Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
...So, is the guide William Shakespeare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
W + hat eye Z = what I see?

U shoe = you sure? use your?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

GilliamYaeger posted:

...So, is the guide William Shakespeare?

The guide is Elvis.

He did say he was royalty after all.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I have today off. I usually use the weekend to record my filthy casual youtube channel, but it looks like this week I'll be putting together a solution page or five, because we are NEARLY DONE!

There's very few rooms left to explore.

Thought I'd let you all know.

Tenebrais posted:

I think your map is missing the room 6 exit from room 17?

*grumble grumble*

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Looking at the rooms, some of them have a lot of text. I find it most likely that each room contains puzzle, which will give us one or two letters of the solution, rather than all the text in the rooms necessarily being part of the answer.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I think so too, but therein lies a problem: there's just so much text. How do we know what's part of the puzzle and what's a red herring?

Also, the "wood row" connection is brilliant (plus, it's sitting on top of Will... okay maybe that's a little far-fetched). Can't believe I missed that. He was even the 28th president, indicating 28. But we'll wait for tomorrow to vote on that...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also, the "wood row" connection is brilliant (plus, it's sitting on top of Will... okay maybe that's a little far-fetched). Can't believe I missed that. He was even the 28th president, indicating 28. But we'll wait for tomorrow to vote on that...

I think covering the word "Will" next to the picture of a sun is a better way to get his name.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

A horseshoe and a regular shoe. Shoes? "Choose"?
A chair and a hat. Seat-hat? "See that"?

That's definitely not a horseshoe (a horseshoe is rounded at the open end).
'Hatcher' might be another combination of hat & chair, but I do like 'see that' if we're building a sentence.

There's a salt and/or pepper image in every other room along the path in (not including 45). That is striking, but doesn't have a clear meaning except as breadcrumbs to the path.

The shadows in Room 4 look a bit weird. There are two light sources on the candle, and some other shadows seem to be from one or the other. Possibly the stars overhead are giving off light? I'm also curious about the 'sconces' that seem to be hands holding something. That could be a clue to the fake staff leading to Door 17, though. [e: Looking again I think those could be knives]

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 23, 2014

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Our choice here seems, rather like the "awl or nun" decision, fairly binary. We've got the inward path worked out, the outward path vaguely sketched, and a lot of clues, many of which might be extraneous. The real question here is how are we going to eventually catalog, and then begin discarding, all of these pointers and pitfalls?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think so too, but therein lies a problem: there's just so much text. How do we know what's part of the puzzle and what's a red herring?

Let me help. It's been a while, but in the "Dirrections" page...

Once you’ve found the shortest path in and out of the Maze, challenge yourself further. Go back and find the riddle hidden in room 45. The answer to that riddle is concealed somewhere on the shortest path.

Alright, where were we?

Ah, yes. I said I would provide the hints. These may help sort out the Riddle.

Henry Holt and Company posted:

1. I’ll tip my hat if the two of you can solve this.
2. You can get into these two shoes only if you don’t go anywhere.
3. You will find two names on the table, and they go together like doughnut and hole.
4. You must choose between two pictures.
5. There are no two ways you can read this sign.
6. You can see that another two pictures demonstrate their own kind of symmetry.

Edit: It occurred to me that some may not want hints, so I've added spoiler tags.

As the author has said, the Answer lies somewhere in the 16 rooms that make up the shortest path, but knowning what I know now, I feel that the Path has a separate riddle. The Riddle of the Path happens to lead to the same answer as the Riddle of the Room.

Speaking of which, you may continue to theorize if you like, but it is time to complete this Maze and discover just what the shortest path is.

Let's take a look at our map.

Yes, thank you. I did not realize my map was incomplete. :argh:

There are only two doors in the center of the maze we have not explored.
Door 23 and Door 28.

You have roughly 24 hours.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 23, 2014

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

3.You will find two names on the table, and they go together like doughnut and hole.
I think we've already touched on this but we have: "____Iam Shakespeare" and "Woodrow ____Son". I imagine they are the doughnuts, and the hole is "Will"

4.You must choose between two pictures.
I think this refers to Awl or Nun.

After reading hint 2, it seems like that is definitely a horseshoe. Assuming nothing in this room is a red herring, the chair makes me curious. I'm reminded of the room where the guide states that 3 people can sit down, but there are only two chairs.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Reiz posted:

I think this refers to Awl or Nun.

