Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Most warships would be steam turbine plants burning fuel oil, which is a heavier distillate of crude than diesel. Small boats like landing craft and motor-launches used diesel engines, as did submarines.

Many merchant ships had steam turbine plants, but the Liberty Ships were built with older style triple-expansion steam engines burning FO. I'm sure there were still merchant ships out there burning coal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wow, I was wrong about the steaminess and wrong about the diesel.

Glad I asked now!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deteriorata posted:

They generally used heavy bunker oil, because it was cheap and plentiful and they didn't need anything better. Bunker oil was the goo left over over from refining oil that was slightly thinner than tar and had no practical uses. Propulsion was by steam-driven turbines, so any crap that would burn was good enough to heat the water.

Wasn't there some consideration made for the potential of use by the enemy in the event of capture as well? Like "heh, good luck using this poo poo, Tojo/Dönitz"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't there some consideration made for the potential of use by the enemy in the event of capture as well? Like "heh, good luck using this poo poo, Tojo/Dönitz"

I know getting a ship going from a cold start was a huge pain in the rear end. They needed a supply of lighter oil to get the steam system going so they could heat the bunker oil enough to get it to flow and atomize in the burners. If enemy ships lacked those systems it would be useless to them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

afaik, most ships used the same fuel oil. Small craft like submarines used diesel engines, but that's because of size limitations.

In any case all you really need is to heat up water in some way, so as long as your fuel ignites, it'll suffice. There are specifics involved in getting bunker oil to a pump-able viscosity, but warships have engineers for a reason.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You have to remember that liquid doesn't burn. Combustion only occurs once the fuel has been vapourised, and the heavier the fuel, the more energy it takes to vapourise it. That's why it's possible to put out a cigar in diesel (but not petrol).

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

You have to remember that liquid doesn't burn. Combustion only occurs once the fuel has been vapourised, and the heavier the fuel, the more energy it takes to vapourise it. That's why it's possible to put out a cigar in diesel (but not petrol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrj9VFl2cY

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

British codenames posted:

Blue Badger - truck-mounted nuclear land mine - later renamed Violet Mist
:stwoon:

By the way:
1) What are some fun things you can tell me about T-55?
2) Why was it so popular anyways?
3) I've read that one of the T-6X series was a marked step down from the previous tank - what was it, if it's true?
4) Some poo poo head once wrote that Mi-24 can't hover and is liable to chop its own tail off. True/false?

Also, I remember one /k/ thread tearing itself apart over use of T-34/85 in modern day Third World conflicts, but that was a given, since it attracted people who don't think T-34/85 was a good tank in the first place.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JcDent posted:

By the way:
3) I've read that one of the T-6X series was a marked step down from the previous tank - what was it, if it's true?
4) Some poo poo head once wrote that Mi-24 can't hover and is liable to chop its own tail off. True/false?

Also, I remember one /k/ thread tearing itself apart over use of T-34/85 in modern day Third World conflicts, but that was a given, since it attracted people who don't think T-34/85 was a good tank in the first place.

The T-55 is the most produced tank ever. It's cheap, has space for plenty of modernization, and is also actually fairly light, while retaining a semblance of armor protection, a significant step up from things like IFVs these days. The USSR(and Russian Federation) kept them in service for their marines all the way into the 2000s with modernizations that gave them IR sights, laser rangefinders, reactive armor, and improved ammunition(along with tube-launched ATGM capability).

The T-62(I assume you're talking about the T-62, because the T-64 is a very different tank and could be considered part of an entirely different generation) was a marginal upgrade over the T-55 at the cost of a lot of weight. It did have a better gun, but improved ammunition for the T-55 eliminated that advantage. That being said, it still had some export success and could be modernized, too. T-62s are still around in a lot of places, just like the T-55, and these days they're not really worse than each other.

One of the most common observations of Western analysts about those tanks is that the T-55 and T-62 were the last Soviet tanks to have been made for human beings(a reference to the T-64/72/80 having made the crew space much smaller using an autoloader to get more armor while keeping the weight down).

As to t-34/85s, a tank is a tank. Being able to have a tank can be a lot more helpful than not, though it probably takes a lot of effort to get creaky T-34s to run. You see a lot of improvised armored vehicles in third world conflicts, so it doesn't surprise me that they would try to make T-34s work.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 24, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Deutschland-class cruisers were diesel powered. Probably the largest combatants to be so.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

JcDent posted:

False, this is a myth that probably stems from Mi-24 doctrine and design emphasizing gun runs and constant forward movement.

Now, while you can hover in the Mi-24, it's not necessarily easy or a good idea.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

From the Cold War/Airpower Megathread:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

#1 - find EnsignExpendable in the World of Tanks thread in the Games forum.

