Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Would it be preferable to have my Vizio (P series 60) upconvert DirecTV from 720p on its own or to have it upconverted to 1080p by my receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) and then allow the tv to upconvert from there. I was thinking that it would be easier/better for the tv to upconvert 1080p.

You will get better quality feeding it a native signal. Otherwise your DTV box will be upconverting it and then the tv will have to upconvert that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Don Lapre posted:

You will get better quality feeding it a native signal. Otherwise your DTV box will be upconverting it and then the tv will have to upconvert that.

It wouldn't be the directv box doing the up converting. It would go
Dtv 720p ---> Yamaha upconverts to 1080p ---> Vizio upconverts to 4k

Or

Doc 720p ---> pass through ---> Vizio upconverts to 4k

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

suddenlyissoon posted:

It wouldn't be the directv box doing the up converting. It would go
Dtv 720p ---> Yamaha upconverts to 1080p ---> Vizio upconverts to 4k

Or

Doc 720p ---> pass through ---> Vizio upconverts to 4k

Ohh ok. I would have the DTV box set to native so it sends out 720 or 1080i (depending on channel). Then have the AVR pass it through to the tv without any conversion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's almost always better to convert the fewest amount of times and I would imagine/hope that a 4k TV has a better scaler than a receiver since it would have to be scaling 99% of its content.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Don Lapre posted:

Ohh ok. I would have the DTV box set to native so it sends out 720 or 1080i (depending on channel). Then have the AVR pass it through to the tv without any conversion.

Aphrodite posted:

It's almost always better to convert the fewest amount of times and I would imagine/hope that a 4k TV has a better scaler than a receiver since it would have to be scaling 99% of its content.

That's what I was thinking too. I was only worried when I got to thinking that 720p is probably getting converted 3x whereas 1080p is only getting converted 2x. Again, probably dumb.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got an idea.

Why don't you try it and see if one way looks better?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think I'm going to upgrade my old 720p Panny Plasma this Black Friday.

How is the lighting look on the Samsung UN60H6350? The $977.99 deal at Amazon looks pretty good but I was thinking about going for a full array versus edge lighting.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kaddish posted:

I think I'm going to upgrade my old 720p Panny Plasma this Black Friday.

How is the lighting look on the Samsung UN60H6350? The $977.99 deal at Amazon looks pretty good but I was thinking about going for a full array versus edge lighting.

Buy a 8500 plasma if you are coming from a plasma.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a 8500 plasma if you are coming from a plasma.

The price wouldn't pass the wife committee.

Edit - after looking at full array prices, those wouldn't pass the wife committee either.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 18, 2014

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

rossimo posted:

I had my 60" F8500 delivered by Amazon yesterday. The picture is gorgeous, but unfortunately I will be returning it due to the loud directional buzz that can be heard from 10 ft. away of the center of the TV. I just couldn't imagine myself living with it, it can be heard when the volume is low to moderate and ruins quieter moments in movies. Arranging the return with Amazon now.

I would recommend anyone who is tempted by the price drop on the 60" to take the buzz factor into consideration. I guess this is most common with the 60" model, more people complaining here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1479058-samsung-f8500-plasma-buzz-buzzing-do-they-all.html

I just had the same TV delivered from Amazon, with the same problem. If I sit on my couch at the center point of the display, it emits a loud buzzing sound (louder on brighter images). Debating whether to deal with it, exchange it for another one, or just return it and get something else. This sucks. Wish my VT30 didn't die.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hello, I apologise if I am in the wrong place.. have a mediocre Insignia high definition television that I bought a few years ago and it has been pretty ok but it recently developed a strange problem, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows whats up

Basically after turning it on at some random point either the input menu or main menu will pop up and start scrolling through all of the choices, with no input from the remote. If you close the menu with the remote it opens up again immediately. It is weird as hell. The only way to make it stop is to turn off the tv, but if you turn it back on again it happens even quicker. The only thing I can think of is that I recently moved the TV from one area to another (a distance of about 8-9 feet) but it definitely was not struck or damaged in any way during the move. Maybe some kind of interference? Anyway just wondering if anyone has heard of this kind of thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Earwicker posted:

Hello, I apologise if I am in the wrong place.. have a mediocre Insignia high definition television that I bought a few years ago and it has been pretty ok but it recently developed a strange problem, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows whats up

Basically after turning it on at some random point either the input menu or main menu will pop up and start scrolling through all of the choices, with no input from the remote. If you close the menu with the remote it opens up again immediately. It is weird as hell. The only way to make it stop is to turn off the tv, but if you turn it back on again it happens even quicker. The only thing I can think of is that I recently moved the TV from one area to another (a distance of about 8-9 feet) but it definitely was not struck or damaged in any way during the move. Maybe some kind of interference? Anyway just wondering if anyone has heard of this kind of thing.

Dumb question: Have you checked the batteries in the remote?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kaddish posted:

The price wouldn't pass the wife committee.

Edit - after looking at full array prices, those wouldn't pass the wife committee either.

The 51" is $999 and its $1499 for the 60".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Dumb question: Have you checked the batteries in the remote?

Yes they were dying when the problem started so I changed them thinking that was the cause, but the problem still persists with the new batteries too. In fact the problem also occurs if I take the batteries out of the remote entirely and just use the controls on the TV itself.

rustyshackelford
May 31, 2011
Alright with the black friday deals all over the place it's hard not to take a long look at the TVs available and NOT want something. Right now I'm currently looking at this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ID2HGK4 as a replacement for my current TV, which is a 42" LED 120Hz Insignia. I'm about 200 shy of paying with all gift cards which is why I'm drawn to it.

My big question is, should I go for this one? Or wait until the 4k/OLED scene comes around? I have arguments with myself on either side I'm just hoping people with a bit more TV knowledge have any thoughts on this, or can maybe point me to a better deal or TV. Mainly hoping to go through amazon because I have 1300 worth of gift cards. It's obviously not imperative that I buy a TV at this point, but drat if advertising and black friday doesn't have me wrapped around its finger.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rustyshackelford posted:

Alright with the black friday deals all over the place it's hard not to take a long look at the TVs available and NOT want something. Right now I'm currently looking at this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ID2HGK4 as a replacement for my current TV, which is a 42" LED 120Hz Insignia. I'm about 200 shy of paying with all gift cards which is why I'm drawn to it.

My big question is, should I go for this one? Or wait until the 4k/OLED scene comes around? I have arguments with myself on either side I'm just hoping people with a bit more TV knowledge have any thoughts on this, or can maybe point me to a better deal or TV. Mainly hoping to go through amazon because I have 1300 worth of gift cards. It's obviously not imperative that I buy a TV at this point, but drat if advertising and black friday doesn't have me wrapped around its finger.

Personally I'd wait til either a.) the straight OLEDs from LG come out soon or b.)check out the 2nd gen 4K tvs that come out NEXT Black Friday.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm starting to consider getting a new TV, and Amazon's started listing some of their TVs on sale. I'm not crazy about 4k since there's little content for it right now, and 55 inches sounds about right for a sweet spot. I'm looking at this TV specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVLT08G...rd_p=1965295742

This seems pretty good for the price, but it only has 2 HDMI ports. This one has 4, and is a better seller on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55H6350-55-Inch-Friday-Special/dp/B00PME3UYM/ref=zg_bs_6459737011_2

Should I just wait until the day of Black Friday or just go for one of these?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hi thread, I have a quick question about HDTVs and games. I'm looking for a TV that's strong in two areas: input lag and smooth motion. Now, I know how to check input lag. The smooth motion part gives me trouble. My current Sony TV has a "Motion Flow" setting that gives me a nice smooth picture. If I look around in a 1st person game I get very little motion blur. Unfortunately, all the extra processing the TV does to make that happen starts to introduce a noticeable amount of input lag.

