Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dip your penis in vinegar :dong:

Thanks Charles, now I'm going to have nightmares about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

For me, it's imagining accidentally swallowing a mouthful of thumbtacks.

Amy's smoking plotline could've used a little more resolution, unless it's going to continue into future episodes. Still, it was fun watching her try everyone's remedies.

The Rosa and Jake plotline reminded me of the Pontiac Bandit episode, particularly the way Rosa headed the investigation and Jake messed it up with how he interacted with a third party, but he did a better job of making amends this time. This drug taskforce plotline's working well for the season, although it's lost some of its punch now that Wunch's been sidelined a little. The stakes aren't as high for the taskforce succeeding without a deputy-commissioner ready to pounce on any weakness.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gonna go get a muff with some bluebs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
This was a pretty good episode, but that feels like it was in spite of Ed Helms. I'd be okay if I never really saw him in anything, ever again.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This show is turning into a cartoon faster than Parks and Rec did. Why should Jake have played along with Ed Helms' incompetence when that would have made them lose the lead? This was just a more shoddily put together Pontiac Bandit with forced drama/stakes and a worse guest star.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rapeface posted:

This show is turning into a cartoon

I agree, and that makes me sad

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
It was fun, who gives a poo poo?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

rapeface posted:

This show is turning into a cartoon faster than Parks and Rec did. Why should Jake have played along with Ed Helms' incompetence when that would have made them lose the lead? This was just a more shoddily put together Pontiac Bandit with forced drama/stakes and a worse guest star.

But... he didn't play along. He went with his gut, got the lead and then had to deal with the consequences. Ed Helms' fills basically the same role as Patton Oswalt did when he was in it, it's just slightly harder to believe that he's managed to hold down his job. Or it would be if they hadn't made USPIS out to be the most ludicrous federal agency that exists (I have no idea if it IS as ludicrous as it appears).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
They made it seem like he should have.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

rapeface posted:

They made it seem like he should have.

It did cost them the investigation so he probably should have handled it in a more tactful manner. Going through proper channels and all that not just printing off the information and ditching Ed Helms.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, what I took from it was "stealing stuff from a dude's office is probably a bad thing to do" rather than "They should have sat and stared at post boxes for a week".

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Andre Braugher has the legs of a grandmother.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

rapeface posted:

I feel like it's always been pretty cartoonish, but that's part of its charm.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Episode owned, Ed Helms owned, and hey Melissa Fumero in a tank top

gently caress the haters

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

tarlibone posted:

This is a nice rebound indeed from last week.

Tell us what you think about the stock market. Should we buy or sell? I'm trying to overreact, but I just can't find the impetus to do so.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

inthesto posted:

Episode owned, Ed Helms owned, and hey Melissa Fumero in a tank top

gently caress the haters

Lol I got excited for Fumero in a tank top too. We need more Rosa outfits too...

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

JD posted:

Lol I got excited for Fumero in a tank top too. We need more Rosa outfits too...

LOL indeed bro, loving the ellipsis for that extra creepy touch.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Punch Card posted:

LOL indeed bro, loving the ellipsis for that extra creepy touch.

Nothing creepy about admiring a fine lady.

When I close my eyes at night I dream of Melissa Fumero in a turtleneck.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Irish Joe posted:

Nothing creepy about admiring a fine lady.

When I close my eyes at night I dream of Melissa Fumero in a turtleneck.

It was more the implication that he wanted the show to prioritize providing him jerkoff material.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Punch Card posted:

It was more the implication that he wanted the show to prioritize providing him jerkoff material.

Wasn't implying that at all you nerd

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

JD posted:

Yeah we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JD posted:

You were totally implying it dude. It's ok it's not like this doesn't happen with literally everything involving an attractive young woman ever, so just own it and move on.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Heard a rumor that JD jerks off every time he posts in this thread.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

mr.capps posted:

JD jerks off every time he posts in this thread.

Title of your sex tape?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wait you guys don't?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

JD posted:

So what do you "need" more outfit shots for then? Can I see your fashion blog?

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Like something like that could get me off after being a goon for 11 years

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JD posted:

Like something like that could get me off after being a goon for 11 years

Sometimes the kink spins all the way around so the once mundane becomes the new obscene.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I remember when this thread was fun to read, and about Brooklyn Nine Nine.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Punch Card posted:

It was fun, who gives a poo poo?

It's a slippery slope and a sign that a show's best days are behind it once that happens

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lyon posted:

It did cost them the investigation so he probably should have handled it in a more tactful manner. Going through proper channels and all that not just printing off the information and ditching Ed Helms.

I don't think they did a good job of showing that Ed Helms was a character that you could talk to and it really seemed like he had no choice because the leads would go cold. The end bit where Jake magically changes his mind by listening to a boring story was pretty cheap IMO.

Last episode had characters acting stupid to create contrived conflict that could be cheaply solved too. I get that it doesn't bother everyone but it sticks out to me!

crepeface fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 25, 2014

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

juniperjones posted:

It's a slippery slope and a sign that a show's best days are behind it once that happens

No it isn't.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Punch Card posted:

No it isn't.

30 Rock sometimes felt like it operated on cartoon logic, and it was brilliant. I don't really watch sitcoms for the realism; a little heightened reality can make it more fun.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Still Fluxing posted:

30 Rock sometimes felt like it operated on cartoon logic, and it was brilliant.

Heck, that show opened with Liz Lemon fully buying a cart out of hot dogs.

"Working on my night cheese!" :3:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hey guys going postal means something good

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think the people who spent three years in denial over P&R's downfall are overcompensating here. There have been a few clunkers this season (Halloween II, The Jimmy Jab Games), but the last two episodes have been on par with anything from the first season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Still Fluxing posted:

30 Rock sometimes felt like it operated on cartoon logic, and it was brilliant. I don't really watch sitcoms for the realism; a little heightened reality can make it more fun.

I don't know I accepted 30 Rock as a cartoon pretty early on but that only made the attempts at pathos fall completely flat and the show felt stagnant to me by Season 3, even when the remaining gags were still fresh. Same with Parks and Rec. And Scrubs. And the Office. And the Simpsons. Going wacky may be how you get put into the Netflix queues of Joe Average but I've rarely seen a show creatively benefit from it in the long run.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know I accepted 30 Rock as a cartoon pretty early on but that only made the attempts at pathos fall completely flat and the show felt stagnant to me by Season 3, even when the remaining gags were still fresh. Same with Parks and Rec. And Scrubs. And the Office. And the Simpsons. Going wacky may be how you get put into the Netflix queues of Joe Average but I've rarely seen a show creatively benefit from it in the long run.

Personally, I always felt like 30 Rock managed to balance the two. Even though it was working on its own wacky internal logic, its world was still real to the characters in it. It worked for me, at least.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Still Fluxing posted:

I hope your thesis defense is on "Fun and Sitcoms"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This might be a new episode record for a goons bitching about a show's quality going down hill by people who will watch at least 3 more seasons.

• Locked thread