Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Sedan-2004-2007

So these? I'll have to see if I can find them in Australia and measure my car to actually figure out how much I can lower it to meet our laws (>=100mm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Saucy I've been looking at doing my struts/spring as well and from what I've found on here and other places MCA reds for 2k AUD are the best thing going.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't particularly want to spend that much, I'm not going to the track or anything.

E: You're the Brisbane guy right? I do go on runs through Beechmont/Springbrook though not regularly, I live near Capalaba, it's an hour+ drive just to get there. Also cops are there because theres a group of people in Silvias who skid through there every nigh

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 22, 2014

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I don't particularly want to spend that much, I'm not going to the track or anything.

E: You're the Brisbane guy right? I do go on runs through Beechmont/Springbrook though not regularly, I live near Capalaba, it's an hour+ drive just to get there. Also cops are there because theres a group of people in Silvias who skid through there every night

Yeah I moved up here at the start of the year. I'll been keen to do some driving next year once my new job starts and I have some money to pour into the car.

Shame about the kids in Silvias, but I guess they are going to do it somewhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The konis have nothing to do with your ride height, they are just a damper replacement, and actually use the stock struts. You drill a hole in the bottom of your shock, drain the oil,, cut off the top, pull the damper out, and then slide the koni in and bolt it down through the hole in the bottom.

Didn't realize you were in australia though. There might be a place that keeps those around, or there might be another option I don't know about or wouldn't consider because it's not readily available here. Shouldn't be hard to find a decent set of struts there though and MCA would be a good place to ask first.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

The konis have nothing to do with your ride height, they are just a damper replacement, and actually use the stock struts. You drill a hole in the bottom of your shock, drain the oil,, cut off the top, pull the damper out, and then slide the koni in and bolt it down through the hole in the bottom.

Didn't realize you were in australia though. There might be a place that keeps those around, or there might be another option I don't know about or wouldn't consider because it's not readily available here. Shouldn't be hard to find a decent set of struts there though and MCA would be a good place to ask first.

The springs say they lower the car 30mm, which I wouldnt mind doing. The mechanic in Capalaba I mentioned races a hillclimb 2 door sti on stock shocks and king springs and wins pretty much everything on them, I talked to him about it and really I don't think I need coilovers for how I drive. I don't track it and while I do do mountain runs, I'm nowhere near the point where spending a tonne on coilovers would make me faster, and even then then, I'm not there racing people, I'm there enjoying hard drive.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Saga posted:

Get the BRZ and a set of cheap tire rack winter wheels/tyres for if and when it snows.

e: and see how far down Kelly Drive you can get in full drift mode.

Lincoln Drive is where it's at for white-knuckled terror due to people failing to understand "lanes."

Two people blasted through the same intersection I was at this morning (the three-way-stop on Allen Lane near the High Point). The second one came within two feet of making me an ex-Impreza Wagon owner.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hey I am not an AI regular, but does this look ok?

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/ctd/4768558035.html

Brought it to a mechanic to have inspected before buying of course. But the price is decent (as far as I can tell) and overall it's in great shape.

edit: never mind, head gaskets leaking and CV joints shot, nooope

The Rat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 22, 2014

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are Subarus really as picky about their coolant as nasioc says? And does that conditioning stuff actually matter? It sounds kind of like BMW $200 oil change BS.

No, I happily run the pre-mixed prestone (blue cap) rather than OEM coolant.

Yes, I always run that "conditioning stuff" from either the dealer or SGP. It's actually Radweld with a Subaru sticker over top. It's there to mitigate/remove headgasket issues.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

GrantC posted:

No, I happily run the pre-mixed prestone (blue cap) rather than OEM coolant.

Yes, I always run that "conditioning stuff" from either the dealer or SGP. It's actually Radweld with a Subaru sticker over top. It's there to mitigate/remove headgasket issues.

FYI, it's available on Amazon with Prime shipping too, $7.25. Usually it's not too expensive from SGP but shipping makes it pricey.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I've replaced the headgaskets with MLS ones, so I should be able to just run whatever coolant I want and don't need to worry about the conditioner, right?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

door Door door posted:

I've replaced the headgaskets with MLS ones, so I should be able to just run whatever coolant I want and don't need to worry about the conditioner, right?

