Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

icehewk posted:

What are a few winter weight boot models? I'm trying to find something for hunting that should be warm enough to sit around for a few hours but could also get more use than typical hunting boots would. Was thinking of pairing with some gaiters to keep the wind out.

There are a ton of choices. Personally, I think the Salewa Snow Trainer fits really well. But I happen to like the way their shoes and boots fit. The La Sportiva Frost and the Salomon Kaipo are also solid choices from good brands. You could also look at mountaineering boots in general.

Cabella's website lets you sort to insulated hunting boots, but I don't recognize those brands as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So GoLite is apparently filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy. Go online and get what you can while there's still time! They're slashing prices %20 across the board. I always wanted a Shangri-La tent so I'll probably get one now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Website is down for me

Oh well, that kinda sucks I guess. I have a few things from them that I like pretty alright but they always did seem to be a bit too big for a place that's trying to make all their poo poo inhouse or whatever

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone have experience with Crescent Moon snow shoes? Been thinking about buying snowshoes this year and they are made in colorado so...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Double post

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

I know there are some NH dudes that lurk this thread, and am curious to hear how you guys feel about the Hike Safe Card law that's going to be rolled out next year: http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=the-nh-hike-safe-card

The general consensus on some other forums (specifically VFTT) is that this is a waste of money because if you're competent, you won't injure yourself. However I have mixed feelings about that argument, considering that stuff can go wrong very quickly in the backcountry even if you're reasonably prepared, and also taking into account the running track record of cases where the rescued person was deemed "negligent" and got smacked with thousands in rescue costs.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Seems like a decent idea to me, here in Colorado a rescue of some tourist/college kid who has no idea what they're doing is a daily occurence, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars per year in costs. Trying something, anything really to change that system seems good to me. I personally wouldn't buy the card but the system itself seems fine.

My proposed solution was to just have a security checkpoint set up to screen people at every trailhead, if you're wearing North Face or jeans you have no idea what you're doing and shouldn't be allowed on the trail, but apparently the sheriff thought I was joking and didn't implement this.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Isn't that pretty much the same as the colorado search and rescue card (tacked onto fishing/hunting license)? It pays for the rescue but not the medical portion, which I think is how I'm reading that link.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I'm not familiar with the Colorado card but in reading the FAQ it seems the Colorado card is more of a voluntary contribution to the rescue fund? It doesn't seem like the person being rescued is regularly billed in Colorado that I can tell, whereas in New Hampshire they can and do bill you if you're found "negligent".

I remember reading a couple years ago when NH changed the law so that you could be billed for just negligence instead of "recklessness" a bunch of search and rescue organizations were opposed. I'd definitely pay for the card if I lived there but not happily. I wonder if they keep rescue statistics and if the new laws and card will affect rates of negligent and reckless designations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

talktapes posted:

I know there are some NH dudes that lurk this thread, and am curious to hear how you guys feel about the Hike Safe Card law that's going to be rolled out next year: http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=the-nh-hike-safe-card

The general consensus on some other forums (specifically VFTT) is that this is a waste of money because if you're competent, you won't injure yourself. However I have mixed feelings about that argument, considering that stuff can go wrong very quickly in the backcountry even if you're reasonably prepared, and also taking into account the running track record of cases where the rescued person was deemed "negligent" and got smacked with thousands in rescue costs.

Seems like a cash grab that helps them justify their rescue policy. For the most part, the only people who are going to buy that card are people who are reasonably prepared... the jackass that goes up Washington in the spring packless in a cotton t-shirt and shorts isn't going to even know what a Hike Safe Card is. I'm not sure if I'll get one yet. If I do, it's mostly just to support S&R. I'll never get caught in weather or in any situation I couldn't handle o/n, so the only time I'd need it if I need someone to haul my rear end down after some kind of medical emergency, so the only question is if I'm gonna get deemed negligent for having the audacity to break an ankle without a rope in my pack.

[edit: Eh, yeah, whatever, $35/year for the family, I'll just get it.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 15, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Recently bought an Arc-teryx Fortrez hoodie, Lowa hiking shoes, and alpine climbing pants. A relative is also sending me his military-issued Wiggy sleeping bad which can apparently withstand -40 degrees.

The hoody is especially recommended: http://www.rei.com/product/855422/arcteryx-fortrez-hoodie-fleece-jacket-mens

For reference, I was the idiot who hiked in jeans and random layers of clothing my whole life until now.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So GoLite is apparently filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy. Go online and get what you can while there's still time! They're slashing prices %20 across the board. I always wanted a Shangri-La tent so I'll probably get one now.

