Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that's the thing I'd disagree with. Some of them are certainly better about it than others (the Nemesis system in SoM) but at the end of the day they're literal sandboxes where it depends on player interaction to keep up with things. I mean I obviously found SoM to be less repetitive but there's someone in the thread who did nothing but spam throwing daggers 24/7 and hated it.

In the case of AC4, there's actually a fair amount to do. It's repetitive as hell at its core but if the illusion works for you then it works for you. You can go diving or take down forts or battle the giant super-ships or try to capture ships in different ways or whatever. You don't need to do most of that and in the end it does involve doing the same things over and over, but the illusion of those same things being worthwhile tends to be the important thing. That is why the Nemesis system is such a neat idea. You're basically fighting the same Orcs over and over again but it provides just enough of an illusion of difference that it disguises the repetition and lack of enemy types.

I mean variety is a good thing but at the end of the day there are no sandbox games that really have enough original content to pad out their game worlds. What really matters is if the content they do have manages to grab you. (And obviously isn't a broken mess or whatever, which AC unfortunately is kind of iffy on providing.) I think AC4 worked for people because it really did provide the idea that there was a lot to do. You could go in a direction and have something to do, even if it was just diving in a wreck or liberating a plantation or solving one of the gylph puzzles. You could even pop out of the Animus and go exploring Ubisoft to play minigames if you wanted. lovely minigames but whatever.

In comparison Unity feels really empty and barren. There's not much there besides the co-op missions, climbing things and a few lackluster side missions. The world is huge and detailed but despite not being that much more repetitive than AC4 it feels more repetitive.

I'm mostly with you except for the part where you don't think there's a lot of similar glyph/plantation/etc stuff in Unity, given every lookout just shits out sidequests, the Nostradamus puzzles, and murder mysteries. I've gone from Shadows of Mordor to Sunset Overdrive to Unity and if anything Unity has the most "stuff" lying in-between the player and the next mission, particularly if you do the co-op missions. Shadows was IMO an anomaly in how little "rich" side content there was to do besides the main missions. What I do find less interesting compared to AC4 is that AC4 significatnly changed up the coats of paint on that side-content, while Unity mostly sticks to Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

I'm mostly with you except for the part where you don't think there's a lot of similar glyph/plantation/etc stuff in Unity, given every lookout just shits out sidequests, the Nostradamus puzzles, and murder mysteries. I've gone from Shadows of Mordor to Sunset Overdrive to Unity and if anything Unity has the most "stuff" lying in-between the player and the next mission, particularly if you do the co-op missions. Shadows was IMO an anomaly in how little "rich" side content there was to do besides the main missions. What I do find less interesting compared to AC4 is that AC4 significatnly changed up the coats of paint on that side-content, while Unity mostly sticks to Paris.

There is that stuff but it feels a lot more samey. AC4 felt more distinctive to me. Diving was different from glyph-finding which was different from ship-fighting and so-on. AC:U certainly has some of that stuff but a good chunk of it, especially the co-op missions, feel very samey.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

There is that stuff but it feels a lot more samey. AC4 felt more distinctive to me. Diving was different from glyph-finding which was different from ship-fighting and so-on. AC:U certainly has some of that stuff but a good chunk of it, especially the co-op missions, feel very samey.

I agree, I think; I've been playing Unity in scattered chunks but as I progress the samey-ness does seem to be seeping in. I think two issues that lead to this problem are the lack of "why" in the main plot and not having any real investment in the cafe. For the former, the villa, homestead, and particularly the ship (screw my pirate house) in previous AC games gave a sense of actual purpose for engaging in the side-content (so did the goofy "uncover the past" glyph things).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

I agree, I think; I've been playing Unity in scattered chunks but as I progress the samey-ness does seem to be seeping in. I think two issues that lead to this problem are the lack of "why" in the main plot and not having any real investment in the cafe. For the former, the villa, homestead, and particularly the ship (screw my pirate house) in previous AC games gave a sense of actual purpose for engaging in the side-content (so did the goofy "uncover the past" glyph things).

Yeah, I'm not going to say I'm a big fan of the overaching metaplot in AC but AC4 gave you a lot of ways to engage in it, both in and out of the Animus. In AC:U it feels so perfunctory that the in-game excuse for multiplayer is just "uh, well, you like multiplayer in games, right?" That sort of sums up AC:U's approach to the side content. It feels very obligatory without much backing it up.

In Unity I felt no drive at all to do the sidequests, not even at amusement over goofy files or to get neat upgrades or whatever. The Helix Credits thing hurt the game a fair bit I think. The previous games had a much more solid "do this sidequest to unlock this cool thing" feeling while AC:U loses that in favor of "grind a whole fuckload of money to unlock this cool thing."

