Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Milovan Drecun posted:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reed was in on the Jeremy vote, he also outed Keith (which drew votes away from himself). He did a ton this episode, digging himself out of the very bottom, you just can't see it for some odd reason.

The real surprise, though, was Alec/Wes/Keith voting Reed. Presumably they found out he went through Keith's stuff. It was still an idiotic waste of votes and showed they aren't playing the game at all. What was there plan once they took out Reed? Get unceremoniously booted in order? Reed and Natalie can take control of the game, if they can get one of J/J out next ep.

Edit: Alec voted REED, a couple of posters seems to not realize this...

I was surprised by this at first, too, but I'm guessing they were worried Keith would be voted out to flush out the idol, hoped maybe there would be a split vote for Reed in the event Keith played his idol and by voting Reed, they could save the idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was surprised by this at first, too, but I'm guessing they were worried Keith would be voted out to flush out the idol, hoped maybe there would be a split vote for Reed in the event Keith played his idol and by voting Reed, they could save the idol.

I think this is exactly what happened and is the reason why Keith didn't play his idol. Still no plays!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Poque posted:

Sure, not directly, but it's pretty obvious that people like Wes, Jaclyn, or Alec are not the winners just by how they're presented (or not presented).

I agree with you about Wes or Alex, but Jaclyn? I could easily see her winning. In fact she might be right near the top of my list of potential candidates. She's been given plenty of screentime, and more importantly plenty of screentime and confessionals devoted to her talking/discussing strategy, mostly with Jon but also by herself. She just doesn't have much of a personality so it doesn't stand out and its easy to forget.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'm not happy with this outcome. :mad:

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Milovan Drecun posted:

The real surprise, though, was Alec/Wes/Keith voting Reed. Presumably they found out he went through Keith's stuff. It was still an idiotic waste of votes and showed they aren't playing the game at all. What was there plan once they took out Reed?

This may not be true at all and could be giving them more credit than they deserve, but it's possible they knew the word was out about the idol so they considered the other people may still be voting out Reed, but would split the votes with Keith to flush the idol. By them all voting Reed, it avoided a possible tie making it unnecessary to play.

At least this would make sense if they thought the other alliance was still wanting Reed out that vote.

Or they just have no clue what they're doing

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally worked up the give-a-gently caress to catch up on the last two episodes.

Holy poo poo this season is terrible. :psyduck:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
You're crazy, that ep was very entertaining and unpredictable. Broken alliances, a true blindside, 2 HIIs being outed and there's going to be a lot of scrambling from now on.

Also interesting how powerful J+J are as a couple. With the other remaining pairs, Missy is obviously the one in control; and Wes and Keith seem to rival each other almost as much as they are competing with the other people in the game. But while individually they don't appear to be good at Survivor, when one of the J's drops the strategic ball the other J is there to recover the fumble.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 21, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
This season was bland until the last two episodes and now it's just chaos.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milovan Drecun posted:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reed was in on the Jeremy vote, he also outed Keith (which drew votes away from himself). He did a ton this episode, digging himself out of the very bottom, you just can't see it for some odd reason.
Sorry, that's my bad. I worded it badly when I said "Reed didn't do anything" when what I meant to say was "nothing Reed did seemed to actually affect the Jeremy vote that saved him". The whole Jeremy blindside was orchestrated by Jon because of the idol and Missy was effectively the one with the power to either make it happen or rat out Jon to Jeremy. Reed was obviously let in at some point but if he was actually more than a vote let in at the last minute than the show didn't show us that. His whole story and scrambling was about trying to put the target on Keith and Wes as far as we saw, unless I missed something. He did scramble and work hard so he did do stuff, it just didn't seem effective or meaningful unless you give him points for a good job going through people's stuff.

My impression of Reed is that he's played a very poor social game and hasn't forged any bonds in the game at all. Has he been portrayed as being close to anyone strategically or personally besides Josh? When the tribes swapped he immediately turned on all his original tribe members to hook up with Josh's crews and a number of them commented on how they didn't have any kind of bond to lure him back. Then as soon as Josh is gone he's selling out Keith and Wes and the three Bros are voting against him so it seemed like he hadn't done any better at forming bonds with Josh's crew. Reed just seemed not to really be playing the game until last week when he was backing up Josh and this week where he was scrambling for his life. Otherwise I imagine we would have seen some talk about relationships or alliances like we got with Missy and Jon talking about their past with Jeremy. Reed just kind of seems like he coasted through into this week and then started ruffling through bags.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
We just got saved from an incredibly boring funeral march through the rest of the season. I liked Jeremy, but this was a far more interesting outcome than a traditional Pagonging.

