Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Garrand posted:

So I watched Ping Pong as it was being released. It was my first anime in a long time and now I've decided to see if I can find some more I like, though what I'm looking for might be a little specific.

What I'm looking for is an anime that is very character driven or character focused; where the characters have an actual story arc of some kind and the interactions between them are important to the overall plot (or are the plot entirely, either way.) Genre doesn't matter, although I'd guess drama or some kind of slice of life story would be the best sort for what I'm asking.

I'm also hoping to find something that doesn't have a ton of verbal exposition. My experience with anime is limited, so it may just be my luck, but I hate it when characters basically explain to the audience what literally just happened. I just want some things left unsaid, even if they are strongly implied. Especially if they're strongly implied, since I'd like to not be treated like an idiot by the show I'm watching.

Watch everything else by the same director. The Tatami Galaxy is a fantastic show to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Garrand posted:

The same quote as the post above.

Chihayafuru. Karuta explanations are a bit wordy, but the show doesn't beat you over the head with explaining character interactions. And the show isn't really anything besides character interactions. Karuta is a depressingly dull game that the show will make you love, solely because Chihaya and her friends are so invested in it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cerious posted:

So I just finished up Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy, they both told really interesting stories and had extremely satisfying endings (Tatami Galaxy moreso). I also watched Steins;Gate which I thought had a pretty superb ending as well. Without caring about the age, length, genre, etc, what are some movies/shows that have good buildups to really solid finishes like those?

Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy are both directed by Yuasa so going with more of his stuff is a safe bet. Ping Pong, Kemonozume, and Mind Game are all excellent.

glomkettle posted:

Watch everything else by the same director. The Tatami Galaxy is a fantastic show to start with.

Yeah seconding this. Just look up Masaaki Yuasa because everything he has directed is worth watching.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what's Full Metal Panic like? More vaguely otaku-y LN romcom hijinks from KyoAni?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first one is trash from gonzo. Fumaffu is highschool hijinks. Second raid is what the first season should have been.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Excluding obvious exceptions like Slayers I feel like FMP was one of the first really successful LN->anime adaptations, and especially one of the first to really become synonymous with a given studio (for a later example, Haruhi & KyoAni). It also became relatively popular when I think a lot of current fans were in high school or going to college; I remember it being a relatively big deal that you could find episodes of it in some crazy new "digital fansub" format. Long story short, there's heaps of nostalgia for it for a lot of people.

The franchise is pretty straightforward all told: sci-fi/mecha romp with a good helping of comedy. What kind of set it apart from other similar franchises I suppose is that the author made a concerted effort to clearly segregate the two in his books; there were "main" story novels that followed a sort of serious plot/timeline and "comedy" novels that took place whenever and were about all sorts of random zany shenanigans. This distinction is important because KyoAni adapted both kinds as two seasons: the comedic Fumoffu and the serious Second Raid.

I think if there is any real agreement about the quality of the series, it'd be that the comedic sections are its best parts. I still think Fumoffu is a hoot and maybe even I daresay a classic. The serious story is fine too, all things considered, but sort of silly. But I think it's silly in the way Metal Gear Solid is actually goofy as gently caress rather than the usual dumb otaku LN junk. I was invested enough in the story that I wanted to see it through to the end, which you can actually do now if you read the Sigma manga (though you'd still have to watch the original Gonzo series).

So basically, definitely watch Fumoffu because it's pretty funny and maybe check out the other seasons if you feel like a sci-fi/mecha romp of some kind which while not exactly breaking new ground is enjoyable enough.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DamnGlitch posted:

The first one is trash from gonzo. Fumaffu is highschool hijinks. Second raid is what the first season should have been.

I haven't seen s1 in a while but I don't remember it being that bad, and also has the better design for the Arbalest (imo)

Yeah check it out if you're interested, and if you end up running through it read the FMP manga, then follow up with FMP sigma. do not investigate FMP Another

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I actually kinda like season 1 FMP, apart from the Wind Blows At Home. I mean, Gonzo's a pretty meh studio, but I definitely didn't have a problem with the writing or anything else in it, and the dub was loving terrific.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I liked it a lot when I first saw it, I even have the DVD box set, but earlier in the year I rewatched it, and watched fumafu and 2nd Raid for the first time and it starts promising and gets really trashy, and ugly compared to the second two series. I would kill for a relaunch of it by kyoani or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
From what I remember about Gonzo FMP is that if you skip the filler/comedy episodes in the middle and just watch the 'serious' episodes then it's mostly OK. Conversely there is a manga adaption of it that I can't imagine being any worse either, so in theory you could just read that and Sigma with Fumoffu and Second Raid peppered in there somewhere.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

From what I remember about Gonzo FMP is that if you skip the filler/comedy episodes in the middle and just watch the 'serious' episodes then it's mostly OK. Conversely there is a manga adaption of it that I can't imagine being any worse either, so in theory you could just read that and Sigma with Fumoffu and Second Raid peppered in there somewhere.

