Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

pressedbunny posted:

Might I suggest you watch a DLo Brown match?

Hey, D'Lo was medically required to wear that chest protector! Ahmed was just an injury-prone boob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blasmeister posted:

Also supposedly it was to demonstrate that WWE still intended to use those characters to support a lawsuit against WCW for having Hall and Nash playing their WWE personas while on Nitro.

WCW responded to WWE's fake razor and diesel..... by giving Hall and Nash a new, better contract because they were worried they'd jumped ship back to WWE. :doh:

I find it incredibly interesting that fans rejected the characters so hard. Like... This never happens when James Bond is replaced by a new actor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Astro7x posted:

I find it incredibly interesting that fans rejected the characters so hard. Like... This never happens when James Bond is replaced by a new actor.

I like to think there is an alternate universe where CM Punk wrestles Razor Ramon (portrayed by Seth Rollins) and Hulk Hogan (portrayed by Jack Swagger).

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Astro7x posted:

First off, this totally happens.

Secondly, imagine if a professional sports team lost a star player to their rival, and the team's response was "Ok, we'll put this much, much shittier player in the guy who left's jersey and pretend nothing happened". The reaction would be insanely negative.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
A real sport is quite a bit different though. Performance can actually affect their chance of winning

I just finding interesting. People do not have that many reservations about Sin Cara, but he is a masked wrestler

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 22, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Astro7x posted:

I guess because back then guys were jumping around so much there really was a chance in a lot of peoples' minds that Nash and Hall were headed back to WWE. If you believe Nash's comments in the Monday Night War documentary WCW totally bought it, freaked out, and gave him a bigger deal cause they thought he was going back. People didn't want Razor and Diesel, they wanted Nash and Hall and were disappointed to be lied to like that even if it was part of what they were doing.

Sin Cara is nowhere near as important as Nash and Hall were at that time. So the fans don't really care about that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I also have to wonder how many casual fans even realize Sin Cara is a different dude.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
My father was convinced (or was just trying to convince me) The Undertaker wasn't the same guy after the underfaker angle. Like, as if the other guy was the original.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new episode of Countdown literally ends with a Batman '66 style cliffhanger for Survivor Series. Like the voice over asking a bunch of straight up "is this the end of our caped heroes!?!?! tune in next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel!" poo poo.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Two Beans posted:

My father was convinced (or was just trying to convince me) The Undertaker wasn't the same guy after the underfaker angle. Like, as if the other guy was the original.

He knows Paul McCartney is really dead too right?

Edit: Don't tell him about Andrew WK

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

TheJoker138 posted:

The new episode of Countdown literally ends with a Batman '66 style cliffhanger for Survivor Series. Like the voice over asking a bunch of straight up "is this the end of our caped heroes!?!?! tune in next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel!" poo poo.

I expect nothing less from Todd Pettengill

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blasmeister posted:

Also supposedly it was to demonstrate that WWE still intended to use those characters to support a lawsuit against WCW for having Hall and Nash playing their WWE personas while on Nitro.

WCW responded to WWE's fake razor and diesel..... by giving Hall and Nash a new, better contract because they were worried they'd jumped ship back to WWE. :doh:

This didn't happen. If they got a raise during this period it wasn't because of that, in fact WCW was preparing legal responses alleging the WWF was trying to make people think they were bringing back people under WCW contract. The WWF even had to announce as part of the angle that Nash and Hall were under contract to someone else.

If Nash is saying otherwise well, Kevin Nash is known to stretch the truth and gets his timelines wrong pretty regularly. He and Hall did eventually get big raises but he didn't get the pay days he says he got until later on.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

This didn't happen. If they got a raise during this period it wasn't because of that, in fact WCW was preparing legal responses alleging the WWF was trying to make people think they were bringing back people under WCW contract. The WWF even had to announce as part of the angle that Nash and Hall were under contract to someone else.

If Nash is saying otherwise well, Kevin Nash is known to stretch the truth and gets his timelines wrong pretty regularly. He and Hall did eventually get big raises but he didn't get the pay days he says he got until later on.

Yeah, Nash directly claims the WCW front office was worked by the WWF announcement and re-negotiated their contracts upward in response. File that with Kevin Nash's "All bad booking was someone else's fault/Who cares we made money off that angle."

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Two Beans posted:

I know this guy who, from the moment Kane first began wrestling unmasked regularly—and still today— insists that Kane now isn't the same guy who was the classic masked monster Kane of '98-'03.

In many ways, he's right. :smith:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Remember how there were two Ultimate Warriors?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yep, shame the first one died and was replaced by Kerry Von Erich or whatever the stupid rumor was.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looks like we're getting a MNW this week on Celebrities, and a Rivalries about HHH/HBK.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Kane that wore the mask against Undertaker isn't the same as the one that came back to get unmasked!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Astro7x posted:

a Rivalries about HHH/HBK.
God, it's gonna be the Satantango of WWE

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I kind of wish Rivalries would focus on the lesser known rivalries over the years. Austin/McMahon didn't even feel like their rivalry, more like Austin's career retrospective.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Astro7x posted:

I kind of wish Rivalries would focus on the lesser known rivalries over the years. Austin/McMahon didn't even feel like their rivalry, more like Austin's career retrospective.