Its sad the way Natalie and Jeremy's play of giving Jon and Jaclyn their rewards worked out. It really was a fantastic move, but that couple has been so drunk with power since they started playing together that I'm not surprised that it just got sucked into the J&J Ego Vortex and only served to reinforce their perception of their own power in the game. The irony, though, is that OF COURSE they feel like that because they've been enabled by the constant pandering since the tribeswap.

Even more ironic is the fact that one of them could feasibly win if they continue their ridiculous power trip by betraying Missy/Baylor and siding with Wes/Keith/Alec next episode. With all the idols in possession, they easily get rid of Missy/Natalie/Reed/Baylor (ideally in that order), and then make the easy pitch to Alec that there's no a way a jury chooses Jon/Jaclyn over Wes/Keith. This requires them to hemorrhage jury votes over the course of the season, but does it really matter if they're sitting next to Alec in the end?

Basically, the 5 most bullshit players could stick together to ensure a similarly bullshit final 2 or 3, with the likely outcome of Jaclyn, the least bullshit player of the 5, winning the season.

Despite that bleak distinct possibility, this season now has the potential to go anywhere, which is fantastic.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
The vote turned out:

wes alec keith -- reed
reed missy baylor jon jaclyn -- jeremy
jeremy natalie -- keith

What seems to have happened is that Missy/Baylor/Jon/Jaclyn told Reed to vote Jeremy and he'd be safe. Then they told Wes/Alec/Keith they were voting Reed.

The editors usually go out of their way to make a hamhanded dramatic "is it A or B?" tribal, here they had an actual interesting tribal scenario fall into their laps and totally flubbed any buildup. What *seems* to have happened (from the vote) was hardly hinted at, just Jon saying he wanted Jeremy out. That combined with how the middle five appear to have manipulated the vote would have been much more interesting than what they actually showed. Somebody tell me what I'm getting wrong here.

Now if Wes/Alec/Keith had any sense they'd go straight to Reed and Natalie and try to pull them back, but they've probably already been outsmarted because Reed knows they voted for him.

Natalie looks pretty hosed unless she can bump Reed for the fifth wheel spot.

The middle five, if they have any sense, will take out Alec and Natalie, then blindside Jon at 7 or 6. Presumably Keith wastes his idol one of those three times. Then you have a Reed/Missy/Baylor final 3. *sad trombone noise*

Poque posted:

Feels like a fantastic move by Reed. Honestly, he probably SHOULD go with the Missy/Baylor/Jon/Jaclyn group, because once it gets down to five, all he has to do is side with one of the couples and he has a free path to final 3. Make it Missy and Baylor and he's got the game won.

get out of my head

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

paperchaseguy posted:

The middle five, if they have any sense, will take out Alec and Natalie, then blindside Jon at 7 or 6. Presumably Keith wastes his idol one of those three times. Then you have a Reed/Missy/Baylor final 3. *sad trombone noise*

Why get rid of Alec? He's the goatiest goat who ever goated.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Of course with the way they change the plot from episode to episode, next one will probably start out "Previously... on Survivor: Reed was manipulating his way to the top of the biggest alliance!"

eta:

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Why get rid of Alec? He's the goatiest goat who ever goated.

True, it could be Wes instead.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The sad thing is that Jeremy was essentially thwarted by the incredible pointlessness of Jon flipping on someone again. My favorite part of Survivor is the supposed "masterminds" forgetting to remember that people are emotional beings, but this leaves a gaping hole of charisma in this season.

Last year I rooted against Tony hard and often, and I remember Kass inexplicably flipping and ruining the other side's chances. It was still hilarious and entertaining in a way this season almost never is.