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Just got to the end of sequence 5 in Rogue where you kill Adewale. I feel like the worst person in the world now. On the plus side, he got to tell Haytham how ashamed Edward would be if he know what Haytham had become, which is basically everything I wanted from the game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So just to chime in, in case anyone is in a similar situation and is wondering about this, I've got a 755m SLI and this game runs just well enough (at 720p). It's a marginally pretty game and I've only played for about an hour or so but it is one of the poorest optimized games in recent memory. For reverence Shadows of Mordor runs at 1080p with all medium/high settings.

Just initial feelings are that I still like it in spite of all this poo poo because I studied a lot of art in college and it's super fun to be running around and seeing all of this stuff. It feels like 2 to me, which was my favorite, so if you are in the same boat and wanted more of what 2 offered in a very lovely package, look no further.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if you are in the same boat and wanted more of what 2 offered in a very lovely package, look no further.

Better than Game Informers review.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Has anyone had any luck beating the last legendary sea battle in Rogue? I can't seem to get the job done after multiple close attempts. Some people have suggested the burning oil but I can't get it to work well.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is the asscree initiates thing even supposed to do anything? I have done a lot of the stuff you are supposed to do for badges and stuff but none of it is marked as completed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sandweed posted:

Is the asscree initiates thing even supposed to do anything? I have done a lot of the stuff you are supposed to do for badges and stuff but none of it is marked as completed.

As has been mentioned before, it's supposed to, yes, but in the usual style, the servers are all hosed up and nothing's showing up.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Not to mention one of the big draws to Initiates in its earlier version was that it contained a lot of background info on the series, as well as did regular updates to its modern-day storyline.

The new version cut all of that out for some bizarre reason.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Why does nobody get alarmed when they see their buddy seemingly jump out a fourth story window? Was it well known that he was suicidal and likely to jump, so nobody thinks anything of it when he takes the plunge?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When it comes to the current-day storyline I actually feel for Ubisoft. In every part of the franchise this was the section under the heaviest criticizm no matter how good a game was.

When Desmond's storyline was unfolding everybody laughed at this whiny, goofy gently caress and couldn't skip his cutscenes fast enough and Ubisoft has been cutting that part away more and more with every title. I'm even sure they killed the guy off just to have an excuse to get the current-day events to the bare minimum as they were extremely unpopular.

Now that people got what they were asking for where this aspect has been reduced to the thin meta layer that is basically just an excuse to jump around in time in the 'real game' - other players who silently enjoyed Desmond's plot are rising their heads. As a developer of a big well known franchise you just can't satisfy every taste.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

As a developer of a big well known franchise you just can't satisfy every taste.

What if you divide the work on the game between multiple studios and attempt to capture as man6 as genres as possible

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

When it comes to the current-day storyline I actually feel for Ubisoft. In every part of the franchise this was the section under the heaviest criticizm no matter how good a game was.

lol why? they knew what they were doing when they put out a poorly optimized game that is barely held together. if they really were trying to "give people what they want" they'd omit all the intrusive poo poo and maybe do more testing before, god forbid, we go a year without a loving AC installment.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Has anyone had any luck beating the last legendary sea battle in Rogue? I can't seem to get the job done after multiple close attempts. Some people have suggested the burning oil but I can't get it to work well.

It took me over 20 tries and when I beat it, I actually did really really well. The trick is avoiding the broadside attack, which you can do if you frequently switch to full stop. It throws off the timing of the Storm Fortress and it will rarely hit you that way. Same with its mortar attacks, move to full stop, turn in the direction of the Storm Fortress, then go to full sail and get a speed boost by doing the ram charge move.

Don't sacrifice health for some mortar hits, I think I mainly used my broadside and only used mortars at the end when you get bum rushed. When the Scepter and Argonaut come into the fray, focus on Storm Fortress until it's dead. Then you can fight the other two at your leisure.

It's frustrating because in my case, it was mostly luck. Don't hurt yourself or break your TV in the process.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Palpek posted:

Come to think of it, in the first game you could read Vidic's email in the out-of-animus bits and there were hints that the world was about to end. Some highlights:

quote:

Nearly 6 years later, little progress has been made in dealing with the repercussions of what history books now refer to as 'The Second Plague'. With nearly 96% of its population decimated over a 3-month period, the continent of Africa is now virtually uninhabited.

Concerned about record numbers of illegal immigrants entering his country, the President of Mexico today promised to ramp up border security. The number of troops stationed along the border is expected to triple. Opponents are worried about an increase in violence between American refugees and Mexican troops. Fighting between the two groups has left 300 dead and nearly 1000 wounded over the past six months.

Nation Mourns the Loss of Final Film Studio: History was made today with the closing of the country's last movie studio. The rising prominence of video games coupled with rampant piracy are considered to be the leading causes of its demise.

