Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm having a bizarre issue with mechjeb/FAR. My rocket consists of fairings protecting a satellite on top of a BACC solid rocket booster with winglets and advanced SAS. If I use mechjeb to ascend, even if I limit the angle of attack to 10° and have the turn start happen at 600 meters with a 55° turn shape, the rocket will oscilate wildly and mechjeb will overshoot my preprogrammed apoapsis by about 50 km. Since I can manually easily keep the rocket under control, it has to be a setting I've missed or should use differently. Anyone know what I should change?

I should note that on manual control, even with SAS on it will "vibrate" back and forth a little but it's nothing too bad and I can easily correct for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Falken posted:

Already got that. Was just curious if there was a pack that mainly dealt with satelite specific parts. Thanks though!
BoxSat

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Falken posted:

What's a good pack for satelite parts?

AIES Aerospace has some excellent parts, and TurboNisu's Stockalike Parts have some really neat small trusses and fuel tanks. Between that, and DMagic, I've been pretty happy with the satellites I can build. The caveat is that AIES hasn't been formally updated since .23, and some of its parts (particularly the landing gear) use scripting that is broken.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

double nine posted:

I'm having a bizarre issue with mechjeb/FAR. My rocket consists of fairings protecting a satellite on top of a BACC solid rocket booster with winglets and advanced SAS. If I use mechjeb to ascend, even if I limit the angle of attack to 10° and have the turn start happen at 600 meters with a 55° turn shape, the rocket will oscilate wildly and mechjeb will overshoot my preprogrammed apoapsis by about 50 km. Since I can manually easily keep the rocket under control, it has to be a setting I've missed or should use differently. Anyone know what I should change?

I should note that on manual control, even with SAS on it will "vibrate" back and forth a little but it's nothing too bad and I can easily correct for it.

Too much control authority usually leads to SAS oscillating your ship. Post a screenshot of the rocket and let's see if we can improve it. Try reducing the maximum deflection on the winglets, or moving them to have less of a torque arm. You probably don't need the extra SAS wheel.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

double nine posted:

I've had bad experiences with MechJeb overcorrecting for wobble in FAR, leading to continual oscillations. It might help to reduce the max deflection on your control surfaces and/or enable DCA in FAR to reduce MechJeb's ability to torque your craft like crazy.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Supraluminal posted:

I've had bad experiences with MechJeb overcorrecting for wobble in FAR, leading to continual oscillations. It might help to reduce the max deflection on your control surfaces and/or enable DCA in FAR to reduce MechJeb's ability to torque your craft like crazy.

I believe MechJeb in general doesn't do very well at oscillation damping. I haven't tried it with FAR, but it'll definitely swing you back and forth, since it doesn't (or at least didn't, last I tried?) reduce control inputs as you get towards the designated heading. It's basically going 'Full bore...full bore...full bore...too far, go back!' Having auto-warp makes this less of a problem, since warping once you have the right heading stops you dead. Doesn't help in an atmosphere, clearly.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Platonicsolid posted:

I believe MechJeb in general doesn't do very well at oscillation damping. I haven't tried it with FAR, but it'll definitely swing you back and forth, since it doesn't (or at least didn't, last I tried?) reduce control inputs as you get towards the designated heading. It's basically going 'Full bore...full bore...full bore...too far, go back!' Having auto-warp makes this less of a problem, since warping once you have the right heading stops you dead. Doesn't help in an atmosphere, clearly.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60933-Optional-MechJeb-Modules-for-FAR-NEAR-km_Gimbal-%28Sept-7%29

try these modules for mechjeb

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Now that is super interesting. Cool, thanks!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

EightBit posted:

Too much control authority usually leads to SAS oscillating your ship. Post a screenshot of the rocket and let's see if we can improve it. Try reducing the maximum deflection on the winglets, or moving them to have less of a torque arm. You probably don't need the extra SAS wheel.

Sure, here.

I'll take a look at those.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EightBit posted:

I just use the winglets strictly as wings and turn off the control authority altogether. This usually works fine since your engine gimbal can deal with initiating the gravity turn.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

double nine posted:

Sure, here.

I'd ditch the fins altogether. The SAS is more than enough for that light weight of a vehicle. You could also switch to the smaller SAS and put it inside the fairing. Keeping a low AOA means you don't need all that much control authority.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Also, is there any online calculators for KSP that calculate the dV for plane changes? I need to flip a satellite through a 90 degree angle in its orbit.