#2 is pretty easy to field - there were something close to 100,000 T-55s built. It's popular for the same reason people were talking at such length about the TF33 engine - parts aren't hard to find through white, black, and grey market arms dealing, and it's a kind of tank that doesn't need someone with a Ph.D. in astrophysics and a half-dozen software engineers to fix. When you need to petrify the local gentry, and have a reasonable expectation that a Western power isn't going to roll in with A-10s, SDBs, and Predators, having T-55s is a force multiplier.

#3 is also somewhat easy. The T-62 was a disappointment, but they relegated it to an 'infantry support tank.' The T-64 was the MBT that earned enough street cred to get a coloring book made about it for A-10 pilots turned out to be the much more solid tank.

#4 it evidently can't hover or take off vertically with a full load - it needs a rolling takeoff for that. So now if there's ever a Jeopardy question on how the Hind and F-35B are alike, you can yell the answer at the TV.

TheFluff posted:

The coloring book that I know of is for the T-62. The T-64 was definitely really far ahead of the western curve, but I'm not sure if the western powers realised at the time just how far ahead it was.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

False, this is a myth that probably stems from Mi-24 doctrine and design emphasizing gun runs and constant forward movement.

It may also be confusion over the Mi-24 deriving additional lift from its stub wings, which is helpful but not critical to keeping it in the air.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I think that most helicopters can't really hover if they're carrying a heavy load.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A helicopter that can't hover would be, shall we say, challenging to land, especially if you don't have a paved runway.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's a rumor that Mi-24 can cut it's tail boom during a sharp turn. It's pretty widespread, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nenonen posted:

A helicopter that can't hover would be, shall we say, challenging to land, especially if you don't have a paved runway.

A given helicopter can or can't hover based on the load it's carrying and its available power which is based on environmental conditions like temperature and altitude. A given helicopter might be able to hover with a given load on a standard day but not even be able to take off with that load from some airfield that's high up in the desert in the summer. In addition, if the helicopter's low to the ground, it will benefit from the ground effect, and be able to hover in-ground-effect but not out of it. This is a significant difference, an Apache (say) with a TOGW of 16,000 lbs can hover IGE at 14,000' on a standard day but only 10,000' OGE.

It's not a binary condition, is what I'm saying. A helicopter might not be able to hover carrying its mission loadout when it's shooting rockets at people up in the mountains, but then when it comes into land it's now IGE and at lower altitude and can hover to land just fine.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's worth noting that the Supreme Court decision that basically said "no you can't protest the Great War, get in the jail" is where the "fire in a crowded theater" exception to the First Amendment comes from.

And I do wish that people who cite the "fire in a crowded theater" argument to explain how you can censor some speech would remember that the guy who came up with it was using it to explain why we can throw people in prison for handing out pamphlets opposing the draft. But fortunately that decision has been thoroughly overturned, but it doesn't stop the stupid arguments based on it. But anyway.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 24, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I seem to remember an interview or something about the Hungarian revolution where they mentioned that the T-55 was a lot harder to take out since it had better machine gun coverage.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

By the way:

It has the most Soviet wet ammo rack ever: a tank of diesel fuel. During trials, it turned out that a HEAT shell that hit the front of the tank does not ignite the fuel, and the stream peters out before it reaches the ammunition.

quote:

It's basically the cheapest thing you can get with NBC protection and modern armament. The design ended up with tons of space for modernization. I grabbed an arms show pamphlet a few years back, it has a ton of goodies you can buy to make it a credible threat to a modern MBT for a fraction of the cost.

quote:

The T-62 was basically designed around the gun. There was a lot of hubbub about New Tanks of the Potential Enemy (tm) which happens once every other decade, a lot of harsh words were said, and the engineers shoved the biggest, baddest gun they had into a chassis. And then some new ammunition was developed for the T-55 that surpassed 115 mm APDS. Oops.

The T-64, on the other hand, was The poo poo, and scared a bunch of people in the West based on how advanced it was. Once they found out, anyway, it was a pretty well kept secret for many years.

Panzeh posted:

As to t-34/85s, a tank is a tank. Being able to have a tank can be a lot more helpful than not, though it probably takes a lot of effort to get creaky T-34s to run. You see a lot of improvised armored vehicles in third world conflicts, so it doesn't surprise me that they would try to make T-34s work.