Increasingly erratic weather patterns have caused the Global Weather Association to abolish the term 'Hurricane Season'. Once confined to the months of June through November, hurricane duration, frequency, strength, and location have increased to the point where most coastal cities must now live in constant fear of these devastating storms.

Of course, none of this was ever mentioned again and it seems like the world outside the animus is chugging along well enough to make VR video games a viable industry.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
AC1 animus stuff was sort of interesting. AC2 got a little weird, but was still salvageable and set up some cool Subject 16 stuff. Then Brotherhood painted the present-day plot into a corner and it got horrible.

The last one I finished was AC3 and I didn't even remember how it ended. Present day or Revolution era plot were both so stupid

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol why? they knew what they were doing when they put out a poorly optimized game that is barely held together. if they really were trying to "give people what they want" they'd omit all the intrusive poo poo and maybe do more testing before, god forbid, we go a year without a loving AC installment.

So did you miss the part where Palpek was only talking about the modern storyline or

I think they should have stuck to their guns and focused on making Desmond's story worthwhile and entertaining to those who didn't like him at first. Instead they tried to have it both ways and have the modern story be super important...but mostly able to be shunted off to the side except for some bits at the beginning and end. And then it didn't really work for anybody. But I'm a bitter Desmond fan so I'm biased.

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, in the first game you could read Vidic's email in the out-of-animus bits and there were hints that the world was about to end. Some highlights:

Of course, none of this was ever mentioned again and it seems like the world outside the animus is chugging along well enough to make VR video games a viable industry.

What's also weird to me is that none of the dialogue with Vidic seems to reflect this state of looming catastrophe, and Desmond acts like he lives in a world pretty in line with our own. I guess this is just another way the original AC was sort of a beta test.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

I thought it was done by the same weird hacker dude who also gives you the "real" story in Liberation. I think his/their name was Erebus or Erudito or something like that, it was in the old Initiates. He was just loving with Abstergo, kind of disappointing but there ya go :shrug:.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Palpek posted:

Now that people got what they were asking for where this aspect has been reduced to the thin meta layer that is basically just an excuse to jump around in time in the 'real game' - other players who silently enjoyed Desmond's plot are rising their heads. As a developer of a big well known franchise you just can't satisfy every taste.

I still believe that AC4 hit a good balance with this. It kept the mandatory modern-day sections to a minimum, while leaving room to go explore and find a bunch of cool poo poo if you were into it.

That way it satisfied people who just wanted to get back to being a pirate, and those who like the meta-narrative as well.

I don't think every AC game needs to do it exactly the same way (first-person, with the Abstergo Entertainment offices), but I think the balance it offered was good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

macnbc posted:

I still believe that AC4 hit a good balance with this. It kept the mandatory modern-day sections to a minimum, while leaving room to go explore and find a bunch of cool poo poo if you were into it.

That way it satisfied people who just wanted to get back to being a pirate, and those who like the meta-narrative as well.

I don't think every AC game needs to do it exactly the same way (first-person, with the Abstergo Entertainment offices), but I think the balance it offered was good.

And yet people were still angryposting about how this game was forcing them to do bullshit modern day stuff (even though if they actually played the game instead of bitching to the internet about it, they'd realize it literally took maybe five minutes if you didn't take any time to explore and then you were right back to piracy).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Crappy Jack posted:

And yet people were still angryposting about how this game was forcing them to do bullshit modern day stuff (even though if they actually played the game instead of bitching to the internet about it, they'd realize it literally took maybe five minutes if you didn't take any time to explore and then you were right back to piracy).

People are going to angrypost about literally everything though. There are people who think AC4 was the best game in the series, and there are people who think it's the worst. People play the games for different reasons and enjoy different things.

The best you can do is come up with a balance that pisses off the least number of people, and I personally feel AC4 did the best job of hitting that balance.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

macnbc posted:

People are going to angrypost about literally everything though. There are people who think AC4 was the best game in the series, and there are people who think it's the worst. People play the games for different reasons and enjoy different things.

The best you can do is come up with a balance that pisses off the least number of people, and I personally feel AC4 did the best job of hitting that balance.

Oh, I completely agree, your post just reminded me of those posts and how they just couldn't, you know, play for five minutes before they went to the internet to complain about it. It's like the video equivalent of watching a movie with your parents, and your mom keeps asking "Who is that guy? What is he doing?" every single time a character appears on screen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I liked the Desmond parts where we got to explore some ruins/hidden temples etc., they were pretty much the main game's mini challenge dungeons. I wouldn't mind if they developed that part to the point where you could expect modern day's tomb raiding to be the most challenging and satisfying climbing in the title. Leave the open world and combat and long missions and all that jazz to the main game while the current day stuff would be more vertical exploring on carefully crafted levels reminescent of Brotherhood's St. Peter's Basilica.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I was also a big fan of the modern story stuff and felt like they killed Desmond off because they couldn't be bothered to progress the modern story. I was also mad as hell at how lame the Desmond mission where you break into Abstergo was.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Razakai posted:

I was also a big fan of the modern story stuff and felt like they killed Desmond off because they couldn't be bothered to progress the modern story. I was also mad as hell at how lame the Desmond mission where you break into Abstergo was.

