociBacon posted:

Nope. It's a fine controller.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

If you're used to playing Smash with a Gamecube controller using something else is really weird and most people don't like it. If you aren't already conditioned to playing with the Gamecube controller I don't really see any reason the Pro Controller or Gamepad would be worse.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
The game's great so far. Having bought the GC version of smash and not really remembering about playing it, I think the Wii U Pro controller feels really nice. The movement feels a little mushy to me, but the entire fighting system feels pretty foreign to me right now, so that may improve. Pressing a button to jump in a fighting game is pretty disconcerting, too.

I got two Amiibos: Metroid and Zelda.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I might pick up a pro controller today because movement with the joysticks feels a little mushy for me too and I think it might be because all my GameCube controllers are like 10 years old and got beaten the hell up through tons of Smash in high school/college.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Are any Amiibos rare? I have access to them all right now

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Are any Amiibos rare? I have access to them all right now

I've heard Villager and Marth are the "rare" ones, but I have also heard that as long as you don't mind driving to a couple different stores, it's stupid easy to get access to the entire set.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Wii-Fit Trainer and Villager were made in smaller numbers. Link might be pretty hard to get too since he's pulling double duty on Hyrule Warriors.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
I'm not exactly clear on this. What do Amiibos actually do?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't peeked to see if the roster is different between the Wii U and 3DS. A challenger approached and the shadow looked just like Dunban to me. And I blurted out, "Holy gently caress Dunban!?" and scared my cats.

I was just Lucina.

:(

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it feels so weird using a new gamecube controller. i'm so used to the one i have that came with my gamecube like 13 or so years ago

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

pacmania90 posted:

I'm not exactly clear on this. What do Amiibos actually do?

You level them up by playing with or against them in Smash, I'm not sure how long that's supposed to entertain you since I was just playing with mine for about an hour yesterday and he got up to level 38. Apparently at higher levels (they max out at 50) they're much tougher than a normal AI? Which seems kinda lame that I guess there's more advanced AI in this game but you can only experience it from characters that you buy a $14 figurine for.

For other games it basically gives you the equivalent of $2 dlc (a costume in Mario Kart, a weapon or small item pack in Hyrule Warriors).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

sharrrk posted:

it feels so weird using a new gamecube controller. i'm so used to the one i have that came with my gamecube like 13 or so years ago

They made it out of a rougher plastic, seems like. Better for grip, but a little disorienting

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't peeked to see if the roster is different between the Wii U and 3DS. A challenger approached and the shadow looked just like Dunban to me. And I blurted out, "Holy gently caress Dunban!?" and scared my cats.

I was just Lucina.

:(

One of the main design decisions for Smash 4 was roster parity between the two versions. That's why Ice Climbers got cut; they were working on Wii U but were chugging on the 3DS.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Not a Children posted:

They made it out of a rougher plastic, seems like. Better for grip, but a little disorienting

While it feels nice they functionally destroyed the c-stick. You can't spam tilts or aerials even though you can do the same with the A button and if its set to smash it tries to do charged smashes and also stops aerial momentum so you cant do retreating fairs or advancing bairs. People have paid $40-$50 for this and as such will probably either send hate mail or demand a refund because thats the price of a game for a controller with its main feature jacked up.

Also after testing you can use at the very least the Gamepad right stick like the good old c-stick so they have no excuse for "unfair advantage" or some bs.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

jivjov posted:

One of the main design decisions for Smash 4 was roster parity between the two versions. That's why Ice Climbers got cut; they were working on Wii U but were chugging on the 3DS.

I'm still bummed about this. I loved those cute little guys :(

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You need to have a Club Nintendo account and have it linked to the system prior to the purchases for digital titles to automatically register. If your Club Nintendo account was not registered before those purchases, you'll need to email Nintendo's customer support. I did that myself when I finally made my account and they were able to look at my 3DS system's purchases (although they asked me for a list as well) and just throw them all on my account retroactively.

zolthorg posted:

Register your club nintendo account on both systems from the button in the eshop settings
Then send an email to nintendo support indicating you want credit for the games you purchased

