Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

So was I the only one who made note that Cumpa called everyone an Earthnoid and that they all should die? The threat from space is probably closer than the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

gently caress yeah, monoeye!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I laughed at all the "god drat weekendday warriors" comments from the Colonel. It seems evident now that he's not from around these parts, and is playing entirely his own game (although the Pope seems in on it?).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guyver posted:

So was I the only one who made note that Cumpa called everyone an Earthnoid and that they all should die? The threat from space is probably closer than the moon.

I noticed that too. Definitely a nonchalant way of revealing that so I guess it's par for the course with the show.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Neat random detail someone pointed out elsewhere:

Grimoire pilot put up a mosquito net. Suck it, malaria.

Caros
May 14, 2008

John Carstairs posted:

Neat random detail someone pointed out elsewhere:

Grimoire pilot put up a mosquito net. Suck it, malaria.

I thought I'd actually pointed that out earlier, but it appears I forgot to. Its definately the best touch of the episode, and one of the odd things about G-reco. At times the cast is incredibly pragmatic and detailed oriented, and at times they are bizarrely uncaring.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

BANANA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Can someone explain the ending to me? They were talking about the threat from space, then it looked like the same people who resupplied the megafauna came in and took Bellri and his friends away? I don't get it.

Glad I wasn't the only one having trouble following that. Obviously the answer was "bad poo poo," but the question was what kind of bad poo poo? poo poo from space? poo poo from the army? And why the hell leave your high ranking dignitaries out of the rescue plan?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one having trouble following that. Obviously the answer was "bad poo poo," but the question was what kind of bad poo poo? poo poo from space? poo poo from the army? And why the hell leave your high ranking dignitaries out of the rescue plan?

That bugged me too. Considering everyone important is gathered at the tower, on a day when the entire military is very obviously sauced, I'm wondering if the Threat from Space has turned up. Pulling Aida and Bellri out would make sense if it's a scramble order to try and get them to their Mobile Suits.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Goddamn, Mask is such a close second behind Klim for best character. :allears:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Good episode, I love Tomino's wildlife/country-side shots. Capital Army: We don't work on weekends!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it possible they landed in an old jaburo hanger?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear the Navigator talking in english throws me off every time it happens.

I'm told that Steer's voice actress, Michelle Yumiko Payne, is half Australian, half Japanese. She also sings in English.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Sure. It is South America, and if their comments are to be taken literally, they passed Angel Falls. They'd be in the area assuming they're flying south from the Caribbean area and that the Capital Tower is located somewhere on the Amazon River.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

aida.png

I still enjoy how chill everyone is, and how not-chill Mask is. Also I have no idea what happened at the end, but I'm sure we'll see it next episode anyways. Most I get is that Pope is untrustworthy and that other guy in white (Cumpa?) is also untrustworthy.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

That's definitely what it seemed to be, at least. Location and state of repair and everything seemed to reinforce that.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

What intrigues me is what the Pope's relationship with Noredo is.
He stops mid-talk to greet her. He already greeted her in an earlier episode, but that just seemed to imply he is close to ordinary people.
Maybe Noredo is an agent for him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

What intrigues me is what the Pope's relationship with Noredo is.
He stops mid-talk to greet her. He already greeted her in an earlier episode, but that just seemed to imply he is close to ordinary people.
Maybe Noredo is an agent for him.

Or family?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Sure. It is South America, and if their comments are to be taken literally, they passed Angel Falls. They'd be in the area assuming they're flying south from the Caribbean area and that the Capital Tower is located somewhere on the Amazon River.

They explicitly said that they weren't near Angel Falls - there's a lot of waterfalls in the area that look like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The word is Hangar, with an A. Hanger is something like coathanger.

:goonsay:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Or family?

He greets her with her full name and it's always about the church.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Space Pope just has a secret addiction to Long Pork.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If they're family, wouldn't that mean the Pope is a kuntala?

You'd think discrimination against them wouldn't so overt in that case.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Well, she then proceeds to for the first time hit an actual, important target.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Most I get is that Pope is untrustworthy and that other guy in white (Cumpa?) is also untrustworthy.