Yeah, no biggie, it's only the moment the entire series has been building up to, we can totally just half rear end that, it's cool.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I miss the present day stuff too. It was a bit annoying, but it really tied things together in a unique way which created more interesting contrast in the gameplay. It's another piece of the puzzle pointing towards why Unity feels very "flat".

Instead of removing them like everyone said they should they should have made the modern day sections fun. Ta daaa!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Crappy Jack posted:

I enjoy the modern-day stuff but I thought the Frogger hacking was dumb as hell.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, no biggie, it's only the moment the entire series has been building up to, we can totally just half rear end that, it's cool.

Well they half-assed the other moment the entire series has been building up to as well (the whole "saving the world from the solar flare" bit) so two half-asses make a full rear end I guess?

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I hate everybody who didn't like the modern day part of the rear end Creed games. You're all traitors and need to get stabbed in your kidneys.

:(

This is one of my biggest disappointments with Unity so far. (I haven't finished it yet) Very little, or no continuation of the meta story.

I only installed it last Friday, because the new graphics card I wanted was sold out for a while here in Germany and I only got it last Thursday. So, probably because the second patch is already out, I haven't experienced any major bugs and can play the game at Max settings (plus a few additions forced through the nVidia settings).

The worst that has happened was that my local save was destroyed after the first play session, after that I've been backing it up after every play session and it hasn't hosed up again. I already knew about Ubisofts inability to keep cloud saves intact, so this is the first thing I turn off once I get the chance.

Since then, I have played roughly 20 hours, and haven't run into any bugs at all.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it for now mostly. It's not that terrible, I just ignore all the marketing bullshit (companion app, initiate chests, micro transactions).

Co-op mode is completely stupid of course. It shouldn't exist the way it does now. It serves no purpose whatsoever. You can't even loving communicate with people ingame. It's not bad or annoying or anything, I just never feel like I really need or want to do it. Why does it even exist? What's going to happen in a year or so when nobody is playing this anymore? Does that mean you can't get the skillpoints that you need anymore? Does it mean that you don't actually need those skillpoints in the first place? If so, why do the co-op missions reward you with so loving many skillpoints again? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Walking (not running) around Paris made me appreciate the effort that went into the graphics and environment. It also made me think, that whatever is going to come next is going to be set in Paris again in roughly the same time period, because the amount of work that went into making this seems extreme. I mean for the most parts the actual layout of the Real World Paris appears to mirror the layout in the game (I've only been there a few times, but I looked up a few things on google maps when I was doing the Nostradamus riddles). This is surprising to me and makes me a bit sad for the people who put so much work into this, because so far the game is just so average aside from that.

I don't know I'll probably vomit some more once I finished the main story. (I've only finished sequence 5 so far)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I haven't played Unity yet (still enjoying exploring in Rogue and waiting for Unity's price to drop), but Rogue does advance the modern day story in some little tiny baby steps.

I think Ubisoft figured only one of their games needed to bother with it.

Hopefully it leads somewhere in next year's edition.

I can't believe I managed to type that with a straight face.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

macnbc posted:

I haven't played Unity yet (still enjoying exploring in Rogue and waiting for Unity's price to drop), but Rogue does advance the modern day story in some little tiny baby steps.

I think Ubisoft figured only one of their games needed to bother with it.

Hopefully it leads somewhere in next year's edition.

I can't believe I managed to type that with a straight face.

Maybe next year they will release 3 different rear end creed games at the same time!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crappy Jack posted:

I am not satisfied until Ubi completely remove all the modern day stuff. Just boot me straight up to Paris and have a NPC hooked me up with the Assassins' guild.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Desmond worked really well as the everyman that a story like this needs. He doesn't know what the christ is going on and everyone around him has to explain poo poo basically. While not exactly the same it's how, say, Luke Skywalker was in the original Star Wars films. Using him they managed to convey things and over the three movies grow him as a character too.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Brotherhood and Black Flag had the best modern day story stuff. If you liked it, you could indulge it. If you didn't, you could stay in the Animus all the time except for the short periods you needed to leave it.

Pls bring back the modern storyline Ubisoft. :(

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Wasn't watchdogs supposed to be a modern day Asscreed game before they made it into GTA with hacking?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I would kill for a Rocksteady Batman game powered by the Nemesis system.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

hiddenriverninja posted:

I would kill for a Rocksteady Batman game powered by the Nemesis system.

I'm still calling it that the next Assassins Creed game has some form of the Nemesis system in one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nemesis system wouldn't work in a Batman game because nobody escapes.

• Locked thread