Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Well if you're doing that, why not upgrade some of the other stuff too? It all goes through the same incredibly long cert process doesn't it? Might as well upgrade everything you can.

F-22 Super Raptor: Totally Not An Entirely New Airframe, We Promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bitcoin bastard posted:

Couldn't you do something like the Super Hornet, where you make an F-22 "B" that's mostly new? I'm sure there's a whole list of minor (and maybe not so minor) changes the engineers would like to go back and make with the help of hindsight.

You would, but then you have to re-certify it which takes forever. Still probably cheaper than designing from scratch, but there will inevitably problems introduced. Especially in the software. Software is a bitch like that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OhYeah posted:

Does anyone else here get sexually excited about the thought of a SR-71 based fighter or bomber?

I'm sorry if it's just me... carry on.

:gizz:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sjurygg posted:

Digital computers _surely_ must mean there's a possibility of doing this somehow less painfully. I don't expect poo poo like /usr/lib/aim9x.so.1 or /etc/oxygensupply.conf to be in the exact same place or of the same format as 15 years ago, but with a bit of tinkering at least the code should be portable to newer silicon? poo poo like that is done all the time.

It's not like swapping a motherboard and CPU in a desktop. You have to test these things under obscene conditions and integrate them with all the systems they'll have to work with flawlessly for the next few decades. Radar, engine and flight controls, cockpit management, environmental, RWR, datalinks, every possible weapon, and the dozens of other systems. There are no generic drivers to make this poo poo work.

Is it all possible? Of course! The E-3 is still using the same processor as the test bed in 1971 (which is still flying and actually my favorite in the fleet), but the Air Force modernized part of the computer in the late 90s by replacing the reel-to-reel memory with a hard drive that emulates one. But it takes a long loving time to test and integrate, and that's far more important than the financial cost. Let's think about this for a second: what is the scenario where the US, in the current political/economic climate, decides it's worth hundreds of millions of dollars to restart the F-22 production line? loving war. We're not going to build them unless we expect to actually use them. As mentioned, training a green pilot takes a couple of years. I don't know the specifics but the F-15 to F-22 difference training to swap a pilot into the new plane is probably only a couple of months by the book...in a pinch I'm confident it could be done in less than one, but then you're stripping pilots from the other airframes. And then there's the actual aircraft production. It would take months to get the tooling set up even if most of it was actually mothballed. The subcontractors have to set up their own production lines and being supplying the assembly plants with parts before anything gets going. During the 15 years of F-22 production, they peaked at about two per month. On a war footing that could certainly improve, but realistically? You're not getting more than a handful every month at best. And you're already a year or more into the fight.

Saving the tooling was a PR move and little more.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 22, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hauldren Collider posted:

There is just no loving way that's true. :rolleyes:

Hauldren Collider posted:

That's all true for any aircraft. We're talking the costs to restart the raptor run. If we need more planes, and the choice is a new airframe or more raptors, do you seriously think the raptor would be more expensive than a clean sheet design?

It is. Re-starting a production line is going to take (well I hope anyway) someone demanding that the logistics are figured out, which means working out a cost that simply isn't just the price of a Raptor off the line. Opening the line for 50-100 more Raptors will be much more expensive (like cosmically so because manufacturing a limited run is more costly than manufacturing a lot).

Hopefully some smart guy is gonna ask, "Why would we open up the line for a Raptor that's costing us 400 million or whatever versus investing that cash into a new program being built with new, modern tech?"

So the Raptor at its flyaway cost today is pretty good. At a much higher flyaway cost it doesn't seem so appealing. In fact, it's a waste of money.

bloops fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 22, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Denzine posted:

F-22 Super Raptor: Totally Not An Entirely New Airframe, We Promise.

We should have stuck with "Rapier". F-22E Super Rapier: Now with more rapey.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

We're not going to build them unless we expect to actually use them. As mentioned, training a green pilot takes a couple of years. I don't know the specifics but the F-15 to F-22 difference training to swap a pilot into the new plane is probably only a couple of months by the book...in a pinch I'm confident it could be done in less than one, but then you're stripping pilots from the other airframes. And then there's the actual aircraft production. It would take months to get the tooling set up even if most of it was actually mothballed. The subcontractors have to set up their own production lines and being supplying the assembly plants with parts before anything gets going. During the 15 years of F-22 production, they peaked at about two per month. On a war footing that could certainly improve, but realistically? You're not getting more than a handful every month at best. And you're already a year or more into the fight.