Yeah, Gonzo's attempts at comedy episodes were pretty bad. Bad enough that I avoided Fumoffu for quite a while, expecting more of the same. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I started with Fumoffu after a friend told me about it. After I could breathe again, I was interested enough in the world to watch the series proper (only one season existed at the time). People have called it trash, I call it fine. Just, fine. Nothing really remarkable, though some of the scenes were pretty good like when it finally hits her that no, he's not just some military fanboy and yes, she is in actual danger. I'm pretty sure I only remember it as well as I do because of how much I like Fumoffu though.

The second season got dark and angsty and though I may draw ridicule for this, I didn't find myself enjoying it. Again, I think Fumoffu is the reason; if that didn't exist I might have been able to get into the more serious story but I just kept wanting it to be as fun as Fumoffu and it kept just spotlighting Souske's inner torment and I just couldn't give a gently caress. Go shoot some more wannabe yakuza with rubber bullets, goddammit!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The manga splices some more gag bits in to the heavy poo poo, even though towards the end it gets REALLY heavy and 80's action movie

rip nami

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The "serious" (read: robot-related) episodes of FMP are boring garbage no matter what season it is. The comedy (and occasional serious bits of Sousuke trying to act like a normal person) are, similarly, the good part.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The "serious" (read: robot-related) episodes of FMP are boring garbage no matter what season it is. The comedy (and occasional serious bits of Sousuke trying to act like a normal person) are, similarly, the good part.

Agreed.

I laughed my way through the first few episodes of the first season that I did see, either because it was that bad or that funny, depending on the episode. Fumoffu is an amazing show from beginning to end though.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Garrand posted:

So I watched Ping Pong as it was being released. It was my first anime in a long time and now I've decided to see if I can find some more I like, though what I'm looking for might be a little specific.

What I'm looking for is an anime that is very character driven or character focused; where the characters have an actual story arc of some kind and the interactions between them are important to the overall plot (or are the plot entirely, either way.) Genre doesn't matter, although I'd guess drama or some kind of slice of life story would be the best sort for what I'm asking.

I'm also hoping to find something that doesn't have a ton of verbal exposition. My experience with anime is limited, so it may just be my luck, but I hate it when characters basically explain to the audience what literally just happened. I just want some things left unsaid, even if they are strongly implied. Especially if they're strongly implied, since I'd like to not be treated like an idiot by the show I'm watching.

if you'd be down to read some manga instead just check out anything by the author of Ping Pong, Taiyo Matsumoto. Check out his stuff like Tekkon Kinkreet and GoGo Monster, both of which have english releases. Or if you are looking for a quick fix and just want to download something read Hanaotoko.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

glomkettle posted:

So it appears. I just finished ep 2 and am really liking it so far. I also really like the art style; is that something common with this director? I know Ping Pong's style was supposed to be similar to the original manga; I don't know what the case with Tatami is, but frankly I like it being different from the more common style.

linall posted:

Chihayafuru. Karuta explanations are a bit wordy, but the show doesn't beat you over the head with explaining character interactions. And the show isn't really anything besides character interactions. Karuta is a depressingly dull game that the show will make you love, solely because Chihaya and her friends are so invested in it.

Added to my list. Sounds like something I'd like. Thanks.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

if you'd be down to read some manga instead just check out anything by the author of Ping Pong, Taiyo Matsumoto. Check out his stuff like Tekkon Kinkreet and GoGo Monster, both of which have english releases. Or if you are looking for a quick fix and just want to download something read Hanaotoko.

I don't read manga much, but I'll add those to my list anyway for the future.

Thanks, all, for the recommandations!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Garrand posted:

So it appears. I just finished ep 2 and am really liking it so far. I also really like the art style; is that something common with this director? I know Ping Pong's style was supposed to be similar to the original manga; I don't know what the case with Tatami is, but frankly I like it being different from the more common style.

He varies a bit from project to project but yeah, they've all got a fairly similar look.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Garrand posted:

I don't read manga much, but I'll add those to my list anyway for the future.

Thanks, all, for the recommandations!

Tekkon Kinkreet also got a movie. It's rather pretty and I remember liking it well enough, but I can't speak to how much justice it does the manga.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

How is Kino's Journey? I shuffled thorough random shows on a site and that came up, it looked interesting.

EDIT: Woohoo phone posting.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 20, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TARDISman posted:

How is Kino's Journey? I should thorough random shows on a site and that came up, it looked interesting.

Watch the poo poo out of it. It's a great show. This may read like a heathen declaration for the average ADTRW goon, but I sincerely think it's better than Mushi-shi.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Watch the poo poo out of it. It's a great show. This may read like a heathen declaration for the average ADTRW goon, but I sincerely think it's better than Mushi-shi.
I still think Mushishi is better, but Kino's Journey is very, very close behind it. The only shows I'd absolutely rank over them are Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop.