So my question is this: what do I need to look for in a TV in order to get a smooth moving picture without introduction input lag? Do I need to be looking at high refresh rates like 240Hz? Would that help even if the game is only outputting like 60 frames a second? Or am I confusing two different things?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

About the only thing you are going to be able to do is get a TV that strobes the backlight. That will cut down on motion blur from persistence of vision at the cost of reduced brightness and increase in flicker. Any sort of frame interpolation to smooth the input is going to cause lag. Those work by comparing two frames and then creating inbetween frames on the fly. Since it needs both before and after frames and needs time to create the inbetween frames, you will always have lag, there's no way around it.

In Sony land, the mode that strobes the backlight is called "Impulse". That mode is confirmed as not causing any additional input lag. It does dim the picture significantly and can cause issues with people who are sensitive to flicker.

At the end of the day though, you're getting 60fps out of that console on a good day (likely, the framerate will spend some time a bit lower than that.) So, it's never going to be all that smooth, high end TV or no.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

McCracAttack posted:

Hi thread, I have a quick question about HDTVs and games. I'm looking for a TV that's strong in two areas: input lag and smooth motion. Now, I know how to check input lag. The smooth motion part gives me trouble. My current Sony TV has a "Motion Flow" setting that gives me a nice smooth picture. If I look around in a 1st person game I get very little motion blur. Unfortunately, all the extra processing the TV does to make that happen starts to introduce a noticeable amount of input lag.

So my question is this: what do I need to look for in a TV in order to get a smooth moving picture without introduction input lag? Do I need to be looking at high refresh rates like 240Hz? Would that help even if the game is only outputting like 60 frames a second? Or am I confusing two different things?

You seem to be confused on a couple things. The Motion Flow setting is a setting that changes the framerate of your input. Probably the most general case is duplicating the frames of the 30fps content of most console video games to match the 60/120hz the TV can draw. Getting a TV that can draw at 60hz+ isn't going to help if you're seeking higher framerates without the input lag created by the necessary calculations from your TV - it's the input (e.g., the console) that's bottle necking you.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 19, 2014

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

At the end of the day though, you're getting 60fps out of that console on a good day (likely, the framerate will spend some time a bit lower than that.) So, it's never going to be all that smooth, high end TV or no.

Slowhanded posted:

Getting a TV that can draw at 60hz+ isn't going to help if you're seeking higher framerates without the input lag created by the necessary calculations from your TV - it's the input (e.g., the console) that's bottle necking you.

Well, it sounds like if I'm gonna be all fussy about frame rates and motion blur I'm better off back in PC gaming land. Thanks for the responses.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

McCracAttack posted:

Well, it sounds like if I'm gonna be all fussy about frame rates and motion blur I'm better off back in PC gaming land. Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, this is certainly one of the strongest points of PC gaming. Consider plugging in an PC to your TV, too. Stuff like Steam Big Picture has made huge strides in making PC-TV-Couch gaming a breeze in the past couple of years.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for you guys, with black friday upon us I realize it's been 4 years since I even owned a TV, and I wanted to buy something reasonable (400 dollar range, preferably) that would be decent for chilling on the couch to hook up a roku box or watch movies. I'm not very picky, but my girlfriend says certain tvs seem less "crisp" to her even if both are 1080p or 4k, which I think is the difference between the 60hz and 120hz TVs.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on brands and maybe a good black friday deal that might work in my broke rear end price range?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a new tv this holiday season. 60"-65" and looking to spend around $1000.00. Any recommendations on what to look for with these requirements in mind? I've looked for black Friday and holiday sales but haven't found anything that stood out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If some of you are looking for a 27" 4K IPS monitor, here is a good price on one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-IPS-Glas...=item5b0817fe9d

4/5 stars on Monoprice with 130+ ratings.

