Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ulf manages to walk in and out of a nuclear base massacre, gets arrested for a phone call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I love how the other diners are pretending to ignore the guy in the ICBM shirt talking to himself about the police and brain chips and nuclear war and vampires and people going crazy and aliens.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Most people would just read today's comic and say "huh?"

But we've read Thorsby comics before. Here we go again :allears:.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
For the first time, Ulf has thwarts three of the four start-points. Why do I have a feeling this conflict with Aisha is going to be interrupted by the evil mastermind going 'gently caress gently caress gently caress we're doing it NOW' and nuking the planet to glass?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 9, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I think there are two problems with that:

1. If he could just start the apocalypse at any time, what would be the point of waiting?

2. There probably isn't actually a mastermind, just numerous groups trying to kill everyone and thus a disturbingly high chance that one of them will succeed.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Carrasco posted:

2. There probably isn't actually a mastermind, just numerous groups trying to kill everyone and thus a disturbingly high chance that one of them will succeed.

It's strangely coincidental four likely sources of nuclear war - ticking time bomb - should spring up around the same time. And it's not the only coincidence in play - there's also the strange setbacks the cult experienced. Some manner of sci-fi tech beyond the Ulves' chips may be in play (although there being someone else with a brain chip could explain their ability to those 'accidents' happen to thwart the cult - but unless there's stuff we haven't been told about their respective inspirations, more brain chips don't explain how the nukers could have been manipulated).

Edit: As for the point in waiting, the mastermind might be checking a crazy number of factors in order to ensure that Mutually Assured Desctruction is, well, assured. And, of course, the factors would be different in different universes. There being four start points - which, face it, seems slightly obsessive given how tough it is for even one nuker to get a nuke - is also consistent with this 'wait-until-the-stars-are-right' attitude.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 9, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Singularity has come, and its name is Ulf.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

BiggerJ posted:

It's strangely coincidental four likely sources of nuclear war - ticking time bomb - should spring up around the same time. And it's not the only coincidence in play - there's also the strange setbacks the cult experienced.

It's been pretty foreshadowed, so I guess it's okay to really look at this line of speculation...

So, it is established that there are multiple universes. The transdimensional brain chip allows communications after a divergence point. The divergences are weekly, from Ulf's point of view, but a split time of one week seems to suggest that this is artificially induced rather than riding some factor that goes off every so often. It seems more sane to assume that parallel universes split off on their own, rather than being induced by the chip.

Let's go back to the start of the comic. We are watching from an ur-Ulf's perspective.

Now, imagine that there are a bunch of parallel universes splitting off all the time since forever. There are a nigh infinite number of start possibilities for the comic. But the comic is called "Transdimensional Brain Chip", so it makes sense that we are going to look in on a particular branch that has one in it.

It is necessary for civilization to exist in order for there to be a transdimensional brain chip. Clearly, it is possible for civilization not to exist in a parallel universe branch, as we have seen from the nuclear wars.

Thus the hypothesis: the world gets into nuclear wars nearly all of the time, but Ur-Ulf's universe was, and is necessarily, one of the branches where it didn't.

Welcome to the wonderful world of anthropics.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Thus the hypothesis: the world gets into nuclear wars nearly all of the time, but Ur-Ulf's universe was, and is necessarily, one of the branches where it didn't.

Welcome to the wonderful world of anthropics.

In short:

Highly relevant to this whole conversation would be this paper:
http://www.nickbostrom.com/papers/anthropicshadow.pdf

I love the concept of the anthropic shadow.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

That makes a lot of sense, except... actually I forget, how long did it take for Ulfs to star getting nuked? And it started off slow, then got faster. I thought I might have been able to use this to disprove you, but the increasing number of linked Ulfs might actually be an explanation for the apparent delay and acceleration of nukings.

I love you people and I love this comic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also, if we approach it from a storytelling perspective it's much more likely that there is an evil mastermind behind it all because that provides a neat end point for the Ulves to approach as the story reaches a climax and conclusion.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Pffffffoh my god Ulf.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ulf is getting a lot of mileage out of interdimensional data gathering.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It is surprisingly easy to convince someone pointing a gun at you that you're an elf.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I would rethink a lot of my basic assumptions about the world if someone was able to accurately say something extremely specific, private and 'unguessable' about myself. Though it'd be a lot easier to convince me that you were a mind-reader rather than an elf :sun:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/114

In the latest episode, Ulf is remotely hacking Chinese army computers to patch their nuclear missile control systems. This is the kind of scenario that can only end well.

On the other hand, he did get out of an American nuke base full of corpses with both launch keys, in front of a witness, and nobody bothered him about that. So maybe the Chinese hacking gambit will really work.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Against all sense and norms established so far, I still want this arc to end up being an elaborate pastiche of Tron.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

New comic. My prediction: The reading Ulfs will discover the concept of the anthropic principle, and realize that there are no aliens. The modern world has always been on the brink of nuclear annihilation from multiple sources and the only reason these Ulfs are still around is because it hasn't happened in their universes yet.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Prediction: Several Ulfs read Ayn Rand, go Galt

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I guess the Ulf Hivemind was lamp-shaded when the two Ulves "merged" their minds during the FBI Elf Stand-Out.

