Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

pentyne posted:

"Hmm, how do we make the Orlesian court fun? I know, hide about 100 collectibles and make the player have to run around in a panic as a 'timer' of some kind will tick down"

I guess every game needs Half-Life 2's Water Hazard chapter now. You know, the one total poo poo section surrounding by diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Sprawl posted:

This is a terrible build with all kinds of bad points spent but he gets the idea right. You can make a much better build of this.

I went more ice and less spirit then this, but it's about what he did. What's the other KE build people like?

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012
I asked before but I guess it got lost a few pages back. How fun is the Reaver compared to the Knight Enchanter (how fun is it)? I'm doing a first playthrough and I can't decide which one to go with.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How many inquisition perk points do you get total?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

You can get a limited time in-game gift pack by using the AMD Gaming Evolved client (until Feb 18).

quote:

Each Pack includes:

The Avvar Mixed Draft mount, a proud and adaptable variant of the breed; this horse is uniquely trained by a master.
The Amulet of Martial Determination which is uniquely enchanted to enhance your constitution and optimize ability.
The Dragon Age Multiplayer chest, to aid in your co-operative adventures.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

howq do i enchant stuff in skyhold thanks

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Count me among the folks who thought the Sera reactions were hyperbolic until I met her. She's just so...shrill. Maybe she'll mellow a bit or something but her recruitment mission had me hovering over the "Get Lost" option a little too long. I picked her up in the hopes it was just her coming on too strong too fast. I can't imagine using her over Varric though.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Two questions:

1. For goons who have completed the game and focused on the main questline, what has your average game time been like?

2. Is there a consensus on these forums re: companions to keep/avoid?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Not done yet, but I wanted to mention that I'm weirdly impressed with how the Mage/Templar situation was handled in Act 1. After the frustrating "everyone's an rear end in a top hat" approach they took in DA2, they managed to make both sides seem pretty reasonable but with their own issues. Having Corypheus trying to subvert both sides and you effectively picking which one to save is a better way to present the choices than picking one based on an awkward, ginned-up conflict.

I went with the mages, but I ended up feeling sorry for the Templars for what happened to them and heaping it on Corypheus's head rather than thinking "Hah! [Other Side] got what they deserved!" Considering how miserably the whole war kicked off in DA2, this was a pretty decent recovery.

I guess I've always been more sympathetic to the mages since it's a condition you're born into, rather than the Templar who are recruited and could in theory take off the armor whenever they like. The two sides aren't conceptually equal since in one case you're against a specific organization while in the other you're against a kind of person. The end of the Templar Order really just means the end of an order of Knights, but it could be remade or a new one could rise up. Killing all the mages/letting them be destroyed is going to leave the next generation of kids born with magic in a pretty precarious position.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 23, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Midnight Voyager posted:

I never had a game console as a kid. I never developed reflexes for them. I did own a computer and play games on it. So I don't own or use a controller.

It's not that weird to prefer a control scheme that you are used to over one you have almost never used and don't own.

Chill out, goons.
Exact same reason here.

The last console I played a lot of, was the NES. Oh. And a lot of Smash Brothers, but I don't think one game on one console counts? I am just not used to controllers. I don't like the joysticks on them. I like my keyboard and mouse.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also thanks for the actual answer. I've heard that some of the camera crap is a bug. Hopefully that misnamed "Day 1" patch will help.

V and Y are your friends. V for toggling between enemies. Y to focus fire everyone on your team on one enemy.

Switch pause to spacebar, jump to control.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

That horse looks like it has a missing texture or something as its helmet.

WindmillSlayer posted:

howq do i enchant stuff in skyhold thanks

You get the arcanist chick from a War Table mission, and then talk to her and when you go to craft weapons/armor at the stations there will be an extra slot above where you pick what the item is made of where you can pick an enchantment ingredient.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Where in the Fallow Mire do I find wisp essences? Finished the beacon subquest, but haven't seen any wisps or essences thereof in this miserable zone.

They only drop from enemies that have wisps in their name. You pretty much have to completely explore the map to find them all.

Elektrostasia
Oct 3, 2013

Levantine posted:

Count me among the folks who thought the Sera reactions were hyperbolic until I met her. She's just so...shrill. Maybe she'll mellow a bit or something but her recruitment mission had me hovering over the "Get Lost" option a little too long. I picked her up in the hopes it was just her coming on too strong too fast. I can't imagine using her over Varric though.

