Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

If I had to describe it, aside from one person, everyone sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher except for a few words.

first line of the transcript in question posted:

>> all: [all speaking at once]

lol

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Dear tech company, you of all people should know how to record audio on a couple of mics spread around the room to be able to effectively capture these 12 people. Also maybe have the camera point at the screen head on. Or at least tell people to speak the gently caress up!

Fake edit: Why would you record a panel discussion, demand full verbatim and then not check to see if, you know, the recorder could actually hear anything? Especially when you have heavy accents? I have 10 inaudibles in the first 30 seconds. This is going to come back and I'm going to go nope. Nope, nope, nope. Because my god, I cannot understand these people when you are recording on a device that is clearly, in fact, up your actual rear end!

lmao

LOMM III: JKL Hate Station :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
We still love you, boss :swoon:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

lol

lmao

LOMM III: JKL Hate Station :iamafag:

That panel discussion wasn't even the thing you';re thinking of. It was a thing for DT on education.

We still love you JKL, JKL is life. :)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I'm glad I don't have to do whatever that is. Every education file I've had, from a couple different companies, always, always wants verbatim yet they have the worst recordings.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

I'm glad I don't have to do whatever that is. Every education file I've had, from a couple different companies, always, always wants verbatim yet they have the worst recordings.

Huzzah! Don't be afraid, they've switched to clean, and are no longwer butt-cording...at least on the file I got today.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Nuance don't telemarket me on my phone, especially not after I just wake up and am an irritable son of a bitch.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Huzzah! Don't be afraid, they've switched to clean, and are no longwer butt-cording...at least on the file I got today.

Common sense wins a rare victory :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This might be a stupid question, but there's an extreme shortage of jobs I'm qualified for around here lately.

What's the best way to actually take payment? I'm looking into applying for transcriptions because I've already been paid to do transcriptions for speeches before. :v:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Anatharon posted:

This might be a stupid question, but there's an extreme shortage of jobs I'm qualified for around here lately.

What's the best way to actually take payment? I'm looking into applying for transcriptions because I've already been paid to do transcriptions for speeches before. :v:

Method varies by outfit. DT pays by check only, while other places may offer to direct deposit. I prefer direct deposit, but in this day and age you can deposit a check with a phone, which is one of the things I bought with my early checks.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

I think I might have to give up my latest assignment. I previewed it this afternoon when it was assigned to ensure it played and the audio was not trash, which it did and was not. Sitting down tonight to actually transcribe it, it is an art lecture, full of proper names of artists, places and art. And the speaker does not really enunciate the names. My first page had 12 inaudibles on it, I knew I was up poo poo creek. Hopefully the file can be reassigned to someone who either knows art or is very good at this.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
When you're faced with that kind of situation, just [PH] it. Write down whatever the dude on the file says as he pronounces it and if Google can't discern whatever it actually is, let someone else deal with it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's the leapforce qualification exam like?

e: early morning typo :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 20, 2014

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

Anyone applied for Leapforce recently? After submitting all my information including resume, they are asking me to take an assessment test which I can start at any time. This seems fairly new because I never read about this going through prior post about Leapforce. I plan on taking it later after getting some rest but I just want a heads up on what to expect on this test so I can ace it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The test is open-book. Basically reading comprehension.

Get a simulated task. Check guide for which cases apply to it. Mark accordingly.

Almost each task you will be given has a corresponding similar task in the guide. Find that corresponding task and do the same thing on your task.

Easy. Just beware anything health/life/money related and be super conservative with quality marking there.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Sushi X posted:

Anyone applied for Leapforce recently? After submitting all my information including resume, they are asking me to take an assessment test which I can start at any time. This seems fairly new because I never read about this going through prior post about Leapforce. I plan on taking it later after getting some rest but I just want a heads up on what to expect on this test so I can ace it.

I worked for leapforce like 4 years ago and they had a prequalification exam. My wife tried to fudge it without doing her homework, and bombed. Read the materials, and reference them while you take the test. The test WAS (half a decade ago) just like the work, so if you don't like the material on the test, beware what you're signing up to do.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Not to interrupt transcriptionchat, but does anyone here still do the online writing/SEO stuff? I'm curious to know if there are any new sites worth looking into or that opened signups again or something.

