Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I think the 1066 starts are good and well in the muslim world, but anything in Europe just gets rolled by the HRE and there's seemingly nothing ever going to be done about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

merely a case of art reflecting life :colbert:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Odobenidae posted:

I think the 1066 starts are good and well in the muslim world, but anything in Europe just gets rolled by the HRE and there's seemingly nothing ever going to be done about it.

This is worse than the Karling clowncar somehow?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Fatamids now no longer exist in my game. The Duchy of Arabia, their last bastion after I holy warred Aswan, broke into independent counties.

So do baronies and so on not count towards vassal limit? I have 55 vassals in my vassal screen but only 34 towards my limit.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

There's an event that comes up relatively frequently where you get an artist looking to paint something commemorating your family (or something like that) - if you refuse to give them patronage you get that modifier with your dynasty members.

I'd appreciate your opinion on some of those laughably awful design decisions (because right now most of our current external feedback comes from the Paradox forums and, well, you know.). Aside from the map (because my map-fu is weak and the people that DO know how to map mod have no appetite to try and unwind those changes), constructive criticism is always welcome, and I can pitch changes to the rest of the team or try and explain our reasoning.

I honestly haven't played CK2+ in a while, but I know that compared to the Wiz version the balance of the continuation has always felt really off. Wiz had a lot of the "background numbers" like levy size, retinues, income, CB cooldowns, etc. tuned to a point that just worked really well for both the player and AI. I don't think that that careful balance has ever been restored. The original faction civil war system (factions choose loyalist/rebel/neutral, rebels break off into their own temporary state) was really, really good and vanilla's is a lot like it now but not quite as good - it was removed because civil wars were going through a different design every month or so in vanilla but restoring full functionality for those sorts of complex civil wars would really make it much more "CK2+-like".

The map should be vanilla by default and the custom map should be a module (yeah I know, but seriously!). Ancient Religions should be a module.

If any of my criticisms are outdated, I apologize. I don't think Wiz's design is sacred or anything but the original CK2+ was fun and I've always felt like the various modders that have continued it have had their own vision for the mod that sometimes conflicts sharply with the sensibilities of most of the people who played CK2+ here on SA. Some of the more off-the-wall features are kind of fun but it would be nice to play without them. As it stands I feel like CK2+ is kind of like MEIOU or Death & Taxes were, where there are a lot of cool ideas but the balance is off and some things that were intended to be completed or re-introduced never have been.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 23, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is worse than the Karling clowncar somehow?

At least with the Karling clusterfuck there's wars between them, crazy inheritances (good or bad), and (sometimes) a gradual replacement of Karling rulers with local nobles. There's a gamble of having all of them get replaced within a century, all of the kingdoms uniting and inheriting Byzantium, or anything in between. In 1066 the HRE is just a giant blob that can stomp anyone right out of the gates, and is relatively stable compared to their neighbors their constantly beating up on.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
I haven't done a 1066 or later start in a while, mostly because I don't really like the advanced technology starts where every county can raise 1k+ men, retinue limits are huge, and holding improvements are extremely expensive. When they added the earlier starts, they had to scale the 1066 tech level up considerably, and I've never found it to be as fun as a result.

I don't know if that's an experience anyone else has.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
How does the game handle era-specific happenings when you're playing a long game? I'd like to attempt a game starting at the earliest date and trying to keep my dynasty going for as long as possible but I suspect I'd miss out on a lot of content that way since the landscape of the game would likely be drastically changed by my meddling in history as the centuries pass.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There's not really any historical events in the game. Invasions (like the Seljuk and Mongol) are guaranteed to happen (unless you get particularly bad RNG) regardless of the state of the map, and events which unlock features like the Viking Age and Crusades/Jihads all have conditions that will fire approximately at the right time. The only thing that you miss out on from earlier start dates is the particular layout of the map - for example, the Rurikids will almost certainly never take control of Kievan Rus', god knows what will happen to the Karlings, and Islamic realms tend to never reach the fractured state they are at the 1066 and later bookmarks.

e: of course the same divergence from history occurs from the Stamford Bridge bookmark; the Norman invasion of England can go a number of different ways, the reconquista may or may not be successful, the Shia Fatimids might stay around, the HRE tends not to lose its periphery etc.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Martello posted:

So do baronies and so on not count towards vassal limit? I have 55 vassals in my vassal screen but only 34 towards my limit.

