Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sulecrist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Army Painter Alien Purple spray primer? I think purple spray primer would save me a lot of time but I want some good poo poo.

I've used their Dragon Red primer and I found it to have really good coverage and more or less matched the old Blood Red from GW.

However, I'm not sure if it's a REAL primer or not--it might be like the GW ones where it's just acrylic spray, but I don't really know off-hand. Still, worked well enough for me to get an entire Blood Angels army done in a month, so I can't imagine Alien Purple is any different.

As a bonus, my can's contents smelled like fruit once sprayed, which was surprisingly pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Posting from the hobbies thread:

anyone familiar with the harder & steenbeck ultra airbrush? I can get it fairly cheap(ish) but it says it's an entry level brush, and I've already got the iwata revolution which is pretty much a starter type brush (from what I'm reading at least) Should I just save pennies until I want a diff style/finer detail brush? Although I could always call this one an early Xmas pressie

And Valejo model air, any good or should I wait for the game versions? The only paints I've tried airbrushing so far have just been ordinary old citadel/p3/Vallejo that I've thinned myself.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Sulecrist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Army Painter Alien Purple spray primer? I think purple spray primer would save me a lot of time but I want some good poo poo.

EDIT: Also, cross-posting. I don't think I've ever posted in here before. I try to paint things to tabletop quality but I've been pushing myself a little lately. This is my first time trying OSL. The pictures came out really blurry but I could use some C&C. Some of the details are unfinished (base, highlighting, cleaning up chapter badge) but I think I'm tentatively done with the OSL.

What did you do for the pants? That's the brown I've always wanted and haven't been able to figure out.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Under 15 posted:

What did you do for the pants? That's the brown I've always wanted and haven't been able to figure out.

Steel Legion Drab over black primer, wash black, Tallarn Sand, wash sepia, Tallarn Sand tinted with bone. The leather parts are the same except with additional Steel Legion Drab highlights instead of Tallarn Sand.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Phildo posted:

Posting from the hobbies thread:

anyone familiar with the harder & steenbeck ultra airbrush? I can get it fairly cheap(ish) but it says it's an entry level brush, and I've already got the iwata revolution which is pretty much a starter type brush (from what I'm reading at least) Should I just save pennies until I want a diff style/finer detail brush? Although I could always call this one an early Xmas pressie

And Valejo model air, any good or should I wait for the game versions? The only paints I've tried airbrushing so far have just been ordinary old citadel/p3/Vallejo that I've thinned myself.

Yeah, don't get another starter airbrush, get a Badger Krome or iwata Hi-Line, which will be a step up.

Also the VGA paints are looking pretty good, consider trying the Badger Minitaire as well, if you can get your hands on some. Both are proper airbrush-ready paints.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Does anyone have a recipe for a light grey wash suitable for white armor? I'm starting up a Scyrah WMH band.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sulecrist posted:

EDIT: Also, cross-posting. I don't think I've ever posted in here before. I try to paint things to tabletop quality but I've been pushing myself a little lately. This is my first time trying OSL. The pictures came out really blurry but I could use some C&C. Some of the details are unfinished (base, highlighting, cleaning up chapter badge) but I think I'm tentatively done with the OSL.

Uh, did you mean to make the insignia for your guys a common fascist symbol or was that accidental?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's a loving axe.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No, it's a fascio.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't get it, it looks like an axe to me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought it was a poorly painted tomahawk or something but I can see why you'd think it was a fascio. I'm not going to string him up before he explains himself though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Looks like an airhorn to me.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

It's definitely a fasces. It's a very common symbol of totalitarian authority; it's all over US currency and architecture and Congressional seals and poo poo. I didn't realize it was any more controversial than, say, an eagle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sulecrist posted:

It's definitely a fasces. It's a very common symbol of totalitarian authority; it's all over US currency and architecture and Congressional seals and poo poo. I didn't realize it was any more controversial than, say, an eagle.