I don't think the pope has come across as untrustworthy, per say, more like he's just very (unsurprisingly) pro SU-cordism. He answers the questions the cast are asking him by repeating bits of cordism dogma, and just because he knows more details about the practical workings of the religion than other people doesn't mean he's necessarily some behind the scenes schemer, especially compared to someone like Cumpa who's been shown doing poo poo behind people's backs pretty regularly.

It's probably worth noting too that SU-Cordism has a bunch of religious trappings, but it's more like a philosophy than a straight up religion, and the pope isn't selling them some big mystical truth on life after death or anything like that. They have a bunch of rules and ceremonies and suchlike, but it's not based around achieving some supernatural goal, but a fairly pragmatic attempt to stop war that seems to have worked for a pretty long time. Remains to be seen if the situation unraveling is due to corruption within the capital or just problems with the religion itself like "leave a bunch of people on the moon forever on battery recharging duty".

I want to know how/if the colony around another planet (I think it might have been saturn?) with the big space lake is gonna factor into all this though, since the space threat is being set up to be a lunar one.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You did a good job.

モンテーロおつかれ

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

You did a good job.

モンテーロおつかれ

:911:
May choirs of angels sing you to your rest.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also Final art for the space type Jahanam, and a couple other new suits that haven't shown up yet went on the site.

Worth noting that the Space Jahanam has a blue commander type also.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
SU-Cordism == Space Umbilical-Cordism?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sharkopath posted:

Also Final art for the space type Jahanam, and a couple other new suits that haven't shown up yet went on the site.

Worth noting that the Space Jahanam has a blue commander type also.

Gonna need that gunpla.

Design has been hit-and-miss in Reco-G, but when it's good, it's great.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Gonna need that gunpla.

Design has been hit-and-miss in Reco-G, but when it's good, it's great.

The show has a nice look, but none of the designs have blown me away so far. Grimoire has come closest, but after that beautiful head the rest of the body feels kind of cluttered with too many pointless shapes, which is a criticism I'd level at a lot of the show's designs, especially the Amerian suits. They have a blockier, slightly crappier version of Zeon's aesthetic.

The G-Self just looks like someone stuck the Aile Strike in a rock tumbler and gave it big white horns and a bunch of glowing blue bits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

The word is Hangar, with an A. Hanger is something like coathanger.

:goonsay:

But if you don't store a mobile suit properly, the arms get crumpled up :v:.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But if you don't store a mobile suit properly, the arms get crumpled up :v:.

I know it's pointless grammar nazi-ing (words misspelt? on the internet!? :monocle: ), but this particular msitake is one I can't help but notice. It's cause my first language is french, where hangar is written the same, but hanger is completely different, so it just pops out to me.

Although I could totally see a giant rack where Mobile Suits are hung up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can't believe we're nine episodes in and still using an opening 90% made of hastily stitched together scenes from the first three or so episodes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If it's a case of using the budget to animate entirely new sequences that are aren't actually important regardless of quality or putting them in to fight scenes in the show I'll take the later. It's a shame, but I'm not sure why it's bothering some people enough that they're still grumbling about it after 9 episodes. Sure, Sunrise should be able to afford to have the entire thing at a high quality with a unique opening dozens of times over, but they're obviously not gracing Tomino with that budget and at least he's making half decent use of what he has and not wasting it on TM Revolution for instance.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tbh, the op bothers me a little because it'd be nice if they spent at least the same budget they spent on an ED for the series, but whatever. What's really bugging me about the show is how jarringly low quality the animation can be sometimes (like when klim's MS got blown up). Otherwise, things are ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The opening bothers me largely because not only is it recycled animation (which is fine) but it is poorly recycled animation. The shot choices they made barely fit the song and it ends up looking really really low-effort. I mean I skip the opening mostly at this point but still.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
People watch anime OPs more than once? This honestly shocks me.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
A show that pushes the limits of its budget by trading fluid animation for great backgrounds, keyframes, and composition is doing everything right. The OP might as well be all text on a black background.

edit. VVV Yeah... that was at the limits of stretching the budget.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
The pan up on everyone at the end, finishing with the space pope making a weird hand gesture was too much for me. I couldn't stop laughing.

Great episode, though, I loved all the idyllic scenery in this one.

• Locked thread