Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which NBA team could UK probably beat?
This poll is closed.
Lakers 7 10.14%
Sixers 11 15.94%
Nuggets 1 1.45%
None of them, this is the stupidest ESPN meme ever 50 72.46%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

When was Cornell good? (I don't want to burst your bubble, but they went 2-26 last year)

VV I knew I must have been forgetting about something.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

OctoberBlues posted:

When was Cornell good? (I don't want to burst your bubble, but they went 2-26 last year)

Probably said that because of their success as a 12 seed in the 2010 tournament.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OctoberBlues posted:

They were far and away the best Ivy League team for a while and went to the Sweet 16.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm wondering on a scale of 1-10 how bad the Aces are gonna get thumped in the Gulf Coast Tourney. I mean they did beat Miami Ohio, so maybe they won't get dunked all over by FGCU. :unsmith:

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 21, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU did win something today. They beat the Patriots of George Mason 91-65 on their best shooting performance of the season, a whopping .41% :toot:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

best shooting performance of the season, a whopping .41% :toot:

I know I could use a pick me up at the moment but you could at least make it believable.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue beat Grambling 82-30 today. They beat up their pre-Maui cupcakes and showed signs of a competent offense for the first time in several seasons. Too many turnovers and missed free throws are going to cost them a few games this year but they should be a bubble team.

For the first time in over 30 years they're using a zone on a regular basis. We'll see how often it gets used against better competition, they've been giving up way too many open corner 3s.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU shot 24% from the field, 3-24 from 3, and 70% from the free throw line.

And won 51-27.

If this team could shoot at ALL, they'd be a serious force to be reckoned with

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grittybeard posted:

I know I could use a pick me up at the moment but you could at least make it believable.

math fail :eng99:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
News: UVa has a tough matchup against GW tonight

Views: No matter what, I'll just be happy to hear the news saying "UVa" without having "rape school" in the same sentence. Sad times to be a UVa fan. :(

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
If it makes you feel any better I haven't heard about that particular scandal quite yet

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a tough read. The problem isn't exclusive to UVa, but shameful nonetheless.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119?page=1

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

News: UVa has a tough matchup against GW tonight

Views: No matter what, I'll just be happy to hear the news saying "UVa" without having "rape school" in the same sentence. Sad times to be a UVa fan. :(

Hoping something actually comes of it this time, hardly the first time the university has been called out on its lovely, toxic culture. Lots of really strong student voices emerging yesterday, but the admin couldn't look stupider or less helpful if they tried—the independent counsel they named to conduct the investigation into the frat rape culture was himself a brother at the rapiest frat in the RS article. And then there was an (apparently) unrelated student suicide yesterday too.

Anyway: here's to basketball and temporary reprieves and please God nobody getting hurt in Charlottesville for one night, at least.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Iowa is favored by 3 1/2 tonight, which is somewhat in line with the Sagarin ratings, but definitely not in line with the Pomeroy ratings. I know it's early, but I was thinking that last year the lines usually matched up with Pomeroy even in November.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Is that the initial line or is that after some movement? Syracuse has a number next to their name as of now so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is going to suck really really really bad against a 2-3 zone.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

OctoberBlues posted:

Iowa is favored by 3 1/2 tonight, which is somewhat in line with the Sagarin ratings, but definitely not in line with the Pomeroy ratings. I know it's early, but I was thinking that last year the lines usually matched up with Pomeroy even in November.
I think Pomeroy's preseason projections are viewed as shittier than some others out there.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

MourningView posted:

Iowa is going to suck really really really bad against a 2-3 zone.

Syracuse's zone looked extremely bad against Cal and it wasn't all Cal's doing(though Cal is legit much better than projected)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
How are people expecting the ACC to play out this year? I know Louisville is now a part of the conference and should be pretty good this year, so is it Duke/UL and then UNC/UVA/Syracuse?

I know the Big 10 and Big 12 guys were already posting a bit about they expected things to play out, but would be curious to hear from some others about different conferences.

