Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Mradyfist posted:

How long are people leaving coated strings on their acoustics? I've been using D'addario phosphor bronzes for a while and they usually sound the way I like them after about two days of griming them up and after a week or so they get noticeably discolored because I live in a humid climate and also I'm a filthy human being who refuses to wipe down his guitar regularly.

I tossed on some coated D'addarios in the same gauge and I like how they sound right away, what kind of lifespan should I be getting out of them if I'm just as lazy about cleaning and I play about an hour per day? Do they still noticeably discolor when they wear?

I left a set of Elixir Nanowebs on a Selmer-Macaferri clone that sat in a spare bedroom in my parents' house for ten years. They sounded OK after all that time, but then again they didn't get played. Miraculously the guitar was totally pristine too. Well that's my story namaste everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Proud owner of a new S2 Singlecut. Not a core PRS but it's a whole lot of guitar for me. Feels drat good to be an owner of the birds finally.

I'll elaborate later but this is one of the few guitars I've ever grabbed and just completely melted together with. It feels so good. I don't want to get too excited before the honeymoon period is over but I don't have a single complaint. After being burned by most of my expensive guitar purchases I was reluctant for a while but Paul done me good. Expect pictures in the other thread soon. Might even go all out and take it into the yard for some.

Also PRS strings are perfect, what's the deal? I understand that they're made by D'Addario to PRS' specs but they've got their own thing going on. Pure nickel on a hex core right?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
how hot are the pickups in the S2?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

how hot are the pickups in the S2?

This one has the Korean version of the #7s. To my ears they're medium output pafs with a modern voice. They're not extremely hot but just have enough punch to sound great for progressive metal and such. I spent a few hours with my OR15 and the versatility of this guitar beats anything I've owned. Sounds great clean to a bluesy break up to full on saturated gain and the coil tap works well to give you another approach to the same base sound. The clarity overall really took me by surprise. I expected to love the guitar but maybe swap the pickups eventually but I'm not sure. They nail 99% of the tones I go for.

If you've got any other questions just let me know, I'll try my best to answer. I looked everywhere for info on the S2 line but there's not a lot out there outside of a handful of PRS and TGP forum threads.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

dexter6 posted:

I've played a blues junior before, I'll check that out.
Please also check out the Tweaker, it covers everything you want and more.

e: I really like the Tweaker.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, this is a dumb post, and it's kinda sadbrains, but c'est la vie.

So I've got some guitar pedals and some absolutely miserable bills to pay. What's the best way of getting fast cash on them and hopefully getting more than a nickel and a sandwich for them? Pawn shop? Guitar Center?

They've been up in a SA-mart thread, but there's no action there, I dunno. It'd probably be a good thing to at least get some of them out, just focus on my guitar for a while, but there's some sounds I basically can't live without. But I also need to dump enough stuff to get real dollars.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Reverb.com might work for you

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Reverb.com might work for you

poo poo, I should have asked earlier, I could easily undercut the prices there and still make out like a bandit. Unfort, I gotta get the cash together today.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

poo poo, I should have asked earlier, I could easily undercut the prices there and still make out like a bandit. Unfort, I gotta get the cash together today.

See if you can find a facebook-group for local gear-sales/trades. The ones local to me has a pretty brisk trade.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Allen Wren posted:

Sorry dude :( if I was you I would try that or the above mentioned facebook route. If those cant work I'd head to the closest small/personally owned music shop and try to sell. The smaller stores will normally give you a better price than a pawn shop.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anything similar to that reverb site in the UK? I've not played my 4 string bass since picking up a VI and I've been trying to sell it or trade for a few weeks now.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Borrow the money from anybody today, sell the pedals in the immediate future on reverb/craigslist/Facebook swap group for an appropriate price. You'll kick yourself later if you pawn this stuff for 20% of the used market price-point.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If you want a deafening experience, try hooking up your 11rack to your combo amp's return jack. Completely bypasses the controls and is absolutely cranked all the time (at least on my JetCity 22H)

That left some ringing when I hit the first chord. Stupid me never thought about the master volumes being wired before the effects loop jacks. Oops.

