Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
is anyone else irrationally frustrated by that one really common BGM that's just three notes over and over

also why does 2-player make the game look like pixel vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
guys i think the groose dream is fading

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lessail posted:

we have to wait for the skyward sword pack bro.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lessail posted:

It was always a longshot, but we can keep hope alive, and until then, there is mailman Link and the Dominion Rod.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Excels posted:

is anyone else irrationally frustrated by that one really common BGM that's just three notes over and over

The one that's basically Mars, the Bringer of War by Gustav Holst? Yeah, that one gets irritating. Fortunately there's that option to change the BGM.

quote:

also why does 2-player make the game look like pixel vomit

Because they realized that a smooth framerate is better than looking pretty.

Having burned myself out on Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for a while (getting all the Mystic Weapons is just so time consuming), I went back to this game. I'm still trying to clean up the last few bits of the Adventure Map, mostly heart pieces/containers at this point though I still have five gold Skulltulas left, as well as those drat level 3 Gate/Parasol levels.

I did start using that water shield as Sheik and you guys are right, it's ridiculously good. It's a shame I can't use it for those last few Skulltulas since they're in levels limited to specific characters. I do have another Sheik question though. What does her Light strong attack do? It makes a square of light and at first I thought maybe it was a "damage enemies as long as they're standing in it," and maybe it is but the enemies had a lot of health, but it doesn't seem to really do anything as far as I can tell.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

I do have another Sheik question though. What does her Light strong attack do? It makes a square of light and at first I thought maybe it was a "damage enemies as long as they're standing in it," and maybe it is but the enemies had a lot of health, but it doesn't seem to really do anything as far as I can tell.

It charges your special meter.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It fills your special attack gauge while you stand in it. It is extremely good to do at the beginning of a map, obviously. Do the light combo, then light song, then water combo while standing in it, then water song, then light combo again to stock it, and suddenly you have two bars and another special recharge stocked while only taking like 15 or so seconds.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, the Gauntlets are loving good. They turned Link from 'good but kinda boring' to 'unkillable death god'.

I did the level 3 gauntlet level and somehow got a C in damage even though I never saw my health move, most frustrating thing ever. There's SO MANY ENEMIES in it though and when you're swinging around you're getting like 50 kills at a time, it's loads of fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I did it, I got all the heart containers in Adventure and Legend mode. I also just need to A-Rank Adventure Mode's Defeat The Demon King and I'll have done all of those too.

And then it'll be on to the last 5 Heart Containers in Master Quest... which include some of the worst levels in the game. Hoo boy. I think I might need to wait until I've leveled up even more from the next DLC for some of them - like "Watch out for Artillery Fire" with Zant... with two recommended elements he doesn't have. That just seems unfair.

Bicyclops posted:

Does anybody have any advice on top row, 3rd column from the left? You have to B rank it to get into that last corner of four and I am pretty sure I could play this for the rest of my life and my base would still get taken. I just can't kill everything fast enough.

(Normal adventure mode map.)

I keep forgetting to respond to you about this. Are you using Midna? Because use Midna. Don't worry about A-ranking it for Ruto's heart container right now since you just want to unlock the other stages and Midna is basically pure destruction and has the recommended element for that stage.

I don't remember it being difficult at all though so I don't have any actual tips.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 22, 2014

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Master Quest A-Ranks aren't that much harder than the regular map ones... since they're just the same fight. The only ones I've had trouble with were the maps were enemies had a poo poo ton of health? You should be fine, I think

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Master Quest A-Ranks aren't that much harder than the regular map ones... since they're just the same fight. The only ones I've had trouble with were the maps were enemies had a poo poo ton of health? You should be fine, I think

The Zant one is so much harder because he's Zant and he has the recommended elements actively working against him.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought the recommended elements were only for those defensive badges?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nope, they affect the damage your weapons do as well.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I may or may not have blanked out several fights after clearing the entire Master Map quest yeah

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Re

Regy Rusty posted:

Really? Well, poo poo, I'll have to keep that in mind. I've just been using Epona for everything.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

are there any levels where the limitations imposed by 2-player make a mission easier to do by yourself

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If you want to A-Rank adventure mode, playing as 2 on some maps can be complicated because it spawns less enemies

Other than that not really

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you sure about this? Does it say it in some tutorial I didn't read?

