Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Dude, I saw Twin Peaks live on air. But that was twenty three years ago. There are people posting here who weren't born yet. We should cut them some slack for not going back to watch a, let's be honest, ambitious but flawed show from before their birth.

Just like I've never bothered to go back and watch Dark Shadows, and ambitious but flawed show that aired before my birth!

My dad may have watched it while he was feeding me a bottle. I still need to go back and watch it since I'm frequently told it hits all the points of TV series that I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I get that, I just don't see how Dune is a more well known reference.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Air is lava! posted:

Wait!
Ward is a middle aged, white, male sociopath with a tragic backstory, who kills countless people, thinks of himself as the hero and has a weird misson focused mentality.

He is a video game protagonist!

Just think about it. He does reckless things like juming out of a flying plane to catch Fitz, or singlehandedly defeating a bunch of enemies. He gets ordered around by a mentor character without really thinking why he advances the plot this way. The first thing he does in the show is make a stupid quip. Now that his mentor is dead, he is on a weird redemption arc which only happens in his head. And the only way you can root for him is by surrounding him with literal nazis, to look good in comparison.

Dogshooting 101 was the tutorial level, where he learned to fend for himself.

He lives in a superhero world, so if he were to start wearing an animal mask during his missions, that wouldn't be too out of the ordinary, right?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BSam posted:

I get that, I just don't see how Dune is a more well known reference.

More people saw it, the book is pretty popular for sci fi nerds who would also be more likely to see or hear of it in this day and age.

Twin Peaks is cool, but I can't believe we're even talking about which one sticks more in the popular consciousness here.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He had an alien in him in The Hidden. No wonder he's crazy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Kheldarn posted:

Gonna be funny if that's true.

Isn't Mary Sue Poots her actual name from her adopted parents or whatever?

We don't know what her given name was from Muad'Dad and VisceraMom.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Isn't Mary Sue Poots her actual name from her adopted parents or whatever?

We don't know what her given name was from Muad'Dad and VisceraMom.

Yup, that was the name they gave her at the orphanage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Error 404 posted:

More people saw it, the book is pretty popular for sci fi nerds who would also be more likely to see or hear of it in this day and age.

Twin Peaks is cool, but I can't believe we're even talking about which one sticks more in the popular consciousness here.

A show that has been in the news recently due to its return.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bobkatt013 posted:

A show that has been in the news recently due to its return.

Which still doesn't exactly make it overly notable.
You need to have seen a thing in order to say "hey, didn't I see that guy in that thing?"

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

TARDISman posted:

Yup, that was the name they gave her at the orphanage.

Which makes "Thats not her name!!!", funny since she gave herself the name Skye. So yes dad it is her name.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Gavok posted:

He lives in a superhero world, so if he were to start wearing an animal mask during his missions, that wouldn't be too out of the ordinary, right?

"Do you like hurting other people?"
"Not really, it's just a part of my job."
"Oh."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zythrst posted:

Which makes "Thats not her name!!!", funny since she gave herself the name Skye. So yes dad it is her name.

He probably gave her a name and that's what he's talking about. Like Medusa.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pander posted:

I know him best as Trey from sex and the city. :shrug:

I keep meaning to watch Twin Peaks so much but my g/f always vetoes it with something else.

You just publicly admitted to watching Sex and the City, how do you feel?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Deakul posted:

Like a guy who had a girlfriend in the early 2000s.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Sex and the City was a good show.

The movies, however...

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

He probably gave her a name and that's what he's talking about. Like Medusa.
No doubt her birth name will turn out to be comic books related in some way.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pander posted:

Like a guy who had a girlfriend in the early 2000s.

:negative:
You poor soul.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Deakul posted:

:negative:
You poor soul.

Eh. A girlfriend in 2011 kept trying to get me to watch all those bravo shows like real housewives of whereverthefuck.

By comparison, SatC was a drat good show. Such a different, odd role for maclachlan too, he's almost unrecognizable compared to his christopher walken-esque performance in Agents.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

Pander posted:

Eh. A girlfriend in 2011 kept trying to get me to watch all those bravo shows like real housewives of whereverthefuck.

By comparison, SatC was a drat good show. Such a different, odd role for maclachlan too, he's almost unrecognizable compared to his christopher walken-esque performance in Agents.

To me, that was his formative role. I can't see him as anyone but Trey. You know how Nicholas Cage can only ever play himself? Kyle McLachlan can only ever play Trey MacDougal in my mind.