She isn't nearly as awful as she is in her recruitment quest, but she's still really irritating. On one hand, in a game with a lot of themes about leadership, responsibility, and accountability, it is nice to have someone irreverent and who is 100% "I don't care I just want to get back to status quo" but she really ends up coming off as a racist anti-magic hick most of the time.

I keep on talking to her and waiting to see if it gets any better since a lot of people like her a lot but I really just... don't. I asked her about our allies and she seemed to dislike literally all of them aside from maybe Blackwall and Cass.

I had planned for her to be my rogue in my "pro-chantry pro-templar" run. She fits well enough ideologically and I would like to have a party with a similar set of beliefs but god, at what cost?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

pentyne posted:

Then why even play an RPG?

The story? :monocle:

Leave something for the next go around.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

VDay posted:

You get the arcanist chick from a War Table mission, and then talk to her and when you go to craft weapons/armor at the stations there will be an extra slot above where you pick what the item is made of where you can pick an enchantment ingredient.

hmm i made a masterwork coat with fade bear paws or something shouldnt that have triggered the quest,...

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

So if Fereldan is Medieval England and Orlais is Reniscane France, the Free Marches are Medieval Italy and Tevinter is Roman-Empire-Except-It-Didn't-Fall-Also-Evil-Mages-Also-Kinda-Byzantium...

Where does my characters British accent come from?

Because the only other person I can remember with a British accent in the series, was Alistair. From Redcliffe. No one else from Redcliffe has a British accent. My character has a British accent but I can't recall one other person in the game who has one?

Could British accents be caused by brain damage in this game? Exhibit A: Alistair. Exhibit B: My character kind of sounds like an insincere sarcastic rear end in a top hat no matter what dialogue options I pick?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 23, 2014

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

McGlockenshire posted:

I solved my random-but-mostly-in-cutscenes nVidia crashing by:

- Letting the nVidia control panel thing update the graphics settings for the game to what it recommended

sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this part specifically.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Where in the Fallow Mire do I find wisp essences? Finished the beacon subquest, but haven't seen any wisps or essences thereof in this miserable zone.

from wraiths. they have a chance of dropping them.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Sprawl posted:

This is a terrible build with all kinds of bad points spent but he gets the idea right. You can make a much better build of this.

I'm aware there is a number of wasted points. Having been playing my Knight-Enchanter a lot, I'm finding my decision to pick up Static Cage, and Conductive Current to be not worth it at all. I'm considering swapping to go deep into Fire for Fire Mine or maybe Wall of Fire, but panic seems like more an annoyance than a boon. Alternatively, going into Spirit straight through to pick up Strength of Spirits so I can barrier myself in emergencies. Comes down to extra damage or even more survivability I suppose.

Also people seem to ignore that Fade Cloak with with Decloaking Blast can not only be used defensively, but offensively as well, it hits like a truck.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Diogines posted:

So if Fereldan is Medieval England and Orlais is Reniscane France, the Free Marches are Medieval Italy and Tevinter is Roman-Emnpire-Except-It-Didn't-Fall-Also-Evil-Mages-Also-Kinda-Byzantium...

Where does my characters British accent come from?

Because the only other person I can remember with a British accent in the series, was Alistair. From Redcliffe. No one else from Redcliffe has a British accent. My character has a British accent but I can't recall one other person in the game who has one?

Could British accents be caused by brain damage in this game? Exhibit A: Alistair. Exhibit B: My character kind of sounds like an insincere sarcastic rear end in a top hat no matter what dialogue options I pick?

The Marches is italy? Also, why do only some dalish have an oirish accent if they're supposed to be the irish? Is Nevarra the middle east?

*you forgot spainAntiva

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 23, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Marches is italy? Also, why do only some dalish have an oirish accent if they're supposed to be the irish? Is Nevarra the middle east?

The Free Marches are totally Italy. Merchantile coastal city states in a lose confederation who used to be part of the Roman Tevintar Empire?

I did not think the Dales were Ireland, until they gave all the Dalish Irish accents in Dragon Age 2, so yeah, they are totally Irish now.

Antiva is southern Spain I think?