Yes.

I run coolant. It is green. I think the coolant additives are band aids and if your poo poo leaks just do the headgaskets.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
What's the over/under on replacement cost for one CV boot? Was changing the oil and found grease, so investigated further and found the cv boot neatly split on the passenger side. :smith:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Simkin posted:

What's the over/under on replacement cost for one CV boot? Was changing the oil and found grease, so investigated further and found the cv boot neatly split on the passenger side. :smith:

60 + labor for a whole axle off rock auto vs just doing the boot.

It's pretty easy to DIY either a boot or axle swap.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Slow is Fast posted:

Yes.

I run coolant. It is green. I think the coolant additives are band aids and if your poo poo leaks just do the headgaskets.

Cool, thanks.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Slow is Fast posted:

60 + labor for a whole axle off rock auto vs just doing the boot.

It's pretty easy to DIY either a boot or axle swap.

I replaced one failing axle (torn boot, found out when one joint started binding on the freeway - fun times!) with an MWE axle, and replaced another axle as soon as I found the torn boot with another MWE. But since then I've been changing boots and not axles on other Subarus in the fleet. If the boot still has grease in it and the joint looks good, clean it up and put a new boot on it. The cheaper rebuild axles are TERRIBLE. Much better off with a boot kit on an OEM axle.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

jailbait#3 posted:

I replaced one failing axle (torn boot, found out when one joint started binding on the freeway - fun times!) with an MWE axle, and replaced another axle as soon as I found the torn boot with another MWE. But since then I've been changing boots and not axles on other Subarus in the fleet. If the boot still has grease in it and the joint looks good, clean it up and put a new boot on it. The cheaper rebuild axles are TERRIBLE. Much better off with a boot kit on an OEM axle.

Agree with this after doing both. If/when a rebuild fails I have the oem on on hand to swap back in. The boot repair is not hard at all.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

door Door door posted:

Subaru FSM specs the coolant conditioner for both the N/A & Turbo cars (which come stock with MLS headgaskets).

Make your own decision based on that, since it looks (to me) like you were just waiting for someone to tell you it's okay to skip it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think the conditioner is dumb and pointless. It is just stopleak and there's no reason for it in a properly functioning cooling system. IMO, they put that stuff out to delay and avoid owning up to the lovely headgaskets that were in a lot of cars. If you had old headgaskets with a lot of miles I guess it wouldn't hurt but with the MLS ones don't bother.

My recommendation is to use the OEM coolant, or whatever, and change it every couple of years. Personally I have some random green stuff mixed 60/40 for winter, and was too lazy to add more water for the summer (ideal for really cold is about 65% coolant, ideal for really hot is mostly water).

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Simkin posted:

Unless im an idiot and missed it, some cv outers are not rebuildable., so you may need the inner as well if your doing the outer as its almost a sure bet it will tear when your removing it. My 05 sti is a prime example. And hindsight being what it is, may as well replace the axle, as they are cheap if you dont need them next day, and the axle will wait and emploide when its most inconvenient. (Like a week before a track day while autoxing)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It appears we somehow managed to pick up a JUN 2.2 stroker kit which we are about to add a 60tho overbore to.

This might be a fun little engine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

It appears we somehow managed to pick up a JUN 2.2 stroker kit which we are about to add a 60tho overbore to.

This might be a fun little engine.

I am pretty excited about anything that has a 2.2L displacement, not gonna lie.

Don't you guys get a 2.5L OEM engine anyway?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeeeep. But then again why waste the opportunity to stick a big bang EJ20 in say a 1999 Forester?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh, I'm not speaking ill of your choice. As far as I'm concerned you want to do whatever it takes to get the angriest snarliest tractor motor you can.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We used to 2.2 strokers pretty often for guys who needed their 2.0 rebuilt and wanted something a little extra, especially when the bearings were trashed and the crank and rods probably needed replacement anyway. Just needs a 2.5 crank plus pistons with the wrist pin 2mm higher (lot of piston mfgs carry them). They all turned out really well and you definitely notice the difference driving one vs a 2.0 wrx.

