Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
There's a Kickstarter for a device to connect MIDI controllers to iOS devices through Bluetooth.

To one degree this would be cool as I have a QuNexus and it'd be neat to be able to not have wires, but then I remembered that it has no internal power so I'd have to plug it into something away.

Doesn't matter I suppose, as it's only 3% funded with three days left:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1665962406/midair-midi-over-the-air-anywhere?ref=nav_search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Hiya, new here, but I'll stop lurking add myself to the conversation. Hi everyone.

Occasional music geek, started getting into modular a few months ago. Setup is currently limited in that all I have to work with is an 8-step sequencer (and a microbrute, but that needs a few hacks to play nice with my modular), but once I stop being lazy and solder together my MIDI-CV kit I picked up I'll have a little more freedom.

Here's a short track I put together with my current setup: https://soundcloud.com/stillvisions/broken-bells

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
KORG volca sample, sampling SDK released as open source:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/11/meet-korgs-new-sample-sequencing-volca-sampling-open-developers/

This will allow anyone to create a sampling app that can input samples to the volca. I want to create a sampling app with no microphone that just generates samples based on DSP/Math. Additive synthesis ahoy!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

renderful posted:

KORG volca sample, sampling SDK released as open source:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/11/meet-korgs-new-sample-sequencing-volca-sampling-open-developers/

This will allow anyone to create a sampling app that can input samples to the volca. I want to create a sampling app with no microphone that just generates samples based on DSP/Math. Additive synthesis ahoy!

holy poo poo! the volca sample just got a lot more appealing.

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I've been staring into the abyss that is eurorack a little bit lately, and I'm trying to decide what to do about a case and PSU.
I was initially thinking I would build a case and maybe use something like the doepfer a-100 diy kit: http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100diy1/

But the happy ending kits are so cheap, and I could buy two of them for less money than picking up the low-cost 6U doepfer. Is there a good reason to not go that route? I am buying this with the intention of filling it up with DIY modules, so I'm not worried about running out of space too fast, and they won't be leaving my desk so portability isn't a concern.

Somewhat related: anyone have recommendations for DIY euro modules? There are so many options.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Speaking of eurorack....

I bought a thing!

I'm hosed, right?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
As long as we're reppin modular systems...

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

As long as we're reppin modular systems...

Case buddy!

Not even a week after I got that case they started selling the version with a removable lid.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wasn't going to get a Volca Sample but after hearing that they open sourced the software I took advantage of my vacation and snatched one up in Tokyo. Will have a full trip report in a few days. It's babbys first sampler.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

waneb posted:

I've been staring into the abyss that is eurorack

Where we're going we won't need eyes to see just money :retrogames:hail satan:retrogames:
Thonk has lots of good full kits. Synthcube if you're in the states.

Bolange posted:

I'm hosed, right?

Nah, just keep an even keel. Think about what you actually want out of your modular and buy used whenever possible.

Realtalk though, yeah :rip:

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Startyde posted:

What do you use to power a case that size? I'm hoping to build a 9U 104hp case and (slowly--over a few years) fill it out. I went ahead and ordered the HEK/uZeuse to start making robot farts right away. I've found a good source for rails and such but without knowing my eventual power needs, selecting a power supply is quite a bit more difficult...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's actually two cases, the top one is a Doepfer A100P6, it's got their linear supply in it. The bottom is a monorocket that I got with a smoked supply and it's now powered by a pair of 12V switchers from MPJA. The 5v linear regulator on the top busboard in the case was undamaged so I left it. This meanwell is the one metasonix suggests for their stuff. I think you'd be hard pressed to hit anywhere near 8A in just 9U unless you were all yellow, so you might want to look into a pair of those.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Startyde posted:

This meanwell is the one metasonix suggests for their stuff. I think you'd be hard pressed to hit anywhere near 8A in just 9U unless you were all yellow, so you might want to look into a pair of those.

Am I overlooking something? That thing is only like $25? Surely it's noisy as poo poo or something....

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Bolange posted:

Am I overlooking something? That thing is only like $25? Surely it's noisy as poo poo or something....

