Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
After playing MP with a few goons last night, I decided to start another Inquisitor, this time a DW Rogue with intentions to spec Assassin. Meet Pietro:

... I think I might have a problem with starting new Inquisitors one after the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

mania posted:

Fully voiced. You even get to pick between two different voices!
Pick the non British one. The British accent kind of sounds like an insincere rear end in a top hat, no matter what the dialogue actually says.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I've kept myself in the dark about this game.

Will pressing a button make awesome happen?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I can't find the second skull thingie to reveal shards in Emerald Graves, I have the one that revealed the 7 in the southern area, but I missed the one for the northern area somehow. Where is it? I'm pretty sure I have the whole map uncovered.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just got to Skyhold. Meeting Hawke was pretty cool, I did not expect that. Although, her voice is a lot softer for the anti-mage mage villain she was during her adventure....

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Any advice on builds? Easy to ruin/break a character or just pick a build online and roll with it?

Play a mage, they wipe the floor with pretty much anything else.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Since I'm not really engrossed in the particulars of the story I went ahead and spoiled myself to things. I wonder how much of the arc of this series' story was decided in the world building stage and how much was made up game to game, tie-in book to book. It's surprisingly cohesive, what with the initial introduction of Elven mythology in DAO, the out of place callbacks to Fen'Harel in DAII, and of course the books which I didn't read. Here's hoping they can pull a Metal Gear Solid 4 and wrap up all this crap neatly; they're in a better place than I thought they'd be to do it. If EA doesn't stretch this to 100203 games, here's hoping for a Tevinter/Arlathan/Qunari lands cause why not in DAIV.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Illegal Username posted:

If anything, this game reminds me of the first time I played Oblivion. Closing demon portals, dumb AI buddies, spotty writing, my horse getting stuck traveling a hill at a near vertical angle... I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - for the harder fights I play tact mode and turn the AI for my team off so I can control everything regarding mana/stamina use, and I also order them to hold their positions. Why the gently caress otherwise does my mage run right up the gently caress close to an enemy if I let him do his own thing?

Illegal Username posted:

Kinda yes, kinda no. There are many rather glaring and obnoxious UI flaws both in and out of combat, but overall still manages to be pretty cool.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
There should be an achievement: "hosed around in the Hinterlands for 20 hours"

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Here is my Inquistor, Eisenhorn :commissar:

A quick question, varric keeps going on about there being something here:

The ping seems to point at the waterfall, but there is no way inside it from what i can see, nor can i get up there. What exactly am i looking for.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I'm getting sick of these battles quickly devolving into potion chugging contents. Why is there no other way to heal in this game?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I'm getting sick of these battles quickly devolving into potion chugging contents. Why is there no other way to heal in this game?

Cast more barriers.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Because apparently that makes balancing combat impossible according to Bioware. I'm not sure "balanced" is a word I'd use to describe this game though but yeah.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Toss all of your skill points into getting the best barrier possible until you can specialize if you are playing as a mage.

Or play on normal difficulty.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Agreed. I don't understand this design choice.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

There is one for Knight Enchanters, but that takes Focus, a resource that only grows over battles instead of regenerating. Instead of healing, you should depend on both barriers and guards. It's rough at the start, but a few ability points can make you all extremely tough, even dangling on the edge of death. After leveling up Knight Enchanter, enemies can barely scratch my Inquisitor.

Honestly, I'm not sure giving us a lot of heal spells would help that much given how fast enemies can whittle you down. As it is now, avoiding damage at all is more important than healing it.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 23, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

UberJumper posted:

Here is my Inquistor, Eisenhorn :commissar:

A quick question, varric keeps going on about there being something here:

The ping seems to point at the waterfall, but there is no way inside it from what i can see, nor can i get up there. What exactly am i looking for.

You have to go up. There is a ledge above and in front of you. to get there backtrack along your left side until you see a way to get up.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
After coming to this game straight from Dragon Age Oranges I'm a bit confused by magic. I have 5 or 6 spells but it seems I'm only allowed to cast 1 every 10 seconds? I have enough mana, it just won't let me cast a second spell right away, unlike in Origin where you could unload your whole action bar if you had the mana.

So now I only use 1 or 2 spells for most battles, which kinda sucks. Is this their idea of balancing the combat?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They did a good job with the character creator. Haven't recreated my crazy old wizard from DA:O yet though.

Mage

Archer

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Well I might need to start the current mission I'm on all over again because I'm at a point where I can no longer replenish my potion supply and I'm no where near getting this trebuchet armed.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Here's my massive-chined Inquisitor

It didn't look quite that big in the character creator :ohdear:

Varric approves of my "make this poo poo up as I go along" attitude

Guard skills on warriors. At higher levels they make warriors almost invincible. Let them go in first and take the hits. Unfortunately, as with many MMOs, there are far too many idiots online in cloth or leather armour who think they can take as much damage as the guy covered in metal and charge in first :ughh:

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

is it norma for companions to disappear? I can't find iron bull in the tavern after doing his quest

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Here's my massive-chined Inquisitor

Your Chinquisitor?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So is there a screenshot function? I don't see it in the keybinds, and so far I haven't found any screenshots stored anywhere. I can use print-screen of course, and then dump the clipboard into paint or whatever, but then I have to crop it since that captures all three monitors.