The other interesting displacement option is the destroked long rod engine. So a 2.5 with a 2.0 crank, and you can add 4mm to the rod length which makes an appreciable change in piston acceleration. The idea is to rev to 9-10k. Buuuut, then everything else has to spin that fast so it might be more trouble than it's worth. I think more displacement is the better way to go in most cases.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The full story -

KB blew the motor up on the WRC STI (Looks like oil pump failed) and thence is now building a very full house PWRC replacement. He got hold of a seriously cheap bottom end of the correct vintage (200 bucks) that was from a car that was wrecked in the Japan Tsunami a few years ago. Added bonus - it came from a town called Fukushima so no one wanted it. Once the mud and gunk was washed out (and our geiger counter confirmed there was no chance of Godzilla) it turned out to have been a really good buy, the engine was up to the point it got waterlogged in great condition and it cleaned out perfectly. So KB was happy to get the motor reassembled which he and father Vogon was starting on.... until they saw "JUN" stamped on the crank.

At which point further investigation revealed a bunch more JUN stuff and much cursing as it's not PWRC legal.

But also grins in the realization it is either worth a fair bit to someone else who wants a stroker kit or a good motor to stick in one of the other Subarus we have.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's not a bad idea to dis-assmeble and de-burr oil pump parts. There's something about newer ones where I've heard of the bypass sticking a number of times.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

rotard posted:

Unless im an idiot and missed it, some cv outers are not rebuildable., so you may need the inner as well if your doing the outer as its almost a sure bet it will tear when your removing it. My 05 sti is a prime example. And hindsight being what it is, may as well replace the axle, as they are cheap if you dont need them next day, and the axle will wait and emploide when its most inconvenient. (Like a week before a track day while autoxing)

Yeah, I'm going to end up having the whole drat axle replaced, as a garage I spoke to mentioned that with the time costs to replace the boot versus the whole part cost, it's pretty much a wash. I'd do the work myself, but I have no garage anymore, and live in an area that's pretty much devoid of any flat (non-sloping) surface that I can perform work on. I may end up just ordering a spare one for the other side and preventatively swapping that out over Christmas when I have access to shop space and a nice, dry, concrete pad.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, replacing the axle is pretty simple where replacing boots is messy and kind of a pain in the rear end. There's a big variety in quality out there though, so you could get one that starts shuddering and clicking after not too long or it could last for years. Both my front axles failed catastrophically within a few months (partially my fault...) and I replaced them with $80 axles from napa that have been good ever since.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So this might be more of a 'tell me why I'm a dumbass' but I replaced my dedicated summer/winter tire setup with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s that promised great all-season support. I took my 09 WRX out on slushy roads here in Chicago, IL (first real snow bullshit of season) and noticed I was engaging ABS every 5 minutes and played slip-and-slide. I did a little more panic internet reading and found out the A/S3s should have been billed as 3 season tires and am now cursing myself for not being more thorough.
Needless to say, am I hosed and need to switch out to dedicated winters ASAP? I saw some other guy in Michigan running them all winter and :doh: I still feel like a fuckin' idiot out a couple hundred of bucks and with the possibility of having an uncontrollable missile come slush and snow.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

adnam posted:

So this might be more of a 'tell me why I'm a dumbass' but I replaced my dedicated summer/winter tire setup with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s that promised great all-season support. I took my 09 WRX out on slushy roads here in Chicago, IL (first real snow bullshit of season) and noticed I was engaging ABS every 5 minutes and played slip-and-slide. I did a little more panic internet reading and found out the A/S3s should have been billed as 3 season tires and am now cursing myself for not being more thorough.
Needless to say, am I hosed and need to switch out to dedicated winters ASAP? I saw some other guy in Michigan running them all winter and :doh: I still feel like a fuckin' idiot out a couple hundred of bucks and with the possibility of having an uncontrollable missile come slush and snow.