Also, I don't get the Baylor hate. She's saddled with Missy, both in the game and in life. That's gotta take a toll.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think that was a bad move, but man the last two episodes have taken the only people who were really entertaining me this year. Oh well.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Well that was a really interesting outcome ruined by really bland editing. It's like the editors wanted to hide the blindside by not telegraphing it at all, when it could have been far more dramatic and tense.

Anyway, getting rid of Jeremy has made the rest of the game far more interesting. I wasn't really digging the Jon Jaclyn power couple at the start, but if they keep backstabbing their way to the finals it'll be one of the more interesting approaches that we've seen in a long time.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
J & J have always been gunning for Jeremy, but last week they decided they had a chance to get rid of Josh, so they did that first. How soon we forget that they were ready to pull the trigger on him two weeks ago and he was only saved by a player quitting. I really love what they've done this season. They have managed to decapitate the two big alliances post-merge all while being able to say, "We were never really part of your alliance, so it's not a backstab." I mean, Josh and Jeremy might still be hating on Baylor/Missy for these votes since both have reasons to think that they were betrayed by THAT couple and not J & J.

Edit: Holy poo poo, there are a lot of J's this season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Zebra posted:

J & J have always been gunning for Jeremy, but last week they decided they had a chance to get rid of Josh, so they did that first. How soon we forget that they were ready to pull the trigger on him two weeks ago and he was only saved by a player quitting. I really love what they've done this season. They have managed to decapitate the two big alliances post-merge all while being able to say, "We were never really part of your alliance, so it's not a backstab." I mean, Josh and Jeremy might still be hating on Baylor/Missy for these votes since both have reasons to think that they were betrayed by THAT couple and not J & J.

Edit: Holy poo poo, there are a lot of J's this season.

Exactly! Jon's wanted to eliminate Jeremy for a long time and saw him as Jon's biggest physical threat. Jeremy is a fan and knows how to watch Survivor but misplayed accusing Jon with having the HII. And he should have known - don't give away a reward, that move usually ends up badly with the donor being voted out for obviously 'playing too hard'.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 21, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's no way Jon and Jaclyn can sell "it wasn't a backstab since we weren't in your alliance" after the hard sell Natalie and Jeremy gave this episode and the way Jon and Jaclyn publicly ate it up. I mean, Jaclyn twice gave a speech about how respected and welcomed she felt with them and how that was important. They played Josh and his crew hard last week but this week they did it twice as hard to Jeremy and Natalie. And IMO its WAY too early in the game to be playing that way.

If Jon and Jaclyn make it to the end and can win without a goat like Alec then kudos to them but they're going to have to pull off a few more tricks and they're going to need that goat. They're just burning way too many people way too early. They're basically Kass.

I don't really agree with the complaints about the editing. They made it clear to us that Jon and Jeremy were dancing around each other and that Jon went to Missy about taking him out ASAP. I'm not sure what else they could have shown us without giving it away. If we saw Missy agree or go to Reed then there would have been no drama in the Tribal Council and the entire Reed/Keith red herring would have felt incredibly stupid and pointless. And it genuinely seems like Jeremy didn't see this coming at all and Missy, Jon, Baylor, Reed, and Jaclyn didn't give any clues so there really didn't seem to be material for them to play up this angle. But it wasn't out of left field. Not only did Jon and MIssy discuss it this episode but Jon nearly backstabbed Jeremy the last two weeks.

TLDR; They shouldn't have to foreshadow Missy (and Baylor) and Jon (and Jaclyn) betraying someone. The whole season has been building that.

The RHAP Jeremy interview is fun in the usual Jeremy way. A little bitchy and whiney but insightful and funny (if you like his humor). If you hate Jeremy like sportsgenius does you'll probably hate the interview too.

He said he wasn't going to make a move against Jon for a couple of Tribals at least and he was actually going to gun for Jaclyn because he didn't want to be the only big guy left. Says Keith was his #1 target and maybe Reed after.

Sounds like his F5 was Jon, Missy, Baylor, and Natalie. He says Nat was his "#1" but he knew he'd split votes with her so he'd have to cut her before F3. It sounds like Jon would have gotten the cut in his ideal scenario too since he didn't like the idea of having someone in the F3 with a loved one in jury to campaign. So Missy/Baylor sound like his goats.

