Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just assumed "paid with a sword" was a euphemism for getting run through repeatedly by Roger Mudd's donger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just assumed "paid with a sword" was a euphemism for getting run through repeatedly by Roger Mudd's donger

👉

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Let's just say I'm the movant and he's the respondent

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tau posted:

How many twisties are there and do you drive a Hachi-Roku or a Miata?

There are about 2 miles of pretty busy and another 3 or so more spread out. I usually drive a Tauru-S. I also have a TR-7 that throws into stark contrast the improvements in engine, suspension, tires and braking between the malaise era and even the late 90s/early 2000s.
Miatas hold their value too well for me to get one.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.
Just passed the California bar after puking my way through day 1. I have no idea how I did it or if the website made a mistake or something. Now I'll be deadly paranoid until they mail the actual results.

I am going to drink myself unconscious.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stop posted:

Congrats! Also, new thread title?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soylent Pudding posted:

Congrats! Also, new thread title?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Stop posted:

Just passed the California bar after puking my way through day 1. I have no idea how I did it or if the website made a mistake or something. Now I'll be deadly paranoid until they mail the actual results.

:thumbsup:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously my wife got a job as a paralegal for $80k and you don't even need a college degree for that (although she has a MS in Chemistry and its a patent paralegal) and people are talking about being lawyers for $30k

Dint go to law school

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm so glad WJ has a new topic to backdoor brag about

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm so glad WJ has a new topic to backdoor brag about

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
That plus telling people to not go to law school because compare your life to mine then kill yourself as Abraham Lincoln once said

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 23, 2014

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I always like that quote:

You never really understand a person until you walk a mile in his shoes. Because you can't afford a car. Or shoes. Because you went to law school.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

First bar complaint against me by a pro se person! He somehow emailed it to my entire firm too.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

quote:

The Kansas Supreme Court agreed, unanimously ruling to disbar. Hawver said earlier this year, however, he wasn’t really sweating losing his license because he was planning on leaving the legal profession anyway in order “to devote his time to growing vegetables in an aquaponics garden.” “I don’t think practicing law is productive,” he said.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/11/23/kansas_lawyer_dressed_as_thomas_jefferson_in_court_gets_disbarred.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewj3aj9Zbfk

quote:

Hawver said the strategy of Cheatham—who he described as "an experienced and highly street-smart and intelligent criminal" who was a cocaine dealer convicted of killing another "dope dealer"—was to tell jurors that if he had killed two women in 2003, he wouldn't have left alive a third shooting victim to identify him to police. The survivor was shot eight times by the real gunman to convince her to identify Cheatham as the killer, Hawver said in explaining the trial strategy.
Hawver had never previously tried a capital murder case and had not tried a murder case in more than 20 years … He was unfamiliar with ABA guidelines for trying capital murder cases. At trial, he informed the jury his client had previously been convicted of voluntary manslaughter, even though prosecutors agreed to a stipulation that the client had a prior felony conviction without further details … In an affidavit, Hawver also said he failed to seek dismissal of the capital charge after the Kansas Supreme Court struck down the death penalty scheme.

http://votesmart.org/candidate/biography/54259/dennis-hawver#.VHMH1YvTGFc

quote:

Education
JD, Washburn University School of Law, 1974
BA, History, Washburn University, Topeka, 1965

Political Experience
Candidate, United States House of Representatives, District 2, 2012
Candidate, Kansas State Attorney General, 2010
Candidate, Governor of Kansas, 2002, 2006
Candidate, United States House of Representatives, Kansas, District 2, 2000, 2004

Professional Experience
Attorney, Law Office of Dennis Hawver, 1975-present
Captain, Combat Intelligence Officer, United States Air Force, 1966-1971

Religious, Civic, and other Memberships
Member, Third Judicial District, Defense Counsel
Member, Jefferson County Bar Association, 1996-2002
Member, Kansas Bar Association, 1975-2002
Member, American Mensa, 1989-2000

http://www.examiner.com/article/dennis-hawver-libertarian-for-congress-kansas-s-2nd-congressional-district

quote:

My name is Dennis Hawver, and I am the Libertarian candidate for U.S. Congress, Second District, Kansas. I was born in 1943 in Topeka Kansas I graduated from Topeka High in 1961, Washburn University with a bachelor’s degree in history and political science in 1965, and Washburn Law School in 1974.
My hobbies include organic gardening, and achieving food self-sufficiency, distance running, (6 Marathons), Blue water ocean sailing, including attempting in 2008, to sail solo nonstop around the world on a 31 foot sailboat, and running for political office. Some people go fishing, and some play golf, I like to ask politicians questions from the podium instead of from the audience.