Doesn't have the same stigma as the Swastika despite the historical parallels

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also 40k is Catholic Space Nazis so a fasces isn't terribly out of place

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
E. Never mind

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fasces in and of itself is fine, it's not like these guys have been painted up like Il Duce's blackshirts to be an allied detachment for a Black Templars force complete with red arm bands, zimmerit, and Brother Captain Heydrich

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

Doesn't have the same stigma as the Swastika despite the historical parallels

Yeah it depends on the area you live in I guess. My family is Italian so it's very much a verboten thing in our culture but it's not explicitly associated with as bad stuff like the swastika. I was more just curious if it was intentional or not, because it could lead to awkward conversations with certain people down the road.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Had to look up what the hell a fasces is. If Abraham Lincoln and George Washington are featured with them I can't see them being associated with fascism, come on.

e: at least, if you're in the US

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'd rather there wasn't a repeat of Painting and Modelling Unspiration again so how about some slightly unconventional painting tips? If you let unmixed Agrax Earthshade dry a little on a palette until it turns a little gloopy, it acts as a pretty good wet mud for cloth and armour.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Well, I would still like some feedback on the OSL. Slimnoid very helpfully gave me some in the other thread but any additional suggestions are welcome. As discussed, the base and badge are WIP and I have some other highlighting to do that won't be affected by the lighting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

krushgroove posted:

Had to look up what the hell a fasces is. If Abraham Lincoln and George Washington are featured with them I can't see them being associated with fascism, come on.

gently caress, fasces go way back past then. There are fasces in the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford which is 1600s; I'm pretty sure they originated in ancient Egypt?

Fakedit: Wiki says it was originally Etruscan then Roman.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Lots of people used swastikas before the Nazis, why would they bother anyone?
:can:

Seriously I'd just avoid the issue entirely by going with a different chapter symbol. Plus, you're going to want a single-color symbol that don't make you crazy painting 60+ of the things. Try something they make historical decals for, or alter an existing GW symbol. Turn it upside down, or combine it with another decal.

As for the OSL, you're only using one color which is tricky. Plus, yellow doesn't pop against the bright colors you're already using. Good OSL tends to have a transition between two colors (red-orange, blue-white, yellow-green) to denote distance from the source, as well as a darker, desaturated scheme for the rest of the figure. In some cases, it's an almost black & white scheme with the OSL jumping out at you as the brightest point of color. Google some Cryx schemes or that famous Sisters of Battle diorama.

Your guy's got a lot of vibrant color for the OSL to get lost in, and yellow is a relatively weak color. I'd mute and darken his other colors, paint the light source red, and fade the reflected light from orange to yellow.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd agree with all of that except painting the light source red. The light source should be almost white with only the barest hint of colour. The light source has to be the brightest part of the OSL effect or the whole thing goes wrong.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I already have a pile of models painted in that color scheme so changing it isn't a good option. I'm a slow painter, so I'd rather not have OSL at all than go back and fundamentally alter a year's worth of work. Is there a way to just change the glow color?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

As it is now is perfectly functional, but it need to be just a little stronger and have some highlights, and you need to make sure it gets everywhere it should. Think like a raytracing programme.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

berzerkmonkey posted:

Did someone in the thread paint up the Dark Vengeance cultists and post them a while back? I seem to remember seeing some, but I can't remember where it was that they were posted...

I'm sure you weren't thinking of mine, but I do like how they came out!

One day this army will be finished, I swear.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

krushgroove posted:

I hope I'm just missing the joke, or else your post is priceless for the wording.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

krushgroove posted:

It's a classic symbol of ardent authority, first used by the Romans if memory serves. Like skulls, black uniforms, raptors, and a dozen other things associated with intimidation and authority, it only makes sense that totalitarian regimes commonly make use of them as symbols.

It's not complicated.

Rome, being arguably the most powerful and far reaching empire in history, is still emulated to this day (Greek columns are completely anachronistic, yet still used in official buildings for the aura they project).

US Congress:

Lincoln Memorial:

The Imperium is a fascist theocracy, hence why so many Imperial government buildings are meant to be imposing monuments to central authority with Catholic/gothic architecture used to illustrate how fanatical the society is:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

moths posted:

Lots of people used swastikas before the Nazis, why would they bother anyone?
:can:

Seriously I'd just avoid the issue entirely by going with a different chapter symbol.