Good luck. Everything's out of stock (and this was part of their problem: they stopped paying their suppliers and their suppliers stopped supplying). I went to the Boulder store today and it was crowded and very picked over except the largest and smallest sizes of clothes. They had a couple of sleeping bags and day packs left, but almost no other gear. I did get a soft shell jacket, but the clearance prices are still only 20% off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Telesphorus posted:

Recently bought an Arc-teryx Fortrez hoodie, Lowa hiking shoes, and alpine climbing pants. A relative is also sending me his military-issued Wiggy sleeping bad which can apparently withstand -40 degrees.
Wiggy's bags are so nice! Consider yourself lucky. If I ever had the extra money to buy one I would happily. I just dont camp enough in winter to justify it though.

beefnoodle posted:

Good luck. Everything's out of stock (and this was part of their problem: they stopped paying their suppliers and their suppliers stopped supplying). I went to the Boulder store today and it was crowded and very picked over except the largest and smallest sizes of clothes. They had a couple of sleeping bags and day packs left, but almost no other gear. I did get a soft shell jacket, but the clearance prices are still only 20% off.

drat, their site has been up and down too. I think I remember long ago they use to sell through other outlets. Seems like once they decided to just sell everything through their outlets they started to go downhill. Looks like I'll miss out on the tent. Anyone know of any other good pyramid tents that are reasonably priced?

Also I'm looking to buy some used cross country skis for this winter. Can you get away with wearing a synthetic liner and snowpants when skiing? I only ever see people in like tight speedsuits skiing around my neck of the woods.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

drat, their site has been up and down too. I think I remember long ago they use to sell through other outlets. Seems like once they decided to just sell everything through their outlets they started to go downhill. Looks like I'll miss out on the tent. Anyone know of any other good pyramid tents that are reasonably priced?

Also I'm looking to buy some used cross country skis for this winter. Can you get away with wearing a synthetic liner and snowpants when skiing? I only ever see people in like tight speedsuits skiing around my neck of the woods.

Marmot and MSR both make pretty reasonable tents. 3-season mostly, but there are a few winter tents in their lines as well.

The speedsuits are because you build up a shitload of body heat. I usually go in my long johns under a pair of hiking pants, with gaiters to keep the snow out of my boots. A windbreaker and/or a light wool sweater up top. Pay attention to what sort of bindings your skis and boots have, there are a few different systems.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone able to pass on some information regarding snowshoeing? I've been meaning to look into them for a couple winters, and finally have some extra cash. Budgeting like, 120-150 for a set if that's possible.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone able to pass on some information regarding snowshoeing? I've been meaning to look into them for a couple winters, and finally have some extra cash. Budgeting like, 120-150 for a set if that's possible.

My wife and I are currently shopping for snowshoes and I have narrowed it down to atlas, crescent moon or msr. I am not connived there is a huge difference but I have first world problems so...

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I snowshoed 11 miles yesterday, 3586 ft elevation gain over 7 hours or so. I was solo (in my MSR Evos) breaking trail the whole way up Red Crow Mountain. It was windy as hell, reports said -60°F wind chill. Wonderful day.

my mtn's on the left.

it was awfully cold.

nice panoramic, I've climbed lots but not all of these.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

watch out for the drat cornices

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

How do you like the MSR snowshoes? I have been debating between MSR, Atlas and CresentMoons.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Ropes4u posted:

How do you like the MSR snowshoes? I have been debating between MSR, Atlas and CresentMoons.

I love them. All of my snowshoe heroes swear by the Lightning Ascents, but my one pair of red MSR Evo Ascents got me through a ton of poo poo and lasted me fifteen years. I just got a new pair, and they've slimmed down the model, which I like, but they now necessitate tails (sold separately, naturally). I've tried other brands and they work, but some people that I have gone snowshoeing with were awkward on their shiny aluminum-framed shoes until they borrowed my MSRs, and it clicked for them.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Smoove J posted:

I love them. All of my snowshoe heroes swear by the Lightning Ascents, but my one pair of red MSR Evo Ascents got me through a ton of poo poo and lasted me fifteen years. I just got a new pair, and they've slimmed down the model, which I like, but they now necessitate tails (sold separately, naturally). I've tried other brands and they work, but some people that I have gone snowshoeing with were awkward on their shiny aluminum-framed shoes until they borrowed my MSRs, and it clicked for them.

I think it's very environment dependent, I agree in most cases the tails are probably required, but here in Oregon/Washington I think that the snow we get is wet/solid enough to not need the extra float. In places with much drier powder I'm sure they're mandatory. I suppose for 1/3 the price of the shoes they really SHOULD just include them but it'd be a tough sale trying to explain why this MSR pair is $60 more expensive than another pair.

I think I'm going to buy some lightning ascents this winter just because of the thaw/freeze cycles we get around here. Maybe if I can find a cheap pair of XC skis at the December REI gear sale, may be too early for the ski gear to make an appearance though. Time to hit some ski swaps.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

When I look at the MSR Lightnings, I wonder why everybody doesn't use the frame as a traction enhancer like they do. Is it that much heavier than aluminum tubing? Does it get clumps of snow stuck to it too often or something?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MSR gear is 20% off at back country gear if anyone wants to drop cash now.

