Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Glockamole posted:

So I have the green light from the significant otherfor a slow cooker now. Is any brand better reputed than another? Huge is important; no less than 6 quarts. Red would be nice, but big and reliable is more important than red.

Go to a thrift shop and see if there is one there that will satisfy your needs. Otherwise if you want to spend a bit more, this one isn't bad: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P2NG0K

It's nice to be able to have the temp drop from high/low to warming when the desired cook time has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Glockamole posted:

So I have the green light from the significant otherfor a slow cooker now. Is any brand better reputed than another? Huge is important; no less than 6 quarts. Red would be nice, but big and reliable is more important than red.

We're really happy with the Nesco roaster oven. It allows you set an actual temperature between 150 and 450 rather than just the hi/low you see in standard slow cookers. They have 6, 12, and 18 quart sizes and the 6 and 18 come in red.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

What have people found to be a good size for a small saucepan/saucier? I want to get something for melting butter, making smaller amounts of sauces, making drinking chocolate, etc. I'm torn between a 1qt or 2qts.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

.Z. posted:

What have people found to be a good size for a small saucepan/saucier? I want to get something for melting butter, making smaller amounts of sauces, making drinking chocolate, etc. I'm torn between a 1qt or 2qts.

2qt all the way.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

.Z. posted:

There's nothing stopping you from putting 1qt batches into a 2qt pan, but not the other way around. When you have two sizes to choose from that are close to each other, almost always go bigger.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I see what you guys meant about Newegg's shippers. My KitchenAid mixer was delivered today, which is pretty nice since it just shipped yesterday. I happened to go home for lunch today -- I live really close to work, I have tomato soup to use up, and I can throw together a grilled cheese sandwich quickly -- and it's a good thing I did. I live in a high-rise and my front desk accepts packages for me, but for some reason it was delivered by a guy who brought it up to my apartment door, rang the doorbell, and ran away for some reason. I'm glad I was here to bring it inside rather than just sitting out in the hallway. It's unlikely anything would have happened to it, but I feel better knowing it's secured.

Cookies and scones this week!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

.Z. posted:

Whichever one fits your small burner the best, probably the 2 qt.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

.Z. posted:

If you're only going to get one of two kitchen tools then, all else being equal, go with the bigger one.

That said, I use a 1 quart saucier all the loving time, way more than I use a 2 quart for sauces. For poo poo knocked out à la minute (usually cooking for two) a quart is fine, and for poo poo I'm making a big batch of because it's a huge production I'm more likely to go for 8-12 quarts or whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have an anodized aluminum stock pot? Does the anodized layer keep well or does it scratch and expose the aluminum eventually?

Do I absolutely need a 12 qt stockpot, or do you think I can get by with an 8 qt stockpot?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If anyone needs a powerful blender i HIGHLY recommend the farberware 4 speed at walmart for $40. It is 800 watts, has a program that spins up the blades to different speeds, stops, slows, fast, etc and mixes everything perfectly. It is as good as the $100 plus ninja that my mother has. The small drink cup option works well too but will often spin the blender on the counter around if you don't hold it due to the power of the motor. The connector between the 4 blades and the motor is metal too. A++

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22959002?...0380152&veh=sem

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, I purchased the Kitchenaid scraping beater for $40 and the cookie dough I was making just rode up the beater. So I got one of these and it works great and was half the price.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Can anybody recommend a food processor that works well for making almond butter? The 14 cup Cuisinart mentioned in the OP comes in two different flavors ($180 vs. $260) and I don't know if the difference is important enough for my application.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Does anyone have an anodized aluminum stock pot? Does the anodized layer keep well or does it scratch and expose the aluminum eventually?

Do I absolutely need a 12 qt stockpot, or do you think I can get by with an 8 qt stockpot?

I use a 16qt most of the time, well worth having around. Can't imagine using a half size one.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theHUNGERian posted:

Can anybody recommend a food processor that works well for making almond butter? The 14 cup Cuisinart mentioned in the OP comes in two different flavors ($180 vs. $260) and I don't know if the difference is important enough for my application.