The Fasces is just an old Roman Symbol of the authroity of the State.

The Italian fascists used them a lot because they had a hard on for Roman poo poo. There is nothing controversial about that symbol and anyone actually offended by them should shut up and learn some history.

Your chapter symbol is fine.

Incidentally and somewhat off Topic but I loving hate the tea party for hijacking Revolutionary war sysbols like the Gadsden Flag so that people now think its a symbol of racist far-right nubjobs.

Edit: I just ruined a 99% done model by blobing it with black paint trying to do a oil based pen wash. gently caress.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 23, 2014

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Can you people please not poo poo up a second awesome thread with Fascist-chat? Start a new thread if you love it that much.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm probably in a weird position because my state was full of hate groups growing up and I was forever seeing assholes *WINK* celebrate their (white) heritage *WINK* with subtle, completely deniable dogwhistles. So no - bringing something like a Mjölnir tattoo, Confederate flags, Fasces, or Iron Crosses to the table doesn't automatically make you a Stormfront poster. But it's a cue that I'm going to hear wrong-headed babble about at least the trains ran on time, Hitler was nothing compared to Stalin, or how the Civil War wasn't really about slavery. Using fascist symbolism puts out a loaded signal that you (hopefully) don't want to be putting out, and you should at least be aware of that.

But we've seen at least one thread disappear down this rabbit hole so I digress.

You could help the OSL by repainting the plasma gun, headband and wristbands, breast pocket pouch, and respirator(?) thing on his neck a charcoal grey. Then paint the coils near-white like thespaceinvader said, and put its reflected light on those grey surfaces in a gradient from red to orange. You're not going to have much space to work with, but that shouldn't step on your scheme too badly, and it should help give it a background to contrast with.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It's kinda on the same level as Nordic symbols. It could mean the person is some wanker wiccan or is genuinely interested in the mythology, but chances are they like Hitler.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Big Willy Style posted:

It's kinda on the same level as Nordic symbols. It could mean the person is some wanker wiccan or is genuinely interested in the mythology, but chances are they like Hitler.

:commissar:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

spacegoat posted:

Can you people please not poo poo up a second awesome thread with Fascist-chat? Start a new thread if you love it that much.
Quoting for continued relevance.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
First I saw it, i thought "lol, fasces" and just read on, because, come on, the guy's purple and green. Was it supposed to be some sort of axe or a tommahawk, considering that the scout himself is black/Vulcanian American?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

JcDent posted:

First I saw it, i thought "lol, fasces" and just read on, because, come on, the guy's purple and green. Was it supposed to be some sort of axe or a tommahawk, considering that the scout himself is black/Vulcanian American?

Well its an Axe surrounded by a bundle of sticks and also symbolized unity. The modern equivalent would be something like the badges and ID's carried by Cops and other justice/law enforcement department officials.

Its not a bad symbol for a military unit really.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Numlock posted:

Well its an Axe surrounded by a bundle of sticks and also symbolized unity. The modern equivalent would be something like the badges and ID's carried by Cops and other justice/law enforcement department officials.

Its not a bad symbol for a military unit really.

It's modestly problematic, on the same level as the iron cross. People get the wrong idea because you're laying down with the wrong kinds of people.

The real reason to not use that is it will be impossible to do a million times and not have it be irregular as hell. Even if you keep with it, I'd suggest using photoshop and doing up a sheet of transfers so it stays similar.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, it is easier to get away with the Fascine because Mussolini is the Scrappy Doo to Adoplh's Scooby, and his branding is basically unknown. I guess Italy's numerous overwhelming failures in the war helped. That's why you have Neo Nazis as actual movements (hilarious ugly movements, but I guess the link would be too NWS) and neo fascists as internet boogiemen.

The iron cross is still very much in use with Heer and Luftwaffle.

But yeah, freehand a bitch.

On the other hand, some people can do some bitchin' Guardsmen banners, but I have none to show. I wonder how they manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hey how 'bout painting those toy plastic soldiers, guys?!

• Locked thread