He admitted that he played too hard and fast and overthought stuff. He says he knews the history of giving away rewards but he thought it can work but Jon was just too set against him. Says "if it was Nat/Jeremy and Jaclyn/Whoever" it would have worked or "Nat/Val and Jon/Jaclyn" it would have worked but the Jon/Jeremy mix was the problem. Also says he knew Jon/Jaclyn were a problem since they'd argue with each other and he figured they had to be arguing about the game which meant they were waffling. He just didn't see the move against him coming because he couldn't see the logic of it then.

He made a typically Jeremy swipe at Missy saying "she makes bad decisions with men and Jon is another one." Also did his bitchy thing about Keith more or less calling him an idiot for stuff like trying to turn Jeremy's own alliance against him.

He shined a little light on Reed's game, which I find interesting. He claims Reed played too hard at the beginning and was sketching everyone out so he took a step back and stopped talking any game. Then Jeremy went to him at the merge and Reed stonewalled him. Then Jeremy went back after Josh went and pitched the "singles have to stick together" angle but Reed obviously didn't bite. I've been trying to figure out Reed's game all season so the early tidbit makes a lot of sense to me.

I'll miss Jeremy. Not a great player or character but one that entertained me and probably the smartest player this season.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 21, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The RHAP app is available now and includes a small soundboard with Tony llama sounds and the Alec "I'm a meat collector" clips.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Did Jeremy mention anything in regards to Rocker and his wife?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

Rocker wasn't brought up at all and Rob glossed over Julie briefly.
Jeremy basically said that Julie's quit saved his hide that week.
That was about it with Team Rocker talk.

Come to think of it, they didn't talk about Jeremy's wife's early exit at all.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, I don't get the Baylor hate. She's saddled with Missy, both in the game and in life. That's gotta take a toll.

I feel the same way about this haha

Don't know why anyone wouldn't love the complete lack of build-up on the vote at tribal, especially when all the Reed/Keith votes were read first. I wish they'd give us blindsides like this more often. They can just explain how it all unfolded at the beginning of the next episode.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 22, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DurosKlav posted:

He did mention Rocker in an older interview with EW (a pre-boot interview he did, kind of strange)

The headline basically says it all here: Jeremy from 'Survivor' feels bad for what he did to John Rocker

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Milovan Drecun posted:

The real surprise, though, was Alec/Wes/Keith voting Reed. Presumably they found out he went through Keith's stuff. It was still an idiotic waste of votes and showed they aren't playing the game at all. What was there plan once they took out Reed?

If the other alliance does a vote split between Reed and Keith to flush out the idol, it fucks it up and lets Keith keep going without playing the idol and Reed betrayed them anyway so it's not like they're losing a vote there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Robnoxious posted:

Rocker wasn't brought up at all and Rob glossed over Julie briefly.
Jeremy basically said that Julie's quit saved his hide that week.
That was about it with Team Rocker talk.

Come to think of it, they didn't talk about Jeremy's wife's early exit at all.

Rob (not you) only gets about 20 minutes with each boot so they likely skipped that topic because of time.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I'll miss Jeremy. Not a great player or character but one that entertained me and probably the smartest player this season.

3 weeks ago the show or edit was highlighting an epic Josh vs Jeremy conflict of competing alliance masterminds, as if the one who survived would be on the path to victory. Now they're both gone and it's hard to predict who has played well enough to get the jury votes for a win.

If Missy makes it to the end I'd say she's getting an edit similar to Kim Spradlin in that we're not seeing a lot of confessionals or huge moves, but she keeps her allies close until it becomes necessary to get rid of them so she can keep going. People come to her to make deals or share information. And the Missy/Keith conflict is similar to Kim/Troyzan continually butting heads.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

If Missy makes it to the end I'd say she's getting an edit similar to Kim Spradlin in that we're not seeing a lot of confessionals or huge moves, but she keeps her allies close until it becomes necessary to get rid of them so she can keep going. People come to her to make deals or share information. And the Missy/Keith conflict is similar to Kim/Troyzan continually butting heads.

Correct me if I'm wrong - One World is like a hazy bad dream now... But didn't Kim Spradlin get an edit that pretty much portrayed her as a mastermind just pushing her pawns around each week. I seem to remember her getting lots of gamebot confessionals explaining GAME REASONS for everything she did and it seemed pretty clear from about episode three that she was going to win.

