Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

My Imaginary GF posted:

i use coconut milk to make fried bread with greens, east african style

poo poo be delicious yo

It's my secret sauce. It gets a little smokey and it's awful for you, but goddamn is it not gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I only lived here 18 years so thanks for the advice

I have no idea what non-Cubans know re: Miami. I haven't even spoken English in Miami since I was like six.

You could have been a pastelito heathen.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

It's my secret sauce. It gets a little smokey and it's awful for you, but goddamn is it not gorgeous.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Congri is the best Thanksgiving dish.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa posted:

I have no idea what non-Cubans know re: Miami. I haven't even spoken English in Miami since I was like six.

You could have been a pastelito heathen.

I was a national Hispanic merit scholar somehow

Thanks, coral gables senior high for assuming I'm Hispanic because I live in Miami and putting my name in for consideration

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I was a national Hispanic merit scholar somehow

Thanks, coral gables senior high for assuming I'm Hispanic because I live in Miami and putting my name in for consideration

Hahaha word, so was I.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you want Bibi to have a 'coming to god' moment, elect Emanuel

If you really believe in Rahm, you should toxx yourself for him running in the D primaries for the job. So far you're pretty much the only person I know who's even mentioning this possibility.

Put the potential rereg on the expense account.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
foodchat: i fuckn devour chapati

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa posted:

Hahaha word, so was I.

I'm not Hispanic, of course

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Coconut and all coconut-derived products are trash.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stop breaking my tables!

I think you will like this.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm not Hispanic, of course

Pretty sure they were just operating on a miasma theory of ethnic identity.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I know about that, Absurd Alhazred. The Working Group has a lot more specifics on those sorts of things than you'd think. Suffice to say, the EU Parliament is full of Russians and thus demonstates why EU Federalism would be a bad thing at this time.

Also, Europe needs more fraking and more nuclear power plants. Its a pretty safe assumption that any organized political party in Europe which opposes fraking and/or nuclear power is on Russia's dole, whether the members are aware or not.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

VanSandman posted:

Coconut and all coconut-derived products are trash.

Coconut oil is some manna from heaven, my friend. Doesn't have any "coconut" flavor or anything like that. If you're making it in an oven and you want it crispy, I've found nothing finer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

I know about that, Absurd Alhazred. The Working Group has a lot more specifics on those sorts of things than you'd think. Suffice to say, the EU Parliament is full of Russians and thus demonstates why EU Federalism would be a bad thing at this time.

Also, Europe needs more fraking and more nuclear power plants. Its a pretty safe assumption that any organized political party in Europe which opposes fraking and/or nuclear power is on Russia's dole, whether the members are aware or not.

I'm just being supportive and giving you fodder to openly discuss this, My Imaginy GF. Geeze, just because I make fun of you doesn't mean I don't listen and am not willing to concede when you have the occasional valid point.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Peanut oil is where it's at when it comes to frying stuff.
I pity those who are allergic to peanuts, there are so many good peanut-based products.
I like how US regionalism eventually comes down to cuisine. I think we can all admit that when it comes to innovative flavors and cooking New Orleans is king.

Edit: If I was elected to Congress I'd be the biggest friend of nuclear power-plant builders on the hill.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Chicken Mole tonight. Slow cooker mole style. Three hours to make it. And it's second day leftovers. Oh yeah.

AmyTheeStallion
Sep 11, 2011
Excuse me, hungry folk:

Is there a Mexico-centric thread on these fine forums? I haven't found a thread that is discussing their current protests.

Thanks in advance!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Pure Trance posted:

Excuse me, hungry folk:

Is there a Mexico-centric thread on these fine forums? I haven't found a thread that is discussing their current protests.

Thanks in advance!

No - there's been some talk in the Venezuela thread of creating a Latin America megathread, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa posted:

Pretty sure they were just operating on a miasma theory of ethnic identity.

That was my theory as well

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm just being supportive and giving you fodder to openly discuss this, My Imaginy GF. Geeze, just because I make fun of you doesn't mean I don't listen and am not willing to concede when you have the occasional valid point.