$299.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hutzpah posted:

I'm looking for a new tv this holiday season. 60"-65" and looking to spend around $1000.00. Any recommendations on what to look for with these requirements in mind? I've looked for black Friday and holiday sales but haven't found anything that stood out.

You missed the deal of the holidays with that 4k 60" Vizio P series for 998.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GreenNight posted:

If some of you are looking for a 27" 4K IPS monitor, here is a good price on one:

$299.

That isn't 4k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

$299.

That's a decent price on a 2560x1440 monitor, but not 4K. If you are willing to go Korean and DVI only you can get 2560x1440 IPS monitors for $200.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nope, you're right. My mistake.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I would like to get a small cheap flat screen TV that I can mount on the wall about four or five feet from my eyes when using an elliptical machine. I am going to hook up an Apple TV and stream Netflix and stuff when the family wants to work out. I'm looking for something very cheap with its own speakers. I might eventually get a bluetooth headset to use to actually hear the audio, since the elliptical is a little bit loud. So I guess that's the only things that it would need to possibly be able to accept.

Thanks for any advice. Amazon would be my first choice but not necessary.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'd like to get a TV to replace my existing 32" 720p Sharp that I've had since 2008. Right now it's sitting ~10 feet from my couch which is fine for watching TV and movies, but loving forget video gaming at that distance. Fortunately the floor is hardwood and I can push the TV stand 4 feet toward my couch, at which point I can see the poo poo in my games more easily, but it's still not ideal. Also my current TV has awful speakers. They are offensive to hear and actually hurt my ears; so I keep an old 2.1 creative system hooked up to it, but that too is failing. It seems like all my gadgets are on their way out. :( I'd like to find a TV with speakers that aren't offensive to the ears, some day I'll get a nicer sound system, but that day is not today.

I'm not sure what television size I should get for that distance, but Costco is having a pre-Thanksgiving sale on its televisions and I found one that like but I don't know if it'll fit the bill. This 55" Vizio looked pretty nice in the store and it's within my budget (I'd like to stay below $800).

I'll be using it primarily to stream Netflix (pumped about doing it through the TV itself and foregoing the PS3 I keep around for Netflix) and play my Wii U. Cnet seems to like it, but I'm looking for opinions and/or insight from others.

One final note, I'd prefer to be able to buy this in a store, and it happens I live <5 minutes from Costco. Delivery services, especially UPS, frequently are unable to find my house and send packages back to the shipper. And in the past 6 months they claim they delivered a 3DS to my house, but it was never delivered.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

55" minimum. At 10ft id probably look at 60 or 65"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Given that the following statements are true:

- My new TV will only have optical audio out (in addition to built in speakers)
- I sit 8 feet from the TV
- I live in an apartment and like to be quiet
- I want to have a little wireless speaker back by my head, and maybe sometimes headphones

What the heck do I do?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What do you mean a little wireless speaker by your head? What are you looking to accomplish there? 5.1?

Given your budget it sounds like you should buy a tv and a wireless headphone solution such as the sennheiser rs 160s or something.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What I was really getting at is the best way to make audio from my TV's optical out come out of a speaker across the room without a long wire; what the speaker is itself is less of an issue. I guess this may not be the right thread for this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah. I thought you were asking for a TV recommendation as well.

I'd try the audio thread but I don't really understand why you'd mount a speaker behind you if it's only 8 feet to the TV. It's not that great of distance.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looking at getting a thing to mainly PS3 for now, eventually WiiU probably, and Netflix. Have a big stretch of wall so was looking at 50" or more.
Pretty much just checking if this would be a bad idea or not.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Disregard this post I am an idiot and solved my problem!

When setting up a TV, make sure you press the confirm settings button!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 24, 2014

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good IR receiver. I am going to have my cable box and receiver behind a wall and want to be able to run my equipment without having to expose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
After poking around a bit more I came across this Samsung and was wondering if there are any big reasons to not go with this if I don't anticipate smart TV stuff ever being used? It looks pretty nice and is well within my price range, but I have no clue about TVs really.