Also, the only weapon I have left to unlock is the lv 3 Great Fairy, and ugh. I hate that weapon. Luckily on my first attempt a 5* lv2 fairy dropped with an extra slot, so that was nice. It has Water+ and Fire+ which might be helpful. My biggest problem is killing generals. Zant, Ghirahim and Cia each take a really long time to kill. Plus they keep throwing Siege captains, fortifier captains, and then healers at you. It's a brutal map.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are you sure about this? Does it say it in some tutorial I didn't read?

Test it yourself with any character who has multiple weapons. Using the recommended element always kills things way faster, even if it is at a lower tier.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

great fairy is ridiculous at wiping out enemies, i got like 2500 KOs in one mission with a T1 fairy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Excels posted:

great fairy is ridiculous at wiping out enemies, i got like 2500 KOs in one mission with a T1 fairy

But all of her attacks take FOREVER

and killing trash mobs is the easy part, I racked up like 2000+ kills. It's just loving stupid because officers/generals take FOREVER

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
I think when I beat that map it was by just ignoring everything. Rush the marked keeps, then go straight to the enemy base. The great fairy's attacks are all AoE, so you should still get enough KOs just from collateral damage while fighting the enemy commander.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

But all of her attacks take FOREVER

That's my biggest problem with Great Fairy is that her attack animations are so long. I haven't touched the Great Fairy weapon after I A-ranked the level 3 stage.

One last question about weapons. Zelda's baton. So, I asked in the regular DW thread about the baton and how it works way back when the game first came out. I understand that when you attack enemies, some of them get those pink tornadoes on them, and when you use the strong attack button, if you steer your whirlwind towards the pink ones, it causes it to get bigger.

However I swear when I first was using the weapon, I somehow got it to spit out a full-powered tornado from pressing the strong attack button, without hitting any pink tornadoes. I haven't been able to do it since though. I'm willing to accept that maybe there were two enemies with pink tornadoes right in front of me that I didn't notice, and it hit them and became max powered right away because of it, but I want to make sure. Is there any other way to get a full powered tornado from the strong attack button or not?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Llednar Twem posted:

I think when I beat that map it was by just ignoring everything. Rush the marked keeps, then go straight to the enemy base. The great fairy's attacks are all AoE, so you should still get enough KOs just from collateral damage while fighting the enemy commander.

Prey much this. I never bothered with the fortifier captains or healers and just got all the keeps. I think I did get the named characters and killed them by dropping all the bombs and occasionally using the normal combo for weak point smashes. Great Fairy is amazing.

Also, has anyone actually managed o A-rank the kill 1000 enemies map? How in the world are you supposed to do that in 7 min?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If you're referring to the top left of the normal adventure map, I just cheesed it with Link and the Master Sword with Evil's Bane unlocked, I spammed C2, though anyone with massive AoE could probably do it (Cia comes to mind)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Aw, yeah, I got Darunia's level 3 hammer. Part of it was learning how to use his spin attack (it goes from pointless to all-powerful once you figure out how you're supposed to use it) and the other half was patiently repeating until I was able to get through without taking too much damage.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Kill all enemies + "don't get hit"....seriously master quest?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Also, has anyone actually managed o A-rank the kill 1000 enemies map? How in the world are you supposed to do that in 7 min?

I used Fi's C4 before the DLC hit, but Cia would also be really good there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, doing Ruto's level 3 mission, and agh fighting Zant is an exercise in frustration.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was finally able to beat Agitha's level 3 weapon mission. Now all that's left is that stupid loving gate. I just don't see how to do it. The gate is so goddamn slow that when I go after Impa, she's able to get a ton of hits on me while I can barely hit her at all because of the ridiculously slow attack animations. I ended up getting over 10,000 damage from the attempt I made.

I'm also having major trouble getting Darunia's heart piece from the Travel Memories quiz, and getting Agitha's from the Royalty quiz. The former tears Darunia apart during the Volga/Wizzro battle, and the later isn't too bad until the Darunia/Zelda battle. Using the Boomerang to stun enemies helps a little but not enough.

I just realized I've never gotten a gold material from the Imprisoned either, which is annoying because a couple of characters apparently need it (I think I have two characters that have question marks for a gold material). Well, just gotta keep my fingers crossed for material boosting mixtures in the next update I suppose.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh man, I just played Daruna for the first time and his victory dance at the end of a mission is the best! THE BEST!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You know what's the best? Darunia's C4. Giant explosions every day!!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The Summoning Gate tactic is thus:

Spam charge attacks until you get Argorok. You can spam them directly on top of the general you're fighting (the gate's animation causes damage and you can dodge-cancel it and keep dancing around and summoning), or you can run away and spam the charge attack and the summons that aren't Argorok will generaly keep the enemy away with their projectiles. Either/or. Once you have Argorok, use C5 to summon and ride him; ride the fire stream repeatedly over the general you're fighting and finish up with a fireball if you can. If you're spam-summoning on top of the person you're fighting and you get Manhandla, bust out a C5 anyway while the enemy general is slowed down from the poison cloud and Argorok will blast them witha straight-line fire charge which they won't block because the poison cloud slows them down too much.