Dante fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 24, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

First bar complaint against me by a pro se person! He somehow emailed it to my entire firm too.

Cheers! What's the complaint? "The other side did something I don't understand so clearly he's a liar who needs to lose his license"?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Cheers! What's the complaint? "The other side did something I don't understand so clearly he's a liar who needs to lose his license"?

Yeah, pretty much. I told my client what the law allows him to do, he did so, we won the case, and the opposing party is mad.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I told my client what the law allows him to do, he did so, we won the case, and the opposing party is mad.

A Badge of Honor.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're not a real lawyer until someone has made a bullshit complaint against you

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

You're not a real lawyer until someone has made a bullshit complaint against you

When they complain to their Congressman, you know you've arrived.

Also..."accordingly we affirm the conviction." I think that's earned me at least 5 hours worth of loving off to go play dragon age.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Speaking of dragon age, how do I get lady joesephina to give it up, need to see them petticoats

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Speaking of dragon age, how do I get lady joesephina to give it up, need to see them petticoats

dunno...still trying to get me some sweet sweet five second virgin templar lovin' from cullen.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What us Dragon age, why do all the lawyers in this thread play it, and do you think my sorry work computer can run it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What us Dragon age, why do all the lawyers in this thread play it, and do you think my sorry work computer can run it.

a. a bioware game.
b. because it's loving awesome.
c. no.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

dunno...still trying to get me some sweet sweet five second virgin templar lovin' from cullen.

he wonbt take me to poundtown b/c im a dwarf or something #thestruggleisreal

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

he wonbt take me to poundtown b/c im a dwarf or something #thestruggleisreal

i think he's like alister. hetero lovin' only. Cassandra isn't down with the ladies...but she's got the short hair?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

dont stifle me with your gender binaries bioware, i am a genderfluid transfemme dwarf with a lush beard and i demand access to sludgecannons and slopholes of all colours and creeds

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

dont stifle me with your gender binaries bioware, i am a genderfluid transfemme dwarf with a lush beard and i demand access to sludgecannons and slopholes of all colours and creeds

there's actually discussion of this in the Inquisition thread. I suggested that for reality sake, there should be at least one NPC who is so obviously hetero that hitting on them gets you punched. This apparently was the wrong thing to say because...what you just said.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Far Cry is better, play that

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Go golfing, you nerds. Jesus.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Can't. the two month window where it is safe or advisable to voluntarily expose yourself to Michigan weather has passed. alcoholism and simulated dwarf-on-minotaur loving are all i have left

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

blarzgh posted:

Golf owns. My goal is to get to a plus index before I'm done clerking because I won't have any time to play in private practice.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Whoops double post

Omerta fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 24, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Soothing Vapors posted:

alcoholism and simulated dwarf-on-minotaur loving are all i have left

I take back my previous vote and instead vote this for our next thread title.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

blarzgh posted:

Unironically learning to golf now, poo poo is bizarre.

Played squash since college though so as far as yuppie stuff goes I'm covered.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I played a video game once. It was the Kim Kardashian simulator and I got like 7 months in before I pricked my rear end on a sharp table corner and it blew up like a tire propelling me into the outer stratosphere

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

Unironically learning to golf now, poo poo is bizarre.

Played squash since college though so as far as yuppie stuff goes I'm covered.

..., polo, and croquet.

What are the only 4 sports one can play with a sweater tied around one's shoulders?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Golf is a meditative experience. Its the only sport where you can talk to the ball, mid flight, and sometimes the ball will listen.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

blarzgh posted:

Golf is a meditative experience. Its the only sport where you can talk to the ball, mid flight, and sometimes the ball will listen.

False: baseball. Also jai alai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

Proof that I need to chill out and play golf.