Yeah it's counts and upwards only.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Did somebody say "Abbasid Death Blob"?

They've been eating away at Turkey since then too.

At least the Karlings imploded hilariously right near the start (Charlemagne start).

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 23, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Tried an old gods start recently in spain, by the time I kicked the umyads out the abasids had everything. Greece to India and round to morroco.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Tried an old gods start recently in spain, by the time I kicked the umyads out the abasids had everything. Greece to India and round to morroco.

That's why you start as the Umayyads.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Besides the prestige, is there any particular reason to form the Holy Roman Empire? I just took the last county from the previous Emperor and I'm the Emperor of Sicilia (Italia) with all de jure HRE lands under my control.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It also has a nice color. And I hate beige, so Italia is pretty bad. But you should never own two empires, stick to the one you have.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

It also has a nice color. And I hate beige, so Italia is pretty bad. But you should never own two empires, stick to the one you have.

Nonsense. Form one and give the weaker one to a family member. Best allies.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
But then I'd lose a giant chunk of my empire.

I also just somehow got the Kingdom of Lithuania as part of my empire. The King of Germany mysteriously inherited it from his very distant cousin, also of the gigantic and ultrapowerful Casa Lupino. The last King of Lithuania was also the King of Sweden (again, not sure how that happened) but unfortunately Sweden passed to his son. Still a Lupino, so still a chance of incorporation down the line.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Martello posted:

Besides the prestige, is there any particular reason to form the Holy Roman Empire? I just took the last county from the previous Emperor and I'm the Emperor of Sicilia (Italia) with all de jure HRE lands under my control.

If you're playing from the Charlemagne start, the first to create the HRE will instantly make all the lands of their Empire, and any held Kingdoms de-jure the HRE.

It's a quick-ish way of making your realm de-jure yours.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Modding the hre into forced elective gavelkind is pretty funny.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Edison was a dick posted:

If you're playing from the Charlemagne start, the first to create the HRE will instantly make all the lands of their Empire, and any held Kingdoms de-jure the HRE.

It's a quick-ish way of making your realm de-jure yours.

Ah. Well as stated, that wouldn't do anything for me in this case, since I already own all HRE de jure lands and most of the Wendish Empire too. That's pretty cool to know for the Charlemagne start though.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So...this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...58eea534fa26571

I'm really excited to see this new DLC. New cultures and a bigger map are always good, but this sounds very promising, though I have no idea how it could be implemented.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The last thing we need is a goddamn bigger map. The game gets bogged down badly enough after about 100 years in as it is.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

The last thing we need is a goddamn bigger map.

It's a good thing that's not what the DLC is about at all then.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I would legitimately pay for a DLC to remove India, it brings absolutely nothing to the game.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Excelzior posted:

I would legitimately pay for a DLC to remove India, it brings absolutely nothing to the game.

I like India, but it does feel like its own little game tucked away in the corner. There's very little interaction with the rest of the map.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wish there was a way to just optionally remove it. My computer is kind of old and that addition noticeably slowed things down, especially in the late game. I like having the option to play as an Indian ruler, but it doesn't really add much to the game when I start in Europe. I haven't seen much interaction between India and the rest of the map on any of my games, so it seems irrelevant for the most part unless you're specifically playing there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I actually can't play CK2 past like 1100 or so on my older machine because of India. :(

In other news, next time you throw a feast or hold a grand tournament:

Medieval HARDCORE PARTY MIX :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I haven't seen much interaction between India and the rest of the map on any of my games

Abassid are well on their way to taking it over in my game. Control about a third. :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The game isn't slower because of India. Since 2.1.6 the game is faster than it has been in a long time.

