Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

How does the metro compare to the skytrain?

Sucks.

Skytrain or sorry, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
All the subway stations seem really dark and spooky like they were designed by some angry Bond villain. They're very un-Thai. Singapores is more interesting and that says it all really.

Also, http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/cambodia-comes-top-of-2015-holiday-hotspots-list-1-3613039

And I have been accepted onto a CELTA course and the guy laughed when I told him about santa hats :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The MRT stations are identical to the ones in Taiwan except they don't have public toilets.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

duckmaster posted:

And I have been accepted onto a CELTA course and the guy laughed when I told him about santa hats :(

Well look at it this way -- soon you'll get the pleasure of having some guddy gently caress laugh at you for being an English teacher instead and you'll miss the Santa hat dayz

-----

Also the subway doesn't suck because it's literally a billion miles under the earth and hysterically vacant of any Thainess, it sucks because it doesn't go anywhere other than from one Thai suburb to another and to Silom.* The skytrain on the other hand goes to a lot of v. good places and to Silom.

*Take a cab to Ratchada Soi 4 or RCA or whatever like a normal person.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

The skytrain hits the more touristy bits compared to the MRT, but they're both first-class transit systems.. However, they're run by different organizations and don't cooperate on ticketing, so changing between the two is (slightly) annoying.
My favorite note on that is that they even named the interchange stations different names. I mean that's some serious loving cut off your nose to spite your face poo poo.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The MRT stations are identical to the ones in Taiwan except they don't have public toilets.
A couple of the stations have them, but they're nearly unmarked and pretty well hidden. You can use them freely if you know about them, though. I honestly can't even remember which, but I think it's something like Rama IX, Chatuchak and Hualamphong - maybe not all, but at least one of those. I've used them all of two times in nearly nine years, so it doesn't stick with me. If you ask them for the hong nam they'll either be like mai mii or they'll point to a nondescript metal door on the far wall. Don't pee on the door!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

My favorite note on that is that they even named the interchange stations different names. I mean that's some serious loving cut off your nose to spite your face poo poo.

I like how there's a Sukhumvit line on one system and a Sukhumvit station on the other.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like how there's a Sukhumvit line on one system and a Sukhumvit station on the other.
They didn't stop there!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I shouldn't bother with antimalarial pills if I stay in Bangkok, right? I took them for a trip to Guatemala once and they caused hair loss for a while. Then again, I might decide to make a trip to Cambodia after my course is done...

Other than that, hep A and DTP should be enough, right? Rabies isn't really much of a problem?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are you planning on going swimming at a floating market or something?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Im in cambodia and i didnt even get my shots or travel insurance, much less pills. If ill be fine youll be fine. Actually i wont be fine. But youll be fine.

I figure if i get hurt, a hospital is cheap. And if i get hurt bad enough to require an airlift, i wasnt gonna make it out anyway. Basically i step real carefully. Although i seem to put my life in a lot of moto drivers hands..w/e

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Tautologicus posted:

Im in cambodia and i didnt even get my shots or travel insurance, much less pills. If ill be fine youll be fine. Actually i wont be fine. But youll be fine.

I figure if i get hurt, a hospital is cheap. And if i get hurt bad enough to require an airlift, i wasnt gonna make it out anyway. Basically i step real carefully. Although i seem to put my life in a lot of moto drivers hands..w/e

Dead is dead

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
No one takes malaria pills. No one.

Okay, some people who spend extended periods in remote areas where there have been malaria outbreaks take malaria pills, but otherwise no one takes malaria pills. It's one of the most bizarre "Should I...?" requests that tourists mention. I don't mean that in a belittling way, because you just have a travel advisory that says X, Y and Z, but it's like the most bizarre concern imaginable. I've been here for nearly a decade and my friends range from recently arrived temporary to 40 year citizens and no one takes malaria pills. When we go on weekend jungle runs in remote provinces no one take malaria meds. During my 20-30+ trips through rural Cambodia no one takes malaria meds. Laos - no malaria meds. Three pagoda pass, no malaria meds.

The best part about the malaria meds is that on top of not being necessary (yes, caveat, you could be that one in one hundred thousand person) the side effects are often horrendous and include psychotic episodes, light sensitivity and more.

Unless you're going to an area that's had an outbreak and you know about it and it's a problem, do not take malaria meds.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The incidence of malaria in travellers to Thailand is <1 in 100,000, and even for people living there is only about 1/2000 (these figures from 2008, a report indicating falling numbers.)

