Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

Carson is clearly a joke candidate and I'm cynically assuming he's just trying to raise his profile by running and doesn't actually expect to get the nomination.

Another Bloomberg article posted today quoted a Clinton insider as saying a Jeb Bush/Rob Portman ticket could make a worthy opponent to Hillary. Thoughts?

In the same way that paper makes a worthy opponent to scissors, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ninjasaurus posted:

Carson is clearly a joke candidate and I'm cynically assuming he's just trying to raise his profile by running and doesn't actually expect to get the nomination.

Another Bloomberg article posted today quoted a Clinton insider as saying a Jeb Bush/Rob Portman ticket could make a worthy opponent to Hillary. Thoughts?

Jeb Bush is one of the most credible Republicans for a run right now. He governed a state with a large Hispanic population and is wife is Mexican. Portman's son is gay and the Senator supports marriage equality. These are both a serious problem with the evangelical part of the base. A Bush/Portman ticket would be potent in the general because they're economic conservatives with records on social issues that attract moderates. The issue is that the primary voters consider them both RINOs even worse than Romney.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Jeb Bush is hell-bent on making education a for-profit enterprise, so I'm sure that'll give him brownie points with the Tea Party lunatics.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Knight posted:

The next great "See, I'm not racist" hope, Ben Carson, is already taking fire for not forsaking all other gods and worshiping at the altar of guns:
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-11-20/ben-carson-seeks-to-assure-supporters-hes-solid-on-guns

:fork:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sullat posted:

In the same way that paper makes a worthy opponent to scissors, maybe.

Why do you think that? The odds favour Hillary in a matchup against Bush, but he's one of the least bad candidates the Republicans have. His only problems are his poor governorship, ludicrous economic ideas, and brother, which are things the voters will learn to ignore.

skaboomizzy posted:

Jeb Bush is hell-bent on making education a for-profit enterprise, so I'm sure that'll give him brownie points with the Tea Party lunatics.

Yes, but he said illegal immigration can be an act of love. Of course, that's not an angle Hillary will use to attack him, so that'll be a millstone during the primary but not if he reaches the general. Of course, he's backpedaled lately with strong opposition to Obama's new immigration executive order.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I think if Jeb runs and actually wins the nomination he will end up being too tarnished in the general due to the way he'd have to perform for the Republican base in the primaries like McCain and Romney were to actually beat Hillary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This whole speech putting immigration into the '16 elections is bad for Jeb. He's the most liberal candidate when it comes to that on the GOP side, and he'll never survive the primaries if he gets hammered on that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Why do you think that? The odds favour Hillary in a matchup against Bush, but he's one of the least bad candidates the Republicans have. His only problems are his poor governorship, ludicrous economic ideas, and brother, which are things the voters will learn to ignore.

It being far too early to say for sure, but so far I don't think any of the Republican bench is going to be very competitive with Hillary/???. But Bush III and Rob "Rob who?" Portman don't seem like they'll get much traction. I realize that they both have the kooky economic ideas that enrich their friends and that the tea party loves, but there are plenty of guys who have those and don't have all the baggage associated with the Bush name. Scott Walker may be universally despised, but he's got big money behind him, got the union-busting street cred amongst the far right, while someone with a bit more involvement with the evangelicals would probably do better in the primaries than a Catholic convert.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My read is that Carson is a joke/gimmick candidate that doesn't actually realize he's a joke/gimmick candidate, unlike Herman Cain. I feel like Carson has been huffing too many right wing farts over the last year or two and started to believe his own right wing press.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Being in Virginia, Jim Webb stuff has started showing up on FB. People either are apathetic or hate him (more often because of his environmental stances?).

There's one guy who's excited about him. He posts at least 3 things a day about police brutality. I guess that's his constituency because of his support for sentencing reform?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I was thinking about the electoral college and how the republicans look so much stronger visually on the map than their final electoral totals, so I got bored and spent a few minutes making some cartographic maps, including a hypothetical one for 2016 (yes I know this has been done before).