All or none?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Could the end of the riddle be 'what __ I'? There's the eye for the I, the hat and the w. I want to say what am I but I dont have the am. It could be 'what will I' type of thing too.

Reiz posted:

After reading hint 2, it seems like that is definitely a horseshoe. Assuming nothing in this room is a red herring, the chair makes me curious. I'm reminded of the room where the guide states that 3 people can sit down, but there are only two chairs.

The other kind of shoe might be a loafer?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 23, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The chair stands opposite the big W. Seat + W = Sweat? I can't think of any other way to combine them into a clue.

The eye picture is looking at that big Z. No idea what that's about yet.

I'm gonna guess each element of the room forms a word in the statement of the riddle. We're pretty sure of Will, we've got All or None.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Room 28 please. The sign in the door... ELUI, or ELVI? Or ELUN or ELVN? Any which way, it's more interesting looking than 23.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iunnrais posted:

Room 28 please. The sign in the door... ELUI, or ELVI? Or ELUN or ELVN? Any which way, it's more interesting looking than 23.

Maybe an anagram. EVIL?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
"All or none" and "will" are almost certainly part of it, but the rest I'm still not sure on.

But for now, let's go on to Room 28.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It could just be due to imperfect artistic technique, but one thing I noticed is that the shoe (the one for humans) in room 45 looks like it's abnormally large compared to the other features of the room.

Also, what kind of hat is that underneath the nun? My mind first jumped to "bowler" but I know that's wrong.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

28 looks like the way to go.

As for the hints:
1.Almost certainly W ('two of u'), suggesting W+hat = What
2.Hope that really isn't supposed to be a horseshoe. Not sure what to make of the clue either way
3 & 4 I think are covered by Reiz.
5 & 6 Likely refer to the eye, 'Elv[is]' and 'Z'. Eye and Z/N have symmetry, and the Elvis looks like a one-way sign.

My partial guess, if these are in order. It doesn't make sense yet, though.
What ____ (will/we'll) all (the king/Elvis/of us/IA73) (eye/I) (see/in/N)

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 23, 2014

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
"Why" seems likely. The hint alludes to symmetry between the question mark and eye pictures, and the W is right by the Eye.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
W + hat [WILL] eye Z ?

W + hat AM I ?

I AM awl loafer U

awl or nun => Much Ado About Nothing?

Elvis has left the building?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Kangra posted:

28 looks like the way to go.

As for the hints:
1.Almost certainly W ('two of u'), suggesting W+hat = What
2.Hope that really isn't supposed to be a horseshoe. Not sure what to make of the clue either way
3 & 4 I think are covered by Reiz.
5 & 6 Likely refer to the eye, 'Elv[is]' and 'Z'. Eye and Z/N have symmetry, and the Elvis looks like a one-way sign.

My partial guess, if these are in order. It doesn't make sense yet, though.
What ____ (will/we'll) all (the king/Elvis/of us/IA73) (eye/I) (see/in/N)

I like this line of thinking. Still puzzled by 2, but some thoughts.

What (two of you + hat)
???
3. You will find two names on the table, and they go together like doughnut and hole.
Will (woodrow ___sun/___iam shakespear)
All (awl or nun)
Live (anagram ELVI. or evil, elvi, vile, etc.)
6. You can see that another two pictures demonstrate their own kind of symmetry.
In (eye + N pictures)

What ____ will all live in

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

i81icu812 posted:

I like this line of thinking. Still puzzled by 2, but some thoughts.

What (two of you + hat)
???
Will (woodrow ___sun/___iam shakespear)
All (awl or nun)
Live (anagram ELVI. or evil, elvi, vile, etc.)
In (eye + N pictures)

What ____ will all live in

I think I got what number 2 was supposed to be. Or rather, the only thing that kind of makes a legible sentence, anyway.

There are two shoes here, one normal one a human would wear, and a U-Shaped "shoe" a horse would wear. "You" aren't going anywhere with one shoe meant for a human and one for a horse. So since there were word-play and letter re-arranging going on in the previous and later examples, I'm going to assume that there is a red herring or something being pulled here, and that it wants us to take "SHOE" and "U" and anagram them up to make "HOUSE".

What house will all live in?

Kind of an oddly structured sentence, but its a complete thought and question...