Not sure what Nevara is supposed to be? I got kind of a German vibe with the tails of dragon slayers.

Edit: Rivain is somewhere in Africa because it is where black people come from in Thedas. Also, it has jungles.

The Qunari don't really clearly line up with any country.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Wow. Mounts are absolutely terrible in this game

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Qunari are the Borg.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Is it possible to have multiple romances?

Because I like the diplomat, but I want to jump Dorian's bone in this game as we burn down the remnants of the Circle.

MAGE LIBERATION FOREVER!

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

where do i get the base item you need to make runes

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Given how Ferelden is and its proximity to the Free Marches I'd rather say they are more like the Hanseatic League than Italy.

What's the consensus on which class will give you the easiest time in combat? I was thinking of doing an Elf Rogue but it seems Knight-Enchanter is the way to go.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ethiser posted:

The Qunari are the Borg.
I was kind of disappointed you play a Tal Vasoth. I wanted to play a Qun follower. Sten is my favorite companion in the series!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Given how Ferelden is and its proximity to the Free Marches I'd rather say they are more like the Hanseatic League than Italy.
That is a fair point, except that the Free Marches were colonized by Rome Tevinter?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WindmillSlayer posted:

where do i get the base item you need to make runes

Vendors in Skyhold sell for for 6 gold, so dirt cheap by any point in the game.

Diogines posted:

I was kind of disappointed you play a Tal Vasoth. I wanted to play a Qun follower. Sten is my favorite companion in the series!

Also weird given what Iron Bull says about them. That they are lost to rage and anger, and that as a Kossith his greatest fear is losing himself to the same. Or that could be Qun propoganda designed to enforce the Qunari mentality of the Qun as central to life.

So, are mounts mostly freemium DLC stuff? I see spaces for like 25-30 mounts in single player, and I'm almost done with act 2 and haven't seen any other chance to get a mount.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 23, 2014

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

pentyne posted:

Vendors in Skyhold sell for for 6 gold, so dirt cheap by any point in the game.

which shoppe....

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Cythereal posted:

There are several spots where Wraiths spawn infinitely. Sit around and kill them as they pop.

There is a spot with a large circle of stones in the south east, near the 2nd camp, there is a landmark for it as well, inside is a Pure Wisp miniboss, and outside is a respawning Wraith by a stone arch as well. Just camp that arch.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Nah, it's clearly Italy.
The extreme levels of piety, the fact that Nevarra is basically Dragon Ages equivalent of Venice. By all rights the Pope Sunburst Throne should be in Kirkwall or Starkhaven.

:spergin:

Diogines posted:

The Free Marches are totally Italy. Merchantile coastal city states in a lose confederation who used to be part of the Roman Tevintar Empire?

I did not think the Dales were Ireland, until they gave all the Dalish Irish accents in Dragon Age 2, so yeah, they are totally Irish now.

Antiva is southern Spain I think?

Not sure what Nevara is supposed to be? I got kind of a German vibe with the tails of dragon slayers.

Edit: Rivain is somewhere in Africa because it is where black people come from in Thedas. Also, it has jungles.

The Qunari don't really clearly line up with any country.

Antiva and Rivain are "I can't believe it's not the Iberian Peninsula", the Elves are totally the Irish which basically makes Ferelden England
There isn't really a Germany, although you could sort of see Anderfels as one.
The Tevinter are clearly a bizarro Byzantium.
The Qunari seem to be a mishmash of "not europe", with large portions of Islam for effect.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 23, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

It should actually. The Chantry being in France Orlais seems to be drawing inspiration to when the Pope was in Avingon, France? 7 popes had their papacy in France.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WindmillSlayer posted:

which shoppe....

All 3 are literally next to each other, just loving look.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

But seriously, does anyone know if you can have more than one romantic interest?

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

pentyne posted:

All 3 are literally next to each other, just loving look.

gosh wow... rude :/

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Diogines posted:

Those are Welsh accents.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm not liking the combat. Very tedious and slow.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

HIJK posted:

your wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Those are Welsh accents.

They're both.
Dalish accents appear to be fairly interchangeable.

HIJK posted:

I think they gave the AI a poo poo load of HP to make the game feel more tactical; it had the added bonus of meaning that even more enemies didn't have to loving zipline in to make combat challenging.

• Locked thread