Well ok, thanks for that. I can't discuss specifics in more detail, so I'm waiting for more info to come out.

Absurd Alhazred, you should start attending some Israel NEXT or JYP/IYP/TI parties in NYC. Yeah, they can be kinda poo poo, but for $15 - $270, you, too, can see the kinds of pressures there are with taking moderate stances on Israel as a means of advancing one's professional interests, while eating well and sipping all the Gvaot or Hagafen you'd like.

Enough kosher wine brings out the real opinions of the professional crowd. Plus, your name will get added to the real event invite lists with a sufficient amount of contributions, or if you're in a second-tier American city, you'll likely hear about your towns' philanthropic communities' YP events aimed at stemming those cities' brain drains.

VanSandman posted:

Edit: If I was elected to Congress I'd be the biggest friend of nuclear power-plant builders on the hill.

The Greens had a not-impossible shot at winning the governorship in IL if they'd been willing to pander much more heavily towards Exelon et al. and their interests.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well ok, thanks for that. I can't discuss specifics in more detail, so I'm waiting for more info to come out.

Absurd Alhazred, you should start attending some Israel NEXT or JYP/IYP/TI parties in NYC. Yeah, they can be kinda poo poo, but for $15 - $270, you, too, can see the kinds of pressures there are with taking moderate stances on Israel as a means of advancing one's professional interests, while eating well and sipping all the Gvaot or Hagafen you'd like.

Enough kosher wine brings out the real opinions of the professional crowd. Plus, your name will get added to the real event invite lists with a sufficient amount of contributions, or if you're in a second-tier American city, you'll likely hear about your towns' philanthropic communities' YP events aimed at stemming those cities' brain drains.

I don't have that kind of money or time, and what time I do intend to spend on networking is going to involve career goals that take me away from Israel, not towards it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
my grandfather was a rabbi, and every passover he took a collection from the congregation for the relief of the palestinians. he was a real cool guy.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

Chicken Mole tonight. Slow cooker mole style. Three hours to make it. And it's second day leftovers. Oh yeah.
Huh. I normally dislike slow cooker food because it always tastes too muddy and homogenous to me, but that might be a selling point for mole. Are you taking the (totally respectable) Doña Maria route or going full Bayless?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

my grandfather was a rabbi, and every passover he took a collection from the congregation for the relief of the palestinians. he was a real cool guy.

sounds like an anti-semite hth

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

That book was poo poo-tier for 4th graders. I didn't understand a drat thing and I was and am a big reader.
:( I read it as a child. It was pretty powerful stuff for a little kid. It had tesseracts in it!
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That stupid Thanksgiving cartoon was especially annoying to me since I spend every Thanksgiving at the table with my staunchly conservative aunt and uncle and the undocumented Mexican family they're friends with. They always bring over Mexican food, too, so it's literally the best of both worlds.

Dr. Faustus posted:

:( I read it as a child. It was pretty powerful stuff for a little kid. It had tesseracts in it!

I, too, really enjoyed it. Though admittedly the sequels didn't really click for me, I might like them better now but who knows.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm reading Tony Judt's Thinking the Twentieth Century and it's real interesting. I like how Judt talks about his own Zionism and how it's changed over the years.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
If it wasn't for the slave trade, would there be pretty much any African Americans?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr. Faustus posted:

Wrinkle in Time series is officially good until it gets into the later books with the weird gnostic poo poo and the sex angels. .

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sharkie posted:

I, too, really enjoyed it. Though admittedly the sequels didn't really click for me, I might like them better now but who knows.
I didn't care for the sequels, either.
I am pretty sure going back and re-reading what you read when you were a child/early adolescent gets worse and worse over time.

May I jump in on Cheesesteak-chat?

I decided to start making my own. It's a little expensive but the sandwiches are just the way I want them to be.