Is it right, though?

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
Room 28

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Faust IX posted:

Kind of an oddly structured sentence, but its a complete thought and question...

Is it right, though?

If you add in the word "we" you get a grammatically-correct sentence that also seems to be asking about the nature of the maze.

I think we've got it.

Room 28

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Faust IX posted:

I think I got what number 2 was supposed to be. Or rather, the only thing that kind of makes a legible sentence, anyway.

There are two shoes here, one normal one a human would wear, and a U-Shaped "shoe" a horse would wear. "You" aren't going anywhere with one shoe meant for a human and one for a horse. So since there were word-play and letter re-arranging going on in the previous and later examples, I'm going to assume that there is a red herring or something being pulled here, and that it wants us to take "SHOE" and "U" and anagram them up to make "HOUSE".

Is it right, though?

Yeah, seems pretty solid, though not perfect. Maybe I'll be more confident if we corroborate this from another angle? So I guess we'd better start working on the path riddle, though I imagine we'd need to see the last two rooms first.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Actually that ends up making 'none' an equally likely possibility.

Although it sort of sounds more like a joke with 'none' than a riddle. Unless 'live' is important, i.e. it is a mausoleum or something similar. That seems too obvious, though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kangra posted:

Actually that ends up making 'none' an equally likely possibility.

Although it sort of sounds more like a joke with 'none' than a riddle. Unless 'live' is important, i.e. it is a mausoleum or something similar. That seems too obvious, though.

No, I think it makes more sense. What house will none live in? The answer is obviously this maze, which has been referred to many times as a house. This is the house none will live in.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 23, 2014

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

No, I think it makes more sense. What house will none live in? The answer is obviously this maze, which has been referred to many times as a house. This is the house none will live in.

That's a fairly...dark...answer if it is. But then again, how many ways have we nearly gotten thrown into the basement trying to get into room 45? Or at least derailed into getting into a path that would lead you to room 24.

An amusing speculation if it's the right sentence, even though I know this can't possibly be the right answer: The Maze's riddle, as stated in the OP itself, is solved in four very specific words. I have no idea what they actually ARE, but if it is "What house will we all live in?", I think the answer might be [The House] Of The Rising Sun. The guide is averse to sunlight, as he claims in the beginning room and a few of the outside rooms, it's the ruin of many a poor unfortunate sap who gets lured into the basement, and The Maze is nothing but the ultimate gamble, isn't it?

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

Faust IX posted:

That's a fairly...dark...answer if it is. But then again, how many ways have we nearly gotten thrown into the basement trying to get into room 45? Or at least derailed into getting into a path that would lead you to room 24.

An amusing speculation if it's the right sentence, even though I know this can't possibly be the right answer: The Maze's riddle, as stated in the OP itself, is solved in four very specific words. I have no idea what they actually ARE, but if it is "What house will we all live in?", I think the answer might be [The House] Of The Rising Sun. The guide is averse to sunlight, as he claims in the beginning room and a few of the outside rooms, it's the ruin of many a poor unfortunate sap who gets lured into the basement, and The Maze is nothing but the ultimate gamble, isn't it?

Well, if it's a matter of the house we all/none live in, I think it's probably our planet or universe, or even something about the afterlife? The clue we have so far makes me look at the clues in previous rooms a different way!

If we can use hyper crab tank's post as a easy to read guide and the correct path to compare the rooms we think are important, and words/letters are key like they say, then in the first two rooms we have "Like (possibly the), and then salt-a, or atlas. Saturn and the moon in this room also help confirm something about Atlas. Atlas is usually seen in myth carrying the heavens or the world on his back for eternity.

After that though I have no idea what the words would be. In the room after the theater there's f, o, and u and I don't see how those play together or with the letters in the rooms even further in, so maybe this is just a red herring. Or it's a word scramble and you just need to get all the letters and organize it rather than find them in order. Beh.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

You guys are amazing.

Still there's more to discover. The votes were few, but not for bad reasons. Thus, while you continue to discus the riddle, let's move on into...

Room 28

…a spacious room with a hole in the floor. A ladder led down into the shadows. Outside, leaves shook in the wind. They didn’t like the look of that hole in the floor.

“Too dark down there!” they cried. “Who knows what’s at the bottom.” They looked at me again.