The more expensive one is going to have a beefier engine, which can be nice for processing anything tougher like nuts. If you think you'll be making a lot of it though? I grew up with one of these in the kitchen and it's like having peanut butter on tap. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well for almond butter.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The more expensive one is going to have a beefier engine, which can be nice for processing anything tougher like nuts. If you think you'll be making a lot of it though? I grew up with one of these in the kitchen and it's like having peanut butter on tap. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well for almond butter.

Yeah, I think I'll be making a lot. It's safe to assume that I won't be making much else with it. I just went over my grocery expenses for the last three months and I see a spike which correlates well with my discovery of an addictive dish that uses almond butter. Currently I'm buying it at ~$14 per 16 oz jar.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theHUNGERian posted:

Yeah, I think I'll be making a lot. It's safe to assume that I won't be making much else with it. I just went over my grocery expenses for the last three months and I see a spike which correlates well with my discovery of an addictive dish that uses almond butter. Currently I'm buying it at ~$14 per 16 oz jar.

What's the dish :allears:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What's the dish :allears:

1-2 bananas
4-6 dates
1 spoon of almond butter
add almond milk
blend on high

I typically have 0.8 liters of this at 7:30am, and I'm not hungry until 2pm. Sometimes I substitute the almond butter with skyr yoghurt. For an evening drink, you can substitute the dates with peaches and add some Bailey's Irish cream.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theHUNGERian posted:

1-2 bananas
4-6 dates
1 spoon of almond butter
add almond milk
blend on high

I typically have 0.8 liters of this at 7:30am, and I'm not hungry until 2pm. Sometimes I substitute the almond butter with skyr yoghurt. For an evening drink, you can substitute the dates with peaches and add some Bailey's Irish cream.

Ima try that. And you should get a good food processor, you seem like someone who'd get real use out of it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone know why the All-Clad 12" frying pan with lid is so much cheaper than the 12" frying pan without?

12" w/ Lid - $120: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QJEWB2
12" w/o Lid - $145: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T6MSIS

And this holds true when I check All-Clad's site. They are both part of the same stainless steel line. And when I compare the specs section on All-clad they have the same description. Am I missing something? Or are they really arbitrarily charging more for the version that doesn't come with a lid?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
When homebrew suppliers call a mesh "coarse" how coarse do they mean (as in http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Straining-Bag--Coarse-Mesh/dp/B006O2F5GC) -- I want an easier way to drop/retrieve eggs from my water bath, which is kind of deep, and I thought a reusable mesh bag would be a good choice, but it needs to be a loose enough weave that waterflow isn't blocked. Recommendations?

ETA: these http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Nylon-Mesh-Stuff-Sack/dp/B008YVDFCW look like exactly what I was thinking of. Anyone know how likely they are to cause death?

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 23, 2014

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ima try that. And you should get a good food processor, you seem like someone who'd get real use out of it.

Try it with whole raw Medjool dates.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Is anyone else trying to line up the best deal possible on a kitchen aid mixer? Right now the best deal I've found is the 5 quart professional one on new eggs black friday ad:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...&SID=web-mobile

The ad says it should be 220 or so on Friday I guess?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

theHUNGERian posted:

Why not splurge on a good blender and make the whole thing on a Vitamix/Blendtec/Warner/etc?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Any current consensus on a sub-$100 food processor? We won't be doing anything particularly fancy or putting a whole lot of strain on the motor, but we have a couple recipes we want to try out that having a processor would be good for.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I'm planning on getting the 5.5 cup Zojirushi, but if I plan to steam stuff while I'm cooking rice for 2-3 people, is the 10 cup bigger or is it too big? I usually only cook 2 cups of dry rice or so.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

adebisi lives posted:

Is anyone else trying to line up the best deal possible on a kitchen aid mixer? Right now the best deal I've found is the 5 quart professional one on new eggs black friday ad:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...&SID=web-mobile

The ad says it should be 220 or so on Friday I guess?