Myself I'm still focusing mostly on Zerys, with a smattering of Writers Domain and Constant Content when Zerys is empty. It's all surprisingly lucrative; I treat it as a side thing/supplement but I can still pull in a decent amount of beer money with it. Huge thanks to the thread for getting me started with this a while back. Anyone else got other sites they recommend?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you can write SEO, you can write sales copy. Your beer money will turn into wine money, then wine cooler $.

Of course, you have to be proactive; find a niche industry, research it to hell and back (who's winning with what conversion rate with what calls to action), and quote your per hour at 5x what you get for writing 59 great golfing tips.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Pikestaff posted:

Not to interrupt transcriptionchat, but does anyone here still do the online writing/SEO stuff? I'm curious to know if there are any new sites worth looking into or that opened signups again or something.

Myself I'm still focusing mostly on Zerys, with a smattering of Writers Domain and Constant Content when Zerys is empty. It's all surprisingly lucrative; I treat it as a side thing/supplement but I can still pull in a decent amount of beer money with it. Huge thanks to the thread for getting me started with this a while back. Anyone else got other sites they recommend?

I don't have any experience with them, but a friend mentioned Ghostblogger to me http://www.ghostbloggers.net/

And this one isn't writing related but I've been meaning to ask if anyone's done anything like Field Agent and is it worth it: http://www.fieldagent.net/

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Ghostbloggers is okay but super inconsistent. I wrote a few articles, one of which sold and netted me like $45 for a fairly minimal amount of work, but the others haven't sold and they've been up there since January.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Man, game shows are really, really nice for setting up autotext.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Duders who may be having a hard time getting work, now's the time to mail Sally over at DT, seems they've got a decent amount of stuff for over the holiday weekend. I just grabbed 70 minutes that isn't due until Sunday EOD, so easy poo poo I can work on in my spare time.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Duders who may be having a hard time getting work, now's the time to mail Sally over at DT, seems they've got a decent amount of stuff for over the holiday weekend. I just grabbed 70 minutes that isn't due until Sunday EOD, so easy poo poo I can work on in my spare time.

Hehe, about that, I got an email from DT that said they no longer need my services at this time. Guess I was not good enough :sigh: . Anybody interested in a barely used IN-USB-2 foot pedal?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Hehe, about that, I got an email from DT that said they no longer need my services at this time. Guess I was not good enough :sigh: . Anybody interested in a barely used IN-USB-2 foot pedal?

Odd, especially for this time of year, did she give you any feedback?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Odd, especially for this time of year, did she give you any feedback?

Exact email:

quote:

Dear darkwolf220

Thank you for your support to Daily Transcription. Unfortunately, at this time, we will no longer need your services. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

The only thing I can think of is that I had expressed some frustrations with a couple files. I figured I would eventually work through them, but I guess I will not have to. Oh well, I have moved on at this point.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
In freelancer/contractor speak (You'll also find basically the same message attached to anyone any time WWE fires a wrestler, for example, as they too are contractors! In PSP we joke about getting future endeavored), you just got fired. Either they're cleaning house or you've been putting out too many unacceptable transcripts.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Oh, I know I got fired. I used to be a retail manager, I have used lines similar to that myself. Hopefully I still get the 2 paychecks they owe me, I have not seen one this week yet, but holiday and all.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

Question: Is $500 for 10 hours of audio transcripts a fair deal, or a big ol' shaft?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Ham Pants posted:

Question: Is $500 for 10 hours of audio transcripts a fair deal, or a big ol' shaft?

I'd say $600 would be better, since 10 hours is 600 minutes and I'd say $1/min is where it starts hitting fair.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

I'd say $600 would be better, since 10 hours is 600 minutes and I'd say $1/min is where it starts hitting fair.

I was thinking the same thing. I already had to offer these guys a discount to get them to stop hemming and hawing about their goddamn budget.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It certainly could be worse, at least. If it were DT you'd only be getting $450 for that most likely!

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

Well, it's definitely something to do when there's no other work!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Can't fault you there! It's more than I'm making this weekend, but I chip in for a generally lower amount of work so I've only got about 5 hours on my plate now 'til Sunday night.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Jesus gently caress leapforce is the bomb, I wish I'd applied years ago. I heard about it (probably from this thread) ages ago but somehow didn't think it seemed right for me when it's actually pretty much a perfect fit. I'd been meaning to look into it (and transcription, even bought a pedal) for a while but never actually applied until a few months ago and never did any transcription after all.