Not that much effort. I know of several T-34-85s monuments that turned out to be perfectly serviceable after being "disabled" and then sitting out in the rain for decades. Get a tractor mechanic and a couple of new hoses, and it will run like a charm.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think especially with things like the 34/85 that you have to keep in mind that they were designed for use in adverse conditions where there was a ton of access to labor but not much access to materials and a complex supply chain. This makes them about perfect for third world conflicts - you have a shitload of labor to perform basic mx and repair, and the hardware is mechanically simple so you don't need much training or advanced knowledge to take it apart and put it back together. Granted, it may require a transmission rebuild every 150 hrs, but you can get a team of illiterate peasants to do it, versus a more modern MBT, which may require fewer mx hours but of a much higher quality and specialization.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ensign Expendable posted:

It has the most Soviet wet ammo rack ever: a tank of diesel fuel. During trials, it turned out that a HEAT shell that hit the front of the tank does not ignite the fuel, and the stream peters out before it reaches the ammunition.

It is well known that diesel fuel actually makes for pretty good armour especially against HEAT rounds. The Merkava for example stores fuel in the front hull sandwiched between steel armour.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The theory is nothing new, at least; old battleships stored their coal on the outside (obviously still inside the outer hull, though) as a form of protection.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

simplefish posted:

The theory is nothing new, at least; old battleships stored their coal on the outside (obviously still inside the outer hull, though) as a form of protection.

That seems like a bad idea unless you're dedicated to removing coal dust.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Can someone explain briefly the working mechanism (guidance, fuse etc.) of modern anti-shipping missiles? Are they like anti-tank missiles just much bigger and with longer range or?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That seems like a bad idea unless you're dedicated to removing coal dust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_cruiser

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_dust#Explosions

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh no, I know what you're on about - I'm all up on my dust explosions (grew up not far from a water-wheel-powered flour mill). I'm just saying that it did happen, to the extent that two feet of coal was considered equal to one foot of steel

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Protected cruisers are a better example. Who needs steel when you have coal?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Can someone explain briefly the working mechanism (guidance, fuse etc.) of modern anti-shipping missiles? Are they like anti-tank missiles just much bigger and with longer range or?

The basic idea for all cruise missile platforms is the operator gives the missile an inertial/GPS guidance path that puts it into a given geographical area where hostile ships are expected to be. When the missile reaches said area it goes into a terminal phase where it turns on an active radar seeker that detects large RCS objects in the area (ie, ships above the water) and provides precision guidance to the target.

Anti-ship ballistic missiles are a newer thing but they work on essentially the same principle. They are launched to a given area using data from some sort of separate ISR platform (ie, a drone), then in the terminal part of their descent they open either an active radar seeker or an electro-optical seeker that detects ships and guides the warhead.

This is pretty different from nearly all ATGMs. They're almost all direct fire/line of sight weapons that lock onto their targets before they are launched.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think especially with things like the 34/85 that you have to keep in mind that they were designed for use in adverse conditions where there was a ton of access to labor but not much access to materials and a complex supply chain. This makes them about perfect for third world conflicts - you have a shitload of labor to perform basic mx and repair, and the hardware is mechanically simple so you don't need much training or advanced knowledge to take it apart and put it back together. Granted, it may require a transmission rebuild every 150 hrs, but you can get a team of illiterate peasants to do it, versus a more modern MBT, which may require fewer mx hours but of a much higher quality and specialization.

Some Finnish tankers have mentioned, after working on T-55s, T-72s and Leopard 2A4s, that when it comes to doing more intricate repairs, working on the T-series tanks is utter rear end. Things like swapping out engines take something like three or four times more time on the Ts.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The men of the Emden wash up in the Dutch East Indies, after a long voyage in a boat so rotten that they can't investigate how rotten it actually is, in case they put a hole in their bucket. The German attack at Festubert goes nowhere; the retreat from Lodz gathers pace; and the British realise that they have a lot of men at Basra and nothing really to do with them...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

The basic idea for all cruise missile platforms is the operator gives the missile an inertial/GPS guidance path that puts it into a given geographical area where hostile ships are expected to be. When the missile reaches said area it goes into a terminal phase where it turns on an active radar seeker that detects large RCS objects in the area (ie, ships above the water) and provides precision guidance to the target.

Anti-ship ballistic missiles are a newer thing but they work on essentially the same principle. They are launched to a given area using data from some sort of separate ISR platform (ie, a drone), then in the terminal part of their descent they open either an active radar seeker or an electro-optical seeker that detects ships and guides the warhead.

This is pretty different from nearly all ATGMs. They're almost all direct fire/line of sight weapons that lock onto their targets before they are launched.