I haven't had any noise problems with mine. If you want a reverb tank in your case or something then you'll have issues but you'll have those with any power supply.
This is exactly the part used in Monorocket Base cases. $16. You do need two, one for each rail, but switchers are inexpensive compared to linear supplies. Nobody's going broke manufacturing cases.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bolange posted:

Power supplies consist of a transformer, a few diodes, some capacitors and a couple of regulators. They're not fancy or complex, there's no unique genius to the design of any of them. If you drop some cash on one for your computer, you're probably paying more for the piece of mind and the warranty than you are for materials or design. If you drop some cash on one for your modular, it's because people who do modular synths make poor decisions and are bad with money.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

If you drop some cash on one for your modular, it's because people who do modular synths make poor decisions and are bad with money.

Let me tell you about the Hinton bus bar power system...

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Korg Sample actually sounds pretty good now that you don't need an i-device. Reckon it would be a good muck around groovebox or I should keep an eye out for a reasonably priced er-1? How powerful is it just as an externally triggered sampler, ignoring the sequencing stuff?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire I just sent you my finished track!

I ended up adding a short melody to the very end of the track. That was a great suggestion, the end was definitely missing something. I also tried to do the atmospheric noise thing, but just couldn't make it sound good enough for myself. Maybe I'll look into the technique at a later point, I like the idea a lot.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I probably won't be getting the Volca Sample but I do like how it's the same price as the other Volcas.

Nearly have my track finished up. Need to finish mixing, because what sounds good on my monitors isn't coming across great in my earbuds.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Dotcom Jillionaire I just sent you my finished track!

I ended up adding a short melody to the very end of the track. That was a great suggestion, the end was definitely missing something. I also tried to do the atmospheric noise thing, but just couldn't make it sound good enough for myself. Maybe I'll look into the technique at a later point, I like the idea a lot.

Awesome got it!

So far we're up to 6 tracks guys, keep them coming! If we can make it to 10 tracks I will consider this to be a legit real rear end album. I've got 1 track in the can and maybe 2 in the queue so I encourage those who have submitted to submit additional tracks (if they please). I also encourage those who have NOT submitted a track to submit as well!

Remember, we're not professionals or anything, this is just a fun project which we can hopefully raise a little bit of charity money from. If you're nervous your track isn't "good enough", show it off anyway! You can get some feedback here or I can just slap it on the album anyhow. We are a ~*judgement free zone*~

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Awesome got it!

So far we're up to 6 tracks guys, keep them coming! If we can make it to 10 tracks I will consider this to be a legit real rear end album. I've got 1 track in the can and maybe 2 in the queue so I encourage those who have submitted to submit additional tracks (if they please). I also encourage those who have NOT submitted a track to submit as well!

Remember, we're not professionals or anything, this is just a fun project which we can hopefully raise a little bit of charity money from. If you're nervous your track isn't "good enough", show it off anyway! You can get some feedback here or I can just slap it on the album anyhow. We are a ~*judgement free zone*~

I'll see what I can do after Sunday. I'm working on two films this weekend. :smithicide:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Are you planning on doing any mastering type stuff Dotcom? Wanna know if I should put a bit of limiting on this thing myself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Would the stuff I posted even be suitable? If so, anyone got any tips on how to turn it into more than a sketch? I'm still terrible at this stuff :negative:

Your Computer posted:

I tried making something out of unfinished stuff I had laying around, but it seems I'm still rubbish at actually trying to come up with any sort of "progression".

Here's what I've got so far (since I probably won't complete it, like always):
http://tindeck.com/listen/danm

I also have the weirdest problem, almost all books and courses that try to teach you song composition etc. say the same thing, analyze and deconstruct the music/genres you love/wish to produce to get a deeper understanding of it... but the stuff I love the most is experimental enough that no two songs are even remotely the same :( Too hipster to learn.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

Would the stuff I posted even be suitable? If so, anyone got any tips on how to turn it into more than a sketch? I'm still terrible at this stuff :negative:

I also have the weirdest problem, almost all books and courses that try to teach you song composition etc. say the same thing, analyze and deconstruct the music/genres you love/wish to produce to get a deeper understanding of it... but the stuff I love the most is experimental enough that no two songs are even remotely the same :( Too hipster to learn.