I'm really curious how many applicants they get and how many people they actually have working for them, $13.50 an hour is pretty great for an easy, relatively fun job with total flexibility like this. I'm not under the illusion that I'm some kind of wizard at this, the initial test was pretty easy, so I'm more curious how lucky I was to be accepted; they seem to do a pretty good job of not having more raters than work.

I can already piss away 12+ hours online no problem, so being clocked into Leapforce just sort of provides a little structure to my browsing, if I'm going to read about random dumb poo poo I may as well get paid for it. A lot of their tasks allot you say 5-15 minutes but it never takes that long to do them... many only take 20-30% the rated time if you aren't completely inept with a keyboard and mouse, e.g. yesterday I worked for about an hour and a half and then was able to completely slack off for about four hours, this is really great. Americans are capped at 40 hours a week but you can work as much as you want in a given day, so when stuff is good I just stay logged in 12-15 hours at a stretch and it doesn't even feel like work, I just alt tab and read some other stuff for a few minutes a few times an hour.

I thought this would just be a nice little side job until I went back to school, but after doing this full time for a few weeks it's like free money really. They have lots of mobile tasks too, potentially getting paid while commuting to another job would be nice.

Anyway, anyone do any work for Lionbridge that isn't translation/localization stuff? I'm curious if they're anywhere near as much fun.

Dead Pressed posted:

I worked for leapforce like 4 years ago and they had a prequalification exam. My wife tried to fudge it without doing her homework, and bombed. Read the materials, and reference them while you take the test. The test WAS (half a decade ago) just like the work, so if you don't like the material on the test, beware what you're signing up to do.
I bet it's a lot different now mainly because of smartphones and Google figuring out more and more cool poo poo it can do. I was honestly pretty wary when I started out, I sure as hell wasn't interested in 40 hours a week of the typical "look at these two lists of landing pages, how good are they and how relevant are they to the search, which side is better" tasks, but I basically never do those now and still have no trouble hitting 40 hours a week. You get insight into a lot of neat little Google side projects too, and get to see what their priorities are or what they might be working on improving in the near future. It's more general research though the utility/quality ratings still loosely apply to just about every task.

Straker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 29, 2014

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Ham Pants posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I already had to offer these guys a discount to get them to stop hemming and hawing about their goddamn budget.

I'd also wonder what they want for a turnaround time as well, I mean, a file that big, even assuming it's perfect, you're going to get kinda squirrely.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Straker, glad you're enjoying it. I've thought about reupping with them for a few extra bucks a month but just haven't pushed myself as I was really burnt out on the style of the work. Might try it out with the changes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

When I was working for Leapforce, there were rumors that they tracked what you were doing browsing when you were supposedly "working" and you could get in trouble for being off-task while clocking the time. I don't know if they ever actually did that, or if they do now.

The problem with Leapforce back then was that they had a minimal number of tasks. You could refresh the page for an hour and only get two tasks. When you did get some, they were the lovely, takes-too-long-for-the-money tasks.

Then they went three months without reviewing anyone, then reviewed a ton of people poorly despite any actual quality of their work, then downsized and fired a bunch of people the next month.

That said, they're amazing when the tasks are rolling in, and it sounds like there's plenty to do now.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I just gave up doing it three or four years ago because the only tasks they ever had were those awful side-by-side ratings, or I'd have weeks where I'd get three whole tasks. And moving performance targets. I worked for LionBridge and if they updated their guidelines they'd go back through the previous month and retroactively change your performance score based on the new guide. I started out when you could still rate pages and it just turned into drudgery. Glad it's better work now, but don't make it your only source of income.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
I could use some pointers with textbroker. I'm still waiting for my five articles to be reviewed but was invited to join a couple of teams. What's a good price per word to submit? Right now, I'm listed at 1.78.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

For teams, the owner of the team sets the price. For direct orders, you can set however much you want to get. I did 2.5 for a while, and when I got other better work I upped it to 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

Nighthand posted:

For teams, the owner of the team sets the price. For direct orders, you can set however much you want to get. I did 2.5 for a while, and when I got other better work I upped it to 5.

Ah, thanks. I see the set-price now.