Whenever I see someone claiming that India is the culprit I go give them a "confirmation biased" stamp in my head. The game has always on some machines gotten really slow after a few hundred years of play.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm honestly amazed at how well it does run. The number of agents it simulates and events it is checking for is kind of mind boggling. I'd love to crack the engine open and see how it's doing it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
At least it handles agents better than SimCity. I haven't seen any giant blobs of poop pooling around Europe because of bad trade routes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shadeoses posted:

At least it handles agents better than SimCity. I haven't seen any giant blobs of poop pooling around Europe because of bad trade routes.

Although ironically that would be fairly realistic for the period.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

All nobles leave home in the morning, go to the nearest war, then on their way home each evening adopt the first title they encounter on their path.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I'm actually kind of curious..... when I get home from Paradox Tower I'm going to compare 1.00 and 2.2.1 in memory and cpu usage. I only compared with the version previous to 2.1.6.

Edit: Also the amount of Agents we have is.... 30 000 on a bad day. Though I've seen it go way up above that in some cases. The population though usually spikes around 24-28 000

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 24, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm pretty excited. I've got a pretty straightforward pipeline working for getting new terrain into the game using a fractal terrain generator, giving you the Terrain, Topology, Normal, Colormap and Rivers files. Going to type up a tutorial on it on the paradox forums either tonight or tomorrow :toot:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

All nobles leave home in the morning, go to the nearest war, then on their way home each evening adopt the first title they encounter on their path.

No joke this is literally how I want Crusades to work.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
I never see India undergo any significant change that isn't caused by outside invasion - but then again, that's seems to be sort of the point of India in this game. It's a safety valve for the Saffarids/Seljuks/Ghaznavids/Whatever to go gently caress off in the east instead of pestering everyone to the west.

I don't think the whole subcontinent is necessary for this purpose, however. I'd likely be satisfied with, say, the Indus Valley but not much further east.

I think the SWMH devs are planning something similar, though right now their map is basically the same overall scope as pre-RoI.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

radlum posted:

So...this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...58eea534fa26571

I'm really excited to see this new DLC. New cultures and a bigger map are always good, but this sounds very promising, though I have no idea how it could be implemented.

I wonder, could this whole nondescript 'Way of Life' mumbojumbo finally include stuff like tournaments for reformed pagans? At least for the aggressive ones? They need some way to vent their warrior nobility's testosterone when not at war, just like the christians historically did. (Actually, they should probably still receive a slowed-down 'at peace' opinion penalty even when reformed - Just with the option to make it instantly go away for quite a while after holding a tournament)

Defensive pagans could hold athletic competitions like the Olympic Games of days gone by! :shobon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Groogy posted:

The game isn't slower because of India. Since 2.1.6 the game is faster than it has been in a long time.

Whenever I see someone claiming that India is the culprit I go give them a "confirmation biased" stamp in my head. The game has always on some machines gotten really slow after a few hundred years of play.

And yet I haven't had to use the "3 GB memory fix" workaround in order to keep the game from crashing in later years before India was added!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, lol at the idea of the defensive pagans getting anything. The last thing they got was, what, that if they reform they also get a holy order?

Which doesn't change the fact that the only ones who even have a remote chance of reforming are Suomenski and sometimes Romuva, if they get lucky.

Honestly, the changes to tribal mechanics buggered them even more; at least when they reformed they had a chance to build up, now you have to either first turn feudal, then reform or if you wanna go Merchant reform first, all with very few easy conquest targets, churches to burn or other way of boosting MA.

I remember that I had the idea once of seeing if letting defensive pagans also be templeholders like muslims would improve them any, as it would be a simple change that would boost them somewhat without being gamebreaking, but I've no idea how to mod it in. It would also allow you to add events having to do with the gods, other than the Norse one that's just "do you want 50g, a further plus to martial and opinion bonuses". Heck even just have the possibility of it being a doddering old man or Loki fooling you would be better.

I can sorta get why there aren't a lot of W-African events, not exactly the target group but just soliciting events from the E-European players would probs give something worthwhile.

• Locked thread