If you want to go weak point busting on non-giant bosses, again, charge attack summon right on top of them. I think three of the summons (I think Argorok is the only one that won't? But just follow up with a C5 anyway) will juggle them automatically and annihilate their meter in one go.

Having Strength V, Fire+ and Strong Attack+ is a great help too.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 23, 2014

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

You know what else is the best? The boss animation for Ruto.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The best thing is doing Volga's C5 into a mob of enemies. It may be slow, but it's a very visceral attack.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Spam charge attacks until you get Argorok. You can spam them directly on top of the general you're fighting (the gate's animation causes damage and you can dodge-cancel it and keep dancing around and summoning), or you can run away and spam the charge attack and the summons that aren't Argorok will generaly keep the enemy away with their projectiles. Either/or. Once you have Argorok, use C5 to summon and ride him; ride the fire stream repeatedly over the general you're fighting and finish up with a fireball if you can. If you're spam-summoning on top of the person you're fighting and you get Manhandla, bust out a C5 anyway while the enemy general is slowed down from the poison cloud and Argorok will blast them witha straight-line fire charge which they won't block because the poison cloud slows them down too much.

If you want to go weak point busting on non-giant bosses, again, charge attack summon right on top of them. I think three of the summons (I think Argorok is the only one that won't? But just follow up with a C5 anyway) will juggle them automatically and annihilate their meter in one go.

wait, you can shoot a big fireball with Argorok?

Also, when I summon him, the camera freaks out and I end up having a hard time hitting someone if I am locked onto them. I beat the mission already, but I didn't know that. It probably would've helped.

Cobalt Chloride posted:

You know what else is the best? The boss animation for Ruto.

Who plays with boss animations turned on in Adventure mode??

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

wait, you can shoot a big fireball with Argorok?

Yup just press Charge again when riding him and you'll expend the rest of your riding time to do a big fireball, after which he flies off.

E: And yeah don't lock on when doing Argorok spam, I forgot. Been a while since I used the Gate.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 24, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Who plays with boss animations turned on in Adventure mode??

apparently you have to have it for Zant missions, since you can exploit a pretty easy glitch that makes his invincible spin last as long as you can mash the button

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'll be contrary and say that I actually like the Manhandala combo a lot more than Aragok. The thing is, the Gate is slow and the time it takes to perform the combo is time captains/Impa can use to get right in your face and smack you/avoid any damage because Aragok doesn't hit dudes right in front of you. I also don't like aiming him.

It might be good for quickly clearing large crowds, but when say fighting Impa in a keep for the level 3 mission, I like popping the Manhandala poison cloud between Lana and Impa while on opposite sides of the keep, which will generally slow her down enough/position her right for the powered up Manhandala combo, which is only needs two weak attacks, and is good at keeping people back and dealing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I'll be contrary and say that I actually like the Manhandala combo a lot more than Aragok. The thing is, the Gate is slow and the time it takes to perform the combo is time captains/Impa can use to get right in your face and smack you/avoid any damage because Aragok doesn't hit dudes right in front of you. I also don't like aiming him.

It might be good for quickly clearing large crowds, but when say fighting Impa in a keep for the level 3 mission, I like popping the Manhandala poison cloud between Lana and Impa while on opposite sides of the keep, which will generally slow her down enough/position her right for the powered up Manhandala combo, which is only needs two weak attacks, and is good at keeping people back and dealing damage.

I just think the powered Manhandla combo takes about three years too long. Once you get good at Argorok juggling, it's a lot faster and more damaging. It just melts health bars like they're not even there. Strong attack Manhandla is good, yes, but the powered combo is probably my pick for worst of the four.

The thing with the fire stream is enemy captains worth a drat are going to tech out of it and flip over you, so you have to learn to spin in a tight little circle to catch them again. Once you've got that down you just need to learn the range on the fireball and you barely have to stop maving to kill captains if you get lucky with the Charge lottery.

I dunno, different styles maybe, but I think the order of usefulness of the powered combos is Argorok (boss killer) > Gohma (Crowd clearer) > Dodongo (slightly less crowd clearing) > Manhandla (meh).

• Locked thread