Had to manually back each patch down to about -16 to -12db to be more useable at home and work the main volume to taste.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 22, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Sockington posted:

Lead guy was showing me his original 66 tele tonight.

Hey Fender, Roadworn that.
hnnnnnng

How is the neck? Big'n'juicy or nice'n'slim?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Sleepflower posted:

Please also check out the Tweaker, it covers everything you want and more.

e: I really like the Tweaker.
Is it just a head, though? So I still have to buy a speaker, then?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Looks like it comes as both a head for about $400 and a 1x12 combo for about $600. If you bought the head version you would need a cabinet. But the combo version looks like it can hook up to two external cabs if you decide you need more than one 12" speaker.

Reading up on it, it looks really versatile. Something to keep in mind if I ever am in the market for a smaller Tube amp.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Xabi posted:

hnnnnnng

How is the neck? Big'n'juicy or nice'n'slim?

Surprisingly thin.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so I am guessing this is just because it is winter(3-4 heaters going) and my house grounding is notoriously bad. buttttt

my jm has been buzzing real bad. I am guessing it is the 60 cycle hum but, compared to my sg it is much worse (the sg has the same hum but a lower level) and it gets louder when I get louder and I can't help but here it.

they are both PAF style humbuckers but my jm has no shielding or covers. Should I invest in some covers or shielding tape would that help? it goes down when touching the strings, not sure that is an indication for anything.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

dexter6 posted:

Is it just a head, though? So I still have to buy a speaker, then?

Both! Pricewise we were talking about the Combo for fair comparison with the blues jr, but if you can find a decent cab under the price difference (used, of course) it would be cheaper to get the head. But then the matched speaker in the combo is apparently really well chosen so probably just go with that.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so I am guessing this is just because it is winter(3-4 heaters going) and my house grounding is notoriously bad. buttttt

my jm has been buzzing real bad. I am guessing it is the 60 cycle hum but, compared to my sg it is much worse (the sg has the same hum but a lower level) and it gets louder when I get louder and I can't help but here it.

they are both PAF style humbuckers but my jm has no shielding or covers. Should I invest in some covers or shielding tape would that help? it goes down when touching the strings, not sure that is an indication for anything.

Grounding issue, potentially. Shielding tape is a good investment anyhow, and 3m makes a nice adhesive tape, but it's expensive. Your best bet is to find someone that already has some.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I had a dream last night that I bought a Trini Lopez.

Or, well, I was playing one that I knew to be mine.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
buy a vegas high roller instead

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I had a dream last night that I bought a Trini Lopez.

Or, well, I was playing one that I knew to be mine.

If you buy it, he will come.

I am just going to imagine you taking an inordinate amount of acid; then you trip out imagining that you are playing with Trini Lopez, and then he hands you his guitar. But, in reality you wake up in a pile of your own vomit holding a broomstick.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
So I had an old strat style beater guitar that I wanted to fix up and in the process of taking everything apart my dumb rear end didn't write down how any of the wires were soldered and now I'm pretty lost as to what goes where. Luckily it only has a bridge humbucker, 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob.

Let me present the worst paint picture I could muster up.

The cone thing at the bottom is the input jack which I have soldered onto the tone pot.

The humbucker (Seymour Duncan 59) is soldered onto the volume pot

The last wire is a longish yellow one that I'm sure one end was soldered onto the metal plate in the back of the guitar, I wasn't sure where the other end went so as of now I have it soldered onto the volume pot also. However when I put a string on and plug in I get nothing.

If I rub the guitar cord against the input jack, the humbucker, bridge, anything metal I get a sound like when you first plug in and know the guitar is live. But I get no sound when I play the string.

Can anyone tell me where to begin fixing this dumb mistake?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Shielded my greco strat with copper tape, conductive adhesive, didn't make a difference that I noticed. Went through with a little homemade continuity tester and soldered most of the joins so it's all connected to the ground on the jack and still no noticeable difference. Pickguard has an alfoil sheet which grounds securely to the pots (again tested). Any ideas what I might have done wrong or does it not make that huge a difference?
Wanted to shield my single coils themselves but one of them has a phase switch so I don't want to gently caress that up by grounding it and also the windings are really exposed so I don't want to risk damaging them.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Darf posted:

Can anyone tell me where to begin fixing this dumb mistake?