If I remember right from my Orbital mechanics, the dV needed for a plane change is 2*V*cos(inc1-inc2)

Where V is your current Orbital velocity, inc1 and inc2 are your starting and final inclinations. So assuming a LKO of 100km which is an Orbital speed of 2.2km/s, and a 90 degree change, you'd need 4,400 dV. :jeb:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So that ship that ran out of life support that I was complaining about? Turns out it did have a probe core on it after all, so I was able to reenter smoothly by relying heavily on aerobraking to make up for the fuel wasted in my emergency return burn. Except the incredibly shallow aerobraking took so drat long I alt-tabbed away and forgot about it till it crashed. :psyduck: On the other hand, I followed that up by placing a life support resupply ship in LKO.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Life Support really fucks with the logistics of a manned mission beyond Mun because you have to carry so much extra mass.

Just the thought of all that docking makes me glad MechJeb exists.

Currently about to attempt a rescue of a Kerbal on EVA. I don't have the 3 seat pod yet so going with an unmanned 1 seater armed with MechJeb

Also going to use the flight to fulfill a parachute test contract.

On a related note, currently my space program is running a 50% fatality rate, Jeb, Bill and Bob are all dead. (Jeb on my first flight, forgot to separate the Engine start from the parachute deployment in staging before lighting the SRB off)

EDIT AAAAAAnd the game does a CTD with no error log when I go to board the little guy.

EDIT2:

rmdx posted:

On Windows, at least, edit your shortcut like this:

code:
KSP.exe -popupwindow
... and set your window size to match your display (or not).

Thanks for this, now I just need it to be on top of everything (including the taskbar) when in focus and I am all set.

EDIT3: Mission was a resounding success. Until I landed on the side of a mountain. And proceeded to explode all down the slope. RIP Patden Kerman. RIP Career (ran out of money).

EDIT4: starting a new career with a custom difficulty.

And the modlist:

Deadly Reentry, Enhanced Navball, FAR, Kerbal Egineer, Advanced Fly-by-wire (makes Joystick controls a lot smoother and easier), MechJeb, RCSFX, Procedural Fairings, Procedural Parts, Stock Bug Fix Modules, and TAC Life Support.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 22, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Are there any mods that add more lights? I downloaded a pack called Surface Lights and it's decent, but it doesn't add enough. I used to have the colored B9 lights and liked them a lot, but the new B9 pack is a mess that I want nothing to do with.

I just want lights. Lots of lights of all sizes and colors. I want my space stations to be floating disco balls.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"
Aviation lights is good

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is it possible to use action groups with sub-assemblies? I want a mothership filled with probes, and the probes to have their own action groups. I've done experimenting and have mostly just discovered interesting bugs, like control-y making a probe core increasingly bright.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cubey posted:

Are there any mods that add more lights? I downloaded a pack called Surface Lights and it's decent, but it doesn't add enough. I used to have the colored B9 lights and liked them a lot, but the new B9 pack is a mess that I want nothing to do with.

I just want lights. Lots of lights of all sizes and colors. I want my space stations to be floating disco balls.

There's a few. I've tried and liked Navigation Lights and Stack Inline Lights, the latter is basically neon tubes of customizable color and brightness wrapped around your rocket. So awesome.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

And on my new career I managed to keep Jeb alive until I landed him on Mun.

At 150m/s.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cubey posted:

I used to have the colored B9 lights and liked them a lot, but the new B9 pack is a mess that I want nothing to do with.
You could grab just the lights from B9 and skip installing anything else.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

And on my new career I managed to keep Jeb alive until I landed him on Mun.

At 150m/s.

In my game, I used Jeb almost exclusively as a test pilot for experimental craft. He died when his plane entered an uncontrollable stall over some mountains and the ejection system failed to properly clear him from the craft, leading to him striking the tail and not being able to deploy his parachute in time. Bob and Bill are safely aboard a space station orbiting Kerbin and are performing station science experiments.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I might have exaggerated juuuuuuust a little with my remotetech network...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nice spirograph though.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

double nine posted:

I might have exaggerated juuuuuuust a little with my remotetech network...

Jesus christ :stare:

How long did that loving take you?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Jesus christ :stare:

How long did that loving take you?

about 7 minutes per satellite (x12), mechjeb/alarm clock did most of the work for me. 4-ish minutes to get apoapsis high enough, then setup a manoevre node, time warp, launch the next rocket and get it out of the atmosphere before the first rocket reaches its apoapsis, setup manoevre node, switch to first rocket to execute manoevre node, launch new rocket, setup maneuvre node, go to second rocket ...

I had about 20 minutes of timewarp followed by about 10 minutes where everything had to be executed in very quick succession.

edit: that was why I was asking about my mechjeb problem: without the automation I'd go absolutely bonkers. Also the orbits wouldn't be in sync as much and that would ruin the goal.

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 22, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If you aren't already using CKAN you probably should be, it's the mod manager for KSP I always wanted.