If you're wanting to be responsible yeah get winters but honestly unles you get TONS of snow I would just be careful and drive slower than you would with dedicated winters and have fun slipping around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The pilot sport AS3 are absolutely a 3 season tire. They are good for summer, they are good for wet, and they are good for low temps. They are not good for anything that requires the tread to clear anything but liquid water.

So, they are fine for driving around on a 20 degree F day when they aren't calling for any precipitation or any precip melts instantly in contact with road salt. They might be able to get you home in a light dusting of snow. Slush and actual snow puts them as just as bad as a summer tire. They have a great compound, amazing really. Grips like mad in the hot temps and doesn't get hard in the low temps. The tread design though is a summer tread design. It just isn't going to work with any condition that requires the tread to clear out non-liquids to get to the road surface.

I would just order a set of steelies mounted with the cheapest winter you can find on tirerack. Looks like you can get a set of Firestone Winterforce mounted on 16" steelies for about $730. That's probably just slightly more than your deductible.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

bull3964 posted:

The pilot sport AS3 are absolutely a 3 season tire. They are good for summer, they are good for wet, and they are good for low temps. They are not good for anything that requires the tread to clear anything but liquid water.

So, they are fine for driving around on a 20 degree F day when they aren't calling for any precipitation or any precip melts instantly in contact with road salt. They might be able to get you home in a light dusting of snow. Slush and actual snow puts them as just as bad as a summer tire. They have a great compound, amazing really. Grips like mad in the hot temps and doesn't get hard in the low temps. The tread design though is a summer tread design. It just isn't going to work with any condition that requires the tread to clear out non-liquids to get to the road surface.

I would just order a set of steelies mounted with the cheapest winter you can find on tirerack. Looks like you can get a set of Firestone Winterforce mounted on 16" steelies for about $730. That's probably just slightly more than your deductible.

That's the conclusion I came to, but my checking account wanted to disagree so badly. :doh: Considering my job requires me to be up at all hours and travel even when everybody else gets to be asleep (fuckers), looks like I'm going to dig out some cash for steelies + winters. Lesson to everybody else, do better goddamn research than me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the plus side, you're going to have a bitching setup for the next few years and you won't have to be quite as quick to changeover to the winters in the fall.

Pilot Sport AS3s are going to be replacing the stock Dunlops on my WRX when it comes time (probably later this upcoming summer). They'll stick better than the stock summer tires and I'll probably be able to go most of November and maybe into December without having to change them out.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Well, I got in my parking lot donuts for this year. I'm done with snow now, so let's fast foward to summer.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'll gladly trade. I'm in nothing but shorts and I'm melting.

si
Apr 26, 2004

adnam posted:

That's the conclusion I came to, but my checking account wanted to disagree so badly. :doh: Considering my job requires me to be up at all hours and travel even when everybody else gets to be asleep (fuckers), looks like I'm going to dig out some cash for steelies + winters. Lesson to everybody else, do better goddamn research than me.

Chicago needs winters if you don't have the option of staying home on bad days. Troll the classifieds on NASIOC often, you can usually score a set for cheap if you can wait. It's a lot easier if you start looking during the summer though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can anyone that has driven both an h6 and turboed outback/legacy give a comparison of how they drive? If everything goes well I will be buying a new used car in the next year, and I'm interested in something with a bit more pep than the 2.5. I'm leaning towards the turbo because I live at 5000 feet, but I haven't had a chance to drive either.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The fasteners connecting one side of my rear sway bar to the endlink worked themselves off - what size nut and bolt do I need? Any washers?

This is for stock endlinks and a Whiteline adjustable bar - I'm wondering if I should move to better endlinks while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Uh, '07 STI owner checking in with bad compression on cylinder 4. Local Subaru specialists want to charge $9k for a rebuild with stronger parts but I don't have the cash reserves (had a kid 2 months ago and we're cutting back everywhere to afford expensive-rear end SF Bay childcare).

Has anyone here gone through this and, if so, do you have any recommendations for what to do or any idea roughly what the car's worth now as a parts car? Everything else is in pretty good shape (wheels have some curb rash, exterior plastics have some fading but the interior is immaculate).