Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Colonial Air Force posted:

Now, but the Army flew them in Viet Nam (and apparently up through the 1990s), and the Army National Guard still does, don't they?

I think they stopped a few years ago. Still, there are a few Cobras left with other countries, as well as the modernized Marine versions (and a couple of demilitarized surplus examples used by state forestry departments. That's something I'd like to see sometime.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eej posted:

I thought the Airacobra and Kingcobra were quite successful in the USSR.

They were already used to aircraft that liked to spin:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did the Soviets/Russia ever ponder replacing the turboprops on the Bear? It seems like the landing gear are already pretty tall so maybe a gigantic modern turbofan would fit? Does Russia even make any suitable engines for a hypothetical replacement? (I assume no Western engines would be considered)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

david_a posted:

Did the Soviets/Russia ever ponder replacing the turboprops on the Bear? It seems like the landing gear are already pretty tall so maybe a gigantic modern turbofan would fit? Does Russia even make any suitable engines for a hypothetical replacement? (I assume no Western engines would be considered)

Tu-95 is fine now. Why change?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I realize it would never happen for a variety of reasons. There were plans to replace those ancient engines on the B-52; I was just curious if the Russians even daydreamed about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

david_a posted:

I realize it would never happen for a variety of reasons. There were plans to replace those ancient engines on the B-52; I was just curious if the Russians even daydreamed about it.

Can't find any references to any such projects. Although I'm sure there were probably some what-if rough proposals scrawled on napkins by Tupolev engineers during meetings and lunches and the like, nothing seems to have come of them in any major way. Anyway part of the reason for the turboprops in the first place was to get the maximum operational range out of the plane. Russian jet bombers of the Bear's era were either short-ranged like the Tu-16 or disasters good for propaganda but not war, like the M-4.

By the time better jet engines are available, there's ICBMs to do the heavy nuke-throwing work and no particular need to fiddle with the turboprops because they're already Good Enough for whatever else the Bear does that needs doing. Any proposals to that effect would've been met with "Da, we could comrade, but why bother? Spend on vodka instead." and shoved either into the trash or into archives where they haven't been seen or heard from since.

EDIT: Watch, I'll be proved completely wrong on this by someone.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 22, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

david_a posted:

Well it's worth mentioning that we did replace the original engines on the BUFF...the -H's (only variant still in service) were also the only model to be equipped with the TF33s. All the other models that came before were flying on J57s.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And the BUFFs will never be re-engined again because there are literal mountains of TF-33 engine cores sitting around. Thousands of the fuckers.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

EDIT: Watch, I'll be proved completely wrong on this by someone.

quote:

The next stage in the development of a nuclear-powered bomber would have been the Tupolev Tu-119, a modified Tu-95, which would have been powered by both kerosene fueled and nuclear fueled turboprop engines; two Kuznetsov NK-14A nuclear fueled engines inboard fed with heat from a fuselage mounted reactor and two Kuznetsov NK-12 turboprops outboard. The Tu-119 was never completed due to the nuclear-powered bomber project being cancelled, on grounds of cost and the dire environmental impact of possible mishaps and accidents.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When the soviets are worried about "dire environmental impact" that's saying something!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

And the BUFFs will never be re-engined again because there are literal mountains of TF-33 engine cores sitting around. Thousands of the fuckers.

There's about 2000 left at last count and they're each rated for something like 4,000 hours?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuclear doesn't count. We were talking about replacing the turboprops with jets. Also note that the nuclear-powered Bear would still be using turboprops.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Anyway part of the reason for the turboprops in the first place was to get the maximum operational range out of the plane.
I think I'm having a hard time formulating my question because I don't know what properties are useful for the missions a Bear would be used for in the 21st century. I figure speed is a non-issue since it's not likely to be able to run away from any threat. My understanding is that turboprops aren't great for high-altitude flight, but does that matter? I have no idea. Maybe my question is: would it be significantly more effective at doing whatever it is the Russians use it for if it had modern high-bypass turbofans? Like, would it increase the range enough for some new mission type to become feasible?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's about 2000 left at last count and they're each rated for something like 4,000 hours?

Dude there are active TF-33 engines with well over 30,000 hours on them.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
The number of TF33's in storage has come up several times in this thread. I want to say the first number cited was something like 3500. Now its around 2000. At this rate we may run out before this thread hits the goldmine...
edit: this thread and the airpower thread, i guess.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dude there are active TF-33 engines with well over 30,000 hours on them.

TF-33s of Thesus.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

My mom is a slut posted:

The number of TF33's in storage has come up several times in this thread. I want to say the first number cited was something like 3500. Now its around 2000. At this rate we may run out before this thread hits the goldmine...
edit: this thread and the airpower thread, i guess.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11837&page=41

There are 2,600 engines as of 2006, there were about 3500 in the late 90s.