I just ordered a 4.5 quart KitchenAid mixer for basically 100 dollars after a mail in rebate and Kohl's cash. This is a pretty killer deal, just follow the directions:

http://www.survivingthestores.com/best-deal-kitchenaid-mixer.html

Does anyone else have the 4.5 quart model? Does it get the job done?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

adebisi lives posted:

I just ordered a 4.5 quart KitchenAid mixer for basically 100 dollars after a mail in rebate and Kohl's cash. This is a pretty killer deal, just follow the directions:

http://www.survivingthestores.com/best-deal-kitchenaid-mixer.html

Does anyone else have the 4.5 quart model? Does it get the job done?

I have a 4.5, so far I haven't had any complaints

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Any current consensus on a sub-$100 food processor? We won't be doing anything particularly fancy or putting a whole lot of strain on the motor, but we have a couple recipes we want to try out that having a processor would be good for.

Cuisinart 7 cup is just barely within budget and does everything I need it to, including a lot of bread dough

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Happiness Commando posted:

Cuisinart 7 cup is just barely within budget and does everything I need it to, including a lot of bread dough

I'll keep an eye on that and hope it's still on sale after the first.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Girlfriend brought her Silpat mat here last weekend for us to bake with. It was nice. If I want to get my own, do I need to buy actual Silpat, or are the knockoffs fine?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'll keep an eye on that and hope it's still on sale after the first.
I actually have the same one on my Christmas list. Get it from Bed Bath & Beyond. It also starts at $100, but they have constant 20% off coupons.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

guppy posted:

Girlfriend brought her Silpat mat here last weekend for us to bake with. It was nice. If I want to get my own, do I need to buy actual Silpat, or are the knockoffs fine?

The knockoffs are fine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm pretty sure this is one of those questions that this whole thread is sick of by now, but...

What's the consensus opinion on those Ninja blenders/food processors? I've had my eye on one of the higher-power models for a little while, and I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with them, or if it's a product you might recommend.

I'm looking for a good all-around system that can chop things up, mix dough, crush ice, blend crushed ice and fruit into smoothies, make sauces/salsas/dressings/pestos... basically a whole bunch of stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
"Pretty good for the price" seems to be the goonsensus about it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Actually while I'm here, is this a good thread to ask for recommendations on electric grills/smokers? Or just grills/smokers that don't use an open flame as a heating element?

I'm looking for either an outdoor-type (read: "NOT the George Foreman type") grill and a smoker separately, or something that functions as both a grill and a traditional smoker (assuming such a product even exists). I already know where to find electric vertical smokers if I have to buy the two things separately, but I have no idea where to even begin looking for an outdoor-type grill or grill/smoker combo that don't use open flames.

EDIT: If this question belongs better in another thread, please point me to it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 25, 2014

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So is there any meaningful difference between $300+ blenders excluding the jump to absurd 4 digit priced things.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm pretty sure this is one of those questions that this whole thread is sick of by now, but...

What's the consensus opinion on those Ninja blenders/food processors? I've had my eye on one of the higher-power models for a little while, and I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with them, or if it's a product you might recommend.

I'm looking for a good all-around system that can chop things up, mix dough, crush ice, blend crushed ice and fruit into smoothies, make sauces/salsas/dressings/pestos... basically a whole bunch of stuff.

I thought the 100 dollar Ninja was good when I had one, until I bought a vitamix and finally saw the light. It really doesn't crush ice well enough, the lids are annoying as poo poo and I totally killed the fucker when I made dough in it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Sextro posted:

So is there any meaningful difference between $300+ blenders excluding the jump to absurd 4 digit priced things.

You mean like $1k+ blenders? Usually more powerful motors, higher strength gears, larger capacity. We've got a 2 gallon vitamix that is just heavenly for large batches of soup and the like.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Also many of the commercial food service models have integrated covers to lower the noise level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I figured as much. Ideally I'll grab a commercial vitamix from some failed cafe for cheapish, I'm also impatient so when I inevitably give up is there a difference between blendtec, vitamix, or whoever at the 3-400 range?

• Locked thread