It's fine. I'd mix up the drum and bass sections, either dub the drums out with a bunch of effects changing over time or just make some more ryddims, and write, like 5 more bars of bass line. And I'd add a chorus/breakdown section in the middle.

Composition comes down to two things; is it boring? and does the midi piano roll draw out a penis?

Music should not be boring and it should always resemble a penis. If you are following those two guide lines, you're doing everything right.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Startyde posted:

Why are people posting pics of their gorgeous racks with them switched off and unpatched :(

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mr. Sharps posted:

Why are people posting pics of their gorgeous racks with them switched off and unpatched :(

poo poo, he's unto us

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I just got done playing tetris, honest.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Sizone posted:

It's fine. I'd mix up the drum and bass sections, either dub the drums out with a bunch of effects changing over time or just make some more ryddims, and write, like 5 more bars of bass line. And I'd add a chorus/breakdown section in the middle.

Composition comes down to two things; is it boring? and does the midi piano roll draw out a penis?

Music should not be boring and it should always resemble a penis. If you are following those two guide lines, you're doing everything right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQY4W4mCgo
:f5h::f5::sax:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

got a bunch of cables from Monoprice today (two days to deliver, good lord), finally plugged in my monotron for the first time in ages. turns out, when you can route it through a shitload of VSTs in real time it sounds great!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BKPR posted:

got a bunch of cables from Monoprice today (two days to deliver, good lord), finally plugged in my monotron for the first time in ages. turns out, when you can route it through a shitload of VSTs in real time it sounds great!!!
gently caress, maybe I should've kept mine around then.

But nah, that thing was a bitch to use.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Solstice album contribution:

https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/tantrum

All done in the free Windows version of Caustic, which is surprisingly powerful, runs on poo poo computers and tablets and seems like the perfect no-budget entry level package to teach someone the basics. It reminds me in a way of a modern day Impulse Tracker; no distractions and if there's something it can't do, you're probably overthinking it all anyway.

e: .com J, if you need more filler, my Synthember track is possibly even more wintery themed. Just let me know and I'll dig up the wav version.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 23, 2014

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

dotcom milbilionnaire here's my charity track (#1 & might sub another); autumn/winter nights wandering around the london suburbs listening to music that seemed cool back then (circa 1998) on minidisc (also seemed cool back then).

https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/uk-garage-anamnesis-1998

[will send a non-EQed/limited version to you in .wav form later this week.]

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
The tracks must flowwwww! Got Flipper's submission, I'll keep an eye out for yours Scatterfold.

Also I'm gonna start playing with these in Protools and get them sounding like they belong on an album together

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/11/22/behringer-plans-entire-line-of-vintage-inspired-polyphonic-analog-synths/

I would buy the living poo poo out of a cheap Behringer copy of a Jupiter 8

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I would wait several years, occasionally peeking in to see how reception was.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Behringer has been generally ok. People slag on them but the boss pedal copies sound great and the mixers are OK. I mean if listen to it first but presuming it sounds like a synth should it'd be in all likelyhood an amazing deal

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Bam
https://soundcloud.com/tttfff0/house-lights-drunk-walk

Finished version of holiday track. Dotcom, I'll PM you a download link in a bit.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The tracks must flowwwww! Got Flipper's submission, I'll keep an eye out for yours Scatterfold.

Also I'm gonna start playing with these in Protools and get them sounding like they belong on an album together

Sending you a wetransfer of the FLAC of this song right now. Dunno if it suits, but include / don't include as you like. :)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I know I said I would contribute a track, but I've had some really bad writers block in that I'll write 1-2 things that work well together but then anything I try to add after makes it go to complete poo poo. I'm not getting discouraged and saying gently caress this, but trying to write through this sucks and I don't know if I'll make the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know I said I would contribute a track, but I've had some really bad writers block in that I'll write 1-2 things that work well together but then anything I try to add after makes it go to complete poo poo. I'm not getting discouraged and saying gently caress this, but trying to write through this sucks and I don't know if I'll make the deadline.

Post your things here and the thread'll help you out :)