Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Splizwarf posted:

I am a fan of the integrated bottle jack and ratcheting stand ala http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJJZ5YC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1416614910&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

That one is taller and bigger than the one I have but Amazon's selection is weak. That one looks aimed at trucks; mine is fine for my average-height car but obviously bollocks for something sporty/low. Also hey, a bigger footprint for Kastein!

I like them because often the only good place to put a stand is right where the goddamn jack has to go. :argh:

Oh drat, that might be the perfect thing to lift my XJ on its frame rails. Right now I have to lift my differential and then slap a HF 6 ton jack stand under there since it's so tall. Would love to have a jack that just fits directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize they're probably fine but that seems like a lot of weight to be ultimately just hanging out on the threads of a screw. The fine adjustment is probably nice but is there anything that actually locks them into a set height?

I really want to get a set or two of these eventually.

I have a copy of those and they're nice, but I disagree with the footprint-to-height ratio. At full extension I'd be very wary to support a vehicle with them.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

bolind posted:

I have a copy of those and they're nice, but I disagree with the footprint-to-height ratio. At full extension I'd be very wary to support a vehicle with them.

I've got a copy too (the Griot's version) and they're pretty good, but the Esco stand, or that even fancier one that is made to interface with the jack are definitely nicer.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

bolind posted:

Using many approximations, my napkin numbers say it would take a force of about 10 kN at the car/stand touch point to tip something like that. 1.4 kN pushing from the top of the car.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I was just looking at the Kobalt direct drive ratchets at Lowe's and they seemed really nice. They don't have gears or teeth so they turn very smooth and can handle tighter turning areas. Does anyone here have them? I have had good luck with Kobalt in the past but I am always a little wary of their more gimmicky tools.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I was just looking at the Kobalt direct drive ratchets at Lowe's and they seemed really nice. They don't have gears or teeth so they turn very smooth and can handle tighter turning areas. Does anyone here have them? I have had good luck with Kobalt in the past but I am always a little wary of their more gimmicky tools.

http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-direct-drive-gearless-ratchet/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Neat. I kind of want that now.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Do they make it in flex-head?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MRC48B posted:

Do they make it in flex-head?

No, but they have a palm ratchet that comes with the set.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Ive worked with power tools with clutches of the same design. Im pretty impressed by them. Im not sure Id feal comfortable really torquing down with them but I dont know.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I'm definitely with the guy on the whole "universal sockets = meh" opinion, but I'd be interested in trying the ratchet if it can eventually be purchased separately. If they do a combo ratchet+palm ratchet for $20 or so, I'd probably pick it up.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Looking for a rivet nut set (nutsert) to do some over fenders, canards (need to be removable) and securing random poo poo in the car/engine bay. I have settled on the Marson kit MR39313.

This looks like a competent set. The Marson seems to be the most common offering from Summit, Jegs, Amazon, etc. I can buy the steel riv nuts at any time for something that may need a bit more strength.

Anyone have any experience or input? What about for something that can do up to 3/8" steel rivet nuts? I want to make different brackets for the splitter that are easier to remove from the bottom of the car?

Additionally, help my lazy self find a competent rivet kit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons, found Halfords selling these 24-LED inspection lamps for a fiver:

AA batteries, got a hanging hook and magnet on the back. And they're bright as gently caress.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What do you guys like for multi tools? I've never needed one before yesterday so I really don't know what's out there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

thebigcow posted:

What do you guys like for multi tools? I've never needed one before yesterday so I really don't know what's out there.

I tend to like Leatherman products better than Gerber; they generally seem tighter and have a better fit and finish. I have one of those Gerbers where the pliers slide out the front, and it just always seemed loose and rattly to me.

I used to carry a Leatherman Wave, but now I just carry a Skeletool CX and I really like that I can clip it to a pocket and forget it's there. Don't need to have poo poo on my belt all the time anymore.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I finally stopped dragging my feet and got a Leatherman Wave like a month ago. I've used it literally every single day since for some miscellaneous task and will never be without a multitool again.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I bought a Leatherman Wave over 15 years ago and it's still working great. It sat for a long time, but after cleaning and oiling it a bit it's fine. The prices seem crazy but they'll last forever.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

thebigcow posted:

I'm a fan of the SOG stuff for daily use, especially the Power Assist stuff.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have a Leatherman Juice CS4 that I have had for at least ten years and it's still going strong. The flatheads are still stupid hard to open.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I horizontal carry a Leatherman Surge in a kydex sheath that I built. I've been carrying this exact model for eight years, and wouldn't change it for anything. The surge is like a huge wave, but uses a Bosch T-handle jigsaw blade for the saw, which opens up a world of options.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Leatherman Surge here too.