I'm probably just stupid and missing the obvious included screenshot key.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
How do I stop this game from crashing every other round in multiplayer? C'mon Bioware C'moooooooooon!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

The Locator posted:

So is there a screenshot function? I don't see it in the keybinds, and so far I haven't found any screenshots stored anywhere. I can use print-screen of course, and then dump the clipboard into paint or whatever, but then I have to crop it since that captures all three monitors.

I'm probably just stupid and missing the obvious included screenshot key.

Print Screen. The screenshot folder should be in users/my documents/Bioware/Dragon Age Inquisition

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Print Screen. The screenshot folder should be in users/my documents/Bioware/Dragon Age Inquisition

So yea, I was being stupid - I kept looking in the Origins folder. :doh:

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

SoggyGravy posted:

How do I stop this game from crashing every other round in multiplayer? C'mon Bioware C'moooooooooon!

If you're running that FPS fix some people posted earlier in the thread, turn it off. It messes up multiplayer pretty bad.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Does chain lightning arc between two targets extra times if there are no other targets nearby? I am having difficulty telling.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

You don't need to kill wraiths they are specifically called wisp's and they are fixed spawns in these locations

Where did you get those revealed maps?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, that's an odd bug. For some reason my Knight Enchanter's Spirit Blade is now invisible. I can't see the big yellow blade or the hilt anymore, just the yellow "trails" and a glow around his hand. This happened last night and continues today and persists through changing graphics settings.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Dick Trauma posted:

They did a good job with the character creator. Haven't recreated my crazy old wizard from DA:O yet though.

Mage

Archer

Your archer looks like she came in like a wrecking ball....

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

There should be at least a few skills that let you regenerate health either by doing damage, killing, or after fights. Absolutely stripping healing from the game aside from a limited amount of potions is an extraordinarily heavy handed dumbass decision.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Well I might need to start the current mission I'm on all over again because I'm at a point where I can no longer replenish my potion supply and I'm no where near getting this trebuchet armed.
This was nearly me. I reloaded the autosave at the chantry. Run to the trebuchet with disengage, you should have full potions and a restock at the trebuchet. Don't turn the trebuchet until everyone's down. You can save between waves. When the boss spawns, kill all the adds and then fully turn the wheel. I didn't have to kill the boss to complete the quest. Not sure if it's a bug or not. I found it very tough at level 9 on hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happened to me, too. I eventually got through it by going really micromanage-y on all four of my characters. I stopped letting either of my Mages (Inquisitor and Dorian) cast Barrier on their own so that I could intentionally time them so I always had Barrier up, had people constantly moving around to avoid getting surrounded (both Mages had Fade Step, Cassandra as my tank had that charge move), and just took it super slow. Ended up being really fun, but gently caress was that frustrating for a while.

Bob NewSCART posted:

There should be at least a few skills that let you regenerate health either by doing damage, killing, or after fights. Absolutely stripping healing from the game aside from a limited amount of potions is an extraordinarily heavy handed dumbass decision.

It isn't as bad as it first appears, really. You've got Barrier and Guard to keep you from taking health damage and multiple types of potions to restore health (you can craft Regeneration Potions that give you a heal-over-time effect that you can equip alongside your regular potions). I'm about level 11 on Hard and I've just about stopped taking health damage in most fights (difficult fights still get to me sometimes) now that I've figured out how to best exploit crowd control and use Barriers when and where they're needed.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 23, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any good strategies for fighting the Demon Commander as a dual-dagger rogue in multiplayer? I can barely get any hits in before its 90% slow gets me and that blast takes 75% of my health off. It's probably the most frustrating boss battle. It doesn't help that it doesn't telegraph that stupid teleport either and that usually one hit kills. It's probably the shittiest boss in multiplayer.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

If you pretend that Barrier and Guard are life bars, then there's lots of healing in the game!
(Barrier and Guard are life bars. If you're taking hp damage, you made a mistake.)

Though you can craft a weapon bit that gives you hp on kills, that's always nice.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

There's the Reaver spec, that cheese wheel shield, and the Red Lyrium weapons give health back on kills (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Byers2142 posted:

After playing MP with a few goons last night, I decided to start another Inquisitor, this time a DW Rogue with intentions to spec Assassin. Meet Pietro:

... I think I might have a problem with starting new Inquisitors one after the other.

yeah the character creator is pretty good for males, especially darker skinned. My current mage:

• Locked thread