I liked that the second one was Dusty/Flair, aka something they haven't completely beaten into the ground and a rivalry that a lot of their younger fans aren't familiar with. More stuff like that please WWE.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Dimebags Brain posted:

I liked that the second one was Dusty/Flair, aka something they haven't completely beaten into the ground and a rivalry that a lot of their younger fans aren't familiar with. More stuff like that please WWE.

Agreed. It was a great watch. Had no idea Flair actually idolized Dusty and he wanted to get his start as a Rhodes. That's fascinating stuff.

I'd love to get one on Sting/Flair

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I feel like tossing on some old Survivor Series to get ready for tonight but I'm not really sure what to watch. Are there any PPVs that are considered to be particularly good, or even better, and SS matches themselves that are really worth picking out and watching?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dunbar posted:

I feel like tossing on some old Survivor Series to get ready for tonight but I'm not really sure what to watch. Are there any PPVs that are considered to be particularly good, or even better, and SS matches themselves that are really worth picking out and watching?

The main event of 2001 is very good and historically important (in a way) so it's worth watching. Survivor Series is traditionally a pretty bad show so there aren't many standout cards.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

Survivor Series 88 has a really, really fun tag team Survivor Series match, meaning it was 5 tag teams vs. 5 other tag teams. The Powers of Pain, The Rockers, The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, and The Young Stallions vs. Demolition, The Brain Busters, The Bolsheviks, The Fabulous Rougeaus, and The Conquistadors. It's a very long match, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How do I switch to the Spanish language on the network (I'm watching on chrome)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It doesn't seem to be working yet, but "As Seen On YouTube" is now a section in the "Originals" header on the Network.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Good, I hope they put that prop warehouse show on.

I can't seem to find the SS Fallout they advertised. Is it up yet? Was it even worth watching?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Good, I hope they put that prop warehouse show on.

I can't seem to find the SS Fallout they advertised. Is it up yet? Was it even worth watching?

It never happened.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Seriously? They cancelled a program they'd advertised an hour before? We're talking about the same thing right, the "reaction with Vince ect" thing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

gypsyshred posted:

Seriously? They cancelled a program they'd advertised an hour before? We're talking about the same thing right, the "reaction with Vince ect" thing?

They did the same thing with another recent PPV post show.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Plans change.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everblight posted:

How do I switch to the Spanish language on the network (I'm watching on chrome)

serious question

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Added today:

quote:

As Seen On Youtube

Rybacks WrestleMania Workout - 11/14/2014
Inbox Chris Jericho - 11/14/2014
NXT Superstars in Slow Motion - 11/14/2014
Top 30 WrestleMania Moments - 11/14/2014
Top 10 Raw Grand Finales - 11/14/2014
Inbox Whats in a Name? - 11/14/2014
Roman Reigns WM Workout - 11/14/2014
100 Greatest Rumble - 11/14/2014
Top 10 Undertaker Returns - 11/14/2014
WWE Warehouse WrestleMania - 11/14/2014
Boogeyman Trick-or-Treat - 11/14/2014
Inbox What Hurts Most? - 11/14/2014
Story of the Yes! Movement - 11/14/2014
Top 10 Royal Rumble Surprises - 11/14/2014
Big E Works Out on Muscle Beach - 11/14/2014
Inbox Lets Start a Band - 11/14/2014
WWE Warehouse Million Dol. Belt - 11/14/2014
Inbox Funny Fan Experiences - 11/14/2014
WWE Warehouse Totally 90s - 11/14/2014
WWE Warehouse Undertaker - 11/14/2014
WWE Warehouse National - 11/14/2014
Top 10 Royal Rumble Fails - 11/14/2014
Triple Hs WrestleMania Workout - 11/14/2014
Top 10 Stolen Finishers - 11/14/2014
Cesaros WrestleMania Workout - 11/14/2014
Inbox RIP to Undertakers - 11/14/2014
Goldust Applies his Face Paint - 11/14/2014
Inbox Favorite Cartoons - 11/14/2014
Inbox Whole World In Their - 11/14/2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't believe they teased a PPV post-show and bailed on it again.

The WWE is very poorly organized.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

triplexpac posted:

According the the Observer, they had the Vince segment taped and everything. They just... didn't air it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Twice in a row, and the display on the Network still showed that it was coming up after the show, and then again after the replay. I guess they decided to save it for Raw (Bryan and Dave confirmed that the Vince segment was already in the can) but what a dumbo thing to do to continue to advertise it. Like we couldn't have shaved ten minutes off the multi-Diva match or something.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Swagger Dagger posted:

According the the Observer, they had the Vince segment taped and everything. They just... didn't air it.

Why? Because Survivor Series ran long.

That's the reason. The show ran long, and so they couldn't air it. On a Network they own and run.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

Why? Because Survivor Series ran long.

That's the reason. The show ran long, and so they couldn't air it. On a Network they own and run.

Can't have Legends House or the rerun of the MNW run late!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can't have the replay of Survivor Series 2014 run late!