2008 really highlights just how empty big sky country is around Wyoming. It becomes immediately clear just how big a deal it is the Democrats have the west coast and northeast locked up - quite the sea of blue up there. The south has substantial power, and texas on its own, but the Republican totals are very weak beyond that. (I goofed, Technically the electoral totals are slightly wrong since I used the post-census map so the Dems actual performance was even better)

2012 is of course very similar to '08, the difference being the loss of North Carolina, Indiana, and Nebraska's 1st. Personally If I knew nothing about US geography and population distribution I'd have guessed the Democrats won in 2008 narrowly and the Republicans narrowly in 2012. The cartographic electoral representation shows just how far away the Republicans (still) are in 2012, despite their gains.

A hypothetical 2016 map, with swing states in gray. (I was liberal in my definition of 'swing state' since we are pretty far out). The midwest is clearly the name of the game for Republicans - they've got to make major inroads there to have a real shot at winning the white house.

Edit: I should mention this (very hypothetical) map would give Democrats 186 EVs vs Republicans 125 EVs

Eregos fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You can feel free to color in Kentucky, its not a swing state even in a blowout year. Minnesota is far more of a swing state. Of course if you are going to leave even the "likely" states grey then there is no point-they take up far too much of the map.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

You can feel free to color in Kentucky, its not a swing state even in a blowout year. Minnesota is far more of a swing state. Of course if you are going to leave even the "likely" states grey then there is no point-they take up far too much of the map.

Excuse you, MN's been blue every election since Nixon.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eregos posted:

A hypothetical 2016 map, with swing states in gray. (I was liberal in my definition of 'swing state' since we are pretty far out). The midwest is clearly the name of the game for Republicans - they've got to make major inroads there to have a real shot at winning the white house.

In case anyone's curious (I was) this map gives Democrats 186 'safe' EVs and Republicans 125. That's a fairly sizable gap. If you give Republicans Kentucky, Arkansas and Montana (which I think are all pretty safely Republican) you still only get 186-142.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the Republicans can't win Virginia in a 6th year midterm wave, is it a swing state?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If the Republicans can't win Virginia in a 6th year midterm wave, is it a swing state?

Can they win it in a 8th year non-wave election? Virginia is a swing state because a sufficiently appealing R and sufficiently crazy D will make it go red, whereas Minnesota went blue even for Mondale and Dukakis

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

That map defines swing state pretty liberally as essentially any state that either party could have a hope of contesting that is not completely insane. Many states on there aren't swing states except in fever dreams of one party.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

sullat posted:

Scott Walker may be universally despised, but he's got big money behind him, got the union-busting street cred amongst the far right, while someone with a bit more involvement with the evangelicals would probably do better in the primaries than a Catholic convert.

I've been discussing politics with my dad again after watching Game Change (highly recommended movie, Julianne Moore nails it as Sarah Palin) and he seems to be all fired up for Scott Walker. My dad just wants a President who "knows how to encourage business" (he watches CNBC every single day) and knows what they're doing when it comes to foreign policy (he's criticized Bush and Obama for the messes they've made in the Middle East). And of course, being a Republican, he loves the union-busting Walker did.

Why does Walker have traction? Is he really seen as a candidate who would be good for business?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ninjasaurus posted:

I've been discussing politics with my dad again after watching Game Change (highly recommended movie, Julianne Moore nails it as Sarah Palin) and he seems to be all fired up for Scott Walker. My dad just wants a President who "knows how to encourage business" (he watches CNBC every single day) and knows what they're doing when it comes to foreign policy (he's criticized Bush and Obama for the messes they've made in the Middle East). And of course, being a Republican, he loves the union-busting Walker did.

Why does Walker have traction? Is he really seen as a candidate who would be good for business?

Remind your dad that the two Presidents most clearly identified as businessmen were George Bush and Herbert Hoover. Running the government like a business hasn't worked out too well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ninjasaurus posted:

Union busting = Great for business. Koch support is a cherry on top. Also I'm pretty sure he's talked about tax cuts.

No idea how you look at Scott Walker and think that Wisconsin has prepared this guy to make all the right choices in Foreign Policy though.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I don't see how anyone looks at Walker and sees anything except a massive failure. The state is doing far worse than most states in job creation and growth, and it's falling behind in a lot of areas.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't see how anyone looks at Walker and sees anything except a massive failure. The state is doing far worse than most states in job creation and growth, and it's falling behind in a lot of areas.