He will forever be the stuck-up conservative guy with perfect manners who cannot get a boner and replies "Okie-Dokey" to whatever his mother tells him to do when she strokes his arm. In fact, I think, he's still Trey in S.H.I.E.L.D - after all, he was also a doctor in SatC. His life just took a very different turn around Y2K... But now he's back to being a crazy, murderous alien-lover.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I cannot tie down Nicolas 'Cage' Coppola down to any role. That guy can be anything.

The next episode will be on December 2. What's going on this week?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some stuff takes off because it's Thanksgiving week.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Error 404 posted:

gently caress are you talking about, Twin Peaks is one of the most notable cultural cornerstones of the 90s. Agents of SHIELD would not exist today if it weren't for Twin Peaks basically reinventing television at the time, and it is coming back in a big way.

I love Dune but that poo poo hasn't really been relevant in, well, ever.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress are you talking about, Twin Peaks is one of the most notable cultural cornerstones of the 90s. Agents of SHIELD would not exist today if it weren't for Twin Peaks basically reinventing television at the time, and it is coming back in a big way.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Exactly. I was going to post something similar, but you nailed it. People who didn't see it for themselves really have no idea how huge TP was.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never seen Twin Peaks myself (I would like to grab the new Blu-ray set), but wasn't it essentially the show that began the more modern, serialised, arc-based type of tv as opposed to episodes always being essentially self-contained? Or was there popular stuff that did that even earlier?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, soaps and prime time soaps. You want a quintessential experimental arc based show that eschews conventions before its time, check out Mary Hartman Mary Hartman

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

I've never seen Twin Peaks myself (I would like to grab the new Blu-ray set), but wasn't it essentially the show that began the more modern, serialised, arc-based type of tv as opposed to episodes always being essentially self-contained? Or was there popular stuff that did that even earlier?

It wasn't really the first show to do arcs, but it, followed by something like X-Files and Homicide, basically showed that it was possible to do a movie-level production on television with actual location shoots and dramatic editing and a score, and was instrumental in popularising the heavily serialised hour-long shows that comprise a large part of modern popular culture to the point where it has become as big of a business as the movie industry. Before Twin Peaks, pretty much every TV show looked like cheap garbage.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 24, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

It wasn't really the first show to do arcs, but it, followed by something like X-Files and Homicide, basically showed that it was possible to do a movie-level production on television with actual location shoots and dramatic editing and a score, and was instrumental in popularising the heavily serialised hour-long shows that comprise a large part of modern popular culture to the point where it has become as big of a business as the movie industry. Before Twin Peaks, pretty much every TV show looked like cheap garbage.

Also there would be no X-files if Twin Peaks did not exist. They share some of the same actors, and they share some of the same themes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hakkesshu posted:

Except for the 'Sting in gold-plated hot pants' fetishists. :vince:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I watched the Get Smart movie on a whim last night, Christian Ward is in it briefly as a secret service agent. That's probably well before White Collar.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also Venture Brothers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The movie is amazing.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 25, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That tantric sex must really work out the core.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I looked like that I'd wear bird underwear too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kingcom posted:

The movie is amazing.

They are also shown here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etoRUtBRd-U

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 38 and Twin Peaks is poo poo. Wanna fight about it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm 42 and agree. Twin Peaks knocked everyone's socks off when it started, sure. But that lasted only up until the point everyone realised they had no loving clue where to take the show and were making it up as it went. Often poorly.

Watching the Battlestar reboot or Lost was the same. Some people raved over them, but I could never get over the fact that they just weren't going anywhere further than drowning in their own accumulated bullshit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm 42 and agree. Twin Peaks knocked everyone's socks off when it started, sure. But that lasted only up until the point everyone realised they had no loving clue where to take the show and were making it up as it went. Often poorly.

Watching the Battlestar reboot or Lost was the same. Some people raved over them, but I could never get over the fact that they just weren't going anywhere further than drowning in their own accumulated bullshit.

Heroes as well. When they changed from the plan of "new people with a new story each season" to keeping the same plot and people you could smell the writers' panic through the TV. Heck, even good TV shows have those moments like Babylon 5 ("you're cancelled" "well, I better shove S5's planned plot into S4, thanks for the heads up" "They loved it, give us another season!" "...crap.")

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rocksicles posted:

I'm 38 and Twin Peaks is poo poo. Wanna fight about it?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no, I absolutly agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Last Resort was the same thing. Pilot has a nuclear submarine captain declare sovereignty, follow-up episodes spent as much, if not more, time on relationship drama than the actual geo-political consequences of him launching and detonating a nuke off the east coast.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread