Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

video games matter a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Xavier434 posted:

I completely agree and that is why I would never actually allow myself to do it. However, I might try and borrow a copy just to trigger the updates early because that actually is a concern I did not think about earlier.

Christmas 1996 my brother and I opened all our gifts and were super excited to play some Twisted Metal 2 and then we opened and cabinet under the TV where the Playstation was and discovered a Nintendo 64 with Mario 64 in it. Santa had gotten 2 stars and we deleted his save so fast. It's one of my favorite memories of Christmas as a kid. So just leave the disc in the system and surprise them that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Austrian mook posted:

video games matter a lot

Not anymore. You see, now it's all about ethics in games journalism...

They should've sent a poet. :magical:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a reason why people are getting the non-Smash Gamecube controllers? Those Nintendo mascot branded ones look silly to me, so I'm guessing they have something special about them?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a reason why people are getting the non-Smash Gamecube controllers? Those Nintendo mascot branded ones look silly to me, so I'm guessing they have something special about them?

It's either because they're cheap, or because they'll function with other Wii U games (since they're technically Classic controllers and not GC controllers).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Countdown to loss.jpg appearing in Smash form.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

citizenlowell posted:

The option in the controls is tied to a custom control profile it seems. The profile appears to have to be selected every time I play, so if I forget to do that it still happens. I've noticed that even when I have selected the profile it shakes on other screens if rumble is supposed to be triggered even if it's not happening in fights. This really only applies when using the GamePad which seems to have the loudest and most clumsy rumble feature of any controller I've used. It buzzes more than it shakes. Is there a system level setting to disable it? I've always just deactivated it in a game's option menu if I was bothered by it. I'll be using the pro controller mostly so it's a non-issue, but in multiplayer sessions some one is going to have to use the pad.

I was all in on Rumble Paks in the 90s, only thing disrespectful here is the poor quality of the GamePad rumble.

Hit the HOME button on the GamePad, then Controller Settings, then Wii U GamePad > Settings, and there's a Rumble toggle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neo Rasa posted:

Countdown to loss.jpg appearing in Smash form.

Within 12 hours of the 3DS one being out.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Within 12 hours of the 3DS one being out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any way to register amiibo for Club Nintendo coins at all?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Weirdly, no.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is save data usually stored on the same device as the games? Because I think my external just died a horrible death and I really don't want to redo all the poo poo I did in Hyrule Warriors.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

All these amiibos and other NFC models, this seems like a really prime time to bring back Monster Rancher.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
One Weird Trick To Make Your Wii U Stop Crashing:

Okay, so it turns out that the Wii U 5.0 update broke a bunch of external hard drives. The Wii U will freak out and think it lost power when the drive goes into sleep mode, or sometimes just randomly, causing it to launch a black screen with the error code 160-2713. You'll probably first notice this as none of your games showing up on the Wii U menu, or the quick start menu, even when the drive is obviously connected and powered. However, it will eventually get worse, and crash while trying to read or write to the drive (downloading games, saving data, launching games, etc).

First, if you've started encountering this, you probably won't be able to actually get to settings. This is probably due to sleep mode. Unplug your HDD and plug it back in before booting up the Wii U, this should buy you enough time. (You may be able to actually enable this setting without having the drive plugged in at all, I'm not sure)

Now, go to Settings -> Data and Storage Management. Don't select either option in the menu (the data management or the formatting option). Instead, hold down on the D-Pad, +, and - at the same time for a few seconds. This will launch a box asking if you want to disable sleep mode on external hard drives. Say you want to disable it and your Wii U should work again with the external. I'm recording this for posterity in case anyone else has this problem.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 22, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, that's definitely significant and complex enough to get a spot in the OP. Cool!

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Weird. I bought Guacamelee off the eshop some time in July but only just now got a Club Nintendo survey for it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Afro posted:

Weird. I bought Guacamelee off the eshop some time in July but only just now got a Club Nintendo survey for it.

This happened to me, too! I thought I already did a survey for it...

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Jsor posted:

:words: on about a complex method of fixing external hard drives by disabling sleep mode

Yeah, this is why I buy physical copies.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 22, 2014

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Afro posted:

Huh. Same here. Reminded me to go ahead and register Smash now, rather than later when it counts for 10 coins less.