Seems like the only place to bother taking them in SE Asia are certain parts of Laos and Myanmar.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Last time I was in Thailand I was on malaria pills, but I got dengue fever instead, so there's that.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maxsmart posted:

Dead is dead

This guy gets it

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I shouldn't bother with antimalarial pills if I stay in Bangkok, right? I took them for a trip to Guatemala once and they caused hair loss for a while. Then again, I might decide to make a trip to Cambodia after my course is done...

Other than that, hep A and DTP should be enough, right? Rabies isn't really much of a problem?

You should just stay away from South East Asia and stay in Japan.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I've met tons of backpackers on malaria meds despite their entire itineraries consisting of cities with no risk of malaria. It's hilarious.

Basically it's cheaper for your healthcare service to get you to buy malaria pills than it is to treat you for malaria so they try to get you to buy the pills, no matter what. The nurse was really pushing them on me when I went to get whatever injections I could get for free.

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 24, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Malaria medication isn't really necessary unless you plan on being in a deeply rural part of a malaria-infested country for an extended period of time. Also, I read Undress Me In the Temple of Heaven and it scared me off of them. Also also, once my (normally very quiet) friend took antimalarials before going to the Gambia and absolutely flipped her poo poo in the middle of our osteology lab because someone stepped on her foot.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I never met a single person who'd had malaria, though plenty of people had significantly annoying problems from the medication. Some of them don't mix with alcohol, for one. Others can make lady-part issues a nuisance with increased thresh or whatever nice word the euros use for that. I was talked out of bothering with it by my Canadian travel clinic, though they recommended them for the jungle-hacking adventurers who got oriented at the same time as me.

Everyone who'd stuck around more than a year seemed to have a dengue story, but there's no medication for that--just bug spray and hope.

Get the wicked antibiotics for the explosive vomit/poo poo thing lots of people get. Azithromycin, I think? After seeing someone get sick, those pills were worth their weight in gold for the comfort that I wouldn't end up in a Lao clinic.

e: And get loving travel insurance. What is wrong with you guys? Jeezus. One of the kids I worked with slashed his hand open nearly down to bone through the meat of his palm slipping on a trek and grabbing a shard of bamboo. I landed in a Saigon hospital with strep A in my respiratory system. Another kid turned out to be violently allergic to a common ant species. poo poo happens.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 25, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have seen more people with mental issues and posting dumb poo poo in the forums than a person getting malaria. If any goon ever catches in malaria from being in the city, I will loving :toxx: myself and get a custom red title forever.

Can the next thread title be : If you want malaria drugs, you should go see a therapist instead.

Pixelante posted:

Others can make lady-part issues a nuisance with increased thresh or whatever nice word the euros use for that.

It's actually thrush and I did a google image searched :barf: It's called ground tofu in Chinese

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've met one person with malaria in the US in my life and he was a linguistics professor who caught it in Africa while he was on antimalarials therefore climate change is made up by Jews.

Seriously though I personally wouldn't take malaria meds unless I was going to be in a rural place that was known for malaria for a long time.

Pixelante posted:

e: And get loving travel insurance. What is wrong with you guys?

My huge grody balls and the syphilis infection that rages on and off through my brain tissue.

Also some non-Americans don't get it because they figure they'll go to the hospital and get treated and then just skip out on the bill. The bill won't follow you but you won't really be taken care of if you can't pay either. Including in America. They'll give you some basic BS or emergency care and then when they find out they can't get paid on anything they do to you OH HEY YOU'RE GOOD TO GO and out the bottle you go with a script for some pain meds.

Having travel insurance is almost worth it just to be able to see the look on the faces of a SE Asian hospital staff when you pull out that card.

E: Here is what it will look like, I found this image by searching for "very happy asian"

EE: No card and you will make Asia look at you this way instead, YOUR CHOICE

Also travel insurance usually amounts to a crappy printout instead of a card but I'm going to gloss over that for now

raton fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 25, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It was a normal question.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
This thread does not know what to do with normal questions.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

This thread does not know what to do with normal questions.

No pants or GTFO

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Have you considered changing spouses instead of taking malaria medication?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, malaria is actually your spouse

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now, if you want to be really careful, mosquitos can't spawn in an infinity pool.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If I want to come to Thailand to date a Malaria-having bargirl do I need to bring pants?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Waci posted:

If I want to come to Thailand to date a Malaria-having bargirl do I need to bring pants?