SEC is clearly UK/UF and then a bunch of meh.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

gvibes posted:

I think Pomeroy's preseason projections are viewed as shittier than some others out there.
Pomeroy's preseason ratings are something like the previous year's ratings less the contributions of departed players plus an attempt to account for incoming ones. I seem to recall he himself being of the opinion that they're not especially good and their influence on the rating is removed entirely by sometime in January iirc

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

vikingstrike posted:

How are people expecting the ACC to play out this year? I know Louisville is now a part of the conference and should be pretty good this year, so is it Duke/UL and then UNC/UVA/Syracuse

Pretty much. 1 Duke, 2 UNC, 3 UL, 4 UVa, 5 Syracuse.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/operation-basketball-media-selects-201415-preseason-poll-and-awards-2014-10-29

eta: I expect UVa to flail a little bit early in the year. We have a really good team but our depth is very young. A senior, a junior, and a bunch of freshmen. Once the rotation tightens up around ACC time and the team is more comfortable together, we ought to be drat tough. I would expect something like 27-10, and 3rd-5th in the ACC.

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 21, 2014

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Goddammit Iowa. That is all.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
Handy betting tip for all you gamblers out there: Always bet against the spread when UK plays a non-top 30 team after beating a ranked team.

Or just do it for all of November and December disregarding the previous game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Welp, Florida is screwed with injuries. G Eli Carter is now hurt. It may be as simple as a sprain, but it could be a Lisfranc which sidelines him for the year.

Add in Finney-Smith's hand injury, and Murphy's suspension and we are really hurting.

Louisiana Monroe took us to OT :ohdear:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This is going to be one hell of a long season for UNLV :(

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Bruce Weber rounding into mid season form with a loss to Long Beach State.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Goddammit Iowa. That is all.

Anytime the game is within 4 points with 2 minutes left I just assume they are going to lose.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
At least you guys don't have to deal with knowing your team that lost to UMKC is about to play...

Arizona

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

JRizzle posted:

At least you guys don't have to deal with knowing your team that lost to UMKC is about to play...

Arizona

Now watch Mizzou pull out a win.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Despite winning, Penn State is not very good

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Slam Thompson status: Still slammin'.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WVU advanced to play UConn in the finals of the PR Shoot out, we're gonna get murdered.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Mississippi State is 3-0 and just had an 8 point win over Utah State, a team that beat us by like 15 last year.

We aren't very good, but signs of improvement are always good.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Holy poo poo, Nebraska-Omaha (which has been Division I for like three seasons) just beat Marquette by eight in Milwaukee.

They play Nebraska in Lincoln on Tuesday in the schools' first meaningful game (in modern history)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I definitely think Nebraska-Omaha will just keep getting better, they've also got a nice little arena outside of Omaha. It was almost completely empty for the game I went to a couple years back, but it was nice.

edit: I guess they are having a new arena built for next season. The one they play at now is mainly a hockey facility, but I thought it was a pretty cool place. v:shobon:v

VV To be fair, Seattle is pretty much in the same position as Omaha, and seems to be improving from the dumpster fire they were a couple years ago.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 22, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Real Name Grover posted:

Holy poo poo, Nebraska-Omaha (which has been Division I for like three seasons) just beat Marquette by eight in Milwaukee.

They play Nebraska in Lincoln on Tuesday in the schools' first meaningful game (in modern history)
They apparently want to just be called "Omaha" now.

It's also worth noting that they were coming off to a loss to Seattle. :stare:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'm posting roughly two miles from UNO, AKA the University of No Opportunity, AKA West Dodge Street High School. Screw that "Omaha" nonsense. :cool:

And yeah, they'll be in a new arena closer to campus next fall. I believe their hockey team, which has been D-I for awhile now but was sharing the CenturyLink Center with Creighton, will play there as well. I think it was necessary for them to get bumped up to D-I in other sports.

Nebraska is a basketball state now, y'all

(... I'm posting this 90 minutes after the football team lost at home to Minnesota)

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
Marquette is just really bad this year. Omaha shot 57% after Ohio St ran a layup line on them in the previous game. Guards couldn't stop anybody from going right on by to the hoop. They've got a top class coming in next year but what's on the roster right now isn't looking good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Mighty Northwestern Wildcats have so far manged to beat North Florida on a last minute shot and held off something called Elon in overtime.

This is the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Mighty Northwestern Wildcats have so far manged to beat North Florida on a last minute shot and held off something called Elon in overtime.

This is the year.

Don't be hatin on The Phoenix.

• Locked thread