I wonder how long until Ulf decides to take over the multiverse.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Is there like a kickstarter or patreon for throwing money at Thorsby? I would actually pay what little I have to have Hitmen for Destiny proofread redrawn published as-is.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/116

Only three Ulfs go missing before week 18 and four before week 19. It almost looks like he's getting smarter, but he's still wearing a penis shirt.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I love all of Thorsby's shirts

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

ZearothK posted:

I guess the Ulf Hivemind was lamp-shaded when the two Ulves "merged" their minds during the FBI Elf Stand-Out.

I wonder how long until Ulf decides to take over the multiverse.

The Ulves are almost certainly going to figure out that if thoughts can bridge the gaps between universes then physical matter can too. Which opens the door to non-anthropic Earths and the usual gamut of crazy Thorsbyian critters!

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

The whale thing has actually been seriously discussed before, and is called "Peto's paradox".

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

That took a turn for the weird.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Daktar posted:

The Ulves are almost certainly going to figure out that if thoughts can bridge the gaps between universes then physical matter can too. Which opens the door to non-anthropic Earths and the usual gamut of crazy Thorsbyian critters!

Yeah. Assuming the chips don't deal with any quantum jiggerypokery, their transmission of information must involve a transmission of matter and/or energy.

Also, that whale thing sounds slightly similar to the whole 'but the world didn't seem unstable before' thing. And the freezer 'I thought it was a man-made mechanism but it's just a force of nature' thing too. Thorsby's setting up the dominos.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 25, 2014

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

New comic

Mr. Wednesday posted:

New comic. My prediction: The reading Ulfs will discover the concept of the anthropic principle, and realize that there are no aliens. The modern world has always been on the brink of nuclear annihilation from multiple sources and the only reason these Ulfs are still around is because it hasn't happened in their universes yet.

I totally called it :agesilaus:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Wednesday posted:

New comic

I totally called it :agesilaus:

You where right.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZearothK posted:

You where right.

Thorsby's poor English grammar and spelling usually don't bother me much at all, but this one was a little tough to read with the where/were.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChairMaster posted:

Thorsby's poor English grammar and spelling usually don't bother me much at all, but this one was a little tough to read with the where/were.

Am I hallucinating or did he fix it between here and there?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I have no idea what Ulf is trying to say there.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

That the world being destroyed by nuclear war is almost certain to occur in a universe where earth is set up anything like his (or ours). We just don't see it because it hasn't happened in Ulf's universe (or our own).

If we could step back and see the entire multiverse we would see gazillions of dead nuclear apocalypsed worlds for each one that survives.

Aside from the thought of near infinite dead planets with humanity wiped out, it is extra bad because the way this occurs as a natural development of having nukes and people loving about or making mistakes. This means that any universe could suddenly develop a new set of circumstances which result in a nuclear war and statistically it is almost certain to happen within a relatively short period of time.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 26, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

If Ulf had the brain chip installed in 1945, there would be quadrillions of Ulfs out there who had died in nuclear wars between 1945 and 2014. But they all split off from one timeline in which Ulf had it installed recently. In that timeline, obviously nuclear war didn't happen or there would be no Ulf and Vera to install the chip. So all the different Ulfs come from one central timeline where nuclear war didn't happen, and as a result they think nuclear war is really unlikely, and therefore if there are four different ways that nuclear war can start within a few weeks of their receiving the chip, there must be a huge conspiracy at work.

But there isn't. It's just that nuclear war is way more likely than any of them realized, because they all started out in a timeline where nuclear war hadn't happened yet. That timeline could be the equivalent of flipping a coin 1,000 times and getting heads every single time (because every timeline where you flipped tails, you died), and so all the Ulfs think that every time you flip a coin you're going to get heads unless something interferes (because all the multiverse Ulfs who had tails get flipped died), but that doesn't mean that the next time you flip it you won't get tails anyway.

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality, there's a different thought experiment there that might help.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Thanks, guys. I think I recall the basics from Virtue's Last Reward

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Turns out it's surprisingly easy to take over the world. Let's hope the Ulfermind remains benevolent.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just checked it out of curiosity, by week 21 there should be 2,097,152 Ulfs total, but there's only 713,866. That's 2 dead Ulfs for every living one.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

I just checked it out of curiosity, by week 21 there should be 2,097,152 Ulfs total, but there's only 713,866. That's 2 dead Ulfs for every living one.

Well the dead Ulf count is exponential too: For every Ulf that died x weeks ago, there are 2^x less Ulfs this week.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/120

Things couldn't be that simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

If they're really smart, most of the Ulfs didn't release their inventions, so they would have a chance to see how the world changes before doing it.

• Locked thread