Thank you for the recommendation!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I bought a jetboil this spring and it treated me pretty well this season but I was also considering an MSR whisperlite at the time. The jetboil does exactly what it's named for incredibly well but it's also kind of cumbersome to pack, the large fuel canister doesn't fit inside the pot with the burner so it ends up knocking around my pack. The other issue I have is that the twist lock on the pot to separate it from the burner doesn't release all that easily so it can be frustrating to work with. The push igniter and windscreen/thermal distributor are definite pros though, as is having the pot as part of the system.

I've been considering exchanging it for a whisperlite universal but I'm not sure that would be entirely an overall better package. Larger, but cheaper fuel bottles with the option to switch to canister in the winter is a bonus but having to pack a separate pot/mug seems a little more inconvenient, but also allows anyone I'm with to use the stove with whatever they brought to cook in.

Anyone care to weigh in on either side?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a whisperlite and I enjoy it though I might pick up a pocket rocket as its much smaller, more convenient and less bulky. Each system has its pros and cons. You can't go wrong with liquid gas systems but they take more time and set up to get to a boil. You have to pump the canister to create pressure and then prime the stove before it is ready to use.

Liquid fuel canisters can be refilled, bought in a variety of sizes, and you can check the amount of fuel as your trip progresses. You can use liquid fuel stoves in all weather and environments and if poo poo hit the fan and your stove broke, you could use the fuel in the canister to start a fire. Camp fuel is also sold just about everywhere so its super easy to find and its really cheap for how long it lasts.

Canister stoves are quick, light, small, and easy to use. You screw it on and click the starter a few times and you're ready to boil. My friends pocket rocket had water boiling before my whisperlite had a steady flame. That said, the canisters of fuel aren't super cheap, they can't be found at most gas stations, when they are empty, they are bulky and you have to bring them back, and there is no way of knowing exactly how much fuel is left other than shaking the container. Their performance also dwindles as they get low on fuel.

This is a decent read of the pros and cons of each system.

http://www.backcountry.com/explore/canister-or-liquid-gas

If you want the smallest possible system, go with something similar to a pocket rocket which attaches directly to a canister. Fuel and stove can both fit into one pot for a completely self contained system. My whisperlite and fuel pump can fit into my 1.1qt pot. Fuel can hangs outside my bag.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 18, 2014

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

I bought a jetboil this spring and it treated me pretty well this season but I was also considering an MSR whisperlite at the time. The jetboil does exactly what it's named for incredibly well but it's also kind of cumbersome to pack, the large fuel canister doesn't fit inside the pot with the burner so it ends up knocking around my pack. The other issue I have is that the twist lock on the pot to separate it from the burner doesn't release all that easily so it can be frustrating to work with. The push igniter and windscreen/thermal distributor are definite pros though, as is having the pot as part of the system.

I've been considering exchanging it for a whisperlite universal but I'm not sure that would be entirely an overall better package. Larger, but cheaper fuel bottles with the option to switch to canister in the winter is a bonus but having to pack a separate pot/mug seems a little more inconvenient, but also allows anyone I'm with to use the stove with whatever they brought to cook in.

Anyone care to weigh in on either side?

I feel like stoves are the source of as much internet nerd hiking bickering as any one item can be. It comes down to personal preference really. Verman posted a good link of pros and cons. I have an older Jetboil and I like it for when I know I wont be doing any fancy cooking just boiling water day in day out. It seems to boil as fast or faster as some of my friends whisperlites. Do you go out long enough that you have to buy the big fuel canisters? I found that the normal size ones would seem to last me about 7 days of twice a day boiling. Mine also has the same problem of seperating but thats only when its still hot. Once it cools down it's way easier to separate.

I also have a trangia stove that I highly recommend. That thing is indestructible, allows for some more advanced backcountry cooking if you get creative and you can find the fuel anywhere.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've got an old (15+years) whisperlite with a new pump/plunger dealie that I'd sell for $25 (sans fuel can - probably not safe to ship). It's not had much use as I don't cook very often when I'm out doing stuff. I've got a jetboil which fits what I do better.

Smoove J posted:

All of my snowshoe heroes swear by the Lightning Ascents,

People have snowshoe heros?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

Cat food can stoves are classic.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

n8r posted:

People have snowshoe heros?

I'll be your snowshoe hero.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husbands been experimenting with beer can stoves.

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!
Stove talk! I have a lot of backpacking stoves.