Which raises the question of what kind of fight are we in when stealth air dominance fighters are needed a year into the goddamn thing and it's going so poorly that the USAF is running out of Raptors.

Per Wiki, the flyaway cost of an F-22 in FY 2009 was $150 million. I'll be generous and say a limited run of 50 is $225 million. $11.2 billion right there for 50 new jets.

Yea, it's cheap.

bloops fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 22, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Realistically, in almost any conflict with an air-to-air aspect, we're going to be overstressing the aircraft (and crews, and maintainers) simply because there aren't enough to employ properly. Depot mx is going to be pushed back, bandaid fixes on the flightline are going to be used instead of proper procedures. They're going to get hammered on flight hours. That's going to take its toll quickly.

380 Raptors would've been a goddamned bargain compared to what we'll pay if they ever prove to be actually needed on the front line.

Edit: VVV That's very true. It'll probably actually be used for that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 23, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

It'll be useful if they ever need to SLEP them, or re-wing them, or any other major structural replacement/modification program. Outside of that, I agree with you; New-build F-22s ain't gonna happen.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

So I hear you guys like bunkers. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30160201

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Hoxha's regime built up to 700,000 bunkers before he died in 1985.

:stare: Hoxha didn't mess around.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Party Plane Jones posted:

:stare: Hoxha didn't mess around.

It's pretty interesting, they are tiny little mushroom type things just scattered everywhere.

http://www.wired.com/2013/03/david-galjaard-albanian-bunkers/

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

That laughable hoxa guy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This dude was responsible for a lot of nukes and also apparently had a very bad gambling problem...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/fired-nuke-commander-now-linked-counterfeit-poker-chips/

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Baloogan posted:

The Rafale is a Super Hornet equivalent that is literally more expensive per unit than the F-35A managed to be. Isn't stealthy, isn't supermaneuverable, can't supercruise with an air to ground loadout. 100% external stores, which removes any pretension of being LO. Its first flight was in the 80s.

So far only India has started the process of buying them.

Rafale's carrier variant doesn't fold its wings.

Funny, they build a carrier for theirs. We turn ours into practice drones?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Like MrYenko said it was explicitly done to make the inevitable SLEP easier. We're going to be flying Raptors into the next century, they're going to get SLEP'd at least once.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

Still hoping that there could be some deal swung to grab one of the Mistrals for Canada..

I know there will be an utter poo poo show with the locally built ships going massively over budget though, so there'd be no money for this anyway.

There's no way the RCN could support operating a carrier of any stripe. We built that capability during WW2 on the sly, then lost it thirty years later when we paid off Bonnie at the peak of her operational usefulness and right after a fairly major refit. We simply do not have the skill set to support naval aviation anymore, nor do we have the political will to support the expense required to bring it back... particularly when you look at how brutally underfunded our navy's been for the past decade and a half.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
But think of all the great fires we could hear about!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

They could also crank up production if the political environment changes IE war with a technologically advanced country with a large air force seems likely. (Or if an ally 20 years down the road wanted them to for reasons.)

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

If they ever upgrade the Raptor, I hope they go Command & Conquer: Generals with it and call it the King Raptor. :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

General Wiggles posted:

If they ever upgrade the Raptor, I hope they go Command & Conquer: Generals with it and call it the King Raptor. :allears:

If it's a big enough upgrade to warrant a name change, I'm hoping for F-22B Harpy.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Lately I've been reading Tom Clancy: FIGHTER WING which is an In-depth look through the tactics, planes, and ordinance of the USAF, from the gulf-war era (and a little on the history of earlier conflicts.)

No idea how reputable Tom Clancy is in the non-fiction department, but I'm finding it really interesting. It goes into fairly specific detail, even just on jet engine development of the last 50 years. Would recommend.

(Non-fiction somehow doesn't ensure Clancy can't inject rapey undertones though)...

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay, I have a question about how fires play into any potential conflict. I'm going off this post in the Idiots thread:

Wild T posted:

:words:
When we did night fire on the M2 I couldn't even see the targets because those little IR blinky lights were lost in the bright white smudge of the raging grassfire from the tracers behind them.
:words:

It seems like any real fight in a forest/grassland from early Summer to late Fall would cause at least one major fire, and probably a bunch. How would that affect troop movement, are there forestry trained people who look at a map and say 'this fire is probably going to move over here in the next X hours', etc?

