Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
Farming those Dragon Shards was lengthy but not too difficult. I like that monsters respawn just by leaving the room, not the whole cave. I just ran in and out of the Secret Smithy, killing the Lava Golem 'til I got like 10 shards. Then I crafted the hell out of some Paladin Swords and Knightly Shields and finally Hero-ranked Blacksmith.

The Hero job outfits are really nice, but it kinda bums me out that they're better than stuff that I can craft. I mean, crafting your own gear is the best part of the game. I'm hoping you can eventually learn to make the outfits at a high enough Life rank.

Now I'm off to farm the elemental stones. Still loving this game after nearly 100 hours. I wish I had someone to trade items with regularly, 'cause I keep making sweet paladin and mercenary gear and just vendoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

g0lbez posted:

She'll offer to join you as soon as you accept her special request, you don't have to complete it before she offers to join. Same with any other master.

Moth Queen is a random spawn in the Ancient Ruins that will replace a spawn point for a Flame Moth. If you see three Flame Moths without finding the Moth Queen then go sleep somewhere and come back.

Cool, thanks to you I am now rocking a magical kitty of my very own! (Plus Odin for Team Back in Black, as I have come to call them.)

Now on the hunt for a Queen Moth!

EDIT: Found her! That was easy.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 20, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You have to be a master tailor to hit legendary miner, just a heads up.

Also, not sure if this is common knowledge, but it seems you can have more than 99 of an item in your bag, the counter just doesn't reflect it. I've been buying sets of 99 desert tuna and then buying one more, and being able to craft five sets of ten stews.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Emron posted:

I'm a Creator Miner and like, Apprentice Tailor :confused:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm a Creator Miner and like, Apprentice Tailor :confused:

poo poo, I meant blacksmith. There's a recipe that needs stardust linen. I think if I had 20 points more in str I could hit creator miner. I just need the divine stone, but I'm only hitting it for 11 or so with strong hits in the weak point.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Emron posted:

Also, not sure if this is common knowledge, but it seems you can have more than 99 of an item in your bag, the counter just doesn't reflect it. I've been buying sets of 99 desert tuna and then buying one more, and being able to craft five sets of ten stews.

You can have items in stacks of 99. 100 Springwaters takes up 2 slots.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

How Ingratiating! posted:

You can have items in stacks of 99. 100 Springwaters takes up 2 slots.

And here I thought I'd beaten the system.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Emron posted:

You have to be a master tailor to hit legendary blacksmith, just a heads up.

This is bad news for me, I haven't touched tailoring but I'm halfway through Hero blacksmith. Maybe I can find some kind soul willing to trade.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Scrape posted:

This is bad news for me, I haven't touched tailoring but I'm halfway through Hero blacksmith. Maybe I can find some kind soul willing to trade.

I'm a demicreator tailor, I'm happy to help people out with materials if they end up needing stardust linen or whatever!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
What makes "High Level" crafts different from the others? Like, if you're an Adept blacksmith there might be a craft that's specifically labelled "High Level".

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Shnooks posted:

What makes "High Level" crafts different from the others? Like, if you're an Adept blacksmith there might be a craft that's specifically labelled "High Level".

As far as I know the high level crafts give more exp.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grrl Anachronism posted:

As far as I know the high level crafts give more exp.

They're also harder to make.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Shnooks posted:

High Level crafts play the crafting boss music. And give more exp.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
So for anyone contemplating the DLC - I am 48 hours in an still cannot access it. You need to be level 50, and I am 47. I meet the other requirements but am leveling up a few jobs to try and hit 50, which is definitely a bit slower. Not regretting the DLC purchase at all, but boy do they make you work for it.

That said, how the hell do I get to expert Magician? The unlocked quests are not nearly enough to get me there.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ragequit posted:

So for anyone contemplating the DLC - I am 48 hours in an still cannot access it. You need to be level 50, and I am 47. I meet the other requirements but am leveling up a few jobs to try and hit 50, which is definitely a bit slower. Not regretting the DLC purchase at all, but boy do they make you work for it.

That said, how the hell do I get to expert Magician? The unlocked quests are not nearly enough to get me there.

If you don't have enough quests, run around and talk to the magician class NPCs until one of them gives you another one. Granted they'll probably be ones like "Go kill this badass wraith"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lord of Pie posted:

If you don't have enough quests, run around and talk to the magician class NPCs until one of them gives you another one. Granted they'll probably be ones like "Go kill this badass wraith"

Got one from the magician in the third city and already completed that quest. Am still around 600 stars shy of expert. Magician is really not a fun class.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ragequit posted:

Got one from the magician in the third city and already completed that quest. Am still around 600 stars shy of expert. Magician is really not a fun class.

There's also Colin who stands outside of the Ancient Ruins. He gives a few quests. Bumbles in Port Puerto gives one too, as well as Nox if you've forgotten to talk to him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ragequit posted:

Magicians need to kill Jellings, Frogs, and Weedlings.

There's a bunch of frogs and Jellings in Subterranean Lake in the desert. There's also Jellings in the Ancient Ruins and a rare one on Cacto Cove.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

hey uh, the op posted a link to some list of items that are optimal for grinding to get to skill lvl 15, for the various classes. it was in japanese. does anyone have it handy?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Corridor posted:

hey uh, the op posted a link to some list of items that are optimal for grinding to get to skill lvl 15, for the various classes. it was in japanese. does anyone have it handy?