My favorite are liquid alcohol stoves. They make the best ultralight backpacking stove because of their weight and ease of getting fuel. I prefer to use my Vargo Triad anytime i'm out for longer than a couple days and it's not winter. Very easy to make a good one out of cat food can or a beer can with a little practice. Very cost effective and very easy to resupply fuel, as well as taking out exactly what you need each time.

For canister stoves, I own a couple Jetboils, a Pocket Rocket and a Kovea Spider (the newest addition). The spider is an inverted canister stove, so it has a tube that screws into the canister and is way easier to fit in a pot. Jetboils have been relegated to car camping coffee/tea duty, but it does that job better than any other stove on this planet. Pocket Rocket is the all-time classic, it's my backup loaner stove.

For mountaineering, I use my Whisperlite International. White fuel still works best at elevation/cold temps. That being said, canister fuel has gotten way better in the last decade with their blends and you'll be able to heat water as long as you warm up the canister inside your clothes/sleeping bag beforehand.

Owning a Pocket Rocket is the fit-all solution, in my opinion. I've put a lot of miles on trails with a Jetboil and if ALL you ever want to do is heat up water for dehydrated meals then you don't really need anything else.

Also, another vote for the Lightning Ascents. Love them. I have my pair from 2005 and i've never needed anything else.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey, since I've already decided on some MSR snowshoes, I also now need some new winter hiking boots.

I'm not gonna be alpining or anything, but a lot of late fall/winter/early spring bluff/cliff scrabbling in the snow, still.

Looking to stay in the under $200 range if at all even possible, up to $250 if needed. I also need boots that come in dumb flipper baby sizes, cuz I have 3E feet.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

SeaborneClink posted:

How long are you going out? I find the small canister, which does fit inside, lasts me (solo) 5 days with daily breakfast + coffee and freezer bag dinner use. That's at altitude. I've never bothered with the bigger canister yet. (Edit: talking about JetBoils, in case that wasn't clear)

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 21, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hey, since I've already decided on some MSR snowshoes, I also now need some new winter hiking boots.

I'm not gonna be alpining or anything, but a lot of late fall/winter/early spring bluff/cliff scrabbling in the snow, still.

Looking to stay in the under $200 range if at all even possible, up to $250 if needed. I also need boots that come in dumb flipper baby sizes, cuz I have 3E feet.

3E will be difficult, but I'd look at hunting brands, since they often cater to larger dudes.

Edit: see my post at the top of this page.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

beefnoodle posted:

How long are you going out? I find the small canister, which does fit inside, lasts me (solo) 5 days with daily breakfast + coffee and freezer bag dinner use. That's at altitude. I've never bothered with the bigger canister yet. (Edit: talking about JetBoils, in case that wasn't clear)
This summer I wasn't gone for longer than a week, I bought the larger canister because nobody at REI that I spoke to was able to give me a solidly convincing answer as to about how long the small canister would last. My needs were 2 people some tea water in the morning and splitting a freeze bag for dinner.

However with snow season arriving I expect my usage to get more intense fuel wise with melting for water.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hey, so remember how I went to Moab last May for an expedition that was part of my degree, I was set to do a bit of hiking but it was mostly canoeing the Green River through Canyonlands for a week? I made a bit of a short film about it that I showed at a film fest my program puts on every year. Figured I'd share it. There's some mountain biking too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koEb2zjbrO0

And while I'm at it, a different expedition did 10 days of backpacking in a remote area in British Columbia, Canada. Kakwa Provincial Park. The place really does look amazing and now I want to go. Don't mind the weirdness, that's just how the filmmakers are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hW6tlRpGco

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What does everyone wear for snowshoe boots? After trying them on I was debating the Merrell Moab polar boot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

What does everyone wear for snowshoe boots? After trying them on I was debating the Merrell Moab polar boot.

Those look nice. But why do all these boots only come in standard width?

I'm not even asking for 3E or 4E. Most of the time I can get E/EE to work just fine if I go up a half size.

:negative:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Those look nice. But why do all these boots only come in standard width?

I'm not even asking for 3E or 4E. Most of the time I can get E/EE to work just fine if I go up a half size.

:negative:

Most of the complaints I have read on these boots is that they run narrow.

I would have bought them when I tried them on but I was pressed for time and didn't have warm socks on. As such I was afraid they would be to tight with snowshoe socks, I have cold feet and tend to wear expedition weight socks when out in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypatias Homegirl
Nov 17, 2014

Re-gift anyone?

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey, so remember how I went to Moab last May for an expedition that was part of my degree, I was set to do a bit of hiking but it was mostly canoeing the Green River through Canyonlands for a week? I made a bit of a short film about it that I showed at a film fest my program puts on every year. Figured I'd share it. There's some mountain biking too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koEb2zjbrO0

Thanks, Green River has been added to the list of canoeing 'wants,' it looks beautiful. What were the fees like to canoe in the park? How was the shuttle?