Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Swelter Discharge posted:

if you cant win why would you even play it?

because you can get your leg chewed off by a hedgehog and pray to the gods and get a new diamond leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

El Wombato posted:

because you can get your leg chewed off by a hedgehog and pray to the gods and get a new diamond leg.

or if you are starving you can get a banana leg and eat it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Swelter Discharge posted:

if you cant win why would you even play it?

bcuz you can wish all of your limbs into magic steel and punch things w the power of gods

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Michael Jackson posted:

I lived and breathed and fanfictioned about ADOM. It is good. #f@f..

[fistpumping slowly] a.d.o.m. f. t. w.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

someone add tiles to sil

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

someone add tiles to sil

sil doesn't need tiles at all

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

sil doesn't need tiles at all

agreed, it has very nice ascii

Dec 26, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

someone add tiles to sil

think he already is

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

idk i spent like 15 years playing ascii roguelikes, don't want to go back to ascii now

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Yeah the next version is supposed to have tile support, but IDK if there are actually any tiles in the works.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
What the hell are these "rougelikes" people keep talking about?

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Leroy Dennui posted:

What the hell are these "rougelikes" people keep talking about?

durrrrrr

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

someone add tiles to sil

Sil is the only roguelike I play without tiles. It's worth it, but I'd rather it just had tiles like Brogue Tiles (my favourite tile set)

E: I played the android version of Nethack and it has the worst loving tileset for the default, but at least you can change it (or just go ascii)

Mach2 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 24, 2014

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Since I am the kind of degenerate person that dabbles in roguelikes but never finishes, this threat has inspired me to set a goal. By the end of next year I will score a win on Sil, Brogue, and DCSS. Maybe TOME but I dunno. I have won DoomRL a couple of times so while it rules I will not add it to my challenge. Wish me luck.

If I missed a good one let me know. I made it to the tower of flame once in ADOM but I didn't really like it.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Contest Winner posted:

I will score a win on Sil

Good luck my Impy brother

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Contest Winner posted:

If I missed a good one let me know.

Yea you missed IVAN

Really you could add DoomRL to the list

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i remember people talking about how pokemon mystery dungeon turns into a real roguelike in the post-game

but did you seriously play 20 hours of ugly boring horseshit so you could play ugly challenging horseshit instead.

Teridax
Nov 24, 2014

After playing a bit of Nethack, Crawl, Cataclysm DDA and DoomRL I tried Brouge for the first time the other week. I threw a dagger on a trap plate in a room full of explosive gas so I could go get a key in the back. The resulting explosion was much larger than I expected, so I was caught in it, lit on fire, and died.

This is why I play rogue-likes.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Contest Winner posted:

Since I am the kind of degenerate person that dabbles in roguelikes but never finishes, this threat has inspired me to set a goal. By the end of next year I will score a win on Sil, Brogue, and DCSS. Maybe TOME but I dunno. I have won DoomRL a couple of times so while it rules I will not add it to my challenge. Wish me luck.

If I missed a good one let me know. I made it to the tower of flame once in ADOM but I didn't really like it.

You can probably win all of those by the end of this year if you put in a few hours a day.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

As soon as I am able to pry myself from Smash Bros, I'm going to jump in to both Sil and Brogue. Hope I don't get overwhelmed.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I beat ToME 4 a bunch of times, once you know what you're doing you win most of the runs you don't get bored of, unless you're playing a really squishy class/race combo, at least that's the case on normal difficulty.

Let's say I want to get into DCSS, is there anything important I need to know? Or should I just jump in and learn?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

A Meat posted:

Let's say I want to get into DCSS, is there anything important I need to know? Or should I just jump in and learn?

Play online, the controls are a bit trickier but when you mess up and die people can watch your shame

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Can you still make yourself vomit and then stand in the vomit to melt your own legs off for a fast track to leg promotion in IVAN? I haven't played in years.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I play these games primarily to see what kind of horrifying negative effect potions it has, or to store up a load of unidentified potions and down them all at once in order to die twitching and floating in the air on fire

Whoops that was a cursed potion of alien hand syndrome and you've choked yourself to death, better luck next time

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Man Brogue has awesome ascii. I want to jump into this right now.

Are Brogue and Sil very spoiler/wiki reliant, or can I beat them without? I'm really excited to play two new roguelikes.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is nethack still the best for that?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Man Brogue has awesome ascii. I want to jump into this right now.

Are Brogue and Sil very spoiler/wiki reliant, or can I beat them without? I'm really excited to play two new roguelikes.

Not really go nuts

Dec 26, 2012

aint many modern roguelikes that rely on spoilers, not too many people wanna recreate nethack or w/e

sil in particular is really nice because it mostly puts it all out there re: mechanics pretty straightforwardly and has a very good manual if you cant sort it out yourself

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

crawl supposedly doesn't need spoilers but they still help a lot

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

tis getting alot better but if yur new to crawl its probably wise to just look up uniques on the wiki or crawldb bots w/e
normally i think this type of multitasking is annoying but in crawls case i just take a break from actually playing and read about random stuff on the wiki which is also kinda enjoyable i guess

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

everybody seems to hate the wiki for being unreliable or out of date but i thjink its really good and even if inaccurate half of the time it usually still gives u a decent idea of what kinds of shenanigans to expec t

good luck

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OP is FTL a roguelike I think it is.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

OP is FTL a roguelike I think it is.

its not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok

I can give advice on Angband I played that a ton

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

ok

I can give advice on Angband I played that a ton

whats babbys first build

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

why or why not

ive seen opinions both ways in this thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

whats babbys first build

Hahaha there's no builds

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

koolkal posted:

why or why not

ive seen opinions both ways in this thread

It's not turn based.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Evil Eagle posted:

It's not turn based.

freely pausable real-time is as closed to turn-based as makes no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
People got mad at me for saying tome was a roguelike/

• Locked thread