I really wish your Wii U and 3DS could freely share miis and mii fighters. I have the same NNID on both of them, so it should recognize that the same person created the Miis and Mii Fighters. Instead I transfer them over and it refuses to let me edit them. That's dumb. I want to be able to keep making Hulk Hogan's Mii fighter have progressively worse and worse defense.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, this is why I buy physical copies.

I've gotten $70 back from the Digital Deluxe Promotion :smug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I've never not had the surveys come up instantly, are you sure you're not looking at the post surveys they do for each game now also?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Neo Rasa posted:

I've never not had the surveys come up instantly, are you sure you're not looking at the post surveys they do for each game now also?

I don't know either.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure I took the survey when I purchased it on that sale a few months ago. I know 2-3 weeks ago I had nothing in my to-do list, and I haven't registered or purchased anything (on the eshop) since then. Suddenly now I had Guacamelee appear.

Also I really hope the lag in online is just part of launch weekend. Last night I had a game that was slightly laggy and I was able to be cheap and do a lot of parries with Shulk... today I was playing and it had several moments where it would just freeze for 1-2 seconds and have the loading symbol. Some guy playing Pikachu tried to edge guard me by hanging off the ledge (guess he doesn't know the change?) and I couldn't get back on to show him how dumb he was, because the lag left my character falling for 2-3 seconds before I could jump even.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, that's definitely significant and complex enough to get a spot in the OP. Cool!

You talkin about Kirby dickbutt right

Wait this isn't the Smash thread.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dr. Dos posted:

Christmas 1996 my brother and I opened all our gifts and were super excited to play some Twisted Metal 2 and then we opened and cabinet under the TV where the Playstation was and discovered a Nintendo 64 with Mario 64 in it. Santa had gotten 2 stars and we deleted his save so fast. It's one of my favorite memories of Christmas as a kid. So just leave the disc in the system and surprise them that way.

I do something similar when I buy the kids Steam games. I change the background wallpaper of the PC to be something similar to the games I buy them and customize it so it looks like Santa made the wallpaper

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Xavier434 posted:

I do something similar when I buy the kids Steam games. I change the background wallpaper of the PC to be something similar to the games I buy them and customize it so it looks like Santa made the wallpaper

Nice, I guess it makes sense for Santa to be tech savvy. With the whiskey, cookies and carrot for rudolf you should leave a note with your wifi name and password so he can check on twitter.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Shelf Adventure posted:

Nice, I guess it makes sense for Santa to be tech savvy. With the whiskey, cookies and carrot for rudolf you should leave a note with your wifi name and password so he can check on twitter.

He is Santa. He doesn't need to be tech savvy. He is magic.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I do love the idea of Santa hanging around for a little bit and playing with the toys before he drops them off. Imagining Santa playing Mario 64 and earning a couple stars while drinking his milk & cookies is just the most adorable thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cool I picked up a new wii u, hmm the hard drive is only 32GB I guess the games aren't too big

"Bayonetta 2: 17GB/22GB available"

Lol

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cool I picked up a new wii u, hmm the hard drive is only 32GB I guess the games aren't too big

"Bayonetta 2: 17GB/22GB available"

Lol

Yeah but at least you get to use any hard drive you want instead of something expensive and proprietary.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

How come I can only save my Smash Wii U snapshots to an SD card and not

you know

my 2TB hard drive?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kaubocks posted:

How come I can only save my Smash Wii U snapshots to an SD card and not

you know

my 2TB hard drive?

because it's not an sd card

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cameras have SD cards, duh.

My guess is they want people to transfer photos from their SD card? Its dumb, complain about it and they'll probably patch it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does anyone happen to know how big Captain Toad is going to be? Seems like a game to keep on the system, or at the very least, a game to not occupy the disc drive at all times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would probably guess 2-4 GB.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah but at least you get to use any hard drive you want instead of something expensive and proprietary.

I plugged in a really old 160GB one and it didn't work though :/ it still works on my PC but the wii u won't recognize it.

That and the post above saying external hard drives are crashing Wii Us at the moment kind of scared me off of getting a new one at the moment.

Can you just plug in a 64gig memory stick or something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

enojy posted:

Does anyone happen to know how big Captain Toad is going to be? Seems like a game to keep on the system, or at the very least, a game to not occupy the disc drive at all times.

The JP version is just shy of 2GB.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The JP version is just shy of 2GB.

Nice! eShop it is, then!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you just plug in a 64gig memory stick or something?

It's not recommended by Nintendo but mine is working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

enojy posted:

Exactly 1264MB

• Locked thread