E: Not sure if that question belongs in this thread, but I guess it could apply in a theoretical Western Europe fight that hadn't gone nuclear yet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrYenko posted:

If it's a big enough upgrade to warrant a name change, I'm hoping for F-22B Harpy.

F-22A Raptor --> F-22B Velociraptor. :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

F-22C Carrier edition with internal payload of a minisub full of bad dudes: Utahraptor.

If Jurassic Park had made Velociraptors the right size, it would have made for a great comedy movie.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E:mm

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

YES

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bitcoin bastard posted:

Okay, I have a question about how fires play into any potential conflict. I'm going off this post in the Idiots thread:

It seems like any real fight in a forest/grassland from early Summer to late Fall would cause at least one major fire, and probably a bunch. How would that affect troop movement, are there forestry trained people who look at a map and say 'this fire is probably going to move over here in the next X hours', etc?

E: Not sure if that question belongs in this thread, but I guess it could apply in a theoretical Western Europe fight that hadn't gone nuclear yet.

One of the Peninsular Campaign battles featured a grass fire caused by musketry that burned hundreds of wounded from both sides to death (Talavera, maybe), and the Battle of the Wilderness during the American Civil War did as well. It's definitely a thing that's happened in the past, but I don't know how armies deal with it. I suspect that meteorological technicians would play a role; they know which way the wind is blowing and so on.

I do know, however, that in the RCN every sailor is now also a firefighter as a result of what happened in HMCS KOOTENAY in 1969.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
From irc:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Fearless posted:

I do know, however, that in the RCN every sailor is now also a firefighter as a result of what happened in HMCS KOOTENAY in 1969.

You'd think everyone would have learned that lesson after WWII.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Alaan posted:

You'd think everyone would have learned that lesson after WWII.

My understanding is that the US Navy has been absolutely psychotic about damage control since about '42 or so.

Edit: anecdotal evidence from drinking in navy bars two decades ago may or may not be accurate

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 24, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Smiling Jack posted:

My understanding is that the US Navy has been absolutely psychotic about damage control since about '42 or so.

Edit: anecdotal evidence from drinking in navy bars two decades ago may or may not be accurate

if not then, certainly since 1967.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fearless posted:

There's no way the RCN could support operating a carrier of any stripe. We built that capability during WW2 on the sly, then lost it thirty years later when we paid off Bonnie at the peak of her operational usefulness and right after a fairly major refit. We simply do not have the skill set to support naval aviation anymore, nor do we have the political will to support the expense required to bring it back... particularly when you look at how brutally underfunded our navy's been for the past decade and a half.

Well, I don't think the intent was to become a fully fledged helicopter carrier, rather to use it as a floating ops centre with the capability of having a hospital, landing craft bay, troop berthing and vehicle transport. That it can land a bunch of helicopters simultaneously is a bit of a fringe benefit although wouldn't be the main focus of it. It's ice hardened too (unlike the frigates) so it would be useful up north a lot longer out of the year.

I don't think it requires a huge crew to operate either. It would require training and manpower beyond the current capabilities but that just requires a further investment in defense spending (:lol:).

Of course it'll never happen because we will have to pour shitloads of cash into domestic shipyards that lost their capability to build major projects like the naval ships ages ago so it will be a bit of a fuckaround until they get their poo poo together, all the while money burning like crazy. Frankly that plan scares me even more than the F-35 purchase.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Smiling Jack posted:

You go on one of those things and it feels like every third space is a damage control locker. Given the myriad of the threats to ships, it's pretty justified. I imagine our frigates that got hit in the Persian Gulf were pretty thankful for it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Red Crown posted:

You go on one of those things and it feels like every third space is a damage control locker. Given the myriad of the threats to ships, it's pretty justified. I imagine our frigates that got hit in the Persian Gulf were pretty thankful for it.

Ships fight better when they're not on fire or under water, or both.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

MrYenko posted:

Ships fight better when they're not on fire or under water, or both.

Except fireships, or submarines, or both.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

Except fireships, or submarines, or both.

Valiant submariners shoveling uranium into the nuclear firebox, as is my understanding

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
shiptalk
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=837808462937458

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Smiling Jack posted:

The Forrestal fire in 67 that was previously cited was made worse than it needed to be due to a lack of proper training in firefighting and heavy casualties among the designated damage control teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, that'll ruin someone's day. It seems a bit far above the waterline, though.