So pretty much the opposite of Missy then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's my hazy memory too. I never questioned Kim's game acumen. I knew she was in control. The only shocking thing about that season was that the people on the island didn't do something about it. My memory of One World is that every week someone was being marched to their deaths by Kim while everyone else said "Well, better him than me." It was bizarre.

And kind of the opposite of what's happening here where they're taking out every major threat ASAP. Based on the pattern Jon should be sweating since he's set himself up as the next biggest player after Jeremy and Josh.

Missy's played a solid game and done a few things well, but she's no mastermind. She's been much smarter about the pair of votes she controls than Jon has been since he's been flaunting them and drunk on the power while Missy has mostly kept her mouth shut and gotten way less blood on her hands as a result. And she has that cold willingness to cut someone without any guilt that so many successful Survivor players need. But she's played a pretty poor social game and I'm not sure she can win unless she has Baylor and Alec with her at the end. And she hasn't really controlled anything that we've seen. She just reacts well and Baylor gives her a powerful pair of votes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 22, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am 100% convinced that Missy threw the reward challenge so Baylor could have it.

There is nobody I am rooting for this year since they're all so terrible at the game (from what we see at least).

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I had a moment last episode when I realized I didn't like this season. It was when I got up to wash dishes during the episode and didn't care if I missed tribal council.
At this point it's only interesting as a race to the bottom.

Full disclaimer. I will watch any survivor. Good or bad.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I was talking with a friend and forgot - which season was it where Jeff mentioned that there was a player too stupid to play the game of Survivor? Did we ever find out who that was?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Boxman posted:

I was talking with a friend and forgot - which season was it where Jeff mentioned that there was a player too stupid to play the game of Survivor? Did we ever find out who that was?

One World. He mentioned it in his interview on RHAP.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Was that Leif? He was never a contender and played like he was at summer camp.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's my hazy memory too. I never questioned Kim's game acumen. I knew she was in control. The only shocking thing about that season was that the people on the island didn't do something about it. My memory of One World is that every week someone was being marched to their deaths by Kim while everyone else said "Well, better him than me." It was bizarre.

And kind of the opposite of what's happening here where they're taking out every major threat ASAP. Based on the pattern Jon should be sweating since he's set himself up as the next biggest player after Jeremy and Josh.

Missy's played a solid game and done a few things well, but she's no mastermind. She's been much smarter about the pair of votes she controls than Jon has been since he's been flaunting them and drunk on the power while Missy has mostly kept her mouth shut and gotten way less blood on her hands as a result. And she has that cold willingness to cut someone without any guilt that so many successful Survivor players need. But she's played a pretty poor social game and I'm not sure she can win unless she has Baylor and Alec with her at the end. And she hasn't really controlled anything that we've seen. She just reacts well and Baylor gives her a powerful pair of votes.
I could be wrong but the way I remember it,Kim's march to victory was only apparent in the last 1/4 or so of the season, before that she wasn't really a standout, maybe because the men's team self-destruction was more entertaining. It was around the time Troyzan realized he was going to be voted out and he started telling everyone that if they didn't get rid of Kim she'd win.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 22, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Leif slept in a box, he was the best part of One World.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Binary Logic posted:

Was that Leif? He was never a contender and played like he was at summer camp.

He didn't specify. There was a lot of speculation that it was either Leif or Christina. I thought Christina was a stretch but a lot of goons were convinced it had to be her.

The way Probst worded it was something along the lines of they'll always cast people with super high IQs cause they tend to flame out in spectacular ways. They're trying to avoid people with super low ones though as one contestant had a hard time even comprehending the basic rules of the game and it made a mess of the season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Christina Cha?! Don't get me started LOL she's one of the 20 women in the running for Hottest Survivor Ever.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/watch-magazine-vote/hottest-female-castaway/
She's good looking but they left out Andrea Boehlke so the whole contest is, as Russell would say, flawed.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

It had to be Lief. I don't remember anything specific, but he was dumb as hell. It almost makes me want to watch that season again just for him and Tarzan.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

It almost makes me want to watch that season again just for him and Tarzan.

The Worst Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Oh so now we're gonna pretend like Tarzan stewing his poo pants wasn't high quality entertainment?

• Locked thread