It was probably this page for lvl 15 and this page for lvl 20.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thank u

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Oh snap, got this game yesterday, used of all things. I've played 4 hours in a day. I can see where the hours fly by. :3

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

how do i get pam or whomever to start offering me lunares coin requests? i've done the first dlc chapter and i can free-roam origin island, and i took yuellia and noellia to the desk and the memo just said 'get coins' but pam just sits there like a fat lump and doesn't do poo poo. do i need to do more chapters? everything i can find about it just says 'finish the main story and pam will start offering requests'.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

pam and flutter are the worst characters, imo

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Corridor posted:

how do i get pam or whomever to start offering me lunares coin requests? i've done the first dlc chapter and i can free-roam origin island, and i took yuellia and noellia to the desk and the memo just said 'get coins' but pam just sits there like a fat lump and doesn't do poo poo. do i need to do more chapters? everything i can find about it just says 'finish the main story and pam will start offering requests'.

Did you do all the butterfly requests that include going to the goddess statues in each town? Try the first town's statue first, which is due north of pam's house. Then go to each other town in turn to see their statue.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Did you do all the butterfly requests that include going to the goddess statues in each town? Try the first town's statue first, which is due north of pam's house. Then go to each other town in turn to see their statue.

naw i haven't done those, i assumed they'd rope me into another origin island chapter which i don't feel like doing yet. i'll get to it i guess

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Are the Lunares coin things DLC only?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

guppy posted:

Are the Lunares coin things DLC only?

yeah

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

turns out i had to finish the origin island story before i could get lunares coins, weird how i couldnt get that info anywhere

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lol the statue prizes are random? lame

apparently youre supposed to exchange them with buds, that could be neat, if multiplayer wasnt kind of garbage

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Corridor posted:

lol the statue prizes are random? lame

apparently youre supposed to exchange them with buds, that could be neat, if multiplayer wasnt kind of garbage

Can you get duplicates? That would be terrible.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Can you get duplicates? That would be terrible.

i dont know. i do know that i tried to savescum at the elderwood statue and got unicorn saddle every single time, either i had really lovely luck or the prize u get is preset at some point

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

You can get duplicates one after the other, it's super annoying :|

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

One other heads up: the cave of shadows and the yellow hut in the elder wood open up after you hang out with Odin and Pino in your party, respectively. You'll get a letter saying you can check them out. It's probably postgame only, as well.

Tailor was really easy to get to master, but now I'm into the level of crafting challenges that need rarer drops from tough fights, which I think might suck. I think I need to hang out as a paladin on Origin Island and just do some leveling in the tower for a while.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

I'm pretty sure this was covered, but I can't find it: how do I get Fern the Hunter Master to join me? I Creator-ranked Hunter and am level 82, but all she does is chat. Is there a level requirement or something else? I've opened Origin Island but not complleted it.

Edit: some crafting item info I've found, for the curious:
When crafting tools, here are what some items do:
Giant Fang= +Boss damage
Giant Tree Nuts= +Great deposit/tree damage
Giant Scale= +Charged attack damage

And the +Attack, +Tool, +Magic crafting gems drop from ore bounties. Great Magma in Lava Cave, Great Platinum in Cave of Ice, Great Marine Ore in Nautilus Cave.

Scrape fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 25, 2014

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah, you have to finish Origin Island to get the special requests from the life masters (which is the very thing that lets you recruit them). Fair warning, the special requests are pretty ridiculous. The monsters will kill you in two hits, the gathering nodes will proudly display many 0's, and the crafting recipes (which also have boss monsters to fight for the materials) take so long that you don't even have time to fill up your creator rank auto-complete power. At least, not until you've got 100 in that life's main stat, a secondary stat maxed, too, and really good tools.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah, you have to finish Origin Island to get the special requests from the life masters (which is the very thing that lets you recruit them). Fair warning, the special requests are pretty ridiculous. The monsters will kill you in two hits, the gathering nodes will proudly display many 0's, and the crafting recipes (which also have boss monsters to fight for the materials) take so long that you don't even have time to fill up your creator rank auto-complete power. At least, not until you've got 100 in that life's main stat, a secondary stat maxed, too, and really good tools.

To be fair, you only have to accept their request to recruit them, not complete it. You can also cancel it and continue to recruit them.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I'm at the point where I don't know how to continue with this game. I'm currently 50 stars from expert mage, and the only quest I've got left is gale ghoul. Im lvl 23 wearing shell amour. I cannot make a dent on this guy, and he one hits me and my allies.

Are there other quests I can find from people besides the life master, or is there a strategy to beating this guy that I'm not picking up on?

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I'm at the point where I don't know how to continue with this game. I'm currently 50 stars from expert mage, and the only quest I've got left is gale ghoul. Im lvl 23 wearing shell amour. I cannot make a dent on this guy, and he one hits me and my allies.

Are there other quests I can find from people besides the life master, or is there a strategy to beating this guy that I'm not picking up on?

That's the desert one, right? If so, go into the cave just below him. Even though the quests don't show up yet, you still get stars from killing the frogs and jellies in there. That's how I did it, anyways, because gently caress all the Ghouls. And I'm wearing the blue robe with a Water Mana+ slapped on for good measure, and I barely scratch him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The wraiths are end game level poo poo. Im almost 50 paladin and cant kill those guys. Fortunately Im not a wizard and don't have to.

Generally if you cant rank up in your Life the answer is to advance the story a bit and/or level another Life for a while. You level up and gain stats whether youre killing stuff or cutting down trees.

• Locked thread