I'm actually doing something similar later this week, so I had this tab open already. Alternatively, if you just can't seem to get it, you can go pickup>volume>output and omit tone entirely. There's a diagram for that at the Seymour Duncan website too.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Looking at those diagrams is like a foreign language to me. This is my first time ever attempting something like this and it's been fairly straightforward so far but I've been stumped for two days with these wires.

The humbucker wire is a thicker silver wire with black and white feather like material beneath that and then finally the actual wire.

Are you supposed to actually use those little posts on the pots or can you just solder directly onto the pot itself? I'll try to take some pictures of what everything looks like now tomorrow.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
follow that picture exactly and you should be fine

the silver braid part gets soldered to the back of the volume pot and the black wire goes to lug on the left

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
can anyone recommend some intermediate acoustic pieces to learn. i used to play some jose feliciano/tommy emmanuel songs (the easier ones) but i only started playing again recently and im finding it slow going.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

Grounding issue, potentially. Shielding tape is a good investment anyhow, and 3m makes a nice adhesive tape, but it's expensive. Your best bet is to find someone that already has some.

I went ahead and ordered tape to shield it when I put on new strings. To ground it, do I need to run a specific wire to the shield or could I just connect the shield to the iput jack or something like that? Is it beneficial to just do the cavity or should I do the cavity and pick guard as well?

I am going to the sheds today and should find out just how noisy it is. I half expect it just to be the house but, I guess narrowing down one variable will be helpful.

edit: It does seem to vary which way I am pointing/where I am standing in the room so, I feel like it is EMI.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I went ahead and ordered tape to shield it when I put on new strings. To ground it, do I need to run a specific wire to the shield or could I just connect the shield to the iput jack or something like that? Is it beneficial to just do the cavity or should I do the cavity and pick guard as well?

I am going to the sheds today and should find out just how noisy it is. I half expect it just to be the house but, I guess narrowing down one variable will be helpful.

edit: It does seem to vary which way I am pointing/where I am standing in the room so, I feel like it is EMI.

You should probably connect whatever's considered ground in the circuit to the shield, as otherwise you're just going to kill the signal by shorting it out. You just need one wire to go to it, so probably from the cold side of your input jack will work.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should probably connect whatever's considered ground in the circuit to the shield, as otherwise you're just going to kill the signal by shorting it out. You just need one wire to go to it, so probably from the cold side of your input jack will work.

update: quiet as a mouse at our practice space, seems the wiring at the house is just that bad with all the heaters going. bummer kinda but going to shield it soon for good measure

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

muike posted:

buy a vegas high roller instead

Actually looks pretty nice save for the asymmetric horns.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What do goons think about this?
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Lee-Malia-Signature-Les-Paul-Custom.aspx
Sam Ash has it for $799 on preorder.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I don't normally like gold hardware, but I think that thing in general looks pretty rad. But $800 for an Epiphone is pretty steep imo, especially considering what other guitars you can get for that price.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm digging the pickup configuration and the fact that they are Gibson.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

That guitar is hot as gently caress and p90 neck HB bridge is my favourite LP setup but $800 for an epi...

e: Oh god there's even a coil split for the bridge

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 25, 2014

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
“I just wanted to create something that looks really classy,” said Malia. “Something that I think appeals to anyone who plays any genre of music. Anyone could pick up this guitar and not necessarily know that I play in a metal band.”

Goal achieved. That thing looks amazing, and with the pickups in it seems extremely genre flexible. The price point is really the only thing that's killing it for me, otherwise I'd say they knocked it out of the park on this one. I kinda want one...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Schpyder posted:

I don't normally like gold hardware, but I think that thing in general looks pretty rad. But $800 for an Epiphone is pretty steep imo, especially considering what other guitars you can get for that price.

The higher end Epiphones are really not in the same league as their budget offerings. I can't seem to find where this one was made (not that it matters too much) but especially if it's a Japanese one it seems like a decent deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Tried my damndest yesterday to get the soldering right, but I don't think my destiny lies in the soldering world. I'm not giving up though, I'll figure this out tonight! I'm guessing I've overlooked something super basic.