I only set up my club nintendo this month and I got them to credit my 3ds and everything I bought digitally for the last two years or so. As well as my new preowned wii u. That might have just been because the precious owner never used the code ( The ebay seller was supposedly a retailer who opened the box but the customer never took the product home ymmv)

Cool, thanks. :)

IAD
Jan 28, 2011

Captain Marvelous!
NNID: Krazykone

I'll be on when I can, my brother will be using my account as well and he's way better (competitively) so there's that too

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Whats the overall opinion on this Smash? A good version?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Smash 4 Is Good.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Just The Facts posted:

Smash 4 is really really good.

edit: ^yes

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

jivjov posted:

So what has everyone been nicknaming their amiibo? I've got Killager, Keeby (yellow Kirby), Durk (dark Link), and Fitoo.

AbeLinkoln, President of Hyrule

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Smash 4 does its job of making the previous entry in the series look like a broken piece of poo poo.

On a another note, I think the Duck Hunt stage has the highest concentration of amazing music in its BGM selection. Seriously, goddamn.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

jivjov posted:

I'm willing to bet they were also a problem in 8 man smash

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Just The Facts posted:

I think this game is very good however I think they put in a lot of fluff that no one will really use.

Like.. why does this game have the crappy angry birds mode with the bomb?

In short its much better than brawl but I won't say its better than melee. Others will disagree though Im sure.

As a previous poster stated, the lack of traditional classic mode is unfortunate too. I always liked beating it with all characters.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'd say it's better than Melee, but I'm not some kinda EVO pro so the more defensive play style works for me.

I also thought Adventure was grossly overrated and Events are back so to me that makes Smash 4 the winner to me.

Either way it makes Brawl look like dumb trash.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This game is GOTY because it has a manual. I didnt even play it yet.

Nintendo ID is Overbite

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Picked up Smash from Nintendo World in NYC yesterday since it's somehow the closest game store near my workplace (midtown loving sucks). Ended up being worth it for the SWAG. lovely swag but free poo poo none the less:

A belt on par with burger king hats and two pins!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How the hell do you do the 50 combo challenge?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Phone posted:

How the hell do you do the 50 combo challenge?

Training?

Pick Ness, set damage to 999% grab them and just pummel for a while.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RyokoTK posted:

I do kinda miss the classic Classic mode, where it's a mix of one-on-ones, crazy themed battles and special stages. That's classic single-player Smash to me. This one is fine, too, but I wouldn't call it Classic. It feels like a silly chaotic mess for six stages and then a stressful boss fight.

This, by the way, is why I think the 3DS Classic Mode is better. It seems the special themed battles were shunted into Master and Crazy Orders for the Wii U version (not that these modes are aren't great modes by the way), while the 3DS version keeps them for it's own Classic Mode.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Spawn 8 smart bombs on the guy.

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008
I really hate how you have to add custom mechanics every time you change the menu screen. I never really use L and R on the GamePad if I have to, so it's really frustrating when I keep grabbing instead of shielding. On the other hand, the Random Name Generator blessed me with TOOMUCHDOG.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Son of Isaac posted:

I really hate how you have to add custom mechanics every time you change the menu screen. I never really use L and R on the GamePad if I have to, so it's really frustrating when I keep grabbing instead of shielding. On the other hand, the Random Name Generator blessed me with TOOMUCHDOG.

Use this online and play as duck hunt dog exclusively.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
OK I just played it and using the game tablet is super awkward. It's uncomfortable to try and grab or shield and I wish I could use the dpad to move. Maybe I need to spend even more money on a controller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yo add me for some goon smashing. NNID: Ganondalf42.

I just sent out some invites to some of yall but got bored.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I've been been gambling on spectating matches and I've noticed something. Is there a reason that people will start mass suiciding randomly towards the middle of a match? I just watch a match turn into people just walking over and over off the edge of the map

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I've been been gambling on spectating matches and I've noticed something. Is there a reason that people will start mass suiciding randomly towards the middle of a match? I just watch a match turn into people just walking over and over off the edge of the map

I'm going to guess here, but I'd wager they are trying to unlocked a "games played" character.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

RyokoTK posted:

Either way it makes Brawl look like dumb trash.

I loved Brawl

Lucas Never Forget :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lucas was the only good thing about Brawl.

• Locked thread