I'm a gorilla though and manage to absolutely destroy one every couple years. My current one is missing an entire plier jaw because I was desperate at the junkyard one day and tried to use it to hold onto an 18mm control arm nut.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I've got a Victorinox of some sort, I think this one: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-SwissTool-Pouch/dp/B00GY23J6K

It seems a little better made than the Leatherman I had before it (Pulse, I think?), although that was also a decent tool. Other than build quality, the big difference is that I like the locking mechanism on the Victorinox much better.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My Leatherman has lifetime warranty, using a Skeletool and also have a Kick from Mitsubishi Electric.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

InitialDave posted:

AA batteries, got a hanging hook and magnet on the back. And they're bright as gently caress.

In the US those exact models are for sale at walmart at $9.99 for 2 of them.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

thebigcow posted:

Home Depot has Leatherman sidekicks for $25. Rates extremely well for the price

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

InitialDave posted:

G-Mach posted:

In the US those exact models are for sale at walmart at $9.99 for 2 of them.

2 for $5 at Harbor Freight. In addition to a bright white LED center, they each have their own unique feature as well:

Steel Vitner's ruler sold separately. :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My problem with those magnet lights from HF is they used the softest aluminum screw to secure the battery door. You might get lucky and be able to replace the batteries once before the head completely strips out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

My problem with those magnet lights from HF is they used the softest aluminum screw to secure the battery door. You might get lucky and be able to replace the batteries once before the head completely strips out.

God gave us duct tape for a reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have a gerber tool with the slide out cutters, I like how you can flick the cutters out with practice, until some moron borrowed them and tried to cut high tension steel cable with them. It took ages filing them down before they even closed again and they don't cut for poo poo any more.

The set with the pliars is pretty good.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

AncientTV posted:

Using many approximations, my napkin numbers say it would take a force of about 10 kN at the car/stand touch point to tip something like that. 1.4 kN pushing from the top of the car.

Hmm, I suppose you're right in the mechanical sense. Maybe my fears stemmed from the fact that the surface I use them on isn't all that flat (asphalt surface in a parking garage.)

I have mine modified like this for the BMW, which is super nice if a bit make specific.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

2 for $5 at Harbor Freight. In addition to a bright white LED center, they each have their own unique feature as well:

Steel Vitner's ruler sold separately. :v:

where does one aquire one of those bitchin vitners rulers? Also is that an old Lincoln tech toolbox? Sure looks like the one under my toolbox.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kmcormick9 posted:

Home Depot has Leatherman sidekicks for $25. Rates extremely well for the price

Yet again, the Brits get screwed:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=leatherman

$62.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can find it for £20 shipped from an eBay trader, which sounds reasonable. More than $25 still.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

I can find it for £20 shipped from an eBay trader, which sounds reasonable. More than $25 still.

Got a link?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

bolind posted:

Hmm, I suppose you're right in the mechanical sense. Maybe my fears stemmed from the fact that the surface I use them on isn't all that flat (asphalt surface in a parking garage.)

I have mine modified like this for the BMW, which is super nice if a bit make specific.

Ah yeah, that would definitely change things. Regardless, I'm sure it's still a crazy amount of effort required to actually tip them, especially with those square inserts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

spog posted:

Got a link?

:psyduck: what the hell was I looking at earlier? Looks like £40 from Amazon or £35 shipped from the US. Sorry.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

:psyduck: what the hell was I looking at earlier? Looks like £40 from Amazon or £35 shipped from the US. Sorry.

Thanks anyway.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Does the triangle one have a blink option for the red setting? Seems like a couple of those would be ideal to slap on the back traffic-facing end of a disabled car.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Leatherman Surge here too.

I'm a gorilla though and manage to absolutely destroy one every couple years. My current one is missing an entire plier jaw because I was desperate at the junkyard one day and tried to use it to hold onto an 18mm control arm nut.

Send it back, they'll replace it. I've broken a Wave jaw, but that was being really dumb and twisting with it. No complaints from LM, I got a shiny new one back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

I'm a fan of the SOG stuff for daily use, especially the Power Assist stuff.

The SOG Power Assist models are incredible (this is the model I have). I thrashed the hell out of and it never got loose or lost an edge... sadly, one drunken night out camping I lost it somewhere while trying to scale a sandstone hillside. I immediately bought another one, and it's lasted a good three years now with (again) no loss in performance. I use it constantly at work, I bring it out to work on the car when I get home, it goes with me when I'm on vacation, it's there on every camping/hiking trip and a million other things. I hammer nails with it, pry things, use it as a socket wrench, used it to break things. I used it once to disassemble half the dash on my buddy's 1983 FJ60 Land Cruiser, at 1AM in a methtown gas station - the CD deck fell back inside the dash and he refused to move until he had music.

I fully intent on going back to that sandstone hillside with a metal detector one day and finding my old one, because I am certain it handled the harsh desert sun just fine. I had someone sew a little nylon belt loop lengthwise over the case belt clip, so I won't lose it again.