If you ever need pants, someone will sell them to you before you even realize you're supposed to be wearing them.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm going to be going to Langkawi for the weekend in a couple of weeks and would like to get some diving in if possible. I know it's meant to be pretty crappy around the island but heard that a few shops will take longer trips out towards Koh Lipe, anyone here have experience with dive places on Langkawi?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also some non-Americans don't get it because they figure they'll go to the hospital and get treated and then just skip out on the bill.

Non-Americans don't know how to get insurance or even know what it is :smug:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's basically true that being American is like a crash course in all kinds of complex financial trickery. There is no other nationality that deals with as many screwball fees and policies and contracts and scams on a daily basis as Americans. So, yeah, I'd believe it, heh.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

MrNemo posted:

I'm going to be going to Langkawi for the weekend in a couple of weeks and would like to get some diving in if possible. I know it's meant to be pretty crappy around the island but heard that a few shops will take longer trips out towards Koh Lipe, anyone here have experience with dive places on Langkawi?

I don't know about that but: don't loving buy anti-malaria meds!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

It's basically true that being American is like a crash course in all kinds of complex financial trickery. There is no other nationality that deals with as many screwball fees and policies and contracts and scams on a daily basis as Americans. So, yeah, I'd believe it, heh.

Nigeria. Maybe.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
Hey with all this talk about travel insurance, I'd like to ask for recommendations on travel insurance. However, I'm only limited to plans that cover adventure sports, since I want to go rock climbing in Railay.

So far, I've only found the world nomads plan and the IMG patriot adventure travel insurance. I'm leaning towards the IMG insurance since it's cheaper, but does anyone else know of any good plans?

Also I'm going to land there like an hour after the New Year begins what do I do

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
This thread is like an ever-spiraling infinity pool, getting slightly more obscured and frothy with every person who jumps in.

v Uh. No. That's not how science works. Just. No. Goddamn get health insurance. Everyone get health insurance. For the sake of everyone near you get health insurance.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 25, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I was last on anti malaria pills while staying in the jungles of borneo. Met a French cinematographer/cameraman there who'd spent a lot of time in jungles doing nature documentaries. He'd never use anti malaria pills, but frequently got them free as part of being a tarzan cameraman. According to this guy, you should buy one pack of a good anti malaria drug (like malarone, I think) and then just eat them all if you get malaria, because the pills are just small doses of anti malaria so taking them all would be if not a cure, then at least a way to get out of the jungle and into a hospital.

I'm neither a doctor nor a pharmacologist, but I'd be curious to know if anyone here has heard of this weirdly laissez faire rambo approach?

also! A driver on borneo casually asked us what malaria meds we were on and sighed with audible relief that it wasn't the cheapest. As prices go up, sideeffects go down apparently. They'd had guests go completely apeshit.

Anyway, of course malaria pills for bangkok are a complete waste of money - but if you find yourself constantly worrying about it, I suppose you could just buy them as it's no fun worrying all the time. I've only ever used them in africa and in the jungle, but I've never had any sideeffects except a lighter wallet.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What that French guy is suggesting is really halfassed and ineffective. It's like putting on a condom only after you gently caress. Which also seems fairly French.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Sheep-Goats posted:

What that French guy is suggesting is really halfassed and ineffective. It's like putting on a condom only after you gently caress. Which also seems fairly French.

I suspected as much. Thank you for dispelling this myth from my head.

In Africa, I met a fellow countryman from the danish equivalent of like rural idaho. Being an old farmer type, he skipped his malaria medication in favour of a shot from a bottle of Fernet Branca every morning. Surprisingly, he got malaria. He survived though, so it's a fun anecdote and not a tragic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

My godfather has the fun story of contracting Malaria while in Zimbabwe and then driving down to South Africa to get treatment. It has inspired me to avoid places where I'm likely to contract Malaria.

Of course that's barely scratching the surface of his crazy stories, from getting (wrongfully) arrested in Zimbabwe for manslaughter to spending a week under house arrest in Jeddah for overstaying his 24 hour visa by 6 months.

Although none of that helps me with diving options, damnit thread how am I supposed to avoid getting malaria if I can't hide in the sea? :mad: