Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Does winning for fun matches do anything besides making you feel better about yourself? I somehow wrecked people 3 times in a row.

Also, what's the best strategy for 100 man melee? In SSBM I would use DK and spam down + B but that doesn't seem to work as well here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you're experiencing a lot of lag, make sure the problem isn't on your end. After an hour or so of smooth smashing last night I had two new goons join a room and suddenly there was a literal one-second input delay. Like the game was running normal speed but my guy wouldn't react to button presses for at least a second. Goons aren't immune to lagging sadly.

Edit: maybe that means I started lagging suddenly? I dunno.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Also, what's the best strategy for 100 man melee? In SSBM I would use DK and spam down + B but that doesn't seem to work as well here.

I tried that too at first, yeah. Finally beat it with Fox- running attack seems to launch people really well, as does the Up+B move. Also he's faster and can sorta zip around KO'ing people before they can land and do much of anything. Just keep moving and don't get bogged down into a crowd of Miis.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

matrix ripoff posted:

There has to be some sort of lag threshold I can set when playing online, right? I've had all of two online fights where it WASN'T a slide show. I go from a four man brawl where the lag is barely acceptable, to a one on one where the lag was so comical hyperbole doesn't do it justice. The in-game clock said the match lasted thirty seconds but the goddamn game lasted two minutes; that's how bad it was.

I did port forwarding, and I've already come to accept that I live with monstrously lovely internet courtesy of Time Warner, but surely Nintendo did a thing where it's like "okay, don't connect to any games with pings above one billion."

If all your matches are laggy its you. You're the one causing the lag.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wildtortilla posted:

How does Wario unlock? I checked two unlock guides that both said clearing 100 man melee unlocks Wario. I did 100 man melee, it unlocked Dark Pit, and I am not happy.

Did you try playing a quick Smash and killing yourself? Sometimes if you unlock multiple things at once, you have to play another match to get the next person to unlock, if that makes any sense.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

greatn posted:

If? He literally posted the words Time Warner. Let's go w/ objectively.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did you try playing a quick Smash and killing yourself? Sometimes if you unlock multiple things at once, you have to play another match to get the next person to unlock, if that makes any sense.

Yes.

After work tonight I will begin my quest for Wario again. I'll be sure to post in this something awful thread because you all seem concerned about the lack of Wario in my life.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The lack of Wario in your life is my overriding concern these days. Truly, I feel sorrow for your loss, because Wario is the best.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes.

After work tonight I will begin my quest for Wario again. I'll be sure to post in this something awful thread because you all seem concerned about the lack of Wario in my life.

If you literally don't see him there beside BowJu and you haven't already done All star on normal (Dark Pit's unlock) then that's bizarre.

I'll assume you have Falco?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

zolthorg posted:

If you literally don't see him there beside BowJu and you haven't already done All star on normal (Dark Pit's unlock) then that's bizarre.

I'll assume you have Falco?

I have Falco, yes.

ConfusedUs posted:

The lack of Wario in your life is my overriding concern these days. Truly, I feel sorrow for your loss, because Wario is the best.

We will get through this together.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I want to unlock ROB already to get Full Allstar. What are the requirements to get him? Additionally, how do I get the Alt Trophies? Just hope the trophy shop has them?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Man I want to unlock ROB already to get Full Allstar. What are the requirements to get him? Additionally, how do I get the Alt Trophies? Just hope the trophy shop has them?

You need to beat ten rounds in Crazy Orders, then defeat Crazy Hand. You'll face ROB after that.

The Alt trophies are normal trophies, so they can be found in the shop, randomly dropped, or Trophy Rush.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Calaveron posted:

R.O.B. is Defeat Crazy Hand after completing 10 matches in Crazy Orders or 60 VS matches

Also alt playable character trophies are awarded for beating True All-Star mode with that character on any difficulty :downs:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

In melee you used tobe able to force a specific victory animatin for your character when you won by holding down a button at the end of the match, is this still possible?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

About halfway through it becomes a blastzones-free compilation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OynbwQ5k_I

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

greatn posted:

So all laggy matches are my fault? All in perpetuity? It is impossible for someone else to have a lovely connection, and therefore be causing a laggy match? Because I've had non-laggy matches. The lag changes with the players I connect to. I don't understand what you're saying here.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Have there been any good/entertaining gifs? I was looking forward to the wii u release because the videos/gifs of crazy poo poo wouldn't be crap 3DS quality but smash subreddit is on some stupid text only mode now because apparently for glory gifs are low content. Because posting about how much everyone wants to suck Sakurai's dick is so much better.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Have there been any good/entertaining gifs? I was looking forward to the wii u release because the videos/gifs of crazy poo poo wouldn't be crap 3DS quality but smash subreddit is on some stupid text only mode now because apparently for glory gifs are low content. Because posting about how much everyone wants to suck Sakurai's dick is so much better.

That's dumb because thats like the best way to get random content. From a massive online playerbase. (Even if you doubt their website taste).
I guess people just instinctively feel like they're going to get worse recordings off their t.v. then off their. 3ds from their smartphone cams? There are a lot of videos probably not being re-recorded because "everyone has seen this before" and people taking For Glory mode more seriously now?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Chieves posted:

Is there a good recommended loadout for 9.0 classic? I've gotten close with Dedede and his gordos, but I don't know what equipment/ custom moves should be used. Or another character in general, I dunno.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but load up on defense and use Ness. PK Flash the gently caress out of Master Core.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So is the AI that 'learns' from the Amiibos more of a challenge than the level 9 CPU? I really hate playing online due to the random lag and I don't have the time or opportunity to play with friends since we all have kids/jobs/responsibilities but the refined CPU is tempting me to pick the game up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How do I get better at this game? Which mode will help?

I last Smashed in college on the GameCube and I remember the basics, but now I keep just instinctively button-mashing and it makes me terrible. Is this called getting old or is there hope for me yet?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mdemone posted:

I last Smashed in college on the GameCube and I remember the basics, but now I keep just instinctively button-mashing and it makes me terrible. Is this called getting old or is there hope for me yet?

Research the drat controls (not advanced techniques, just poo poo like how to roll, what tilts are, what your character's specials are), and play itemless 1v1 Smash with some moderate AIs (level 3-5 should do it) in a conservative way until you start to get the hang of things like spacing and timing.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Master Fortress loving sucks. It's not like Classic mode is enough of a grueling slog to clear already, let's throw a gauntlet to run on top of the string of 5 bosses in a row, AND make it the primary way to make money!
Give 'em a heart container.
Yeah.
Like that.
Good.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like the idea of Master Fortress but I don't like the whole "get stunlocked by lasers" aspect of Master Fortress.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Chieves posted:

Is there a good recommended loadout for 9.0 classic? I've gotten close with Dedede and his gordos, but I don't know what equipment/ custom moves should be used. Or another character in general, I dunno.

I did it with Dedede today. I just took my two biggest +damage items and my biggest +def item to make my defense positive again. Speed doesn't matter at all. When your penguin's that big and beefy his Gordos will wreck every form of Master Core and just normal swings will blast Master Fortress's hearts.

Just remember that killing those laser things is top priority and that you can throw the Stalfos to completely negate their shield.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This game really needs a Gemini Man Stage music remix.

That's like the one Mega Man 3 song that really shouldn't be missing from this game, but is.

I really wanted some Mega Man X remixes but I knew that was too much to hope for.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 24, 2014

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This game really needs a Gemini Man Stage music remix.

That's like the one Mega Man 3 song that really shouldn't be missing from this game, but is.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They're clearly saving it for the Gemini Man DLC.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It would have been awesome if there were a few tracks from other Capcom and Sega series. Even just one Street Fighter or Phoenix Wright song on Wily Castle would have been great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mdemone posted:

mind the walrus posted:

Research the drat controls (not advanced techniques, just poo poo like how to roll, what tilts are, what your character's specials are), and play itemless 1v1 Smash with some moderate AIs (level 3-5 should do it) in a conservative way until you start to get the hang of things like spacing and timing.

This, and play as Mega Man a lot.

I've played this game for at least 15 hours now, and in that time, I've only beaten Classic Mode as seven different characters (mostly Mega Man), and I've only beaten All-Star Mode as ONE character (again, mostly Mega Man).

I just finished unlocking all the characters last night, but the only stages I've unlocked so far are the Kongo Jungle 64 and I think the Duck Hunt stage.

I've got a lot to catch up on.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I like the idea of Master Fortress but I don't like the whole "get stunlocked by lasers" aspect of Master Fortress.

Bonus points for a challenge involving you beating Classic at 9.0 without losing a single life.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah, playing a stripped-down 1v1 match is probably my best hope. I did just beat Classic on 4.0 with Yoshi, so I'm not hopeless.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Louisgod posted:

So is the AI that 'learns' from the Amiibos more of a challenge than the level 9 CPU? I really hate playing online due to the random lag and I don't have the time or opportunity to play with friends since we all have kids/jobs/responsibilities but the refined CPU is tempting me to pick the game up.

They're far, far more dangerous then any level 9 could ever dream of being if you train them up. I can barely get a win on mine and they keep getting better :negative:.

Also there's something funny about unlocking the King K Rool trophy and you can't put it in a trophy box. It's exiled completely.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Slur posted:

Bonus points for a challenge involving you beating Classic at 9.0 without losing a single life.

Gonna go on a limb and say this is impossible without serious luck or cheesing the master core battles

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They're far, far more dangerous then any level 9 could ever dream of being if you train them up. I can barely get a win on mine and they keep getting better :negative:.

Rad, thanks for confirming. Sounds like amiibos actually have a decent use outside collecting dust on a shelf.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Gonna go on a limb and say this is impossible without serious luck or cheesing the master core battles

Going to guess it has something to do with Auto-healer Defense, Shield-healer Defense, and that one Badge you unlock with 8 Cruel Smash k.o's on Lucina called "Vampire Brawn" or somesuch to keep healing yourself and baiting the matches out.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Can you train Amiibos to be really terrible at fighting? Like if you go into a match with an Amiibo and just keep taunting over and over will they learn that?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ended up buying a bunch of Amiibos with this game. I was at GameStop picking up my preorder and the guy told me what Amiibos they had in stock, and I basically mimicked Elaine buying the case of sponges on Seinfeld.

Now I have 8 Amiibos, all unopened because I plan on building a shelf for them before I open them, and I intend to buy more at a later date.

I regret nothing. :spergin:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno what level it is that the Amiibos get competent, but I have a Samus at level 28 and she is yet to consistently take even one stock off of me. I haven't fed her any gear though, so maybe it's just expected that you buff them and they just get strong rather than useful.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Can you train Amiibos to be really terrible at fighting? Like if you go into a match with an Amiibo and just keep taunting over and over will they learn that?

People are apparently training them to throw masterballs in box shaped stages and pick up trophies / CDs so kind-of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm collecting these Amiibo glory/horror stories for an Amiibo thread that no one asked for.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683298

• Locked thread