“Probably a room of some kind,” I volunteered quickly. “But you know what I say about appearances.” It would have been a relief to get outside for a while.

They wanted to know if they had been here before…. How could I answer that?

“I have the strangest feeling of déjà vu,” said one who, bolder than the rest, led us into…

I would not be fooled if I were you. This room tries to be important, but meh. It's here, anyway.

Now we've already been to room 43.

Let's take a look at our map.

Door 23 is stil available, and clearly accessible from two rooms.
There is also Door 32 which, in fact, is a ladder.

One of these doors will take you to both.

You have roughly 24 hours.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
New room stuff:

All 3 paintings have hats of some sort, and are all straight up portraits. They seem to have trends from right to left too, with more beard, and to a forked beard (0-1-2?) Also the guy on the far right is holding up 2 fingers and pointing with one, the middle one pointing with 1, and the last one having his hands around the impliments. But 23/32 are just reverses of each other so I don't know.

Maybe the 2 plates and the bone means something too.

UD might be part of the clue but thats a bit obvious, so maybe too obvious.

I think room 23

bawbzilla posted:

Spoiler stuff

The room after, 30 could be something to do with Adam, or it could be something with the O-U. Four/For? Not sure.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

bawbzilla posted:

Well, if it's a matter of the house we all/none live in, I think it's probably our planet or universe, or even something about the afterlife? The clue we have so far makes me look at the clues in previous rooms a different way!

If we can use hyper crab tank's post as a easy to read guide and the correct path to compare the rooms we think are important, and words/letters are key like they say, then in the first two rooms we have "Like (possibly the), and then salt-a, or atlas. Saturn and the moon in this room also help confirm something about Atlas. Atlas is usually seen in myth carrying the heavens or the world on his back for eternity.

After that though I have no idea what the words would be. In the room after the theater there's f, o, and u and I don't see how those play together or with the letters in the rooms even further in, so maybe this is just a red herring. Or it's a word scramble and you just need to get all the letters and organize it rather than find them in order. Beh.

The next room might be 'you'? It would be a terrible pun if so, but in the text there's a snatch that says 'why 'o' and 'u'?' Or, rather, 'y' 'o' and 'u'.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

nweismuller posted:

The next room might be 'you'? It would be a terrible pun if so, but in the text there's a snatch that says 'why 'o' and 'u'?' Or, rather, 'y' 'o' and 'u'.

That does fit into the phrasing: Like atlas, you _____

Does that mean the next room could be bear - as in 'you bear'...something about the weight of the world or such?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There's no such thing as destiny. There are only different choices. Some choices are easy, some aren't. Those are the really important ones, the ones that define us as people.

Go to that room.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I hadn't noticed before, but the maze on the paper in room 4 (on the wall leading to 43) spells out "ELL" in the walls. There's also an axe and axles, a gavel, a candle... does this mean anything?

If you put together the rooms leading up to this point... I think the part about "Like Atlas, you bear" sounds plausible. It would make "UP and ON" later on fit with the sentence. In the next room, there'sthe "why oh ___ you are ___" thing, which I think may have mislead us into thinking too much about what looks like it could be missing from that note, rather than looking at what's actually there. What if the clue there is just "your"? "Like Atlas, you bear [something] upon your..." sounds like the first half of some kind of clue to me.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 24, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
In any event, I think we should investigate 23 at this point. If we can get 'shoulders' out of that, I think it would confirm 23 as the right room.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Faust IX posted:

Is it right, though?

Yeah, I think that's it. A coherent sentence using all of the clues in order. Lord only knows how you'd get that without the clues though...

Looking at the path riddle. Per hyper crab tank...

'Like Atlas, you bear [something] upon your...'
'Something' almost makes sense in context. Perhaps 'it'? No clue how to make heads or tails of the room 4

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Time for 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

i81icu812 posted:

Yeah, I think that's it. A coherent sentence using all of the clues in order. Lord only knows how you'd get that without the clues though...

Looking at the path riddle. Per hyper crab tank...

'Like Atlas, you bear [something] upon your...'
'Something' almost makes sense in context. Perhaps 'it'? No clue how to make heads or tails of the room 4

Ideally, once we've gone through everything, perhaps somebody could throw together a coherent image gallery of -just- the rooms we've figured out as being the path, making it easier to re-sift for clues?

Either way, 23

• Locked thread