Kino's Journey is more about the concept of the situation people get caught up in, while Mushishi is much more about the people involved.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

TARDISman posted:

How is Kino's Journey? I should thorough random shows on a site and that came up, it looked interesting.

Kino's Journey is loving great. It's sort of parable-of-the-week series of vignettes a al Mushi-Shi, but with deliberately more abstract sensibilities. Where as Mushi-Shi is grounded in a generally consistent internal mythology, Kino's just kinda does whatever the hell it wants and really only cares about ruminating on whatever the particular topic of any given episode is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, the only real constants are Kino and Hermes. It's a really good show. (Also kind of depressing, much of the time, but what can you do?)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

How is Kino's Journey? I shuffled thorough random shows on a site and that came up, it looked interesting.

Yeah, Kino's Journey is the closest thing to Mushishi out there, except maybe Mononoke, but that's more horror-centric.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, Kino's Journey is the closest thing to Mushishi out there, except maybe Mononoke, but that's more horror-centric.

Anyone who cares even slightly about good storytelling should watch all 3 of these, preferably consecutively.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone who cares even slightly about good storytelling should watch all 3 of these, preferably consecutively.

Just shuffle all the episodes together, and marathon all three together.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just got Netflix and am looking at the anime selection on it. It's pretty slim, and I've actually not really heard of most of the shows - are they all bad? Specifically I'm looking at Knights of Sidonia, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, My Little Monster, Space Dandy and Kotoura-san. Are any of these remotely worth watching?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I just got Netflix and am looking at the anime selection on it. It's pretty slim, and I've actually not really heard of most of the shows - are they all bad? Specifically I'm looking at Knights of Sidonia, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, My Little Monster, Space Dandy and Kotoura-san. Are any of these remotely worth watching?

Arpeggio is garbage, Sidonia is decent, MLM appears to be generic shoujo, so probably decent, Space Dandy is excellent, Kotoua-san seems like generic yonkoma slice of life, so probably decent

In any case you should absoutely watch Space Dandy

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 24, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Princess Jellyfish is on netflix and also is awesome. Everything else that's good is stuff you probably recognize, like Samurai Chanploo, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Gurren Lagann.

coathat
May 21, 2007

My Little Monster is very good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Samurai Flamenco also in Netflix? You should also check that out. It's a pretty cool series, warts and all. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want to see a series actually explore the idea of the "eccentric-yet-cool aloof high school hot guy" pretty in-depth and analyze his problems, My Little Monster is really really good for that.

Haru has some...issues. And a chicken.

The manga's real great and also finished on a high note, I haven't watched the anime.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Sidonia is a rad cyberpunk show, but not quite as rad as the manga, which is similarly not quite as rad as the mangaka's other stuff (BLAME!, Biomega, etc).

Space Dandy is Cowboy Bebop season 2, but every episode is Mushroom Samba, basically. It owns really really hard.

You should also watch Fate/zero and Madoka Magica, if you haven't already. Fate/zero is a dark action show about mages fighting in 1990s Japan to win the Holy Grail, and has lots of ~deep philosophy~ and whatnot; if you dig Ghost in the Shell: SAC you'll probably be able to get something out of it. Madoka Magica really cannot be described without ruining the fun; just give it 3 episodes and see if it clicks for you by the end of episode 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Sidonia is a rad cyberpunk show, but not quite as rad as the manga, which is similarly not quite as rad as the mangaka's other stuff (BLAME!, Biomega, etc).

Space Dandy is Cowboy Bebop season 2, but every episode is Mushroom Samba, basically. It owns really really hard.

Space Dandy is basically Cowboy Bebop written on the same drugs taken to create Redline.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I haven't watched My Little Monster, but I've read the manga a couple times. It's Good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Space Dandy is a cool studio (Studio Bones, known for Star Driver and Eureka Seven) and a cool director (Shinichiro Watanabe, known for Cowboy Bebop) bringing all their friends in the industry together and letting them make whatever they want with a cool set of characters. This means that every week feels different from the next, which can turn some people off, but remember that if you aren't super down with the show one week that next week will be completely different.

But yea, it's cool that a show that gives creators this much freedom was really successful and I hope something like it happens again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

But yea, it's cool that a show that gives creators this much freedom was really successful and I hope something like it happens again.

Ah, it was successful? I thought I remembered reading in its thread that it wasn't successful in Japan or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, it was successful? I thought I remembered reading in its thread that it wasn't successful in Japan or something.

IIRC it's not that successful in Japan (which is the trend for Watanabe's shows) but it was successful enough here that Funimation is gonna be doing dubs for select new shows only a week or two after each episode comes out, so take that how you will. It was also the highest rated show on Toonami when it was airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The ratings actually got overtaken by Attack on Titan, but it was probably less the show and more that AoT took over its 11:30 PM timeslot and Dandy was moved to 12:30. Staying up 'til midnight and staying up 'til 1 AM are two different beasts.

• Locked thread