The same way one looks at Ryan and sees the future face of the national GOP. Walker knows he'd only get a Veep pick in an attempt to turn Wisconsin R. However, there are other R governors to keep your eye on with more electoral vote flipping potential and stronger patronage networks than Walker in the midwest.

For an R President, you need NY/NE, Cali, Chicago, or Texas as a patronage base.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 22, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

For an R President, you need NY/NE, Cali, Chicago, or Texas as a patronage base.

Vinnick 2016!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Comedy option: Florida.

Although I wouldn't wish Rick Scott being in charge on my worst enemy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Comedy option: Florida.

Although I wouldn't wish Rick Scott being in charge on my worst enemy.

Your likely Floridian comedy option has a Texas patronage network with tendrils in NY and Cali.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Your likely Floridian comedy option has a Texas patronage network with tendrils in NY and Cali.

I consider the Bush dynasty a completely different kettle of fish.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

In case anyone's curious (I was) this map gives Democrats 186 'safe' EVs and Republicans 125. That's a fairly sizable gap. If you give Republicans Kentucky, Arkansas and Montana (which I think are all pretty safely Republican) you still only get 186-142.
Arkansas is a bit of a wild card given that Hillary and Bill are from there, with the counter-point being that Arkansas has swung heavily Republican since 1992/1996. 2016 might show whether the "home-state advantage" is truly dead or not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fade5 posted:

Arkansas is a bit of a wild card given that Hillary and Bill are from there, with the counter-point being that Arkansas has swung heavily Republican since 1992/1996. 2016 might show whether the "home-state advantage" is truly dead or not.

Doubly so if Christie is the nominee.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TARDISman posted:

Excuse you, MN's been blue every election since Nixon.

Well excuse you right back, the state has been trending conservative for decades and is no longer the liberal paradise it once was. It was pretty blow-outy in 2008 and 2012 (10 and 8 point wins respectively) but was only 51/48 Kerry in 2004 and 48/46 Gore in 2000, though you can thank the third parties for that odd result.

edit: Realistically speaking a "toss up state" list would probably look like this, assuming completely generic race with no homestate advantages: Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Iowa, Colorado and maybe Nevada though that one is probably D favored at this point. Everything else can be said to lean to one side or another.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 23, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Doubly so if Christie is the nominee.

I'd be surprised if both Christie was the nominee and he took Jersey.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Re: Scott Walker - how many U.S. Presidents have not had a college education?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lincoln only had a year or two of school as a kid.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Re: Scott Walker - how many U.S. Presidents have not had a college education?

Harry Truman was the last one. Don't know how many before him.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Washington definitely didn't.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

OneTwentySix posted:

And worse than the US as a whole, too.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

comes along bort posted:

Lincoln only had a year or two of school as a kid.

Wasn't Lincoln a lawyer?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

joeburz posted:

Wasn't Lincoln a lawyer?

In those days the requirements for being a lawyer were a lot less strict. He read a couple of books, and was admitted to the bar before they had exams and stuff. Probably helped that he was a state rep at the time. He got a job with one of his wife's relatives, where he presumably learned how to do lawyering.

Like being a vampire hunter or a doctor, it was just something you could decide to do and just pick up along the way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

joeburz posted:

Wasn't Lincoln a lawyer?

He was a country lawyer. His law education he did himself.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

sullat posted:

In those days the requirements for being a lawyer were a lot less strict. He read a couple of books, and was admitted to the bar before they had exams and stuff. Probably helped that he was a state rep at the time. He got a job with one of his wife's relatives, where he presumably learned how to do lawyering.

Like being a vampire hunter or a doctor, it was just something you could decide to do and just pick up along the way.

You can still "read law" via an apprenticeship in a bunch of states today and it substitutes for a law degree when you sit the bar exam in that state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

You can still "read law" via an apprenticeship in a bunch of states today and it substitutes for a law degree when you sit the bar exam in that state.

Heck, in California you don't need either, you can just take the bar exam. But I think in Lincoln's day, there was no actual exam, just an "evaluation" by the bar.

• Locked thread