- uses specfiles, and thus supports any mod with a direct download, not just mods hosted on github/curse/kerbalstuff
- fast
- doesn't crash so far
- dependency resolution
- command line support
- easy to add new specfiles or even host your own CKAN repo

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
A very minimalist deltaV Jool 5 challenge entry over in the forums with: 22 flybys, 1 of Mun, 1 of Eve, 2 of Kerbin, 4 of Laythe, 4 of Vall, 6 of Tylo, 2 of Bop and 2 of Pol.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com...l=1#post1554632

What people can do with this game amazes me.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Cubey posted:

For you or anyone else who doesn't know, you can also right click to change the color and brightness of stock lights in the VAB.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

immelman posted:

A very minimalist deltaV Jool 5 challenge entry over in the forums with: 22 flybys, 1 of Mun, 1 of Eve, 2 of Kerbin, 4 of Laythe, 4 of Vall, 6 of Tylo, 2 of Bop and 2 of Pol.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com...l=1#post1554632

What people can do with this game amazes me.

Good lord. That's amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ToxicFrog posted:

If you aren't already using CKAN you probably should be, it's the mod manager for KSP I always wanted.

- uses specfiles, and thus supports any mod with a direct download, not just mods hosted on github/curse/kerbalstuff
- fast
- doesn't crash so far
- dependency resolution
- command line support

Praise jesus for this. Need to figure out how to add Station Science to it, got just about every mod I give a poo poo about through CKAN except that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've been trying to plan a manned Duna mission using the new advanced Mechjeb transfer planner. What is the best way to transfer if I want to minimize the difference in velocity when I arrive? I want to minimize the speed I have to kill by aerobraking.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I was playing around with a Duna probe using remote tech and was setting up a maneuver to aero break around duna and sling shot into an Ike encounter. Anyways before hitting atmosphere I realized my satellite dish will break. Is there anyway to tell it to collapse down for the aero breaking and then reconnect to my network an hour later?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Praise jesus for this. Need to figure out how to add Station Science to it, got just about every mod I give a poo poo about through CKAN except that.

The specifications for the CKAN specfile format are in the repo, but as it happens I've already written one for StationScience, I just haven't submitted a PR for it yet:

code:
{
  "spec_version": 1,
  "name": "Station Science",
  "identifier": "StationScience",
  "author": "ethernet",
  "abstract": "Long-term orbital science experiments.",
  "license": "GPL-3.0",
  "release_status": "stable",
  "ksp_version": "0.25",
  "resources": {
    "homepage": "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54774",
  },
  "install": [
    {
      "file": "StationScience",
      "install_to": "GameData"
    }
  ],
  "version": "1.3.1",
  "download": "http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220216-station-science-v-0-4/files/2216263/download",
}
Save this as "StationScience-1.3.1.ckan" and then "ckan.exe install -c StationScience-1.3.1.ckan" to install directly from the specfile rather than from the repo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

The specifications for the CKAN specfile format are in the repo, but as it happens I've already written one for StationScience, I just haven't submitted a PR for it yet:

code:
{
  "spec_version": 1,
  "name": "Station Science",
  "identifier": "StationScience",
  "author": "ethernet",
  "abstract": "Long-term orbital science experiments.",
  "license": "GPL-3.0",
  "release_status": "stable",
  "ksp_version": "0.25",
  "resources": {
    "homepage": "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54774",
  },
  "install": [
    {
      "file": "StationScience",
      "install_to": "GameData"
    }
  ],
  "version": "1.3.1",
  "download": "http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220216-station-science-v-0-4/files/2216263/download",
}
Save this as "StationScience-1.3.1.ckan" and then "ckan.exe install -c StationScience-1.3.1.ckan" to install directly from the specfile rather than from the repo.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. :D

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

- fast
- doesn't crash so far
- dependency resolution
- command line support
Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to it being able to auto upgrade mods, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to it being able to auto upgrade mods, too.

Yeah, that will be a big win. They even have a tool, NetKAN, that automatically generates updated specfiles for mods hosted on github and suchlike, so updates to those should happen quite promptly. Stuff on curse or home grown hosting will probably lag a bit because that requires a maintainer to notice that they've updated and update the specfile.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is Reputation used for anything besides a pseudocurrency for getting more Kerbucks/science?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

lamentable dustman posted:

I was playing around with a Duna probe using remote tech and was setting up a maneuver to aero break around duna and sling shot into an Ike encounter. Anyways before hitting atmosphere I realized my satellite dish will break. Is there anyway to tell it to collapse down for the aero breaking and then reconnect to my network an hour later?

You can add a delay to the commands at the bottom of the flight computer window. Set it to 1h or something, send activate or toggle with an action group, set it back to 0, send deactivate.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I started playing again with the intention of setting up a Karbonite facility on Gilly with the eventual goal of using it to refuel a ship and make a return trip to and from the surface of Eve for my first time ever. Instead, now that I've gotten some stuff on Gilly and threw some Kerbals on it, I can't stop screwing around on Gilly :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Screwing around on gilly...

Next we need a kerbal mating & repopulation mod.

• Locked thread