In addition, ATGMs are generally a HEAT warhead, which uses a shaped-charge warhead to compress and accelerate a metal liner to gently caress-off velocities, basically concentrating the explosive force of the warhead onto a small an area as possible in order to penetrate the tank's armor (or an EFP warhead which is similar-but-different). The warheads of ASMs are very different, since punching a small hole in a big ship isn't going to do much, and armoring a ship like a tank isn't practical anyway so we don't do it; just the kinetic energy of the missile's enough to get it through the hull of a ship. So instead of a shaped-charge warhead designed to concentrate the impact and penetrate thick armor, ASM warheads are more or less just big lumps of explosive, like 300 pounds and up, to blow the hell up inside the hull and wreck everything, maybe with some incendiary liner to set as much stuff on fire as possible while they do it. The big ones the Russians designed to kill carriers have warheads of over half a ton.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kemper Boyd posted:

Some Finnish tankers have mentioned, after working on T-55s, T-72s and Leopard 2A4s, that when it comes to doing more intricate repairs, working on the T-series tanks is utter rear end. Things like swapping out engines take something like three or four times more time on the Ts.

That's interesting, but somewhat unsurprising. I am not speaking to whether it takes more time / is more annoying, it's a question of capability. In general, more modern tanks are more modular, so things like power packs / transmissions / final drives are designed to be field-swappable. However, you have to have a complete unit ready to go to replace the one that came off of the vehicle that's down. This is usually the problem for ragtag 3rd worlders. Anything that can be field-repaired rather than field-replaced is beneficial.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phanatic posted:

And I do wish that people who cite the "fire in a crowded theater" argument to explain how you can censor some speech would remember that the guy who came up with it was using it to explain why we can throw people in prison for handing out pamphlets opposing the draft. But fortunately that decision has been thoroughly overturned, but it doesn't stop the stupid arguments based on it. But anyway.

It's a bit like accepting that the Autobahn was a good idea even though it came from Hitler. It's fallacious to claim the concept of harmful speech is just a ruse to throw dissidents in jail when the very phrase used describes a situation in which someone can be responsible for harm done as a result of their speech alone. It's an incredibly narrow situation but there are applicable uses. Hell, people take issue with sting operations conducted by police, but wouldn't that be the exact same thing? The police are inciting, through speech, an attempted crime. It's difficult to lend credibility to someone who isn't consistent across both and raises the flimsy specter of "but one is a cop."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Those nefarious Spaniards!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Taerkar posted:

Those nefarious Spaniards!

NEVER FORGET 9/11 THE MAINE

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Hey Rabadh, check this out:

quote:

A desertion trial from Stralsund is extant in which a corporal was retained as a translator for the testimony of the accused, an Irishman by the name of Jacob Cocteau. The accused stated that he had been a soldier for 15 years, and of that time twelve had been spent serving France and six months in Holland. After the questions about his person were cleared up, "he produced all sorts of odd and curious speech, presently in German, presently in English, Scottish, and Irish, and he seemed to digress from the point, so that neither the examiners nor Corporal Million, the translator at this interrogation, stuck to it, and they could not find him out, at which he made curious gestures, so that we closed the interrogation since he could not make himself understood."

This is either honest or he's loving with them, but it may have saved Cocteau's life, since this was the Swedish army in 1685 and they appear to be harder on desertion than my 1620s Saxons are. From here.

(Their attention to justice is nice. You won't try someone who can't understand the trial, everyone has the right to confront his or her accuser, etc.)

(Also interesting is the mention of "Scottish and Irish." Scots-English as well as Gaelic, perhaps? Or maybe since they're Swedes they can tell the difference between Scottish and Irish Gaelic since they have at least fifty years of experience with these guys.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 25, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

Hey Rabadh, check this out:

This is either honest or he's loving with them, but it may have saved Cocteau's life, since this was the Swedish army in 1685 and they appear to be harder on desertion than my 1620s Saxons are. From here.

(Their attention to justice is nice. You won't try someone who can't understand the trial, everyone has the right to confront his or her accuser, etc.)

(Also interesting is the mention of "Scottish and Irish." Scots-English as well as Gaelic, perhaps? Or maybe since they're Swedes they can tell the difference between Scottish and Irish Gaelic since they have at least fifty years of experience with these guys.)

Interesting. Do you think that guy might have been trying to sabotage the trial by using a mix of languages, or was he just freaked out and unable to communicate with his interpreter?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chamale posted:

Interesting. Do you think that guy might have been trying to sabotage the trial by using a mix of languages, or was he just freaked out and unable to communicate with his interpreter?
It doesn't say, it could have been either.

Or this could have just been how he spoke normally and his friends were used to picking something they understood out of the word soup but the regimental court wasn't.

Edit: The person I'm really interested in is a guy from "Tartary" I found in a 1681 Saxon muster roll. Never mind how you get from central Asia to Saxony--or why--how did he converse?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Chamale posted:

Given that children brought up in that kind of situation generally learn a mish mash of languages and skip from one to the other at a disturbing frequency I'm guessing that was his normal mode of communication.

• Locked thread