I buy some decent beef, maybe a small ribeye. I slice it on the bias, fairly thin.
I my cast-iron skillet I sautee onions in olive oil until they start to become translucent and than add the meat. Season with S&P. Heat through until the beef is rare, throw on a lot of sliced, non-smoked Provolone, and cover until the cheese is melted and gooey. Throw this into a Brat bun, maybe toasted, maybe not (usually not).
That's all I need, but when the mood strikes I'll bring along condiments, or dash in some Worcestershire sauce while cooking if I want that anchovy/tamarind zing. I am not averse to banana peppers, but green/red/yellow peppers give me heartburn and I am not a huge fan of mushrooms (though I will not turn my nose up at any of these.) If I want it saltier, a sprinkle of Lawry's.

Cheez-Wiz is for broccoli/rice casserole and nothing else.

Most Best Criteria: Good bread, good cut of meat (not overcooked), lots of sauteed onions, quality provolone. The rest is just icing.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wrinkle in Time series is officially good until it gets into the later books with the weird gnostic poo poo and the sex angels. .
I only remember the first one well. I think I might have read two more? None of it has suck with me, but the first book always will.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cheekio posted:

If it wasn't for the slave trade, would there be pretty much any African Americans?

Not anywhere near the amount there are now, but certainly some. It'd be more similar to Asian Americans, where the richer African families sent their kids to western schools and some stay. Of course a lot of Asian Americans are descendants of laborers from the 19th century, so their numbers are inflated by that. You'd also still have immigrants/refugees from Eritrea and the like coming in over the last half century or so.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm reading Tony Judt's Thinking the Twentieth Century and it's real interesting. I like how Judt talks about his own Zionism and how it's changed over the years.

Judt is a great writer and historian, you might give his (admittedly huge) Postwar: A History of Europe since 1945 a look next.

Cheekio posted:

Maybe? Problem is, once you start down the counterfactual road, you can "what if?" yourself into just about any possible conclusion.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I read Postwar and passed it on to a friend, great read

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

No - there's been some talk in the Venezuela thread of creating a Latin America megathread, though.

do it but also ban all venezuela chat

i'll contribute something if you decide to make it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
on the offhand recommendation of i think whiskey juvenile (?) in some thread i watched stalag 17, goddamn that was a good film they should remake it and cut all the goofy 1950s stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

are you in that one neighborhood that just got a name like 3 years ago

Washington and 5th

I believe it used to be called "the projects"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i've just come back from watching interstellar - very good film, very christopher nolan (look at these upside down mountains woooooOooooO). it should have been ten minutes shorter, though.

cooper should have died in the black hole after saving the world, his purpose essentially being fulfilled. he was murphy's ghost, the humans on earth could get the gently caress off the planet, brand could become queen of a planet of babies, it's all clear as day. if you want to make sure even the idiots in the room get it, add in a montage of murph doing science stuff and the humans getting off the planet and of brand setting up the baby machines and looking at the sky filled with hope or w/e - thus setting up the perfect you see your children as you die thing with humanity at large being cooper's children. christ.

Do Not have cooper get saved survive against all logic and have characters basically comment 'boy we sure saved you in an unlikely way phew!' don't have cooper then go 'alright alright alright', swagger up to murphy, say 'dang you're old. hey guess what, kid, i was totally your ghost. that ghost? that was me.' *looks straight at the camera* 'i was the ghost that knocked the books from you, murphy, 's shelf. i told you how to save the earth through your watch. with gravity.' *looks back at murphy* 'well, it's nice talking to you, gotta go save brand who is totally fine and is farming space-babies as we speak. peace out!'

it was especially grating and patronising after TARS essentially being taken into the black hole to serve as someone to reply 'affirmative' as matthew mcconaughey explains exactly what's happening just in case we're totally retarded

i heard about the ending being controversial but i'm unsure if it's controversial because of the last ten minutes or because of the ten minutes before that. those were fine. anyone know some good reviews/pieces on the film (especially the ending?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CoolCab posted:

on the offhand recommendation of i think whiskey juvenile (?) in some thread i watched stalag 17, goddamn that was a good film they should remake it and cut all the goofy 1950s stuff.

THAT MOVIE FAILS THE BECHDEL TEST

• Locked thread