That whole book is pretty good at reading about the issues the TF-33 has. 70 times the shutdown rate of other engines is pretty :stare:.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress with friends like that

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've shut down one TF-33 and that's because the electric generator couldn't disconnect from the gearing. MX forgot to put oil in it. The thing caught fire mid-flight. It burned so hot that the mechanical linkage connecting it to the - 33 gearing fused together. Boeing/P&W didn't think of that one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MX forgot to put oil in it.
WITH FRIENDS LIKE THAT

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I've shut down one TF-33 and that's because the electric generator couldn't disconnect from the gearing. MX forgot to put oil in it. The thing caught fire mid-flight. It burned so hot that the mechanical linkage connecting it to the - 33 gearing fused together. Boeing/P&W didn't think of that one.

I've been on plenty of flights with engine shutdowns, but as far as I know there was never a goddamn fire in one of them. Seems like something that would've come up in the debrief.

My last 3 flights on the E-3 were all IFEs. One was a shutdown, and the last was a landing gear problem (in the middle of that big string of gear problems in 2011). Can't remember the other. On the last one, they couldn't get the nose gear (at least) to lower so we circled while the FE did it manually. Landed, stopped on the runway so maintenance could pin them in place. We taxied about 10 feet and stopped abruptly. The pilot called the MCC and explained that we had to deplane on the runway because there was no steering. :stare:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

I've been on plenty of flights with engine shutdowns, but as far as I know there was never a goddamn fire in one of them. Seems like something that would've come up in the debrief.

My last 3 flights on the E-3 were all IFEs. One was a shutdown, and the last was a landing gear problem (in the middle of that big string of gear problems in 2011). Can't remember the other. On the last one, they couldn't get the nose gear (at least) to lower so we circled while the FE did it manually. Landed, stopped on the runway so maintenance could pin them in place. We taxied about 10 feet and stopped abruptly. The pilot called the MCC and explained that we had to deplane on the runway because there was no steering. :stare:

Electrical generator problems are fairly common. Usually the FE can just punch off the generator from the turbine. In this instance, the generator and mechanical linkages just burned so badly. The book does suggest to turn off the engine when it doubt that the generator is offline, but there isn't anything (that I can recall) about poo poo fusing together from heat.

I want to say that manually dropping the gear already implies that there will be no nosewheel steering. I could be wrong, but there is a landing gear gotcha where that comes into play.

Something with pneumatic brakes being used.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, generator problems were pretty common, especially in the desert (since we could get CENTCOM to pay to fix them easier than ACC). I don't recall hearing about engines being shut down for generators, though...seems like something that would've stuck in my head. It seems strange that poo poo is still being discovered on this airframe.

I don't know poo poo about the systems, but that was the second time I've had an FE have to do the gear manually, but the first time I think we were able to taxi. Maybe we got towed in before deplaning? I dunno. I remember the pilot sounded distinctly annoyed/surprised though.

Is it a crank like in Memphis Belle, or what?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Is it a crank like in Memphis Belle, or what?

It's a Johnson bar on Civvie 707s/720s. I've seen one.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sucks to not be able to steer with power, huh

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Electrical generator problems are fairly common. Usually the FE can just punch off the generator from the turbine. In this instance, the generator and mechanical linkages just burned so badly. The book does suggest to turn off the engine when it doubt that the generator is offline, but there isn't anything (that I can recall) about poo poo fusing together from heat.

I want to say that manually dropping the gear already implies that there will be no nosewheel steering. I could be wrong, but there is a landing gear gotcha where that comes into play.

Something with pneumatic brakes being used.

I don't know about the specific aircraft type you're talking about, but generally you're going to do a manual drop when you've lost a hydraulic system. If you've lost a hydraulic system, that usually means no nosewheel steering either. Call mtce and get a tow (if you're good, you can at least get it off the runway with differential braking and thrust and rudder).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

joat mon posted:

They were already used to aircraft that liked to spin:

The I-16 was apparently much less prone to spins than its predecessors, the I-15 and I-153, so there's that

This is not a loving word

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sagebrush posted:

The I-16 was apparently much less prone to spins than its predecessors, the I-15 and I-153, so there's that

Yes it is.

It's a stupid word, but it is a word.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Dear China:

I'm perfectly willing to defend similar designs, and even straight up copying poo poo in aviation terms, but even I've got a loving limit. It's not the 1960s anymore, try something loving new for once.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It is an industry accepted, universally and internationally understood word, and has been for nearly as long as there have been planes from which to deplane. I mean, hell, do you take issue with deicing too?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

sofullofhate posted:

Yes it is.

It's a stupid word, but it is a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMTadkoWG9k

:haw:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you really want to have a war of pedantry over words, try getting in an argument (one sided, mind you, when the boss's boss says change the wording, you change it) about the word "damage". Apparently its highly esoteric definition can only be accurately understood by people two pay grades above me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTs3uzChx8k

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

It is an industry accepted, universally and internationally understood word, and has been for nearly as long as there have been planes from which to deplane. I mean, hell, do you take issue with deicing too?

The opposite of deicing is icing. What is the opposite of "deplane"?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

aquaplane

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sagebrush posted:

The opposite of "left" is?

The opposite of "on" is?

The opposite of "yes" is?

English is internally inconsistent. Live with it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

sofullofhate posted:

The opposite of "left" is?

The opposite of "on" is?

The opposite of "yes" is?

English is internally inconsistent. Live with it.

remembered, beneath, no

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Enplane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

E- nm

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 24, 2014